Spicy Honey Mustard

If you’ve never made your own mustard before, you need to. This entire batch of mustard cost me, maybe 28 cents, give or take a nickle.

But it’s not about the cost-savings or the no-sodium added recipe so you won’t feel like a puffy water balloon.

It’s about being the best honey mustard I’ve ever had. I will never need to, or want to, purchase commercially-made (honey) mustard again.

Just as I enjoy a little cake with my frosting, I like a little food with my mustard. I double dip french fries because I want each bite really well coated with ketchup and mustard, not just the first bite.

I am the person in a restaurant who asks for extra sauce. And extra of the extra.

I love my condiments, dips, spreads, and sauces.

This mustard has a pretty hearty ka-ka-kick. It will definitely clear your sinuses but you won’t quite set off a four alarm fire. I found the flavor mellowed after a few days in the refrigerator.

If you’re not a fan of spicy mustard, you could try reducing the amount of dry mustard seeds to 1 or 1 1/2 tablespoons, but I am not sure how thick the final mustard will be.

This mustard is thicker and heartier than typical yellow mustard that comes in the yellow squeeze jars. You know the ones that have a tendency to squirt something that looks like separated yellow water and yellow paste no matter how much you shake the bottle. That first squirt is always mustard water.

Ketchup bottles do that to me, too. Nothing ruins food quite like squirting ketchup water all over it. Talk about separation anxiety. Pun intended.

You will not have that problem with this mustard.

It’s thick like pudding. Pudding that will put hair on your chest.

[print_this]

Spicy Honey Mustard (Gluten Free with Vegan option)

makes a generous 3/4 cup

2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons mustard seeds (I used 2 1/2)

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup water

salt and pepper, optional and to taste (about 1/8 teaspoon is what I’d start with, just a tiny pinch; I omitted the salt and used a pinch of black pepper)

2 tablespoons+ honey, optional and to taste (or use maple, agave, brown rice syrup, yacon syrup, stevia, or other sweetener to keep vegan)

Combine all ingredients except honey in a small bowl (or Vita-Mix or blender canister), cover with plastic wrap or the blender lid, and allow mustard seeds to soak for at least 12 hours, up to 36 hours. After soaking time has elapsed, transfer the mixture to a blender canister and blend until as smooth as desired, retaining some texture if preferred. I pureed it extremly smoothly, and blended for at least 3-4 minutes. Add honey or other sweetener if desired and blend to incorporate. Add sweetener one tablespoon at a time until desired sweetness level is reached. (This was about 4 tablespoons, or just shy of 1/4 cup honey for me.) If mustard is too thick for your liking, add water a tablespoon at at time until it has thinned out. Transfer mustard to a small container and ideally, refrigerate before serving. Mustard will keep for many weeks in the refrigerator; use common sense.

Variations and suggestions:

You may wish to set half the mustard aside before adding the honey or other sweetener. Sweeten half with honey (or keep it plain/unsweetened), and with the other half, try: curry, paprika, garlic, onions, red pepper flakes, cayenne, chipotle, Mrs. Dash blends, ginger, cinnamon, coconut oil, coconut flakes, ketchup, bacon bits, lemon and dill, ranch dressing seasoning, buttermilk dressing seasoning. The sky is the limit; get creative.

[/print_this]

Gather the ingredients.

There’s not many.

Place the ingredients in a bowl (or into the blender canister to save a step), cover with plastic wrap (or blender lid) and wait a day.

Blend.

Add the honey to taste.

And prepare to reach for some tissues. This stuff will open up your sinuses and it’s addictive. The more I eat it and my mouth is on fire and eyes are watering, the more I want more of it. Crazy but true.

As noted in the recipe section, you could skip the honey and keep the mustard plain.

Or take half the batch and sweeten it with honey and with the other half, add any spices or seasonings as suggested in the recipe, from sweet to savory, mild to intense, plain Jane to off-the-wall. Get as creative as your little mustard-craving heart desires.

Related condiment recipes for some favorite dips, spreads, jellies, and sauces. Some are sweet, some savory:

Brown Sugar Balsamic Reduction Dip (vegan, GF) – I love (balsamic) vinegar and put this on salads, as a veggie dip, and could probably put it over ice cream. Kidding.

Caramel Pumpkin Whip Dip – Insanely good. Bring this to a party and watch it disappear.

Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter (vegan, GF) – Get the earplugs out and blend, blend, blend. And enjoy.

Slaw & Salad Dressing (vegan, GF) – Do not be deceived by the underwhelming photo. It’s an extremely tasty and versatile dressing and dip.

Hot Pepper Jelly (vegan, GF) – Canning, conquered.

Stovetop Hot Pepper Jelly (vegan, GF) – Un-canning, conquered.

Peanut Sauce  (Vegan, GF, Salt-Free) – 2 minutes by hand or 15 seconds in a blender; use as a dip, spread, salad dressing, or as a sauce for peanut sauce baked tofu or raw spring rolls

Spinach & Artichoke Dip (No-Bake, Fat-Free, Vegan, GF) – Everything in one bowl, and 30 seconds later, the dip is ready.

Have you ever made mustard or made any other condiments?

I know Katie makes mustard. We share a love of mustard. And fabric stores, and cookie making, and cookie eating, among other things.

I’ve wanted to make my own ketchup before but haven’t embarked, yet.

I almost never buy salad dressing. I don’t bother when a squirt of orange juice, dash of agave and olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper, a whisk and 15 seconds gives me a perfect vinaigrette. Save money and control the ingredients.

One of the primary reasons I made this mustard is because most commercially-prepared condiments are loaded with salt. The per teaspoon sodium content is astronomical and I don’t do well with added sodium. I kept the mustard salt-free and didn’t miss it, at all.

Are you a fan of condiments, dips, and spreads?

I never met a ramekin of mustard, ketchup, salad dressing, sweet and sour sauce, peanut sauce, hot pepper jelly, or mango chutney that I didn’t love.

Dips, Sauces, Dressings, and Condiment Recipes Here

Don’t put me near the spinach and artichoke dip at a party; I”ll eat the whole thing. And I’ll probably double dip.

Peanut butter or cookie butter spread which is two tablespoons as the serving size? That’s per spoonful cracker, right. I like spreads piled on thick. The only way to go.

101 Responses to “Spicy Honey Mustard”

marla — May 1, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Look at you with the homemade mustard. I need to try this!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 1st, 2012 at 10:12 pm

So simple-stupid easy. And it wasn’t (more) desserts. It was what I needed :) Try it!

Mai — May 1, 2012 at 10:04 pm

i actually have a thing of mustard seeds that need to be used…can’t wait to try this recipe!

Ellen — May 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm

My but I love mustard. I’ve made hollandaise and aoli, so it’s time I made mustard!

Sadekya Foundations — May 1, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I just love the color of that honey. I think honey benefits in more ways than any other food known to man.

j3nn — May 2, 2012 at 1:22 am

I looooove condiments! I almost bought honey mustard today until I saw it included soybean oil. No thanks, I get enough in other naughty foods. I bought a lb of mustard powder a loooooong time ago with the intention of making yellow mustard; I’ll get around to it… One day, lol.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 1:53 am

Well the timing is interesting that you almost bought some honey mustard…today! Now you don’t have to. So.easy.to make it at home.

Kathryn — May 2, 2012 at 1:36 am

Gosh, I never would have thought of making my own mustard. What a great idea!

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 2, 2012 at 2:24 am

My family calls me the condiment queen for a reason – i inhale honey mustard. undipped food makes me squirm… i need my condiments!! And I’m 100% all for double dipping. I’ve never made my own though… i should give it a try, no doubt it is super delicious Averie! Please call me when you make your own ketchup. You’ll be my new hero. :)

angela at canned time — May 2, 2012 at 3:07 am

Love it. I’ll be trying this one soon. I have a big bag of black mustard seed I use for sprouting. Do you think those would work too? Might not look so great :-! Thanks Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’m not sure since I only made it with the kind of seeds shown. I’m not a mustard “expert” by any means :)

• Angela / Canned Time replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Hey Averie,
        I did make this one today with the brown seeds and it was so good. Cleaned out the sinus too! I had tons of Red Wine Vinegar so I used that too. Thanks so much for the idea. My husband wants to come up with a version for a pork rub with it now. Love it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Oh wow, thanks for the feedback!! I need to try brown seeds and see what they taste like all made up and also the red wine vinegar. I was thinking of trying a dash of balsamic. I just didnt want to do anything that was going to make it look black/dark for photos. It all comes back to that! lol

Pork rub mustard? Gosh, I would maybe add a touch of onion powder or garlic powder to it, maybe a few shakes of like a Mrs. Dash Grilling blends, there is one called “chicken” flavor that is a really good blend. And I don’t eat chicken, but the blend is nice, and it’s salt-free and great on anything from roasted veggies to potatoes to fish to homemade salad dressings.

