Thursday Things

Here are this week’s Thursday Things:

1. I need a free-standing storage unit for my living/family room area for dishes, books, knick-knacks, and just stuff. Between a stand mixer, a Vita-Mix, and enough random little plates to start my own thrift shop some days, my kitchen storage area is maxed out.

I am storing my books and cookbooks in boxes and in random parts of my house and they’re not all in one place because I don’t have proper shelving and storage. Need to fix this.

2. This unit from West Elm would be lovely. Part open, part glass doors, part solid doors. A nice balance.

I actually got a great modular storage unit from Ikea for Skylar’s room (the Trofast line) a few years ago. The storage system is worth its weight in gold.

I need to poke around the Ikea site and do some research but it’s one of those don’t even want to start researching it because I’ll drive myself crazy with options type projects. It would be easier to just get the West Elm but then I wouldn’t get to drive myself crazy researching the options. See how I am?

3. Last week when I went to the mall and someone got lucky with a pair of boots, well mama got lucky when she saw this: a sale at Anthropologie.

Unfortunately, a sale doesn’t necessarily mean affordable. Tiny bowls are still $20 bucks and plates are still $10 dollars each and up, but anything beats full price.

4. I picked up a few little plates. Half were on sale, half weren’t.

The things I really want never tend to be the things on sale. Funny how that works.

5. If I get more storage in my house then I can buy more at Anthro, right? Can I borrow your credit card while I’m at it?

6. Bloody Mary Tomatoes sound fabulous. I love bloody Mary’s.

Hate the sodium, but love the taste. The spicier the better.

7. Popsicle maker. Yes, you could just freeze your popsicle “batter”; you don’t need a “maker”. But I’m all about quirky, fun gadgets. Unless they’re $50 bucks.

This one makes popsicles in 10 minutes after you first freeze the base (for a few hours).

8. I picked up these for $4.99 and they’ve been working like a charm. Who needs quirky $50 gadgets anyway.

Recipes are coming for some popsicles and frozen treats (hopefully before summer is over).

9. Mango Banana Vanilla Softserve (vegan, GF) is more fun to eat push-up style than in a bowl.

And eating it from a mold beats eating it straight from the Vita-Mix canister.

10. Adorable old-fashioned style straws from Sweet Lulu.

Way too many adorable baking supplies, party supplies, and party favors under one roof.

Cupcake Liner Pick-a-Mix. I want these which would mean I’d have to make more cupcakes. Oh darn.

3 Musketeers Marshmallow Candy-Stuffed White Chocolate Cupcakes with Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream would look much better in cute liners.

What are your Thursday Things?

Feel free to link up anything you’ve made, done, seen, tried, or bought that’s fabulous.

If you have any fun kitchenware sites you love, link those up because I always need cute cupcake liners.

Do you have any storage systems that you love?

Link it up because I’d love to hear about it.

I would like to keep it as classy as possible considering it’s going to be in my living room. In general, big huge plastic storage bins and carts on wheels don’t scream stylish and chic, but at least they’re functional. Ideally I’d like something that doesn’t break the bank, looks great, and is functional.

Have a great (almost) long weekend!

65 Responses to “Thursday Things”

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 24, 2012 at 2:56 am

Those bloody mary tomatoes look incredible!! I love bloody marys too. And all that incredible Anthro stuff… ugh I’m green with envy of anyone who can afford to shop there regularly! Happy Thursday!!

My Thursday things are getting a mani/pedi for the wedding I’m in this weekend AND enjoying nutella granola for breakfast! http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2012/05/06/dark-chocolate-cherry-nutella-granola/

j3nn — May 24, 2012 at 3:02 am

So many things I love in this post! I was just window shopping on West Elm.com last night. It took a LOT of discipline not to add anything to the shopping cart!!

I have colored striped straws! I haven’t had a chance to use them yet.

If you get a shelf/organizer, get one with doors. Keeps dust out much easier! If you have a spare bedroom it might have to become your storage and studio. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:55 am

Sadly no spare bedrooms. Every square inch is accounted for in this urban pad. Online West Elm window shopping and not putting anything into your cart takes major discipline :)

Paula — May 24, 2012 at 4:20 am

I recently made lentil-mushroom burgers ( vegan) and these were a huge hit w/ my hubby (who is as carnivorous as they come). Recipe is from June issue of Outside magazine (outsideonline.com). They were a little more labor intensive than I usually like, but I did part of the recipe right after lunch and put it in the fridge, then added everything else before dinner and formed the patties for cooking. I also cut the recipe in half and still had 6 huge patties…and they were delish!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:53 am

I’ve never even heard of that magazine! Thanks for the tip!

Stefania from Revitalize with Stefania — May 24, 2012 at 4:26 am

That unit is gorgeous. Storage is tough for me, I never have enough space.

