National Chocolate Chip Day – 15 Recipes

Today is National Chocolate Chip Day

Let me count 15 of the ways I love thee…

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Marshmallow Stuffed Rice Krispie Bars (No Bake)

Coconut & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Toffee & Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (no-bake, GF)

Coconut Peanut Butter Magic Cake Bars

Cookie Butter Funfetti Triple Chip Bars

Double Chocolate Caramel Corn & Cocoa Rice Krispies Candy Bars (No-Bake with Vegan & GF options)

Marshmallow Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Pillowtop Bars (GF with Vegan options)

Samoas Bars (vegan & GF options included)

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies

Deep Dish Chocolate Chip Cookies with PB Cups & PB M&M’s

Flourless Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies (GF with vegan option)

Snickers Bar Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

White Chocolate Peanut, Pretzel, & Chocolate Chip Fudge (no-bake, make in microwave)

Do you have any favorite recipes using chocolate chips?

Link up your chocolate chip recipes.

Do you have a favorite kind of chocolate chips?

I use this chocolate for most of my melted chocolate needs because it melts smoother than chocolate chips. There are no stabilizers in it, so I don’t have to “finesse it” to get it to melt. None of that in and out of the microwave seven times, stirring in between each 20-second burst and hoping it doesn’t scorch monkey business.

For my day-to-day baking that calls for in tact chocolate chips, I use Trader Joe’s semisweet chocolate chips (and stock up on their white baking chips before Christmas since they’re seasonal at my store).

Because I shop for many of my baking supplies based on price, if I didn’t have access to a Trader Joe’s, I would probably use Ralph’s grocery store-brand semi-sweet or Nestle Tollhouse semi-sweet morsels.

I don’t splurge on more expensive chocolate chips like Ghirardelli or Scharffen Berger or fancier chocolate chunks for the “everyday” goodies that I make for my family. I reserve that kind of chocolate for extra-special baking occasions.

Happy Chocolate Chip Day and I hope you have something with chocolate chips in it today!

55 Responses to “National Chocolate Chip Day – 15 Recipes”

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — May 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

What a great holiday!! I love the way you celebrate. ;) My favorite? Well, I happen to love ALL of these recipes.

Marina@Picnic at Marina — May 15, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Happy chocolate chip day! :) Well, as you know, I don’t bake that often (did you see my chocolate covered Napoleon that I made for Mother’s day?). And when I do bake I use Ghirardelli (no TJ around). I don’t even know if they sell anything else here. Sometimes I use German bakers chocolate.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

My favourite chocolate chips are the “President’s Choice” ones from Superstore. They are THE BEST.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 15th, 2012 at 10:12 pm

“President’s Choice” is great…they have great cookies and they also make great spicy mustard, of all things!

Julie — May 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm

And I have no idea! I love the flatter ones – almost disk-like from Ghiradelli!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 15th, 2012 at 10:11 pm

TJ’s had those for awhile, not sure if they still do, but yes, those are fun!

Kristi @lifesprinkles.com — May 15, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Yum!! is all I have to say. Love your recipes!

My favorite recipe using chocolate chips pretty much involves chocolate chips, pb and a spoon…and that’s it! ;)

Vita @ Juicer Depot — May 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I love ghiradelli. The dark chocolate. I dont even buy them to bake with – i buy them to eat as a snack when I am craving chocolate. Never tried Trader Joes but will soon.

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 16, 2012 at 1:18 am

all of these recipes makes my head spin! I don’t splurge on the fancy stuff either – only if it’s on sale. Sometimes the ghirardelli chips are on sale cheaper for the store brand chips! I think my fave of the recipes you listed are the snickers stuffed choc chips cookies – only because I’ve tried them :)

My current favorite SBA recipe using choc chips is my peanut butter cup granola.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 16th, 2012 at 8:17 am

Thanks for reminding me you made the Snickers stuffed. And that granola of yours, yes, looks spectacular!

Kathryn — May 16, 2012 at 1:56 am

Oh goodness, look at all that chocolate chip deliciousness!

lindsay — May 16, 2012 at 3:32 am

you are the master at chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. hehe. When is national butterscotch day anyway?

