Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups and Ice Cream

Happy Memorial Day weekend! Summer’s here, or almost. Let’s pretend it’s sweltering out and there would be nothing better than enjoying chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, and chocolate sauce as it’s dripping into a sweet puddle.

Actually, I don’t need it to be summertime for that to sound good but summer is at least a good excuse for the melting ice cream part.

I used this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Häagen-Dazs® Ice Cream.

It’s the creamiest, smoothest, best cookie dough ice cream I’ve ever had.

The vanilla base is so rich and smooth. I wonder how many real vanilla beans they used to give it such intense vanilla flavor.

And how much butterfat they used to give it such intense creaminess. We won’t think about that.

Making cookies in a muffin tin is something I haven’t done in awhile. The last time I did it was these peanut butter cup-stuffed cookie cups.

I almost made these cookie cups in my whoopie pie pan because deep dish cookies would make a perfect vehicle for ice cream. However, since not everyone has a whoopie pie pan, but muffin pans are pretty universal, that’s what I used.

Nothing wrong with tossing the extra cookie cups that don’t get used with ice cream into your husband’s lunch bag. Or your own lunch bag.

Scoop the ice cream.

Drizzle the chocolate sauce.

Cookie Dough Ice Cream resting on top of a chewy cookie cup is one way to get in your Recommended Daily Allowance of cookie dough.

Although I made homemade cookie dough for the cups, you can use store-bought refrigerated cookie dough to save time.

I recommend doctoring it up with extra chocolate chips if you use pre-made dough. No one likes a cookie cup that’s skimpy on the chips.

I love ice when it gets melty. Actually, I take the carton out at least 20 minutes beforehand to allow ample softening and melting time.

The soupier the better especially when the chocolate sauce gets all swirled into the melty mess.

I’ve been known to set out a carton of cookie dough ice cream, wait for it to get melty, and then pick out all the cookie dough balls and then leave the rest for Scott. Whoops.

In the past he’s said things like, “Oh this is really good vanilla ice cream.”  Sure honey, “vanilla”. Minus the 17 cookie dough balls I removed.

Summer is officially here. Call the neighbors, fire up the barbeque, get the ice cream out, and get ready for a party.

Or skip the neighbors and have a party for yourself.

[print_this]

Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups and Ice Cream

Makes about 18 cups

1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 large egg

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (plus 2 tablespoons, if dough is sticky)

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup white chocolate chips (or use butterscotch, peanut butter, or exclusively use all semi-sweet chocolate chips)

Häagen-Dazs® Ice Cream – I used the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor

hot fudge or chocolate ice cream sauce, optional

whipped topping or whipped cream, optional

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a standard 12-count muffin pan with paper liners. In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, sugars, and cream for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high speed, stopping at least once to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg, vanilla, and beat for 2 to 3 more minutes on medium-high speed, stopping at least once to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the flour, baking soda, and mix until just combined, no more than one minute. Add the chips and beat for 5 to 10 seconds or fold in by hand.

Place 2 rounded tablespoons of dough into each paper muffin liner and press down firmly to pack down the dough. The liners should be filled about three-quarters of the way full. Add more (or less) dough to each cup as needed, pressing down after each addition. (The dough does rise while baking, but not tremendously so, as with a muffin or cupcake.) Bake for 11 to 15 minutes or until the tops have risen and have barely begun to brown, taking care not to overbake. It’s okay if these seem a bit underdone as they will continue to set up as they cool and you want them gooey. Allow the cookie cups to cool in the muffin pan for at least 15 minutes before removing them.

Top each with cookie cup generous scoop of ice cream. Optionally, garnish with whipped topping or whipped cream; chocolate, caramel, or butterscotch sauce, maraschino cherries, sprinkles, coconut flakes, nuts, diced candy pieces, or other favorite ice cream sundae toppings.

Store extra cookie cups in an airtight container for up to one week on the counter or refrigerator or up to three months in the freezer.

Note: If desired, use refrigerated pre-made cookie dough rather than making your own cookie dough. I suggest doctoring up the dough by adding semi-sweet and/or white chocolate chips as premade dough tends to be a little skimpy on the chips. I estimate that you could make between 8 and 10 cups per standard flat package of dough. I’d buy two packages for a 12 to 15 cup yield (guesstimate).

[/print_this]

Related Recipes:

Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dark Chocolate & Caramel-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies with PB Cups & PB M&M’s – these hold a scoop or two of ice cream so well

In case you just want to eat cookie dough:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (No-Bake, vegan, GF)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (No-Bake, vegan, GF)

Have you ever made cookies in a muffin or whoppie pie pan or do you have an absolute favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe?

Link it up

What’s your favorite ice cream?

Thanks for the Gluten and Allergen-Free Baking Cookbooks Giveaway entries and Happy Memorial Day!

As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I received a stipend and coupons for free Häagen-Dazs® ice cream

88 Responses to “Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups and Ice Cream”

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Cookie dough ice cream is one of my favorites, these cute cookie cups look absolutely delish!

