Thursday Things

Here are this week’s Thursday Things:

1. Fishs Eddy. Don’t click on that link unless you want to be tempted to buy copious amounts of adorable stuff for your kitchen that you probably don’t really need.

But it’s all super cute and very reasonable. Sort of like the Ikea or H & M of kitchenware so it’s virtually guilt-free. How’s that for rationalization.

2. Nut bowls are totally practical, right? They’re an ounce each, perfect for this ‘n that’s.

I mixed ‘n matched some colors for my this’es and that’s. At only $2.95 each, it’s cheap thrills.

3. Moucharabieh Coasters from Harabu House.

“TFrom Lebanese designer Peggy Raphael Dabar for Images d’Orient, these heat resistant coasters keep your counter or table surfaces safe while adding an intriguing accent. The moucharabieh is a screen generally built out of small wooden elements turned and assembled according to a complex geometrical scheme. It allowed the viewer to observe without being seen, thus its nickname, Jealousy Windows. This meticulous technique was used on windows, balconies, ceilings and vaults as well as furniture. These coasters are waterproof, heat resistant and dishwasher safe. It is also handmade with small variations, characteristic to its uniqueness..”

4. I went to Discount Fabrics and like kitchenware and housewares stores, I had to exercise massive restraint not to buy a yard or two of this ‘n that.

5. This was my stash. Florescent lighting and iPhone photography are not a match made in true-color-translation-heaven, but so far the items from my stash I’ve used, have been photographing nicely.

6. I came across this New York Times article about a 12 year old who wrote a book, with a little help from his mom, called Portion Size Me: A Kid-Driven Plan for a Healthier Family. I think many adults could use a little kid-friendly advice on portion sizes.

It’s interesting because I get asked very frequently how I make and bake all the desserts that I do, yet not weigh 900 pounds. My answer is always the same: moderation and portion control. I don’t eat two dozen cookies, a 9-by-13 inch pan of Nutella brownies, and Cinnamon Bun Pie in their entirety, all on the same day.

I have a bite, a taste, a piece or two, and then I move on. After that initial few bites of anything, my craving is satisfied and eating three more cookies isn’t going to taste any better than the first one, and in fact, things go from the this is great to the what was I thinking state pretty quickly.

The authors, Marshall and Alexandra Reid, are going to be on the Today Show on Monday, May 14 at possibly 8am and definitely at 10am, on ABC’s Revolution on Tuesday, May 15 and on CNN on May 15.

7. Have you seen Don’t Be Tardy for the Wedding? I happen to think Kim is quite hilarious and I laugh out loud at some of the things she says.

Nut bowls, fabric remnants, and some trashy reality tv.

I keep it classy like that.

8. When I’ve got my DVR cued up with Kim or the Bravo Housewives, a bowl of White Chocolate Vanilla Peanut Butter Puppy Chow (GF) makes life a little better. I love popcorn like Kim loves her wigs.

9. The charity bake sale I participated in last weekend raised $2469.43 at the sale itself (including the donations brought in cash by bakers from their friends/families/coworkers) and $495 in web-based donations/payments.

Our grand total was $2964.43

That total is just for the San Diego chapter alone and there were 40+ chapters across the country hosting sales. I suspect lots of money was raised and every little bit counts especially when the money goes to hungry kids.

Thank you to everyone who came out to the sale and showed your support; either in San Diego or in any of the bake sales in your areas.

10. Thanks for the Kitchen Knives Giveaway entries

What are your Thursday Things? Have you made anything delicious or done something fun? (links welcome)

How are you at portion control?

Could you spend hours and hours in a fabric store, thrift shopping for antique dishes, furniture shopping, or housewares shopping?

Strolling the aisles of Bed Bath & Beyond or the housewares section of TJ Maxx is one of my favorite pastimes. It’s a good thing I have almost no storage space which reduces the temptation to load up a little bit.

Have a great (almost) weekend!

51 Responses to “Thursday Things”

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — May 3, 2012 at 7:48 am

I went to Fish’s Eddy with one of my NYC friends and actually made a wedding registry there – the nutbowls were the only thing I got, but they’re SO cute. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:32 am

Mine still haven’t arrived yet via UPS. So excited for my little bowls. Why didn’t I know about this stuff 11 years ago when I got married…

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — May 3, 2012 at 7:49 am

Those nut bowls are so cute! I love tiny bowls and plates…even though they’re pretty impractical :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:31 am

Unless you spend hours on end photographing little bowls of nut butter or candied nuts or dips or sauces…which I am guilty of. So I justify :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 3, 2012 at 7:51 am

LOL – thanks for the link warning ;-) I love going into fabric stores, or looking through scrapbooking papers too. I get bored with furniture shopping, but love antique stores

katie @ KatieDid — May 3, 2012 at 8:01 am

I love thrifting, fabric shopping, and finding vintage pieces as much as you do. Those look like some great back drops for photos. I’ve been into using delicate lacy napkins for photos lately.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:31 am