Stefania — May 16, 2012 at 4:34 am

Looovvvve chocolate in all forms, including chips. Such a great round up of recipes!

j3nn — May 16, 2012 at 5:07 am

I think every day should be chocolate chip day. :)

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — May 16, 2012 at 5:12 am

Chocolate chips make the world a better place. Don’t ya think?

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 16, 2012 at 5:13 am

Well, I’m probably one of the very few people super excited about this “holiday” LOL. I just don’t crave chocolate at all. Now, if I have a really really high-quality piece, I can definitely appreciate it at least. I worked at a German bakery at one point and that was the first time I ever tasted reeeeaallly good chocolate.

leaf (the indolent cook) — May 16, 2012 at 6:13 am

So, I’m guessing you like chocolate chips… :p I’m especially liking those cookies that involve peanut butter in them as well!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 16, 2012 at 6:13 am

What a nice holiday!! :) this is definitely worth celebrating, as always your photos make me hungry, everything looks delicious!! I am so glad that you have a blog and share all these creations!! :)

Cassie — May 16, 2012 at 6:32 am

Goodness, I so have to do a better job at keeping up with food holidays. Chocolate chip day has to be one of the best!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 16th, 2012 at 8:16 am

It was a total fluke that I realized it only about 12 hours before I wrote the post, not like days and days ahead of time or anything :) I was on the food holiday website and saw it and was like THIS holiday deserves a post.

And thanks for linking me back!

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — May 16, 2012 at 7:07 am

Yay! I celebrated National Chocolate Chip Day too! I made a Strawberry Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Cookie!

Paula — May 16, 2012 at 7:20 am

I’m craving chocolate now as and haven’t even finished my coffee or had breakfast! Also, I wouldn’t know about any of the “food holidays” if it weren’t for your blog! I generally buy Kroger brand chips but have splurged on Ghirardelli a couple of times. I’d rather buy really good chocolate to nibble on rather than use it for baking. I had never been in Trader Joe’s but just saw one yesterday (here in SF) so I wandered in and looked around. I soooo wish we had one in my hometown!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 16th, 2012 at 8:14 am

At the very least, if you’re walking past it again, pick up a few small things like their choc chips and their bourbon vanilla and anything else that’s small and catches your eye. Their mango chutney (jarred, small) is so tasty and really anything…you can’t go wrong. But I understand space is limited!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 16, 2012 at 8:26 am

Oh dear lord, Averie! I don’t know where to begin! These all look heavenly.

Tracy — May 16, 2012 at 8:42 am

Favorite chocolate chip recipe: jar of Smuckers all natural peanut butter + bag of chocolate chips + biiiig spoon = ME VERY HAPPY :D

I have never met a chocolate chip I didn’t like. If I am using milk chocolate in a recipe (which is not very often) it has to be Hershey brand for me for 2 reasons 1. of all the milk chocolate I have had, their flavor is superior in my opinion and 2. I live about 20 minutes from Hershey, PA and it just feels wrong to not “buy local” lol. Dark chocolate I usually do buy Ghirardelli, but in a recent lifestyle change I started using the Enjoy Life Vegan Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips/Chunks (which I have to say taste amazing!! I even found my fiancé dipping into the bag, which I then had to kindly explained that due to the fact that they are at least double the price of the other expensive chocolate chips we had on hand that he should really use the Ghirardelli- just as awesome- less expensive).

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 16th, 2012 at 8:56 am

there is a sort of general “underground” consensus that TJs choc chips are vegan, even if they aren’t labeled as such b/c they’re not certified vegan. I kwym about the Enjoy Life being great, but 3x the price of others! Try the TJs if you have one in your area…and really, many semi-sweet choc chips should be vegan as there should be no milk added or involved, just cocoa…but label reading is key!

• Tracy replied: — May 16th, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I love TJ’s but I think the closest one is around 1.5+ hours away ;(. I did write to them BEGGING them to open a store closer LOL.

