Kicking Off Summer

I always grew up thinking of Memorial Day Weekend as the kickoff to summer. Paradoxically, the weather in San Diego is usually pretty miserable during this time and during most of May and June.

We have what’s called May Gray and June Gloom. Lots of cloudy, dreary overcast skies with rain and chilly winds. Not what most people probably think of when they think Southern California.

I ran with two shirts, a fleece, and gloves on yesterday as mist and wind were pelting me. Definitely not beach weather or the summertime kickoff weather I was hoping for, but we’ll get our summer. In September.

Kicking off summer means:

1. New scents. I am loving Malibu Heat because it makes me smell like a pina colada. If you don’t want to smell like a pina colada, Carried Away is fresh and clean and it was my summer scent last summer. Summer scent, yes, I just said that.

Into the Wild is something the salesperson recommended; I’m still on the fence about a particular note in it. I just I don’t know what note that is. Overall, the scent is growing on me. If nothing else, I love the color of the bottle.

2. Easy salsas and salads like Sweet Corn Salsa with Mango, Lime, Red Pepper (vegan, GF) that play on summer’s abundance of fresh vegetables and fruit.

3. Time at the beach. I wish it was this beach.

The beaches here are still way too cold to even thing about going.

4. Less cooking, more no-cook type meals. Not turning on the oven (unless it’s to bake cookies) and keeping everyday meals as simple as possible.

Fresh fruit for snacks. Srawberries, peaches, apricots, and watermelon.

Steamed Brussels’s Sprouts & Broccoli with Cheezy Coconut Sauce is a fave

5. Making time for pleasure reading. Yes, cookbooks can be like novels and are definitely my pleasure reads.

For example, Lindsay’s book is fun, light, easy, and would be perfect to read on a chaise lounge. The cookbook equivalent of a light-hearted yet engaging read, Jennifer Weiner-style.

6. Running in shorts and sports bras and ditching the heavy layers (usually this happens by July after the June Gloom is over) is the best.

Having the sun beat down on my skin is just the most invigorating thing. Some people say the heat slows them down but it makes me faster (up to about 90F).

7. Seeing everything in bloom and all the pretty flowers alive and vibrant makes me giddy. Yes, I’ve turned into my grandmother and getting excited about what’s in bloom is something that reminds me of her.

8. Cold drinks that go down smoothly and easily.

9. Longer days and more sunlight means a happier me. I feel like most people are just happier and in better moods overall during in the summer.

The world smiles with summer.

10. Ice cream tastes better in the summer. Recipe coming.

What things mean summertime kickoff for you?

What are your Memorial Day Holiday weekend plans?

If you need ideas for parties or what to make, check this 20 Memorial Day Party Recipes post.

Thanks for the Gluten and Allergen-Free Baking Cookbooks Giveaway entries

Be safe and enjoy your holiday weekend!

28 Responses to “Kicking Off Summer”

Tiffany — May 26, 2012 at 2:33 am

I love the picture of the flower! It’s so pretty!!!! :) Also, if you haven’t smelled it, my new fav from BBW is the Sunflower Citrus. I’m obsessed. Hadn’t bought anything for myself from BBW for a few years and then bought that ENTIRE line instantly!!! :)

Shirley@bells-bakery — May 26, 2012 at 3:49 am

We are having beautiful weather here in Ireland at the moment. So I’m going to try and squash everything you just said into this weekend (cause to thats probably how long this weather will last and it will probably be our “summer”) Hope you have a great weekend anyway!

Shirley x

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 26th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Well enjoy it while it lasts! know Ireland doesn’t have long summers.