Luv What You Do — May 2, 2012 at 4:46 am

You make making mustard look so easy!
    I want to try that. I am just starting to like mustard, but use it for dressings. I hate all the sodium in the ones I buy at the store!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 8:13 am

Keep me posted if you try it! And yes, no added sodium needed!

Sara Dane — May 2, 2012 at 4:54 am

I love mustard so much my in-laws put it in my Christmas stocking every year! I’m going to try your recipe and if you come up with a ketchup recipe I’d love that. I never use regular ketchup because it is loaded with sugar. You’re amazing, thank you!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 8:14 am

A commenter on this post linked up her ketchup recipe that’s sugar-free. You may want to check her recipe out! Keep me posted if you try mine!

Julie @ Table for Two — May 2, 2012 at 5:02 am

omgosh, i LOVE honey mustard and how awesome that you made it SPICY!! amazing!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 2, 2012 at 5:23 am

Very cool. I’ve never tried to make homemade mustard. Talk about easy. I’ve made my own BBQ sauce, vegan mayo, and of course dressings. I love condiments ;-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 8:12 am

Per our discussions about balsamic, and all the sauces you make and create, I know you’d love this one.

katie @ KatieDid — May 2, 2012 at 5:31 am

I was jusst talking abotu mustard making with a friend and she said apparently it was really hard to get just right- but this looks incredibly simple. mustard is easily my favorite all around condiment- I throw it in every single stir fry and dressing I make. And just like you I never buy bottled dressings anymore, lately all I’ve been using is a flavored olive oil and sometimes a dash of balsamic vinegar. Simple and perfect. I love stone ground mustard, I’m going to have to embark on this recipe soon and try out different variations.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 8:12 am

It’s incredibly simple and the one caveat is that this mustard is Spicy. It is definitely strong and if one prefers a mild mustard, I don’t exactly know how to achieve that AND have it stay thick enough. Other than source mustard seeds which are milder in flavor I suppose? But I know you’re not afraid of a kick so keep me posted if you try this!

marissa @ the boot — May 2, 2012 at 5:37 am

you just blew my mind. because here in italy i can’t find good mustard and i had no idea it was so easy to make! next time i go home i’m stocking up on mustard seeds!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 8:10 am

Hi Marissa, all the way in Italy, thanks for saying hello! And yes, it’s so easy and now you won’t be dependent on buying it. Keep me posted if you try it.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — May 2, 2012 at 6:10 am

love this! You make fabulous condiments

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — May 2, 2012 at 6:10 am

I had no idea how easy it was to make! My mom makes mustard all the time… think I need to start!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 8:09 am

Yes, I thought it was something much harder, too. Turns out, it’s super easy!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 2, 2012 at 6:39 am

I love honey mastard, and when you say spicy is just taking it to the next level!! I have never attempted to make it at home, but this may be a project on my “must try” list!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — May 2, 2012 at 6:41 am

Love making my own condiments! So easy and cheap. I’m such a mustard girl.

I recently made my own ketchup http://www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2012/04/12/homemade-sugar-free-ketchup/

Erica — May 2, 2012 at 6:59 am

I’m a total mustard fanatic and I’ve never made my own! I have to try this.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 2, 2012 at 8:15 am

Holy moly, I had no idea this was so easy! Fabulous recipe and photos, Averie. That mustard would be amazing on just about any sandwich or as a pretzel spread. Oh the possibilities!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 9:28 am

Thanks, Georgia, for the compliments. I was going to go nuts and start dipping everything in sight in the mustard for the pics but ran out of time and kept it more basic but yes, the possibilities!

Cassie — May 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

This is mustard perfection, Averie! I love using mustard seeds. And honey mustard is a favorite in our house!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 9:28 am

Well there ya go, now you can save $$ on the prepared stuff so you can buy more…baking supplies :)

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition — May 2, 2012 at 8:42 am

Mustard is my favorite condiment. I’m a big advocate of eating real foods so I love this recipe. My goal this year is to learn how to cook

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 9:27 am

Well this is an easy recipe and if you like mustard, go for it!

