Steamed Brussels’s Sprouts and Broccoli with Cheezy Coconut Sauce

Every once in awhile I eat something other than desserts and sweets.

Shocking but true.

I love chocolate and cookies as much as the next person, or in my case, probably more than the next person, but I have to have green vegetables every day.

Without them I feel weird. off, out of balance, and although I crave brownies, I also crave broccoli and Brussels’s sprouts.

Yes, really. I love cruciferous vegetables of all kinds, but broccoli and┬áBrussels’s are two of my favorites. Never met a brassica I didn’t like and that didn’t stink up my house.

When I feel the need to crunch on some cellulose and don’t have time for anything too fussy, complicated, or time-consuming, I steam veggies in the microwave, and make a quickie cheezy sauce by warming coconut oil and mixing it with nutritional yeast, and adding a few spices based on my mood.

Drizzle sauce all over veggies.

Eat.

Enjoy.

And if I want some sinus clearing to go with my cheezy-coconutty vegetables, super simple homemade Spicy Honey Mustard comes in handy.

So as much as I have a seemingly voracious appetite for pina colada marshmallows and cookie dough, it’s nice to round out the sugar with a little chlorophyll.

But there must have sauce because everything is better with lots of frosting lots of sauce.

[print_this]

Steamed Brussels’s Sprouts and Broccoli with Cheezy Coconut Sauce (Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Refined-Sugar-Free)

1 cup whole Brussels’s sprouts and broccoli florets (or more, or other vegetables you enjoy)

3 tablespoons nutritional yeast

1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted (use olive, hemp, grapeseed or another oil if you don’t like or have coconut oil)

pinch of salt, pepper, stevia; all to taste & optional (also consider a pinch of chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, curry, turmeric, cinnamon, or nutmeg based on taste preferences)

Place vegetables in a microwave-safe dish, fill dish halfway with water, cover with plasticwrap, heat on high power for 1-2 minutes, or until vegetables are as tender as desired. After steaming, place vegetables under cold running water for a few seconds to stop the cooking process. Slice cooked sprouts in half, if desired.

Make the sauce by mixing all remaining ingredients in a small bowl, whisking or stirring to combine, and pour over vegetables.

Note: Steam the vegetables any way you wish; that is how I do it because I am done in under two minutes. I like my vegetables very crunchy and more toward the raw side; steam (or oven-roast) to taste.

[/print_this]

If you’re not familiar with nutritional yeast (nooch), I previously written about it included over a dozen recipes using nutritional yeast.

It’s not the same as brewer’s yeast, it’s vegan, gluten, soy-free and nut-free; it adds a cheesy and nutty quality to food, and it’s packed with protein and B vitamins.

Nutritional yeast is not typically sold in grocery stores or at Trader Joe’s, and although it is sold at Whole Foods, I buy it from iHerb because it’s about 40% cheaper. Use code AVE630 at checkout to save another $5 off your iHerb order. Stock up on stevia, bulk spices, honey, body wash, and supplements while you’re ordering. May as well stock up, right.

One favorite nutritional yeast-based sauce recipe is Spicy Doritos Cheezy Dip (vegan, GF, soyfree)

Cheezy Kale Chips (vegan, GF, soyfree) are made with nooch

If you’d rather skip the nutritional yeast but still enjoy some cruciferous veggies with coconut oil, try Chocolate Coconut Kale Chips

Do you like Brussels’s sprouts, broccoli, or crave vegetables?

I really can’t imagine a day without vegetables. Or dessert. Balance, moderation, a little bit of this, a little bit of that.

Do you like nutritional yeast?

If you’ve made anything with it that you enjoy, feel free to link it up.

If you’ve never had nutritional yeast, I won’t say it tastes just like cheese. Instead, I find it to have a cheesy and nutty quality, which is why many vegans use it as a cheese alternative. It’s also packed with B vitamins and protein.

It may be a bit of an acquired taste but clearly, I’ve acquired it. Daily.

Cheezy chocolate coconut oil popcorn is a staple, too.

The winner of the Sprinklebakes Cookbook Giveaway is Cassie

The winner of the Trop50 Juice coupons is Amber K

Have a great weekend and Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms!

83 Responses to “Steamed Brussels’s Sprouts and Broccoli with Cheezy Coconut Sauce”

j3nn — May 10, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I’m the same way! I can’t get enough Brussels, broccoli — all fruit and veggies, really. I have fresh Brussels and broc in the fridge waiting right now, and I have cheezy sauce on the menu! I go through nooch like it’s candy; 1/2 cup or more at a time. It’s SO GOOD, especially with coconut oil and black pepper and pink salt. I could eat it with a spoon. :)

elise — May 10, 2012 at 11:48 pm

anything and everything is awesome in that sauce!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 11, 2012 at 3:21 am

I’ve got to try that cheesy sauce, sounds so yummy and easy too!

