Marshmallows

I was at Target a couple days ago and saw these Pina Colada Marshmallows from Kraft Jet-Puffed

My heart skipped a beat. Marshmallows and pina colada in one? These were tailor-made for me and instantly went into my cart.

Target has some great finds. Sure, I need that new sports bra color, those new seasonal M & Ms that if I don’t buy them now I’ll never be able to get them again, that new body wash scent. Too many great finds for my wallet to handle. You can relate, I’m sure.

I just made Pina Colada Cookies and wish I would have had the pina colada marshmallows to include. Just means I’ll have to make another batch of cookies. Oh darn.

I haven’t even opened the marshmallows yet and am storing them in a sealed Ziplock in my pantry until I figure out what I’m doing with them.

Even in the sealed bag, the strong coconutty, tropical pina scent is ridiculously intense. They are the marshmallow equivalent of Drakkar cologne. Remember that stuff? Strong, potent, intense, you can smell it from a mile away and probably shouldn’t like it but you do. At least when you’re in ninth grade.

I also picked up these little vanilla marshmallow bits. I have a few recipes I’m going to put these into and they’re are also great by the handful in hot chocolate.

I’m a big fan of the sweet white puffballs in just about any form.

I made Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Smores Bars for a friendly little competition.

A friend and fellow San Diegan won, but I still had fun including most every item from my baking pantry into the recipe.

Other marshmallow recipes:

Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars (Vegan & GF options)

White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Marshmallow Stuffed Rice Krispie Bars (No Bake)

Marshmallow Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Pillowtop Bars (GF with Vegan options)

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Vegan Chocolate Frosting (No Bake)

Double Chocolate Caramel Corn & Cocoa Rice Krispies Candy Bars (No-Bake with Vegan & GF options)

Twinkies (3 ingredients, no added oil or butter)

Do you like marshmallows?

Yes, I love them.

Do you have a favorite marshmallow recipe? Brand? Ever made homemade marshmallows?

Links welcome

Thanks for the Sprinklebakes Cookbook Giveaway entries

60 Responses to “Marshmallows”

1. j3nn — May 9, 2012 at 10:26 am (#

Pina colada marshmallows have Averie all over them!! And OMG, yes, Drakkar is amazing. I am not crazy about perfumes, they give me a headache if overused, but I love the way men’s colognes smell, especially Drakkar.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I remember going to jr. high dances and you could smell the scent of Drakkar from…3 towns over…it was poured on so thick by the boys back then. What memories LOL

2. katie @ KatieDid — May 9, 2012 at 10:50 am (#

what a fun find! target is a time and money suck for me. Luckily there are none in the state I live in right now though hah!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I go in with a mission and only go once a month or every 6 to 8 weeks so I do stock up when I go and *try* not to get sidetracked and stick to the list!

3. Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 9, 2012 at 10:54 am (#

Love that you find the craziest, coolest food flavors like that. I’ve never made marshmallows. I used to love to squish them up as a kid (they get super gooey) and then eat them. I guess they became the consistency of the jarred stuff.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I used to love squishing my food as a kid…I smoosh down an entire brownie or choc chip cookie into a little ball. Two decades later, here I am making desserts balls ‘n bites all the time!

4. Chrissy — May 9, 2012 at 11:17 am (#

Well… now I wish I had all of those things to eat for my lunch instead of these Brussels… (which are quite delightful, but sweets just sound better now).

Just the other day I was wondering where they sold those baby marshmallows that are usually in hot chocolate packets. Now I have no excuse to go find some, since I know they are out there. Those PIna Colada mallows are ridiculous, I’m sure. Probably sooooo goood!

Hope you’re well!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

those baby marshmallows that are usually in hot chocolate packets. <– YES these are the ones. Something wonderful about their crunchiness and nostalgic qualities :) Ive been on a massive brussels kick the past month. In between marshmallows :)

5. sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 9, 2012 at 11:20 am (#

marshmallows = little puffy clouds of heaven. i need to try the new pina colada ones for a tropical twist! here an idea Averie…. s’mores w/ white chocolate, pina colada marshmallows, + graham crackers. Holy Yum!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

trust me, I have soooo many ideas…more ideas than time on the treadmill if you know what I mean :)

6. Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 9, 2012 at 11:22 am (#

I haven’t seen these marshmallow, but you can bet I am making a trip to target after work!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

LMK if you end up finding them!

