Happy Mother’s Day

Instead of partaking in my usual chores and housework this weekend, I’ll be sitting on the couch with my feet up, looking into my very clean kitchen that I didn’t have to clean.

From my vantage point on the couch with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bowl of bon-bons in the other, I’ll be watching as anyone other than me does the dishes, prepares the meals, cleans up the peanut butter that’s on the floor and the crumbs that went everywhere because a peanut-butter-cracker was accidentally dropped.

Peanut butter and crackers are great in your mouth, not so great on the wood floor.

I’ll also be watching and waiting for the laundry fairy who will do and fold a couple loads for me.

And I’ll be on the lookout for my personal assistant who can do the grocery shopping and carry the grocery bags up six flights of stairs for me, fill out permission slips for the next school field trip, and re-do Skylar’s hair for the tenth time before noon because her ponytail keeps slipping out.

All while I am kicked back with a bowl full of bon-bon’s from the couch.

Oh wait.

Wake up from that dream.

The chances of that happening are about as likely as Hades freezing over.

I’d rather keep others out of the kitchen so nothing breaks, burns, or explodes and since I am well aware that red shirts and white sheets should never be washed together, I’ll be the one in charge of the laundry.

In all seriousness though, I don’t mind. I really don’t. As a mom, it’s just what we do. We keep things running smoothly, or we try to.

However, instead of any complicated menu plans, I will be giving myself a little break in that department and plan to keep things very easy.

Fresh strawberries

A Strawberries and Cream Smoothie

Fresh watermelon

Tempeh and cucumber sticks with balsamic reduction

Vegetables with Cheezy Coconut Sauce

Maybe I’ll fire up the oven for ten whole minutes and toss in some Mango Basil Personal Tortilla Pizzas

Instead of having Scott surprise me with dessert from a fancy boutique dessert bar or something from the Cheesecake Factory, I’ll happily go to town on my own cheesecake.

Coconut Spice Cheesecake Bars

I think Coconut Water Champagne Fruit Punch (Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, No Sugar Added) is in order, too.

Sure beats water.

What are your plans for Mother’s Day Weekend?

We don’t have any formal plans other than to just spend lots of time together. A family walk, brunch at home, and then who knows what we’ll do.

It’s supposed to be in the low 70sF and sunny which is perfect weather to just enjoy the fresh air and watch my peanut run around at the park. That gives me more joy than anything. The simple stuff.

If I could get a foot massage or a back rub from Scott while sitting on a blanket watching Skylar run around, my day would be complete.

If you’re a mom, will you be “taking the day off”?

I’m not “taking the day off” but it’s actually easier if I don’t. That would just mean double the work on Monday since it would have piled up. No thanks.

If you missed my 15 Gift Ideas Under $25 for Mother’s Day post, you could always order something for yourself for that special mom in your life and let her know something special is on the way.

Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms. I hope your day is exactly how you want it. Hug your kids, put your feet up, enjoy those bon-bon’s, or whatever it is that makes your day special! Know that you are a fabulous mom and your kids and families appreciate all that you do!

61 Responses to “Happy Mother’s Day”

Katherine Martinelli — May 12, 2012 at 2:42 am

Haha, very funny. I hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day Averie, and that you do get to put your feet up, at least a little. :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 8:08 am

Thanks…and also for the blog hop/beans/pins you did on a couple recipes of mine.

Shirley@bells-bakery — May 12, 2012 at 4:49 am

Hope you have a lovely day,I too am waiting for the laundry fairy lol

Sam @ Fit for My Fork — May 12, 2012 at 4:59 am

Have a lovely day Averie :) I hope you get to enjoy at least a few bonbons and some extra hugs!

Julia — May 12, 2012 at 5:10 am

I’m waiting for the laundry fairy, dish fairy, well, at this point I’ll take any kind of fairy…
    Happy Mother’s Day, I hope you get a few bon bons and have a great day!

Erica — May 12, 2012 at 5:39 am

hahahhahaha- please send the fairy my way when shes done at your house. So far today I’ve bathed Kaylin, done laundry, bathed the dog and ran out to pick up the last piece of Josh’s present for her Mom. So…ya know…just relaxing with bonbons over here too :) Happy Mother’s day!

j3nn — May 12, 2012 at 6:10 am

Aww, I hope you do get to relax and do what makes you happy this weekend. Skylar is so lucky to have such an awesome mama. Happy Mother’s Day! <3

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 8:06 am

Thanks, Jenn! Hope you and D have a nice, chill weekend, too!