Marjorie (Sugar for the Brain) — May 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm

OMG!!! It looks totally divine! Absolutely yummy! Beautiful photos too!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 27, 2012 at 3:52 pm

It’s hot hot hot here so the ice cream looks fantastic. When I was a kid, it was Rocky Road all the way. Now, I like something like a pecans and praline or caramel.

Jess @ Keeping It Real Food — May 27, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I hardly ever buy ice cream anymore since I realized I really only like going out for it or people to share it with, but I do have some fond memories from one summer during college where my friends and I would walk around Boston at night and share a pint of Haggen Daas cookie dough ice cream. Clearly, this was before we’d turned 21 ; )

Thanks for the recipe—these look amazing!

Pure2raw twins — May 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm

YUM! YUM! YUM!

cookie dough ice cream was a fav for us growing up! along with chocolate chip cookie cake ;)

j3nn — May 27, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Haagen Dazs makes cookie dough? BRB going to store…

I’m drooling. I’ve been craving ice cream with chocolate syrup, the cookie part is an added bonus that I wouldn’t reject. :D

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Averie, I am LOVING this post. Not only the recipe (obviously!) but the pictures! The purple is a huge color pop – perfect for summertime :)

I’m a cookie dough fanatic recently. I’ve never had Haagen Dazs chic chip cookie dough ice cream though. Haagen Dazs is so creamy and rich, love their ice creams. Hope you have a wonderful memorial day!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Some of my trips to the fabric store paid off. I loved this color with this ice cream. It just totally worked for my eyes, aesthetically. Both on camera and in person. Sometimes no matter what I do, I cannot get things to POP on cam like they appear in real life. This one I thought worked both ways!

Cassie — May 27, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Oh my goodness, yes! Cookie cups are so perfect for ice cream. And I choose not to pay attention to the butterfat content of ice cream. I’m way better off not knowing, enjoying the scoop that I have, and then enjoying my run the next morning. I will definitely run for one of these!

vanillasugarblog — May 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm

ohh girl you know how to do cc cookie gone crazy just right.
    I’ve been eating so much ice cream lately….and I love every minute of it, but it will catch up with me. sadly.

Sue/the view from great island — May 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I like the way you think!!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 27, 2012 at 6:20 pm

My favourite icecream can only be purchased at Safeway, and it is called Nuttin’ Better. I also love DQ icecream.

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — May 27, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Cookies in cupcake cups – what a CUTE idea! Drooling over the thought of gluten free cookies topped with soy ice cream!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Yes these are pretty easy to take vegan/GF by making a vegan/GF go-to chocolate cookie recipe you have or know of, and then ice cream that’s vegan/GF and you’re there :)

katie — May 27, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Ooohhh. I made these today for a BBQ also! I use mini tins and the cookies are perfect….thick and chewy and delicious! I willdefinitely think about ice cream next time! Yummmmmmm

Adam @ Maki Zavelli — May 27, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Yum-o!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — May 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm

you’ve outdone yourself again! your recipes get more & more mouth watering and gorgeous every day!! I’m with you, I can hop on board an ice cream cookie ANY time of year! Sign me up! :) your pictures are fabulously tempting! thanks for sharing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 9:25 pm

You are so sweet and I was really happy with how these turned out. Given that ice cream melts and sauce drips, I had to have it all READY and planned out really well!

Ellen — May 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I have made brownies in muffin tins!
    As for favorite ice cream, it’s a toss up. Depending on my mood it’s cookie dough, peanut butter, mint chocolate chip or cookies and cream.

B @ Crags and Veggies — May 27, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Oh wow, those look delicious! I love the gooey look of the melting ice cream! Desserts are always better when covered with melting ice cream and chocolate sauce!

Paula — May 27, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m also guilty of picking out the cookie dough balls (or the chocolate covered peanuts in moose tracks flavor). I dig around a little to find what I can and then pack it back down in the carton. I should try cookies in a muffin tin–they will be extra thick and chewey. The chocolate coconut cashew butter is divine! It also worked as “frosting” for my protein brownie with banana soft serve.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Yes, “frosting”!!! YAY!!! I am so glad you made it! And protein brownie with banana soft serve sounds so good, too! Try the muffin tin cookies…pretty much foolproof!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm

O-M-G!! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I’m drooling here!!!!! This is the best!!!! Happy Memorial Day!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Happy Memorial Day right back at you! Hope the weather is nice up there for you guys!

Baker Street — May 27, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Cookie dough ice cream is a personal favorite. This looks absolutely divine, A!

Heathy — May 27, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Averie these look amazzzing! Cookie dough ice cream is a long time fave flavor of mine and have made it raw.

gloria — May 27, 2012 at 9:46 pm

wow..I have no words!! looks so yumm

xoxo

Katie — May 27, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I’m just going to pretend that you posted this as a birthday gift to me. I’m sure that you did, right? ;)

Cookie cups. Genius. Because cupcakes are cute, but cookies are better. This is the best of both worlds! I am totally with you on the cookie dough chunks – I always got the cookie dough blizzards and just ate the chunks. The ice cream was just meh.

My mom nukes her ice cream for 15-20 seconds and adds a splash of milk to make it melty and creamy. You melty ice cream folk are just weird.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Yes these are so much better than muffins!