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — May 24, 2012 at 4:31 am

Oh yes, I need to borrow someone’s credit card for an Anthro shopping spree, too! I could spend my life’s savings in there, easily! Have a great long weekend, Averie :)

Rachel Cooks — May 24, 2012 at 4:34 am

Fun post….I suddenly want to go shopping…

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — May 24, 2012 at 4:42 am

very fun post! I am with rachel and want to go shopping! Have a super holiday

Katie — May 24, 2012 at 5:17 am

I bought a house that’s pretty fabulous.

I need to get some storage units like that also. There areounly about 4 closets in my entire house, and that is not enough room for all my stuff! There is an attic, but that doesn’t do much for storage of things i actually use. My bedroom doesn’t even have a closet! But there is a tiny bedroom across the hall that is basically a walk-in closet.

I saw those push-pop molds and I so want them! I have never gotten into the banana soft serve because I don’t want to eat it out of a bowl like that. I think I’d be down with the molds though. MIght have to have my mom pick some up and bring them to me. Thanks for the link!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:52 am

I think you’d love the molds and the price is right. You have to hold them inside a big cup when pouring the liquid into them and freeze them that way (there’s no fancy base unit – but that just takes up storage anyway), but for the price, they’re just fine!

katie @ KatieDid — May 24, 2012 at 5:21 am

Love anthro, although there isn’t one even close to me which is a stroke of luck. I just moved back home and there were some built in shelves in the kitchen not being used for anything so I stocked alllll of my linens, bowls, kitchen gadgets, and cookbooks there. It was a perfect fit for me.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:51 am

I need something like that, big time. You seem to have the best luck with things just falling from the sky into your lap lately :)

• katie @ KatieDid replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:59 am

it’s funny you say that because beyond what I’ve been blogging about, several other things have been completely random strokes of luck and serendipity this past week!

Angela / Canned Time — May 24, 2012 at 5:37 am

Averie,
    Love those plates you picked up, especially the blue one, gorgeous! I’m in the exact same boat with my dish storage. I’ve been hitting the Antique stores and literally haven’t purchased good buys because I don’t want them on the dining room table piling up.
    I can’t wait to see your pop sicles. I tried making those incredible Spring Flower Popsicles in Family Fresh Cooking http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/2012/04/23/spring-flower-bouquet-popsicles-recipe/ but mine were so plain in comparison…I just ate them without photographing. :(
    Lots of sales this weekend. Hope you can find some storage that matches how classy your room is now, good luck! Sometimes the fun is all in the looking for me.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:50 am

Glad you tried a new recipe (Marla is a dear friend of mine!) and yes, sometimes the fun is in the looking, you’re right!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 24, 2012 at 5:48 am

Love your Thursday Things – so many fun, cute interesting things. Love those plates.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — May 24, 2012 at 6:19 am

I just got into the pospicle craze recently! Didn’t buy anything fancy, just some $2 molds at Walgreens :P They get the job done!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:49 am

Sometimes the 2 dollar items get the job done and I love it when that happens!

Christine (The Raw Project) — May 24, 2012 at 6:23 am

Great list of things, I adore Ikea for cheap storage and have a few of the EXPEDIT shelves in our office, gym, and set up as a stylish TV stand in the master bedroom for a fraction of the cost of a “real” TV stand. :-P Good thing hubby does not mind putting them together!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:48 am

Ikea furniture assembly is one thing you have to take into consideration, for sure, when buying from them!

lee — May 24, 2012 at 7:00 am

I can totally relate to your comment about the things you want not being the ones on sale. I have a long-standing joke with my friends and fiance that, if you show me five similar items without prices on them, I have a knack for deciding that the most expensive one is the one I like the best. I chalk it up to having a good internal quality-meter…recognizing, of course, that quality and high price don’t always go hand in hand…but it’s not exactly a talent I like having, either. It makes it more difficult to indulge my tastes when they’re expensive ones. =)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:47 am

“I have a knack for deciding that the most expensive one is the one I like the best.” = I have had that knack since childhood, too. Ask my mother! lol

Catalina @ Cake with Love — May 24, 2012 at 7:18 am

The mango and banana vanilla soft serve sounds so good, and refreshing and healthy!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 24, 2012 at 7:28 am

Oh, Averie! You just opened up a whole can of worms for me with those Anthropologie pictures! I haven’t been there in so long and I totally forgot about their amazing kitchen stuff! MUST. GO. NOW.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 7:46 am

Have fun! Hope you find lots of cute stuff (won’t be hard to do!)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — May 24, 2012 at 8:27 am

Anthro is my absolute FAVORITE store — i would buy the whole store if i could! *sigh* … and those straws are adorable! if i had fun straws like that I would definitely drink more water — which i really need to do! thanks for sharing! good luck with the storage unit hunt!