I’ve been on the hunt for some frilly antique-ish napkins that aren’t all stained or don’t look too “cookie cutter” plain Jane. So far, not finding “the perfect” ones.

vanillasugarblog — May 3, 2012 at 8:08 am

I love those nut bowls!
    so cute!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 3, 2012 at 8:16 am

OMG I clicked on the link, and I can’t find my way back, so many cute things, my credit is going to die today!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — May 3, 2012 at 8:59 am

Super post Averie, I am still giggling at the warning “Don’t click.. unless…” Yea, right, like I can restrain myself or be objective on what i NEED. My power will when shopping at the TJ Max, fabric store or Williams Sonoma is the same as in a cat that is left alone near the bawl with a milk. I’ve learned to walk through those stores, look, touch pretty things and say “no-no-no-no-no-…” and not to buy it. Trust me, if I walked by a cute bag as you’ve seen on my blog, I would get the third or forth job to have it!
    That is some really nice fabric you’ve got, all my colors too! The bottom one, mash type is so cool! Love it.
    Portion control? Well, have to! My husband is actually very good at it, much better than I am. I can’t do what he does, so I run..:) And do water aerobic, and yoga…:)
    Have a lovely Thursday Averie, and thanks for your visit!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:30 am

Thanks for the great comment, as always. And that bag on your blog was super cute. I have better restraint on a second or third cookie than I do on a second or third handbag :)

• Marina@Picnic at Marina replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 11:53 am

Bags and shoes does not make anyone bigger…, only happier! :)

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed — May 3, 2012 at 9:33 am

The Fish’s Eddy outlet store is right by where I work on Staten Island.

Melissa (Better Fit) — May 3, 2012 at 9:39 am

My current Thursday thing is feeling guilty for deleting possibly my best video ever!: http://betterfitpersonaltraining.com/2012/05/03/workout-wednesday-crosstrainer-good-or-bad/

That portion control book sounds fantastic! What an inspiration and so great that his mom gave him great support. Amen to your approach to portion control- so much better to enjoy a healthy amount of the naughty things in life than to pretend that you can go without them forever- or to totally overdo it and end up with health problems!

I’m loving the multi-colour kitchen items!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:28 am

Yes life is about moderation and keeping it all in balance. Gotta have a few treats every now and then :) People who swear off all sugar or all desserts or all name-their-vice often end up rebounding I’ve noticed and end up worse off than where they were!

lindsay — May 3, 2012 at 10:07 am

you are the best little shopper. I would like one of each please, and the coasters!

Amber K — May 3, 2012 at 10:28 am

I’m not great with portion control. My problem is that I think every single bite is just as good as the last. I know I’m supposed to be okay with a couple of bites, but I’m a total volume eater. If a little is good, a lot is a whole lot better!

shelly (cookies and cups) — May 3, 2012 at 10:36 am

You really need to make a trip to NYC just for FIshs Eddy. It’s my happy place!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:40 am

I would need to buy extra suitcases just to get it all home! :)

lee — May 3, 2012 at 10:46 am

Ah, portion control. I have usually been horrible at portion control – especially because of that little voice in my head that says, “if you leave it on the plate, it gets thrown away.”

But I read something in one of Bethenny Frankel’s books that was “just the thing” for getting the value of portion control through my head. She calls it the point of diminishing returns – in other words, at what point am I no longer enjoying the deliciousness of what I’m eating, and just eating? Not only has that made me more attentive to what I’m eating, but it’s also reminded me to take/order less food to begin with…I can always get more, but starting with less means I don’t let food go to waste.

Isn’t it strange how you can hear and hear and hear something, and then finally, years later, one specific mention of it makes sense?? =)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 11:02 pm

the point of diminishing returns = that is what I was trying to say in the post and didn’t have the words for it, but those are the perfect words for it. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th ++ portions are not any better and in fact, are worse.

I can always get more = I mention that every year around Thanksgiving on my blog. The over-eating is rampant and I always remind folks, there will be more. And this is not the last time you will ever have access to stuffing and sweet potatoes. You don’t need to eat 25 things on the buffet table at one meal. There will be another meal. In about 4 hours for most of us in the USA :)

Bria @ West of Pesia — May 3, 2012 at 10:56 am

Ahhh, I love Fishs Eddy. I have been known to spend a lot of time in their NYC store ;-)

My Thursday thing is my Vermont Yoga retreat that I’m hosting this weekend. Exciting! Have a great weekend.

Rachel Cooks — May 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Ahhhh! This post makes me want to go SHOPPING! :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — May 3, 2012 at 12:42 pm

mmmm fabric stores. I go once a month and give myself a small budget of $20. Then I have to get all creative in finding the great deals and bribing the sales people to give me 0.25meters instead of the recommended 1meter. I LOVE those nut bowls!

