Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches

When I was growing up grilled cheese for dinner was a pretty common occurrence in our house. Now that I’m a mom, I can see why my mom was a fan.

Easy, inexpensive, everyone likes them. No one complains.

Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches - Mini food always tastes better! Perfect party appetizers!

My mom made them with Kraft Singles Cheese and one of the highlights of grilled cheese making was my sister and I opening the plastic wrap on those Singles and peeling the cheese off the plastic.

We tried to open the cheese without dinging or breaking the cheese corners. Sounds easy enough but when you’re a kid and in a hurry, broken corners can be unfortunate casualties.

I will never forget all the cheese my sister and I used to eat in a sport I’d call squares-of-cheese-folding. We’d fold multiple pieces of Singles into squares and see how high we could stack the squares and how much we could fit in our mouths. At one time. The things kids do. And they still do it.

Give kids a package of Singles and it doesn’t take long before cheese folding, stacking, tearing, and even cheese art happens.

You can use cookie cutters and cut out pretty cheese shapes, layering cut out pieces on top of other pieces. Think gingerbread house decorating but with cheese. Don’t ask me how I know this.

I also grew up in Minnesota, just one state away from Wisconsin where cheese eating is a statewide sport. And we won’t talk about the Minnesota State Fair and fried cheese curds and how I love those greasy little nuggets.

What better was to embrace my inner kid than to make mini grilled cheese sandwiches.

And let’s face it, anything that’s mini just tastes better.

I love tomatoes so much and they are wonderful in grilled cheese sandwiches.

Plus, they add a few more nutrients and a pop of color to the otherwise pale, yet highly comforting, little stacks.

Oh and I really love condiments. Ketchup is required as a dip for grilled cheese.

Three cheese ranch dressing, blue cheese, salsa. Name a condiment and I’ll happily take my grilled cheese sandwiches for a bath in it.

I was out of homemade spicy honey mustard but that would have been a great little dipper, too.

Just like old times.

Except mini.

I think these would make perfect party food. Birthday parties for kids or adults, baby or bridal showers, summer parties, barbeques, Memorial Day and Fourth of July parties.

Trays of drinks being passed followed by trays of mini grilled cheese sandwiches would be a big hit I’m thinking.

Then again, I never met a pile of warm cheese and warm buttered white bread that didn’t go down oh-so-good.

Print Print Recipe

Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches

Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches - Mini food always tastes better! Perfect little party appetizers that are easy, fast, and irresistible.

Yield: about 8 mini sandwiches

Prep Time: 2 minutes

Cook Time: about 5 to 6 minites

Total Time: about 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 French baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds

2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds (each tomato will yield about 5-6 slices)

Kraft Singles Cheese, 1 slice per sandwich, cut or folded into sixths

butter, about 1 tablespoon per sandwich

Directions:

Prepare a large non-stick skillet by spraying it with cooking spray. Butter one side of bread and lay it buttered-side-down into the pan. Top with the cheese squares by staggering them slightly when placing them onto the bread rather than stacking all the squares exactly on top of each other (this will create height to the finished sandwich). Top with one tomato slice.  Butter another piece of bread and place it on top of the tomato slice, buttered-side-up. Repeat for as many sandwiches and you wish to make.

When all your sandwiches are in the pan, turn the stove to medium or medium-high heat and cook sandwiches for about 3 minutes on the first side. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on second side, or cook until both sides are browned to desired level. Serve immediately.

Consider serving with ketchup, ketchup + hot sauce, salsa, three cheese ranch salad dressing (shown in photos), mustard, mayo, or any desired dip.

Tip: To encourage cheese melting, use a pan with a lid as the trapped heat and steam will help encourage the cheese to melt. Otherwise you run the risk of the bread browning too fast before the cheese has melted.

Related Recipes

Cheesy Taco Casserole

Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Casserole – add a few handful of shredded cheese to the batter before baking

Mango Basil Personal-Sized Tortilla Pizzas

108 Responses to “Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches”

1. marla — May 21, 2012 at 9:21 pm (#

These are such fun little grilled cheese sandwiches & I love reading your memories too. Think I can recall doing some of the same things!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 21, 2012 at 9:33 pm (#

When I was making these, I was thinking of you! The 50mm lens and the grilled cheese; you were on my mind :)

2. Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm (#

Oh my! This post brought back so many memories for me!!! Haha, I forgot about cheese stacking – I did that too! And I remember getting an immense amount of satisfaction from peeling the plastic wrapper off perfectly. I would eat slices of that cheese for a snack … or while I was looking for a snack … or while at friends’ parties in high school, lol!

3. Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — May 21, 2012 at 9:44 pm (#

I love grilled cheese! *when i could eat it :/ Now my tummy doesn’t like dairy — But I love brie with green apple or brie just straight up on a baguette! those pics are gorgeous! thanks for sharing:)

4. Marina@Picnic at Marina — May 21, 2012 at 9:44 pm (#

Hi Averie, haven’t been here in a week, and it seems like a long time… Your little grilled cheese sandwiches are very-very cute! Lovely writing…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 21, 2012 at 9:52 pm (#

Welcome back! Was wondering where you were :) Glad you like the little sammies :)

5. Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm (#

I love anything mini, and I love grilled cheese with tomato. These mini sandwiches are adorable!

6. Julie — May 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm (#

This is SERIOUSLY awesome. I love the idea of cutting it width-wise.

7. Mike @TheIronYou — May 21, 2012 at 11:18 pm (#

Those minions sandwiches will make for a perfect snack when I have friends over for drinks..instead of the usual (and boring) tortillas + dip and/or cheeses & crackers platter.
    Great idea!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 21, 2012 at 11:34 pm (#

Yes, way better than chips ‘n dip or the usual fare. LMK if you make anything similar!

8. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef — May 22, 2012 at 12:39 am (#

These are SO cute! Perfect for a walk around party out on the deck. Terrific idea.

9. Kathryn — May 22, 2012 at 1:38 am (#

Oh these are so adorable!

10. Blog is the New Black — May 22, 2012 at 2:48 am (#

Adorbs! :)

11. Katie — May 22, 2012 at 3:28 am (#

My afternoon snack in high school was a toasted white bagel (from the bagel shop I worked at) with a slice of kraft melted on each half, eaten open faced. It sounds so boring, but it was so tasty and it was always exactly what I wanted. I’m craving it right now. Again.

I used to be a grilled cheese whore. I don’t think more than three days could pass without me eating one. For years that hapened. And I was picky about them too. White bread only, fake processed cheese only, and absolutely no tomatoes! Maybe some turkey slices if it was a meal, but not if it was a snack!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 8:44 am (#

Growing up in Wisc, I can totally see you getting down with some cheese!

One day we have to go to the MN State fair and eat some fried cheese curds and mini donuts together :)

12. j3nn — May 22, 2012 at 3:52 am (#

Tomato and cheese is probably my favorite sandwich combo of all time and I LOVE sandwiches, so that’s saying a lot. These are adorable! I’d eat a dozen of them. :D And I used to do the foldy square thing with American cheese slices, too. hahaha I also used to make melted cheese sandwiches in the microwave. Those were the days! Oh, we never had the cool orange cheese, either. Always white. Not as fun! :( lol

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 8:43 am (#

There is just something nostalgic about the orange squares :) I’d make microwave nachos using Doritos with it, too. Memories!

13. Sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 22, 2012 at 3:58 am (#

Averie, these are too cute! I laughed reading about your folding squares of Kraft Singles – I did that ALL the time!! I love tomato + grilled cheese… and even my family and boyfriend think I’m gross when I do this, but I am known to dip my grilled cheese sammies into ketchup! Glad you are the same!! Beautiful pics too :)

14. Alyssa (Down_To_Earth) — May 22, 2012 at 4:00 am (#

These little sliders are so sweet!
    I always thought it was crazy to dip grilled cheese in ketchup…until my boyfriend coaxed me to try it one night. I tried it…and loved it :) Now I’ll dip my grilled cheese in almost anything: ketchup, sriracha, BBQ sauce, coconut mango sauce. . .bring on the condiments!