7. Krista — May 9, 2012 at 11:32 am (#

I’m not a HUGE marshmallow fan, but I bet those pina coloada ones could change that!! ;)

8. Christi @ Love From The Oven — May 9, 2012 at 12:07 pm (#

Those are all some delicious looking recipes – both the food and your always amazing photos. :) Love the Mallow Bits!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I know you’ve put those bits to some yummy uses :)

9. Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — May 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm (#

Ummm…I think I need to make a Target run, like right now. Those sound awesome! I love anything coconutty. Like you, I can’t go into Target without buying all kinds of random things (so many pretty colors of sports bras!!) I went in for detergent 2 days ago and came out $100 poorer. Ouch.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Omg we could be shopping buddies b/c that’s exactly what happens to me, every.time.

10. Angela / Canned Time — May 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm (#

Love marshmallows, my cat loves to chase the mini ones round the house and then eat them. I saw “Jumbo” marshmallows in the store last week that were like 2″ X 3″ !! I’ve always wanted to try making them at home. Pina Colada is one of my favorite flavors so I’ve got to try these!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I am lol’ing at the cat story!

Angela / Canned Time Reply:

Yea, we were thinking about getting a bag of the ‘Jumbo’ size for the cat just to see what he’d do with those! :)

11. Cassie — May 9, 2012 at 1:23 pm (#

What will they come up with next?! I love fun flavors like this!

12. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 9, 2012 at 2:04 pm (#

What in the world! I will be on the hunt for these next time I go out shopping…

13. CJ at Food Stories — May 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm (#

I’m not a huge marshmallow fan but I’m glad you were able to find this neat treat. To bad you have to make another batch of goodies :-)

14. Alysha @Shesontherun — May 9, 2012 at 2:48 pm (#

Um, I LOVE marshmallows. I made homemade regular marshmallows and toasted coconut on my blog a few weeks ago: http://shesontherun.com/2012/04/homemade-marshmallows/

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

That is so awesome! They look fabulous…wish I could have helped you taste test :)

15. Katie — May 9, 2012 at 3:44 pm (#

I saw those and thought of you! I love marshmallows. I always feel like such a kid, but if there is a bag of them around, I’ll just snack on them straight up. The mini ones are especially great. Tiny little puffy balls of sugar!!!

I’ve never made my own, because honestly, it just seems like too much of a process when I can just buy a bag for 99 cents. Sure the ingredients aren’t all pronouncable, but I don’t eat them that often, so I’m okay with it.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

If you ever make your own, I need to be the first to know!

16. LiztheChef — May 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm (#

Many thanks for the Cas Cal fermented beverages – they arrived in a cute, insulated lunch box. Love the light, fruity taste!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Yay, so glad you got them and are enjoying, Liz! Thanks for LMK!

17. Paula — May 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm (#

Those marshmallows would be great in bars or cookies– and I know you’ll come up with a marvelous recipe to use them in!!! I remember my mom making marshmallow once– they were gigantic. The mention of Drakkar takes me back to my early college days. One of my favorite professors wore it but didn’t put it on with a heavy hand…so he did smell good!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Well at least he didn’t go overboard. Kind of like Polo, Paco Rabanne, or similar from that era, a little went a long ways :)

18. Meg — May 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm (#

I was in a store today and saw Campfire marshmallows. This was a first for me. They were easily 4x the size of regular ‘mallows. I squealed. Really loud. People looked. I didnt care. I want those damn marshmallows!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

That’s a new one, “campfire” marshmallows…guess that just means they are supersized :)

19. Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm (#

I am not a huge fan of marshmallows, but I do like them in things.

20. Luv What You Do — May 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm (#

My mouth has been watering with all the new marshmellow flavors. I actually snacked on a few tonight when I made the Golden Graham S’mores bars. I tried the gingerbread around the holidays and they wre great in hot chocolate! I haven’t seen pina collata yet, but how fun!