Deirdre — May 2, 2012 at 10:06 am

Sending this directly to my sister- she loves herself some mustard and homemade- all the better!

Katie — May 2, 2012 at 10:12 am

Bout time. ;)

You know I share a love that is really more of a devotion with all things condiment, especially mustard. But really, I love any and all condiments (except the vile mayo). And, I’ve made ketchup!!! Curried ketchup, in fact. I give the recipe in this blog post, where you can just add the spices to regular ketchup, or use tomato paste, which is what I did.

I can’t remember the last time I bought dressing either. I don’t even bother mixing it in a blender first – I squirt or drizzle all the ingredients onto salad and just mix it all up. One dish, one fork, done.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 10:26 am

Thanks for pushing me and getting me off the dime! :)

I have always thought about making my own ketchup but they usually start off with a clove of garlic and a jar of tomato paste (sodium city). Neither are my thing. I know they sell lower sodium tomato pastes but I also don’t want it to be bland. The great thing about the mustard is that it’s so spicy you don’t miss a thing in terms of flavor :)

I don’t mix in a blender, either. Just a squirt of this or that into a bowl..or if I want to save on dishes, just squirt/season right over the salad.

One dish, one fork, done. <—- agreed!

Amber K — May 2, 2012 at 10:17 am

I have made my own hummus, but never my own mustard or ketchup. This looks super easy to make, so maybe even I could not mess it up!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 10:24 am

You cannot mess this up but it’s got a KICK. You’re forewarned!

ATasteOfMadness — May 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

Wow! This seems so simple! I’ve never thought about making mustard at home! What a great idea!

LiztheChef — May 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

Your recipe has it all over mine – cannot wait to try! Here’s mine…http://bit.ly/iFqBgE

Kelli@kellird.com — May 2, 2012 at 11:07 am

Making this immediately!!!! I LOVE a condiment too!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 11:44 am

Ok keep me posted! It’s going to have a kick! You are forewarned :)

Katie — May 2, 2012 at 11:43 am

LOL I’m the same way with sauces–they really MAKE the meal! If I send the boy out for food and he doesn’t come back with the required condiment(s) I get very cranky and un-fun to be around! He has learned!

And I love spicy honey mustard! I will put it on virtually anything!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 11:44 am

If you love a spicy honey mustard, this is for you! And yes, condiments make a meal :)

CJ at Food Stories — May 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

I have never made homemade mustard before (unless you count stirring my favorite SF sweetener into already prepared mustard). These would be great with my sandwich skewers so now I have to make this :-)

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — May 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm

This is such a fun and easy idea. It also opens up so many tweaking avenues. Me likes!

what katie's baking — May 2, 2012 at 2:18 pm

i’ve always wondered how to make honey mustard.
    thanks for posting this awesome recipe

Paula — May 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I tried to make mustard once and it did not work for me, however, that recipe did not involve soaking the seeds. I think the soaking will make all the difference and I now have mustard seeds on my shopping list! Great post–I’m excited to try it…..and I’m almost out of mustard anyway!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Yes soak. I put them in water/vinegar about 2pm one day and was going to blend it all up the next morning. Got sidetracked in the morning, had a super busy day, and didn’t end up blending them up til about 7pm. So they were soaking a good 29 hours, give or take. Keep me posted!

Dominique @ Just Another Phase — May 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Looks sooo good! Being vegan has encouraged me to make a lot of things I usually by from scratch, from my own breads, seitan, and vegan cheeses to dressings, jams, and jellies! Fresh, homemade condiments always taste so much better to me.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 2nd, 2012 at 6:31 pm

And you could always skip the honey and use agave or maple, or stevia; on none of the above and season more savory to keep it vegan.

jojo — May 2, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Embarrassingly I didn’t even know what mustard seeds looked like until now.
    I definitely want to try making my own mustard now, I love mustards in sandwich!