And I think I am going to use your mom’s method! Adding cream to ice cream. Now THAT’S a woman from Wisc. Love her thought process!

Spencer — May 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Looks absolutely divine! I would so love to try some. Might have to try and recreate the recipe.

Anna @ hiddenponies — May 27, 2012 at 10:38 pm

These look and sound INCREDIBLE, I love cookie dough and am always on the hunt for perfect cookie dough ice cream…Haagen Daas does it again!

Kristi — May 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm

these look amazing, averie! wonderfully enticing photos as always :)

Sam @ Fit for My Fork — May 28, 2012 at 12:25 am

This might be one of the best things you’ve ever made, as far as I’m concerned. Cookies and ice cream? Ice cream nestled on top of cookies? I’m totally sold!

Kathryn — May 28, 2012 at 1:41 am

Oh goodness, this is pretty much my perfect summer dessert!

Natasha — May 28, 2012 at 2:29 am

Oh Averie, I love you right now. Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream on top of a chocolate chip cookie dough cup? That sounds exactly like heaven.
    And I totally do the thing where I eat out all the chocolate chip cookie dough balls from the Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, too :-)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 28, 2012 at 4:19 am

This is pure deliciousness!! Love it!

Thyme (Sarah) — May 28, 2012 at 4:52 am

Yum! It’s hot and sweltering down here! That would hit the spot

myfudo — May 28, 2012 at 6:35 am

Yes! The melting part is the most attractive description of all…although that Haagen Dazs picture comes a really close second. This is a real wonderful treat! Have a Happy Memorial Weekend celebration!

Leonor@FoodFaithFitness — May 28, 2012 at 6:46 am

I need to get in my daily allowance of cookie dough. ;)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 28, 2012 at 7:14 am

WHOA! You really outdid yourself with these, Averie. They look incredible! As does that Haagen Daz, which I, very sadly, haven’t had in forever!

kris — May 28, 2012 at 8:59 am

mmm – i’ve never made cookies in a muffin tin before…and i think it’s about time i try it. my favorite ice cream always changes, but lately it’s been mint chocolate chip. although chocolate chip cookie dough is sounding preeeetty good right about now…at 10am… ;P

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — May 28, 2012 at 9:25 am

Wow. These pictures are amazing! Happy Memorials Day!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 28, 2012 at 9:46 am

This looks fabulous, great pics and awesome job! I’ve never made whoppie pies and I can’t remember the last time I made muffins, but these look amazing!

Amber K — May 28, 2012 at 11:32 am

Man I miss cookie dough ice cream. But finding a soy-free one that’s also gluten-free is not so easy. Or extremely expensive. I think I found one once but it was over $6 a pint. I like ice cream…but not THAT much. ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Yeah I know allergen-friendly ice cream tends to be super expensive!

Patricia @ thecastironvegan — May 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Looks delicious! I love super-vanillla-y ice cream, too. Back when I ate dairy ice cream, I loved Breyer’s natural vanille – you could actually see the vanilla bean specks in the ice cream. I’m a fan of infusing as much vanilla as possible into every square inch of a baked good or other dessert item. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I think I’ve had that Breyer’s..you can really SEE the vanilla flecks. Love that! And I am the biggest vanilla fan, too!

luv what you do — May 28, 2012 at 12:51 pm

We love the Haagen Daz Cookie Dough but usually eat it straight out of the carton : )

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Trust me, it was hard to photograph these and not just go straight to the carton :)

JoJo — May 28, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I love the warm and cold (or room temperature) combination!
    For example ice cream melting on top of an apple pie.. or this cupcake with ice cream melting on top!!
    This is such a good dessert for the summer coming up!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 2:57 pm

apple pie with ice cream melting on top of it is pretty much amazing, I agree!

deirdre — May 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Those cookie cups/deep dish choco-chippers look delish- with and without the icecream. Your recipes are aces A!!

Courtney — May 28, 2012 at 9:09 pm

All of this chococalety goodness my mouth is watering!!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — May 29, 2012 at 5:51 am

I just finished a 7 mile run in 80 degree heat an hour ago, I think one of these chocolate chip cookie cups with ice cream and chocolate sauce would make the perfect recovery food/refresher, no? ;) These scream Happy Summer!

Alysha @Shesontherun — May 29, 2012 at 8:26 am

Red Velvet cake is my new favorite ice cream – but cookie dough is a classic.

Kristen — May 29, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Holy cow, girl! This looks amazing! I want to lick the screen.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 29th, 2012 at 3:34 pm

you’re so sweet! and thanks for the pin! I re-pinned half of your pin board :) You have the best boards!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — May 29, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I want those cookie cups in my life, like right now for dinner! Gorgeous, Averie!

Deborah — June 5, 2012 at 7:06 am

I love these!! I’ll take cookies and ice cream any day of the week!

Frozen Margarita — June 15, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Those things look just amazing. Now I’m sitting here with my stomach growling.

mzrichee — September 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm

oh my goodness, these looks amazing! i think i’m going to have to try and make them myself now. so. good. thanks for sharing!