Ariel Scheirer — May 3, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Portion control — I used to struggle with that until I had my baby. Suddenly, and inexplicably, I ate when I was hungry. . . and then, was done! I think what happened was a light went on in my mind and heart that gave me something that was SO MUCH BETTER than food. . . that (even though I still love to eat!) I just didn’t need to use food for my pleasure source., and I focus on something else. I think what happened was I suddenly found something that was so much better than the 2nd or 3rd cookie (it beat out the “diminished return”, if you want the economic viewpoint).

Today has been about purchasing mother’s day cards for all the Mom’s in our lives. Purchasing cards is probably one of my favorite activities.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 11:00 pm

“diminished return” — yes, totally agree with that! And what an interesting point of view re having a child and no longer need food for pleasure; your had something much better :)

CJ at Food Stories — May 3, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Love your Thursday things, especially the nut bowls.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — May 3, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Ooo, another fun place to shop for props! Always dangerous. :-)

Ellen — May 3, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Life wise, my Thursday thing is A midsummer Nights dream-I am acting in it this summer so it’s time to start working in lines!
    Food-wise, how’s about a Fannie Farmer soufflee?

Patricia @ thecastironvegan — May 3, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Those coasters are simply beautiful! I love them.
    Ah, portion control…..I need to work on that! I’m lucky to have a fairly fast metabolism and a 1 1/2 year old who still nurses :) so I can get away with eating a lot, but I probably do need to be more mindful of how much I eat, at least of certain foods.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I never had such a voracious appetite as I did when I was nursing. I say go with it and milk it as long as you can. Pun intended.

Angela — May 3, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I need everything on Fishs Eddy website now! so much cuteness!

Paula — May 3, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Those coasters really caught my eye and the little nut bowls are so cute! Congratulations on a successful bake sale–sounds like a satisfying event to participate in! I love looking at housewares and generally need to exercise restraint in buying them because otherwise my cabinets would be overflowing. My real weakness is buying stones and tools for my jewelry/silversmithing hobby. I can’t walk away from a pretty stone, even if I don’t immediately know how I’ll use it.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Oh I bet your jewelry-making hobby can really eat up the funds$$ if you’re not careful. But hey, it’s good to live a little. Or, a lot :)

Luv What You Do — May 3, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I love the Fish Eddy website. It is seriously addicting…just like your white chocolate puppy chow!

The last delish thing that I made were these Mint Chocolate Thin Mint Truffles.

They are easy, rich and chocolately, and sadly ALL GONE!
    Congrats on your successful bake sale. That is truly inspirational!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thanks, Jennifer. And your little truffles look crazy fabulous!

Ilana — May 3, 2012 at 7:59 pm

so…a few weeks ago my dad took me out to the farmer’s market in union square, which is a block away from Fish’s Eddy. I am nothing if not my father’s daughter and we literally had to talk ourselves into leaving the store. It doesn’t help that it’s smack in the middle of my walk from my yoga studio to One Lucky Duck (which is another wallet draining addiction I won’t get into here, much easier to deal with my hoarding). Let me just say that if I ever make a million bucks I’ll take my dad there and tell him to go crazy.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:49 pm

The fact that you walk past O.L.D. and Fish’s Eddy and you still have any money left is pretty amazing. Funny how many people in this post have told me that yes, in person, it’s every bit as fabulous as it looks online. One day…

Michele Sparrow — May 3, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I have never even heard of Fishs Eddy! Looks like a cool place to shop! I love Home Goods and completely furnished my entire wellness center from there for super cheap, but it is gorgeous stuff! A lot of my home decor is from Cost Plus and Home Goods combined. I love looking, but don’t have an eye for decorating so my sister always comes along and picks everything out and I just buy it! :-)

I have always been a huge eater. My portions are very large, but I eat mostly raw food so it’s all good. I only weigh like 103 pounds and eat more than most people do!

As for fabric stores, I don’t really go. It’s hard for me to sew on buttons! LOL! :-)

Happy Thursday, Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 3rd, 2012 at 10:48 pm

You are so petite, but somehow I think I knew that already from pics. And big portions of broccoli are different than big portions of nutella brownies :)

And fabric stores and sewing buttons, well, it’s the photography backdrop aspect I love. I don’t sew either, but my mom does like crazy. Maybe one day…

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Great list, lots of tempting goodies, especially the nut bowls and coasters. Not too many this for me lately except surfing funny pics on Reddit and working on a budget to save more money.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I looooooove Fishes Eddy! I bought a few things there when I was in NY, and have a few more on my wish list. I could go crazy in that store.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 7th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

So jealz. I would have needed a second suitcase for all the loot!

Kait — May 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm

OMG I could hug you for sharing that site!!!!! I’m moving in a couple of weeks and need to stock an apt…and lets be real, my $50 Bed, bath, & beyond gift card won’t last too long when I need everything from dish towels to coasters to pots and pans! *dances*