lindsay — May 11, 2012 at 3:29 am

yes!! we crave brussel sprouts in fact! and I crave celery and hummus, I think its the water content haha. Must make these for the hubs.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — May 11, 2012 at 4:48 am

Love how easy this is! Yum!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 11, 2012 at 5:11 am

Yum, love Brussels sprouts and broccoli and nutritional yeast flakes! I think a good mustard sauce always pairs well with Brussels sprouts too. Not sure why, just a good combo.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 11, 2012 at 5:12 am

Love the first picture, very beautiful! And wait… Averie? Veggies? AH! Where are the cookies? Juuuust kidding. I kinda thought you ate more than bars and cookies :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 7:56 am

You’d be surprised. People think that I eat 2 dozen cookies and a pan of bars, in entirety, every single day. You know, because it shows up on my blog I must eat the whole thing from start to finish, all by myself :)

Genki Kitty — May 11, 2012 at 5:14 am

mmmmm I love nutritional yeast! It’s one of my favorite ingredients because it has a high level of Vitamin B12 naturally and sometimes added for extra protection to vegans. I love to make nutritional yeast “melted cheese” style sauce. I use it to make mac n cheese, on top of nachos, over veggies, or just as a yummy dip. Doesn’t getter better! http://genkikitty.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/polenta-and-cheezy-greens-recipe/

katie @ KatieDid — May 11, 2012 at 5:15 am

love the new wood background for the photos, it looks rustic and sophisticated! Brussels and brocc are always on hand for me too but I typically have frozen since I can’t assure I’ll go through them fast enough, just cooking for one. But I’ve never used the microwave before, I typically pan fry. I’ll have to give steaming a try, so easy.

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 11, 2012 at 6:06 am

I love Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli and I also try to eat something green every day, the cheezy coconut sauce is definetely something new and very interesting to me, since I am such a big coconut fan I am sure I would love this sauce!! Have a nice Friday!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 7:53 am

nutritional yeast is super versatile…I just love it!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 11, 2012 at 8:55 am

I used to eat it all the time, but forgot about it recently, I need to hit WF for some!

Michele Sparrow — May 11, 2012 at 6:49 am

This recipe is practically my diet: broccoli, nooch and coconut! :-) LOVE those ingredients! :-)

Erica — May 11, 2012 at 6:57 am

I CRAVE vegetables and fruit like a crazy person! Carrots and brussels are my two veggie loves. This looks super yummy. Happy almost Mama’s day ;)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 11, 2012 at 6:57 am

Love the sauce you created for the brussels sprouts and broccoli, Averie. Looks delicious! Have a wonderful weekend!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — May 11, 2012 at 7:26 am

I enjoy vegetables, but I do not crave them. I wish I craved them every once in awhile. I have never tried nutritional yeast before, sounds interesting though!

sally @ sally's baking addiction — May 11, 2012 at 8:15 am

Leave it to Averie to make even BROCCOLI look droolworthy. :)

I have to hop on the nutritional yeast bandwagon one of these days!

Deborah — May 11, 2012 at 8:26 am

Iamtotally intrigued by that sauce!!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 8:52 am

So easy and if you’ve never tried nooch, I think you’d love it…super versatile!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning — May 11, 2012 at 8:32 am

i LOVE the nooch. I sprinkle it over kale and bake it almost every single night! I can’t believe your recipe is so easy with so few ingredients- I definitely need to make it!
    And whoa- chocolate kale chips?? How did I miss that before??

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 8:52 am

those chips are the best way to get some kale into those who claim “they don’t like kale” :)

CJ at Food Stories — May 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

Love the cheezy coconut sauce idea. Haven’t had nooch in awhile so I’d probably better get some … Yum :-)

Sanjeeta kk — May 11, 2012 at 9:00 am

I was searching for lighting tips on food photography and got hooked to your site for the last one hour! Read in detail all the 101’s and more..what an informative posts. Need to browse the recipe section as well. Glad to find this wonderful space.

Marina@Picnic at Marina — May 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

I have to admit, I love vegetables, and I have a special relationships with all cabbage family, Including the ones that make our house smell (it smells only for a very short time though, and I never had a complain from my guests when I served sauerkraut or kim chi, I guess we acquired the smell as well as taste…:) BTW, I am eating my cabbage-radish-cilantro salad with avocado dressing as I write this: I just got back from the gym and am very-very hungry for my vegetables…:) Nutritional yeast: I keep forgetting to use it, thanks for the reminder. I am not a vegan, so I get my B12 from other sources. But I do love the taste on the nutritional yeast, ok, I am going to sprinkle it on my salad… Have a great Mother’s Day Averie!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

Have a wonderful weekend, too! And all your cabbage family creations sound…wonderful! As well as that dressing!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — May 11, 2012 at 10:40 am

Love that wood surface!!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 10:51 am

I wonder if this would FedEx well….

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — May 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

Always nice to balance the sugary treats with some healthy greens. I love using coconut oil but I’ve never tried it with nutritional yeast. Can’t wait to give it a go!