15. Paula — May 22, 2012 at 4:10 am (#

Cute little mini sandwiches with yummy looking buttery-toasty bread!! I remember the grilled cheese -tomato soup pairing when I was a kid. My first 2 yrs of college were spent in LaCrosse, WI so I know what you mean about the love of cheese there ( but those cheese curds are oh so good!). I like a classic grilled cheese but also apple w/ cheddar or pear w/Brie.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 8:41 am (#

Butter….Gotta love it for browning. Cheese curds, yes, so good. Seriously how could you not love fried balls of cheese. Sounds so greasy and decadent (as are mini-donuts) but they’re so good!

16. Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — May 22, 2012 at 4:28 am (#

Ha! In yesterday’s post, I was just talking about how much I love miniature stuff and then these show up in my face this morning – I want them all!!

17. Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 22, 2012 at 4:42 am (#

These are so cute! I love this idea!

18. Rachel Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 4:48 am (#

So cute! I love tomatoes on my grilled cheese too.

19. Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 22, 2012 at 6:14 am (#

Oh how fun. I haven’t made a grilled cheese in ages. Love making them as a kid and would spread ketchup on them

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 8:37 am (#

I like your use of the word “spread”. That would be more accurate than “dipping in” for me :)

20. Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 22, 2012 at 6:14 am (#

You can never go wrong with carbs, gooey cheese and tomatoes together!! I love how golden and crusty the bread looks!

21. Bev @ Bev Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 6:22 am (#

OOOOO.
    MMMMM.
    GGGGG.

Done. Times a billion. Done.

22. jackie @ marin mama cooks — May 22, 2012 at 6:32 am (#

Hi Averie! These are so freaking adorable. What a perfect thing to serve up as an appetizer or with a big bowl of tomato soup. I have some tomato soup in the freezer and it’s supposed to get cooler this week so I might just pull it out and make some of these. The kids love anything mini! I actually just posted these mini couscous cakes and the kids had a blast eating them. Sometimes you have to change up the basics and to make them interesting again!

xoxo,
    Jackie

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 8:36 am (#

mini couscous cakes = that’s much fancier than mini grilled cheese :)

• jackie @ marin mama cooks — May 22, 2012 at 9:54 am (#

They may sound fancier but they are just as easy to make :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 9:59 am (#

and thanks for your emails LMK about the comment replies!

23. Holly W — May 22, 2012 at 6:52 am (#

How cute are these?! Love them.
    Have you heard of Fry Sauce? It’s big in Utah. Equal parts mayo and ketchup (sometimes a bit of BBQ). Great for dipping grilled cheeses in… and fries too!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 8:32 am (#

yes and also adding chipotle seasoning..I used to waitress at a place that served wings when I was in college and wing/fry sauce, so good!

24. Stefania@ Revitalize with Stefania — May 22, 2012 at 7:52 am (#

These are adorable! I love grilled cheese on rainy days with tomato soup.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 8:31 am (#

omg YES, with tomato soup! Can’t believe I didn’t write that, too. Those were the dinners Lent was made of :)

25. Cassie — May 22, 2012 at 8:01 am (#

You can probably imagine how I feel about these with my sandwich kick lately. Absolutely adorable!!

26. Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — May 22, 2012 at 8:08 am (#

My brother isn’t obsessed with grilled cheese….he is obsessed with cheese quesadillas! Basically the same, but with tortillas :P

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 8:31 am (#

cheese quesadillas are always good but weren’t on the menu in rural MN in the 80s :)

27. tia — May 22, 2012 at 8:13 am (#

Yummy :) sounds perfect for my sons first birthday in July.. thanks for sharing!

28. Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 22, 2012 at 8:42 am (#

Great photos, Averie and I love the story that came along with it! We used to make our grilled cheese with Kraft single slices as well. I used to call them “strip cheese” when I was a kid. What a riot!

29. kris — May 22, 2012 at 8:55 am (#

oh how cute!! – i lovee grilled cheese.
    my mom used to make me sandwiches with turkey and kraft singles in a sandwich press that melted everything together and kept the gooey cheese inside. so delicious.

30. Lisa — May 22, 2012 at 9:27 am (#

I am so with you on ketchup being the perfect condiment for grilled cheese sandwiches! I love these, they are so cute! (Cute about a grilled cheese??) Have to make these.

31. CJ at Food Stories — May 22, 2012 at 9:48 am (#

I have to agree with you … anything mini does taste better :-)

32. Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition — May 22, 2012 at 10:16 am (#

I’m obsessed with anything miniature! These are adorable.