Angela / Canned Time — May 12, 2012 at 6:21 am

Wow, you had me going there for a minute Averie, sorry it was a dream. I was thinking before I got to the ‘dream part’ that you’d be stressed watching them clean in your kitchen though LOL. We’ll miss you details this weekend, although I could stare at those strawberries all day drooling! Take it easy and enjoy! Happy Mother’s Day OFF to you!

Vita @ Juicer Depot — May 12, 2012 at 6:25 am

Have a happy mother’s day Averie and to all mothers. Hope your weekend is wonderful!

Michele Sparrow — May 12, 2012 at 7:25 am

Like you, Averie, my kitchen will remain my domain, even on tomorrow’s special day…and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Part of what gives me joy about being a wife and a mother is the foods I prepare for all my guys and tomorrow, of all days, is no different! As a special addition, we are going to the wharf downtown in Santa Cruz for a nice meal together where we can watch the ocean as we eat (salad for me, awesome seafood for the rest of them) and take a walk on the beach after. Simple plans…which allow me to enjoy the people in my life who are responsible for making tomorrow a special day for me in the first place!

I hope you have a wonderful and happy Mother’s Day with Scott and Skylar! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 8:06 am

Simple plans are best and I hope you guys enjoy your day at the wharf…and yes, keeping your kitchen as your domain, smart :)

Jessica Miller — May 12, 2012 at 7:41 am

I am going to have my husband make your white and dark chocolate cream cheese chocolat cake bars for Mom’s Day. Can’t wait to try them!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 8:05 am

Keep me posted!!

• Jessica Miller replied: — May 13th, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Sinfully delish!

lynn @ the actor's diet — May 12, 2012 at 8:59 am

happy early mother’s day, averie!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes — May 12, 2012 at 9:24 am

hahaha. very nice. also I am still pining away for those pizzas! I think I have everything but the pineapple/mango. so they can probably become a reality for me and my kitchen as soon as I’m home.

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — May 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

Happy Mother’s Day! I’m the same way as you…it makes me nervous to have everyone else in my kitchen and doing laundry…we can dream though…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Happy Mother’s Day to you, too! And yes, keep them all out of the kitchen or near the laundry…dangerous things can happen if they “try to help” :)

Paula — May 12, 2012 at 10:37 am

I’m taking a break from the laundry folding right now! I’m keeping things simple in the kitchen today and using up the last of my vegetable remnants so nothing starts growing in there while I’m gone! All that is left are those Brussels sprouts for dinner tonight and I know they’ll be good! Happy Mother’s Day and have a relaxing weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 3:17 pm

LMK about the sauce/veggies…after all this “hype”, it may not live up to the expectations!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 12, 2012 at 11:41 am

No plans this weekend … but I will call my mom and I am going to visit her next weekend. I will bring her some flowers, some food, and anything else she wants or needs.

Jenny — May 12, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Averie, you had me going there for a minute! I was thinking, “man, I wish I had the day off like she does!” A mother’s work is never done!

CJ at Food Stories — May 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Great dream, Averie … Enjoy your weekend :-)

You’re so funny Averie! Although my sweet husband took me on vacation as a Mother’s day gift I know if I’m home I;d cleaning, cooking and multitasking other house chose.
    Happy Mother’s day! Great round-up!

Katie — May 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I read the first line and was about to skip down here and you call you out on your lies! I know you too well to know you’d take the whole weekend off. Or a day even.

I am about to go kick up my feet and read in my lounge chair outside in the gorgeous weather though. After a very productive morning, I think I deserve it! Even if I’m not a mom.