This blogger recipe is a new favorite…who doesnt love S’mores???

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Oh wow, those look delish! You’re making me hungry :)

21. Mike @TheIronYou — May 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm (#

I need to make those Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Smores Bars…like now! Well, maybe not now now but tomorrow for sure: they look amazing!

I hope you make them!

22. Melissa (Better Fit) — May 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm (#

Haha- Cologne that you like when you’re 9 :) I remeber loving the look of my mom’s perfume bottles at that age. They seemed so magical!

I’d have to say toasted over an open fire is my favourite way to enjoy marshmallows!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Mom’s perfume bottles were so captivating at that age…oh, I remember it well. Wanting to go smell them all!

23. Christine (The Raw Project) — May 10, 2012 at 6:14 am (#

What a fun marshmallow post, crazy find at Target! I’ve only had them a few times since going vegan – vegan marshmallows aren’t cheap, but delicious.

24. Steffany — May 10, 2012 at 6:48 am (#

I NEED to find these marshmallows. Must head to Target today !! I love all things coconut/pina colada (;

25. BigFatBaker — May 10, 2012 at 8:25 am (#

I have only ever made marshmallow fluff, but I am trying to find some time to make my own marshmallows! I love them…. especially now that it’s summer (sort of) and s’mores are on the brain. I can only imagine how delicious the pina colada ones are…mmm….
    BTW my dad still wears Drakkar Noir. I think he has been wearing it since the 80’s and probably will forever lol.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Too funny about your dad! Marshmallow making takes some time but NOTHING like what you’ve been doing with the Momofuku book!

26. Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 10, 2012 at 9:16 am (#

I really connected with Ganesh while I was in India. Everywhere I went, I just couldn’t get enough! I would LOVE a shirt like that. You’re right, they do look very, very comfy :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit Reply:

What the heck? weird… went to comment on your Ganesh post and it went on marshmallows? Blaming the user on this one. It’s only 10am and already I’m disoriented. It’s going to be a long, long day. hahaha

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I was wondering when I read that, you commented on the previous post, but figured you were scrolling and just clicked the wrong one…it happens :) Hope your day is a good one!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I can only imagine how many you saw when you were there!

27. Amber K — May 10, 2012 at 10:43 am (#

Marshmallows are alright, but caramel + chocolate + marshmallows is even better.

28. Sarah — May 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm (#

I don’t know how I missed them before, but I just got back from a weekend of camping and those s’more rice krispie treats are just PERFECT for weaning off the real things :) Deelish!

29. Leonor @FoodFaithFitness — May 10, 2012 at 6:33 pm (#

Pina Colada? I am so getting those! I am interested to see what you make with them. I am making it a rule that I can’t look at your blog at night because I immediately want to go make or eat something sweet!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Aww, you can have a midnight snack I think :)

30. Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — May 10, 2012 at 8:07 pm (#

I’ve not seen those yet and it most likely is a really good thing. Otherwise, my closet and shelf organizing project would be ditched to the sidelines as I played in the kitchen with these babies.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I know what you mean about sometimes it’s good NOT to discover something!

31. Deborah — May 11, 2012 at 8:19 am (#

I seriously bought those marshmallow awhile back, and they inspired me to try to make some pina colada marshmallows from scratch. My first attempt was a bust, but I really need to try that again!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I know what you mean about making marshmallows from scratch…and too funny you bought those exact ones! And that they were the inspiration of your homemade marshmallow attempt.

32. Mica — May 11, 2012 at 12:12 pm (#

I know you’re not vegan, but since you seem to eat marshmallows, I’m curious – what are your thoughts on gelatin? I personally don’t eat any gelatin or rennet but a lot of vegetarians do.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I just enjoy them and don’t over-think it.

33. Jamie | My Baking Addiction — May 11, 2012 at 12:25 pm (#

These marshmallows seriously just made my day – I need to find them asap! I’m so glad you shared your find with us.

I bet you’d love em :)