Kris | iheartwellness.com — May 16, 2012 at 9:02 am

YUM!!!!! Ok, these all look fabulous…I need to have more time so I can freaking bake more! I want all of these items in my house..and in my belly ;)

Ok, whenever I read or hear “Nestle Tollhouse” I think of that Friends episode..did you watch friends?!

LOL

xxoo

Kerry @ Totes My Oats — May 16, 2012 at 9:09 am

I am not picky when it comes to picking out chocolate… as long as it tastes yummy!

Angela / Canned Time — May 16, 2012 at 11:59 am

My favorite from your pics above: Samoas Bars, YUM! I wonder if they’d work with butterscotch chips as well?
    From my stuff I’d have to go with an easy recipe for Coconut Key Lime Fudge, the chocolate chips really help offset the lime. http://cannedtime.blogspot.com/2012/02/coconut-key-lime-fudge.html

• Angela / Canned Time replied: — May 16th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Okay, DUH. I see you listed butterscotch and others as great chips for the Samoas Bars. Got to try them all!

CJ at Food Stories — May 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Wow … that is a lot of chocolate chip recipes … Great Job :-)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — May 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I am always behind with these holidays – I had no idea!! I baked something with chocolate chips today, though. You have such a great round up!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — May 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I honestly don’t think my mouth has watered so much at one post in my life! Chocolate chips = major weakness of mine. Delish! I didn’t even realize it was National Chocolate Chip Day – probably a good thing haha!

Michele Sparrow — May 16, 2012 at 6:08 pm

These are the chocolate chips I buy:

I get the mini chips and the mega chunks. They are GOOD!

As for fav recipes with chocolate chips, well…we have made almost all your chocolate chip cookie/bar recipes but, I gotta say, this one is my boys’ favorite:

I think I have made those about a thousand times!! They make the house smell absolutely divine! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 16th, 2012 at 6:48 pm

That’s interesting that of ALL the recipes of mine that you’ve made, those are the ones you really love. Do you follow the recipe to the T? I haven’t made them in…like 3 years! Lol. I remember them as being good, but not like…omg I am going to make these again and again. Now, ask me about cake bars that I’ve been making lately..now THOSE are repeat recipes :)

Luv What You Do — May 16, 2012 at 6:42 pm

What a great list of recipes!
    I hope that I find time this weekend to make those no bake coconut chocolate chip balls. They look delish!

jojo — May 17, 2012 at 12:46 am

Yumm. This may be my favorite national day!

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — May 17, 2012 at 5:45 am

National Chocolate Chip Day is a day that I definitely need to celebrate! What a happy day!! :)

jackie @ marin mama cooks — May 17, 2012 at 6:10 am

Hi Averie. Sorry I haven’t commented in a while, I have stopped by everyday though and read your posts. This May has been super crazy and I can’t wait for summer!

I made my favorite chocolate chip cookies for National chocolate chip day and sadly we finished off the last cookie last night. I always use Ghirardelli 60% because I can get them so cheap up here. I always find them on sale at Safeway when I run out. It’s like fate! I think I picked up a boatload one time at 2 for $4.00 or buy one get one free. I also get the chocolate baking bars on sale as well. I have a whole shelf lined with these puppies.

BTW, those boots that you picked up for Skyler are just too cute! I remember when Zoe was into pink like that. Not so much anymore as she is 12.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 17th, 2012 at 8:22 am

Absolutely no apologies necessary! And $2 bucks a bag is a great score…that’s cheaper than TJs. Gotta love stocking up at sales like that. I bet it feels like just yesterday your “Baby” was 5. And now she’s 12! I know I’ll be in the same boat soon!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 17, 2012 at 6:24 am

Wow, I didn’t even know there was a national chocolate chip day, too funny! Great recipes here, they make me want to go buy some ASAP!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 17, 2012 at 8:45 am

Love all your chocolate chip goodness! I just made brown butter chocolate chip malt cookies, and they are pretty darn delicious!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — May 18, 2012 at 4:12 am

Never knew it was national chocolate chip day — everything looks so drool-worthy!! Everyday should be a national choc chip day ;)