Nicole — May 3, 2012 at 4:11 am

That is a great recipe/idea!
    I’m not much on the sweet so I’d probably try a more savory option.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 7:40 am

It’s not really sweet; per se. The honey just takes the spicy down a few notches :)

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — May 3, 2012 at 4:23 am

Huh, I’m going to admit, I had no clue how mustard was made until now! I’m going to have to try this, I’m a condiment queen just like you!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — May 3, 2012 at 4:56 am

I am a dipper. :) And both of my little guys prefer mustard over ketchup {mama’s boys!!!}. I love that you spiced this up. And for the record I could polish off that bowl of spinish artichoke dip in a sitting or 2 ;) mmm

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 7:39 am

We could have a race. I can put down some spinach & artichoke dip like there’s no tomorrow :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 3, 2012 at 6:25 am

This looks wonderful, I love mustard dressings and need to try this! I’ve made a lot of dressing, many involving Dijon mustard, agave, miso, etc.

Jenny — May 3, 2012 at 11:25 am

Looks great! My heart still skips a beat every time I see your pepper jelly, too:)

Patricia @ thecastironvegan — May 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Brilliant! I’ve never tried making mustard. This looks relatively easy and delicious. I’m going to try it!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 7, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I am a HUGE fan of spicy mustard! I will definitely be making this!!

Mary @ Fit and Fed — July 4, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Yeah, that’s on the kitchen bucket list for me, making my own mustard. The teens have a ‘thing’ that their mustard has to be from the big yellow bottle, they are suspicious of Dijon and other mustards. I have the feeling this honey-mustard may cure them of that.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 4th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

It’s super intense if you make it, just LYK!

• Mary @ Fit and Fed replied: — July 4th, 2012 at 6:06 pm

The men in my house love super-intense spicing, should be fine by them!

shani — November 10, 2012 at 4:54 am

how long would this keep in the fridge?
    great recipe btw! didn;t know it’d be so simple!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 10th, 2012 at 10:14 am

This is what I wrote in the post – “Mustard will keep for many weeks in the refrigerator; use common sense.”

Enjoy!

Rachel Cooks — January 29, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Love the photo of the mustard seeds, Averie! Gorgeous!

Brenda gaston — March 10, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Buy mustard seeds out of the bulk food department at your grocery store. Super cheap, you aren’t paying for packaging and you need only buy what you need. As with all herbs and spices mustard seed will loose flavor over time. May as well start with fresh and get the fullest flavor out of it. Love bulk foods.

Lora — April 2, 2013 at 6:19 am

Well, dang it! Not sure what I did wrong. I followed the instructions and let it sit for 32 hours. The seeds had expanded slightly, but it was still super watery. I thought after blending it would get thicker, but it hardly did. I have super runny mustard :-(

I absolutely love spicy mustard though, so I’m willing to give it another shot. Don’t know if I should reduce the liquid amounts, or just give it another whirl as its listed.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — April 2nd, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Your mustard seeds could have been particularly hard or resistant to the liquid allowing them to soften; they could have been ‘duds’ for lack of a better word. Or, you may need to simply reduce the amt of water. Either way, less water or new seeds, very easy fixes. Keep me posted!

Johanna — June 3, 2013 at 2:28 am

I tried this out and soaked the seeds for over 36 hours and I just got watery vinegary slush :S Does there need to be eggs or oil put in this, to cause it to emulsify?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 3rd, 2013 at 3:40 am

No, I did not add any oil or eggs. Sounds like your mustard seeds did not expand or absorb as much water as mine. You could try again and use new seeds from a different store or source; or use considerably less liquid than you did with your first batch in order to get a thicker result.

Katy — June 8, 2013 at 10:28 am

I have been making my own dressing for years, but have yet to try mustard! I have a bunch of already ground mustard (bought on accident instead of whole seeds :/ ) Do you think I could use these and slightly less liquid? I might try it anyway just to see :)

Thanks for your great blog!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 8th, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Yeah I would just try it. The only thing you’ll be out is like 4 cents worth of vinegar and a few seeds if it doesn’t turn out :)

• Katy replied: — June 8th, 2013 at 5:34 pm

haha good point! Here goes nothing ;)

Krista B. — December 24, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Hello! I just finished a batch of this… Like some of the other commenters’ results, mine turned out a little thin. Still tasty though. I think my seeds were just a little old. Any chance it will thicken up simply by sitting in the fridge overnight? It’s not overly watery… Just thinner than I’d like! :/ Thanks!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — December 24th, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I would say yes it could thicken up OR just make a new batch with less liquid to start with and/or use more seeds. Increase that ratio to the liquid ratio from what you did this time and that should do the trick.