Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day. Thank you to everyone who’s ever served our country; past or present. Your service is appreciated!

Some of the highlights served up here include chips with hummus – the four-ingredients and 60-second easy version

with Sweet Corn Salsa and Mango, Lime, Red Pepper Salsa

Mini-watermelons were on sale for $1.99 and it was a good one. Juicy and not mealy; just perfect.

I’m well-hydrated after all the watermelon I’ve had the past day.

I spent time with my girlfriend

And I made a batch of White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting

We had a little get together with some friends and there weren’t any left over.

The winner of the Gluten and Allergen-Free Baking Cookbooks Giveaway is Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips

What did you do today?

Feel free to link up anything delicious you made and enjoy what’s left of your holiday. Happy Memorial Day!

33 Responses to “Happy Memorial Day”

Erin Motz — May 28, 2012 at 5:25 pm

That salsa looks incredible – so fresh and light! And the watermelon DOES look perfect… Every once in a while when I’m craving one I’ll grab one that ends up being soft and blech. That’s the worst! Today I made tacos and spent time with MY girlfriend, the Vitamix ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I spent time with my Vita girlfriend yesterday. We have a nice friendship :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Happy Memorial Day to you!!! Oh, you got me wanting to make some hummus!!!

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — May 28, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Thank you so much! I am so excited about winning the cookbooks, since I have been experimenting with gluten-free baking!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 10:45 pm

So happy you’re excited. Keep me posted what you end up making!

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family — May 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm

You just made me crave watermelon hardcore!

luv what you do — May 28, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Recovered from a crazy long and busy weekend and spent some time sitting on the couch and blogging about it. It was a great day off!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 28, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Happy Memorial Day to you too! It was a very chill day at home for us since I woke not feeling great, oh well. :-/

Baker Street — May 28, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Happy Memorial Day to you too! I love homemade hummus! But I think White Chocolate Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Frosting is clearly the winner today. :)

Paula — May 28, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Happy Memorial Day Averie! Watermelon is sounding good with the heat wave we’ve had here. I picked spinach and kale from my garden and made a great salad with marinated mushrooms from the other day. Our neighbor (across the street) was smoking chickens and dumped the ashes too close to his house. The side caught fire and it went up the side and got into the attic. 3 fire trucks responded so we had some commotion on our otherwise quiet street. Nobody was hurt and it was caught pretty quickly but that is such a scary situation.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Yikes! That’s way too much excitement for a holiday. Glad everyone and everything is okay!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — May 28, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I basically just relaxed and did the norm today. I got to see both of my brothers yesterday, so that was the real fun of my weekend! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Yay for time with the fam! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi :)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — May 28, 2012 at 8:24 pm

white chocolate blondies with a peanut butter frosting — stop teasing me!! haha….jk jk but seriously those sound so ridiculously tasty! and they look gorgeous too! i’m glad you had a nice memorial day! thanks for sharing!

Vita @ Juicer Depot — May 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

That salsa sure does look good. I spent Memorial Day doing planting herbs and tomatoes. Then lwe went to a friend for a bbq. Great day! Hope yours was too.

Ellen — May 28, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Hehe, for a second I thought the “spent time with my girlfriend” was a reference to the KA mixer.
    It wouldnt be too weird if it was. You should hear the names I have for my KA food processor:)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 10:43 pm

The GF reference WAS in reference to my K.A. I don’t have much time for friends these days…but I have time for my K.A. Lol

• Ellen replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Oh, whoops, should have clicked on the girlfriend link…I need to get me one of those!

Michele Sparrow — May 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Went to my sissy’s house and hung out the afternoon and evening. Good times! Guys bbq’d, Marisa (sis) made gluten free brownies and her hubby made homemade strawberry ice cream, I brought the salad, watermelon, gluten free ice cream cones for al the little ones, crackers and…wait for it…Artichoke dip!! They loved it. In fact, it was gone in like 4 minutes! Next time, I will make more. I followed your recipe to a T! :-)

Hope your day was lovely! xo

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 28th, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Wow, that was a fast scarfing down :) Glad to hear it was a hit!

Shirley@bells-bakery — May 29, 2012 at 3:23 am

I love hummous,especially caramilised onion hummus with carrot sticks….to die for!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 29, 2012 at 5:27 am

I totally could have gone for that salsa! I got in a run, lots of house chores and yard work but equal parts pool lounging ;-)

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 29, 2012 at 7:02 am

oh those blondies look so good!! And I totally share your love for mango in salsa!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — May 29, 2012 at 7:07 am

Fuuun! those chips have my mouth pouring with saliva. We just kicked it in the back yard. Perfect day!

Grace — May 29, 2012 at 8:10 am

I hung out by the pool most of the day, swam, hula hooped read, and later on had s’mores by a fire pit it was a pretty nice day:)

Kris | iheartwellness.com — May 29, 2012 at 8:31 am

Hi Love!! I hope you had a great weekend :) This weekend I was driving a LOT getting across province and it was a blast!

I need to come here so I can dream I am eating all your good sweets!!!

xxoo

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — May 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

Congrats to the winner! You really have me craving watermelon now…mmmm. Now if only the weather up the coast here would cooperate! Haha. Never mind – I could probably eat watermelon in any weather!

KrisandT — May 29, 2012 at 10:32 am

Looks delicious, must try it sometime! Please check out our gluten free blog for product reviews, recipes, and GF dining tips!!! We just established our blog for GF dining on a budget! Thankyouthankyou 

CJ at Food Stories — May 29, 2012 at 10:45 am

At my house, we did a lot of nothing :-)

Amber K — May 29, 2012 at 11:40 am

We just stayed in, so no special eats. But then I still can’t eat much of anything until July. Can I please never have gum surgery again?!

bakerbynature — May 30, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Nacos for dinner? You know I’m in!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

That is so cheap for a watermelon!!! We never have sales like that here!