Kicking Off Summer
I always grew up thinking of Memorial Day Weekend as the kickoff to summer. Paradoxically, the weather in San Diego is usually pretty miserable during this time and during most of May and June.
We have what’s called May Gray and June Gloom. Lots of cloudy, dreary overcast skies with rain and chilly winds. Not what most people probably think of when they think Southern California.
I ran with two shirts, a fleece, and gloves on yesterday as mist and wind were pelting me. Definitely not beach weather or the summertime kickoff weather I was hoping for, but we’ll get our summer. In September.
Kicking off summer means:
1. New scents. I am loving Malibu Heat because it makes me smell like a pina colada. If you don’t want to smell like a pina colada, Carried Away is fresh and clean and it was my summer scent last summer. Summer scent, yes, I just said that.
Into the Wild is something the salesperson recommended; I’m still on the fence about a particular note in it. I just I don’t know what note that is. Overall, the scent is growing on me. If nothing else, I love the color of the bottle.
2. Easy salsas and salads like Sweet Corn Salsa with Mango, Lime, Red Pepper (vegan, GF) that play on summer’s abundance of fresh vegetables and fruit.
3. Time at the beach. I wish it was this beach.
The beaches here are still way too cold to even thing about going.
4. Less cooking, more no-cook type meals. Not turning on the oven (unless it’s to bake cookies) and keeping everyday meals as simple as possible.
Fresh fruit for snacks. Srawberries, peaches, apricots, and watermelon.
5. Making time for pleasure reading. Yes, cookbooks can be like novels and are definitely my pleasure reads.
6. Running in shorts and sports bras and ditching the heavy layers (usually this happens by July after the June Gloom is over) is the best.
Having the sun beat down on my skin is just the most invigorating thing. Some people say the heat slows them down but it makes me faster (up to about 90F).
7. Seeing everything in bloom and all the pretty flowers alive and vibrant makes me giddy. Yes, I’ve turned into my grandmother and getting excited about what’s in bloom is something that reminds me of her.
8. Cold drinks that go down smoothly and easily.
9. Longer days and more sunlight means a happier me. I feel like most people are just happier and in better moods overall during in the summer.
The world smiles with summer.
10. Ice cream tastes better in the summer. Recipe coming.
What things mean summertime kickoff for you?
What are your Memorial Day Holiday weekend plans?
If you need ideas for parties or what to make, check this 20 Memorial Day Party Recipes post.
Thanks for the Gluten and Allergen-Free Baking Cookbooks Giveaway entries
Be safe and enjoy your holiday weekend!