I can’t wait ti have kids and throw little parties haha

33. CJ at Food Stories — May 22, 2012 at 10:26 am (#

I can’t believe I almost forgot … You’ve been chosen again, Averie … You have been nominated for my NEW Food Stories Award for Excellence in Storytelling. Check out my site for the details (foodstoriesblog dot com).

34. Erica — May 22, 2012 at 10:30 am (#

Nom :) Grilled cheese rocks! I like using a couple different kinds of cheese, tomato and spinach! Fantastic

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 11:08 am (#

Hi girlie…hope you’re enjoying your break and having extra time to snuggle with K :)

35. Amber K — May 22, 2012 at 11:13 am (#

Oh yeah! I did a ton of cheese stacking/folding in my childhood. The only way to eat American cheese! That was the only kind of cheese I liked as a kid. Now, I’d rather have a nice hunk of Cheddar. Yum!

36. Merry @ Best Desserts Blog — May 22, 2012 at 12:40 pm (#

Averie… I’ve never referred to a sandwich as “adorable”… but there’s a first time for everything, right? I can’t wait to try these! Roma tomatoes are my favorite. I wish I would’ve thought of something similar when my son was little.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm (#

I love “adorable” food and you’re right..usually decorated cupcakes & cookies get the nod for adorable but this time it was savory..first time for everything!

37. Lindsay @ Fuel My Family — May 22, 2012 at 12:55 pm (#

these look like great appetizers! Although I like my grilled cheese jsut classic bread and a couple slices of cheese. But i love it on really good bakery italian parmesean bread. SO good!

38. Meghan — May 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm (#

Cutest little grilled cheese ever! Thank you for stopping by last week! Lovely blog here & I will happily be following from now on! That cheesy taco casserole looks beyond! I’m looking forward to trying it soon!

39. Anna @ The Guiltless Life — May 22, 2012 at 3:40 pm (#

These are so cute! And who doesn’t love a grilled cheese, right? These would be so adorable served at a party – for adults AND kids!

40. Eileen — May 22, 2012 at 4:38 pm (#

I think every single person in the US since the 50s has grown up making those gigantic stacks of folded cheese. So oddly pleasing. :) That honey mustard sounds like the perfect addition to classic grilled cheese!

41. Ellen — May 22, 2012 at 4:46 pm (#

Oh this looks splendid. I do
    Love grilled cheese and though I’m nt so much a dipper with it, the more butter involved, the better:)

42. brighteyedbaker — May 22, 2012 at 5:16 pm (#

I didn’t eat a ton of grilled cheese when I was young but I would get random cravings for it, and I still do! Pretty much anything with melted cheese on it sounds good to me, and I wholeheartedly agree with adding tomatoes! When I was little I didn’t mind the Kraft Cheese, but now I’d prefer a more “sophisticated” cheese, or even a blend of a few cheeses :) And tomato soup on the side, of course.

43. Heather — May 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm (#

Did you really just do a post and recipe for grilled cheese? Wow…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 22, 2012 at 5:44 pm (#

Yes it was a sponsored post for Kraft and I had fun making mini grilled cheese and sharing them with my family.

44. lynn @ the actor's diet — May 22, 2012 at 5:46 pm (#

my fave after school snack growing up was american cheese on a toasted english muffin. i think i have a toaster oven as an adult b/c of this.

45. Katie — May 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm (#

What’s brown and sticky?

46. Stephaie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 22, 2012 at 7:37 pm (#

I love these little sandwiches, Averie! I would love to have had these for an afternoon snack after school!

47. Leonor @FoodFaithFitness — May 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm (#

I was thinking the other day what could I add to grilled cheese to make it a tad but healthier. DUh! I needed that little reminder about tomato. I like the mini idea too.

48. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm (#

How adorable! We love grilled cheese sandwiches in our house, especially my Husband! There the best with a big bowl of tomato soup!!

49. lauren @ the talking kitchen — May 22, 2012 at 8:00 pm (#

these are too cute and even though i’m not too into the cheese singles.. these shoots are mouthwatering!

50. Christine (The Raw Project) — May 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm (#

These look fabulous, cute, and fun – they would be a huge hit with my niece’s. Awesome job!