Amber K — May 11, 2012 at 11:20 am

Whoo hoo! That’s awesome that I won the coupons :)

I love broccoli and brussel sprouts, two of my favorite veggies ever. I have had nutritional yeast before, but not with any veggies. I’ve mostly used it in sauces to top quinoa or pasta with.

Ariel Scheirer — May 11, 2012 at 11:41 am

This past winter I was crazy about roasted brussles sprouts in coconut oil with TJ’s smoked sea salt. Now I’ve moved on to broccoli rabe. . . and I eat kale most days for lunch. I really prefer vegetables with character.

Never used nutritional yeast. . . though my aunt likes to sprinkle it on popcorn. Hmmm.

Cassie — May 11, 2012 at 12:56 pm

This sauce is over-the-top perfect, Averie. And I love brussels sprouts. I’m all over this one!

jojo — May 11, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I definitely crave vegetables when I don’t eat much of it!!
    Broccoli is one of the greens I miss when couple weeks go by without eating it!
    And yes.. lots of sauce is always a good idea :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I miss it if more than a few days go by without the crunchy stalks :)

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — May 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I love veggies! That sauce looks de-lish!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I want the sauce that’s on your blog right now! Whoa, come to mama!

Heidi @foodiecrush — May 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I love broccoli, have become a fan of kale, but good luck on getting me into brussels sprouts. I’ve given it several gos and I like cabbage but those little nuggets just aren’t my cup of tea! And they look so good! UGGH. Happy Mom’s Day to you too!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Shocked you don’t like Brussels’s but you like broccoli and kale; it’s all so similar…but hey, that’s just more for me if you don’t like the little cabbage nuggets :)

Katie — May 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

This is me right here. My favorite snack is just steamed broccoli or cauliflower with nooch and mustard. Sometime ketchup too, if I’m needing something a little sweeter. I can’t do raw brassicas though. T hey eat my insides all up.

I’d put nooch on everything if I could. I kind of do already. It’s great in eggs, on steamed veggies, on salad, for thickening soup, love it. All of it.

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — May 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

That sauce looks delish! Here’s to hoping that someday my cravings will be for broccoli and brussels sprouts… :)

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — May 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I’ve seen a lot of bloggers using nutritional yeast but I’ve never tried it. I want to, but it sort of creeps me out! I should probably just pull the trigger and give it a shot…

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 11, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I think you’d love it…super versatile for sauces and dips!

Yeni — June 3, 2012 at 1:06 am

I just had to let you know that the balsamic brsesul sprouts were amazing. I improvised a little added a touch of bacon grease to the olive oil and sprinkled some fresh-grated parmesan just before serving.My kids, generally, refuse to eat any kind of cabbage, but they actually ate the sprouts and got seconds!!

Paula — May 11, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I have Brussels sprouts, coconut oil and nooch–and since tomorrow is my last day to cook before we head to San Francisco, I know what I am making!

LiztheChef — May 11, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Happy Mom’s Day to you, Averie – please take the day off and enjoy your daughter and family. X0 Liz

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Wow, what a simple and wonderful recipe – love it! I adore broccoli and brussels sprouts, but usually have to steam them or marinade for 24 hours before eating raw.

Nicole — May 12, 2012 at 5:58 am

Happy Mother’s Day weekend!
    I love roasted veggies and have been adding brussel sprouts to the mix. I bought a lot of spices at Penzey’s recently and am trying out the variety with the veggies.

Katie — May 12, 2012 at 8:12 am

Oh my gosh, broccoli and brussel sprouts are my absolute faves! No lie, I eat them roasted at least twice a day– I feel like my day’s just not complete without them! I need them enough that I would call them staples in my diet! ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 12, 2012 at 11:30 am

I agree that everything is better with sauce :-) I crave veggies like crazy … especially Brussels sprouts and broccoli. And yep, I like nooch!

Holly — May 12, 2012 at 11:40 am

You’ve convinced me to give nutritional yeast a try.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — May 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Happy Mothers day my friend!

Mom. Me. Three. — May 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I usually just make maple brussel sprouts (which my kids LOVE) but I’ll have to try this! Anything “cheesey” or with sauce is a win in my book!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

If you’re already a brussles fan, things can only get better with cheeze or cheese involve, right!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — May 14, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Oh, I how I love brussel’s sprouts – I am definitely going to check out nutritional yeast – it’s sounds quite interesting.

Averie @ Averie Cooks — May 14, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Oh I think you’ll love it. Super versatile in so many sauces and recipes and uses!

fartygirl — May 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Never thought to mix coconut oil and nooch together!!! Great idea. Def gonna try! <3

Hannah — May 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Love the simplicity of your sauce! I’ve been eating broccoli and brussels with nooch, hemp seeds, and miso. Will try yours soon!

Mary @ Fit and Fed — July 4, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Love your very simple “cheese” sauce. We always have nutri-yeast on hand, use it with tamari to season popcorn.