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — May 24, 2012 at 8:48 am

I hit the sale section at Anthro only AFTER I had bought pretty much everything for my apartment so I wouldn’t be too tempted. I did end up buying two bowls and a mug, though. Oh well. I did score with a couple of gorgeous small raku “garden pots” for only $3 each- I use them as toothbrush and makeup brush holders and they’re so pretty!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 24, 2012 at 8:55 am

Love that unit from West Elm! I agree – more storage equals more pretty things from Anthro!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’ve re-done most of my house (the bigger pieces of furniture and rooms) in West Elm. I LOVE their stuff; worth saving up for, for me!

bakerbynature — May 24, 2012 at 9:03 am

I spent every extra penny of my secret “dish money stash” at anthro last weekend – glad i’m not alone!

Jacqueline — May 24, 2012 at 9:42 am

Between your anniversary, purchasing some adorable plates, and eating some delicious food, it sounds like your week has been great!! My Thursday thing is a snack that I’ve been poppin’ in my mouth all week and we were featured on the same “Salty Sweet Week” together! Here’s the recipe: http://digintobooks.wordpress.com/2012/05/19/snacker-day-saturday-519/.

Amber K — May 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

I really need a good storage system, but I currently don’t have one. I think living in an apartment convinces me to not set up anything because I know it’s not going to be that way forever. Crazy, because I have no plans of moving anytime soon!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition — May 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Anthropology is such a great store! And they have great sales.

I love those pop makes! My boyfriend and I put coconut milk/water and freeze them and they taste delicious!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

coconut milk/water is good no matter the temperature! warm, cold, frozen.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — May 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I just stocked up on anthro things too!! I love that store!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — May 24, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I have just the regular cheap popsicle makers too. I guess it requires more patience, but it does the job just as well!

BroccoliHut — May 24, 2012 at 4:26 pm

You’re smart for skipping the Zoku–my sister bought it for me as a Christmas gift, and I have yet to make popsicles successfully in it! I usually end up just freezing my pops in paper Dixie cups with wooden sticks in them instead!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 9:06 pm

wow, thanks for LMK! And yeah, I would never spend $50 on gadget like that..My $5 find has been working just fine. Old school works :)

Ellen — May 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm

The straws are nifty!
    My Thursday thing is that I just found out it is National Vegetarian Week! Being as such, how about a lovely veggie stir-fry?

Erin Motz — May 24, 2012 at 7:06 pm

My Thursday Thing just became those adorable straws! How refreshing! Thanks for sharing :)

Aj — May 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I am ready for your popsicle recipes… tonsils are comin’ out early june :)

Ryan @ Spicy Richmond — May 24, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I’m in desperate need of a buffet/sideboard in my dining room. It’s amazing how quickly your kitchen can fill up with gadgets!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 24th, 2012 at 9:05 pm

you got that right!

if you find something you love love love, LMK!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — May 24, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Oh, I love the straws! I have a thing about those cute things!!!

Holly — May 25, 2012 at 1:53 am

Some day I’m going to buy that Anthro hummingbird plate, along with the chameleon and honey bee ones, and hang them in my kitchen. I’ve been admiring them for a long time and they probably will never go on sale.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 25th, 2012 at 8:22 am

You’re right and if you truly love them, don’t wait…as their stock rotates and isn’t around “forever”. So much cute stuff, I know!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — May 25, 2012 at 7:30 am

Those pillow top bars — holy cannoli do they look Heavenly!! wow.
    my best gluten free recipe is probably my Monster Cookies! http://glutenfreehappytummy.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/gluten-free-monster-cookies/
    Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

LiztheChef — May 25, 2012 at 7:54 am

Next time you make a bloody Mary, try the reduced sodium V8 – makes a huge difference in salt level and has great taste.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 25th, 2012 at 8:21 am

Good tip. I am just super sodium-sensitive; always have been but will try the reduced sodium next time!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles — May 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

Oh my goodness! Pretty, colorful baking supplies are my both my love & nemesis! I could easily peruse through them for days!

CJ at Food Stories — May 25, 2012 at 10:50 am

As usual, another great Thursday Things!

Michele Sparrow — May 25, 2012 at 6:59 pm

My hubby is a software engineer at Google and his team was given this camera to test and play with:

I immediately thought of you, Averie, when I saw this! Have you seen this thing? It allows you to touch any part of the photo with your mouse and bring that area into immediate focus. Not only that, you can choose to allow your audience to do the same – or not. It is cool!! Imagine what you could do with your food photography??! Not that it isn’t awesome already! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — May 25th, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Wow, so cool! thanks for sharing!

Hope you and the fam have a great holiday weekend :)