Paula — May 26, 2012 at 4:32 am

I think summer has kicked off here in IN–90 degrees yesterday and for the next few days. My oven is definitely not getting turned on this weekend! I plan to relax by working on my hobbies and puttering around in the kitchen some. I have a big container of mushrooms waiting for a marinade (loving those lately) and my cashews are soaking for the choc coconut cashew butter!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 26th, 2012 at 8:34 am

Oh enjoy the kitchen time, the mushrooms, and the nut butter! Blendddddd forever! :) Keep me posted!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — May 26, 2012 at 6:38 am

Summer: lemonade, tennis, popsicles, sweat, sun, beach, swimming, watermelon, iced tea, smoothies, burgers…

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign — May 26, 2012 at 7:52 am

I never knew California had icky weather during May and June–hopefully these months fly by for you so that you can enjoy the sunshine again!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 26th, 2012 at 8:33 am

People are usually surprised when I mention it. I know I was surprised when I first moved here and experienced it!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — May 26, 2012 at 9:03 am

i have a “summer scent” too:) mine’s Ralph Lauren Blue. I love it! I’m sorry its so cold there right now!! My family’s up in northern Wisconsin for Memorial Day, and it was so cold yesterday that my mom wore her snow suit to go out on the boat!! hahaha enjoy your weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 26th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Now THAT is a true Wisconsin person or Minnesotan…will do anything to sit out on the lake in a boat or freeze in their cabin for the weekend but you GO, period. To not go to the lake would be sacrilege on a holiday weekend no less :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 26, 2012 at 9:05 am

I love cookbooks as pleasure reading! Summer means lots of lounge time by the pool, and ice cream (of course!).

Sara — May 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

Avery – have you tried the lemon gingersnap ice cream from TJ’s yet? Yesterday they were giving out samples with caramel sauce on top – soo delicious!

Amber K — May 26, 2012 at 11:25 am

Thunderstorms and so much raining up here. Definitely not feeling like summer!

luv what you do — May 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Into the Wild is my favorite vacation scent!!! It is a little heavy but perfect for a trip to the Caribbean!
    The Soldier Field 10 Miler and Bike the Drive are the start of summer for me! They make for a super fun wekeend and tomorrow we are hosting a fiesta BBQ. So excited!

Erin Motz — May 26, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Hmm, you know, once I start seeing ripe peaches in the grocery store is when I feel summer coming on. Although, since I live in FL, it’s basically summer from April – October so what do I know! ;) And you’re totally right – I never knew SoCal ever looked gloomy! Learn something new every day, I guess! :)

bakerbynature — May 26, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I just spent the day pleasure reading on the beach – bliss! Hope your weekend is off to a good start!!!

vanillasugarblog — May 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm

oh kicking off summer means having a bad back from all the weed pulling. LOL
    every beginning of summer it happens–i do too much.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 2:53 pm

LOL…that, or pool openings. Will kill your back and body one way or the other!

Julie — May 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm

You need to try the choc chip cookie dough from So Delicious!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 26, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Opening the pool and grilling out symbolize the start of summer. Oh, and our beach vacation as it’s almost always the first vacation of each year.

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 27, 2012 at 8:17 am

I just picked up that Malibu scent too in shower gel, love it! Our weather can get wacky in May and June too, last year we had a week of non-stop rain in June – crazy! Summer kick off for me is lots of cheap watermelon, a flourishing garden, the scent of sun lotion, and lazy days at the lake.

No Memorial Day plans here except for gardening and tackling a few house projects.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 2:52 pm

No way…we have a product in common! I didn’t know you wore BB&BW stuff. I don’t feel so bad loving it now :)

Michele Sparrow — May 27, 2012 at 10:31 am

Summer is laid back time for our family with early dinners, simple foods and lots of outdoor fun. I absolutely love to be out in the hot sun as often as it is out and taking the boys down to the beach on those 100 degree days where they can skim board and I can lay out and drink iced coffee. Those are awesome moments in the summer which provide lasting memories!

I bought ingredients for your artichoke dip to bring to my sister’s house tomorrow. Will let you know how it is received! Have a great weekend, Averie! xo

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 27th, 2012 at 2:51 pm

keep me posted how it goes! And I know you know this but don’t be afraid to doctor it up with garlic, onions, or any spices you like but that I didn’t happen to use :)

Sam @ Fit for My Fork — May 27, 2012 at 11:26 am

Happy Memorial Day! It’s not a long weekend here, but we have the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee next weekend so I’m not *too* jealous – though our weather is amazing right now so I wouldn’t mind an extra day in the sun! Have a lovely weekend!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Summer kick off for me happens when school is out … then I feel like summer is started because I am on holidays for 2 months.