Alysha @Shesontherun — May 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Your kitchen is gorgeous, Avery. Love it! Tomorrow I’ll be spending the day with my mom and sister (a new mom). We’re going out to eat because no one wants to cook or clean (but I am bringing my chocoholic mother a chocolate truffle cheesecake). Happy Mother’s Day!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Thanks…that photo makes it look bigger than it is…my entire house is 1400 sq ft so the kitchen is tiny! That shot is like…half my house :)

Choc truffle cheesecake? LUCKY mama! :)

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — May 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Happy Mother’s Day, Averie! I hope you do get to put your feet up, enjoy bon bons and praying that the fairy visits you and everyone else on this special weekend :)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva — May 12, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Happy Mothers Day Averie!!! I hope you get spoiled and showered in love :)

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 12, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I am so glad that you are having a nice and relaxing day, Happy Mother’s Day! Also, your kitchen is beautiful, probably a pleasure to cook in!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Lol…the first half of the post was my “dream sequence”..it hasn’t been a super relaxing but that’s okay :)

Ellen — May 12, 2012 at 6:01 pm

My mom is across the country so I’ll be calling her.
    But I have a friend who is a new mom and her husband has to work so I’m gonna go celebrate her.

Kat — May 12, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I don’t have any “plans” for Mother’s day but the hubs says he has something planned for us for lunch. What I’d love is to have a cup of Starbucks, go out for brunch, and hang out with the fam.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 10:55 pm

And I hope you get exactly that! Low key, with the family, and with…coffee in hand :)

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Happy Mother’s Day Averie! I hope you are enjoying your weekend :)

My mom lives in a different city, so I traveled home to spend it with her. We went shopping today and tomorrow I’m going to make her some healthy baked donuts. My mom is my best friend. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 10:54 pm

My mom is my best friend. <– I hope Skylar says that about me one day :)

Laura @ She Eats Well — May 12, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Happy Mothers Day! Mom’s are the best. I sent my Mom a present in the mail since unfortunately I can’t be with her in person…but I am hoping she relaxes and does everything she wants to do tomorrow. Enjoy your day!

Catherine Hoffman — May 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Happy Mothers Day Averie. Thank you for all the amazing recipes, tips and humor you bring to us all. Your infrormation brings pleasue to many and for me it has helped make cooking so much fun again so my hubby sends his thanks too! Happy Mothers Day!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 12th, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Such a sweet comment. Thank you, Catherine!! I really appreciate that you enjoy my recipes (and attempts at humor) :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama — May 13, 2012 at 5:09 am

I so agree that taking the day odd means double the work n Monday. *sigh* Guess its business as usual today. :-)

Alicia @ Treble Tart — May 13, 2012 at 5:14 am

What a great post! Happy Mother’s Day, Averie! I love all the recipes you listed (especially the cheesecake bars — can’t wait to try those!) and your kitchen is to die for!! Enjoy your day today, even if you don’t have a personal assistant or a designated laundry-er. ;)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 13, 2012 at 6:11 am

Happy Mother’s Day Averie. I hope you have a beautiful day!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — May 13, 2012 at 6:57 am

Happy Mother’s Day Averie!!!

Pure2raw twins — May 13, 2012 at 7:14 am

Happy Mother’s Day Averie!!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 13, 2012 at 7:56 am

I love your post today! You crack me up! Happy Mother’s Day my friend!!

Patricia @ thecastironvegan — May 13, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Your kitchen is amazingly clean and SO uncluttered! Even when our kitchen is clean, we still have lots of stuff on the counters – tea thermoses, blender, spice rack, etc. I wish my counters were as clear as yours. Sigh.
    I did manage to stay out of the kitchen today! It’s been glorious. My husband made a full lunch: homemade seitan wtih caper/shallot sauce, brussels sprouts, Indian-spiced green beans, baked sweet potatoes, and a plum crisp for dessert with homemade soy ice cream. YUM. He made something for dinner too; I think it’s black beans and rice and zucchini – one of my favorites!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 13th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

“I wish my counters were as clear as yours. Sigh.” <—they can be! Just take everything off them, find a home for it, either in yours or donate it, and start fresh!

• Patricia @ thecastironvegan replied: — May 13th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Oh, I know….I just hate not having certain things that I use all the time, like olive oil and the immersion blender, not immediately handy. Plus I have a 1 1/2 year old who can get into even child-proofed cabinets, so stuff isn’t necessarily safe even if it’s tucked away. Plus I’m sort of naturally messy :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 13th, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I know, it’s a choice between visual neatness and things being handy..trust me, I know. I hate visual clutter and there are times I wish I was okay with just leaving stuff out…it would be handier but hey, I go for looks most of the time :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 14, 2012 at 9:19 am

Love how clean you kitchen is, very nice! Sound like a nice and relaxing day for you! I celebrated with my mom all weekend shopping with her and helping her house hunt, so it was a fun and productive one for her. :-)