15 Red White and Blue Recipes

It’s almost the Fourth of July and although I haven’t made any adorable festive food that’s red, white, and blue all in one, I do have recipes from each color.

If only I was as prepared for the holiday as Martha is.

Martha Stewart’s Red White and Blue Berry Trifle

My Red Recipes

Strawberries and Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF)

Coconut Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Almonds (vegan, GF)

Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Roasted Potato Sticks (vegan, GF)- not quite red but close

Microwave Strawberry Vanilla Mug Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Glaze – this one falls under the white cake with red berries on a blue plate special category

Cranberry & Orange Ginger Mango Chutney (vegan, GF)

Strawberry Banana Bread

White Recipes

White Chocolate Cookies & Cream Fudge

Homemade Horchata (vegan, GF)

White Chocolate Vanilla Peanut Butter Puppy Chow (GF)

White Chocolate Peanut, Pretzel, & Chocolate Chip Fudge

White Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups with Chocolate Peanut Butter Filling

Vanilla Cake Batter and White Chocolate Chip Caramel Corn

Blue Recipes

Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes (vegan, GF)

Purple Rain Smoothie (vegan, GF) – banana, chia seeds, berries, ice

Mixed Berry Clafoutis – the closest thing I’ve got to red, white and blue all in one – this dessert doesn’t get enough love and it’s so good. Make it like pancake batter and you can do it a blender in about 30 seconds, add berries, pour in a pan and bake. Custard meets pancakes, in bar form.

Do you have any favorite Red, White and Blue recipes?

Feel free to link them up

I have seen so many adorable things all over Pinterest, Foodgawker, and blogs.

My friend Marla just posted a great roundup of 20 Patriotic 4th of July Dessert Ideas she’s compiled in case you need inspiration.

What are you doing to celebrate the Fourth?

That’s just 5 days away (Wednesday) It really snuck up on me! Time flies.

The only bummer is that it’s on a Wednesday. Too bad we can’t capitalize on a long weekend situation this year.

We have no plans and hopefully will avoid the crowded fireworks shows and will instead stand on our balcony and should probably be able to catch at least 3 or 4 fireworks shows going on around San Diego’s bays and harbors.

We’ll definitely be avoiding the beaches. Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day are days to stay far away from the beaches since they are packed with tourists and locals alike, and parking is horrendous. We’ll walk to whatever we decide to do.

My request is a nice sunny warm day spent with my family. Simple stuff.

For anyone pre-celebrating this weekend, stay safe.

Thanks for the Healthy Surprise Snack Box Giveaway entries and have a great weekend!

54 Responses to “15 Red White and Blue Recipes”

Jess — June 29, 2012 at 1:31 am

My sister and I are going to make those mint candies of yours in red, white and blue. She made some on the weekend and they were really good!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Fun! Keep me posted if you end up doing it! And glad you already tried a batch with good results!

Carla @ Carla's Confections — June 29, 2012 at 2:16 am

You have such stunning photographs Averie! I am dying to try those peanut butter cups! They look amazing!!! All of those look beautiful though :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 9:32 am

Thanks, Carla. Some of the pics are older and I don’t love them but whatever…it’s a journey :)

The Preppy Vegan — June 29, 2012 at 3:39 am

If I was in San Diego, I’d be knocking on your door for some photography tutuorials. Absolutely stunning.

The Preppy Vegan — June 29, 2012 at 3:40 am

Except I would spell them “tutorials”, not like I did above. Whoops!

Laura Dembowski — June 29, 2012 at 5:26 am

Great looking and festive recipes! I will be trying the puppy chow soon.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — June 29, 2012 at 6:01 am

I love making baked oatmeal and putting a fruit “flag” on it. Last year I also made a banana cream pie with the same concept. http://www.spoonfulofsugarfree.com/2012/06/27/day-8-independence-day-treats/

sally @ sally's baking addiction — June 29, 2012 at 6:39 am

I haven’t made any 4th of July recipes yet. From seeing them all over the blogworld, I feel pressured and like a “failure” for not making any but I have realized that…. I just don’t care! I don’t have any HUGE 4th plans, so there is no reason to make something JUST for the sake of making it, you know? I might add some red + blue sprinkles to a recipe this weekend, though. I’m rambling!! anyway, i love your recipe round ups Averie! I somehow missed the Mixed Berry Clafoutis, but it looks WONDERFUL. Def glad you linked back to it.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 9:30 am

It’s an older recipe and because it doesn’t have the words, peanut butter, chocolate, funfetti, or cookie dough in the title, and people have never heard of it, it doesn’t get love. But it’s so good (and easy) – reminds me of your blender brownies. Blender clafoutis.

And this is one holiday I just don’t care either re the festive food!

kelley {mountain mama cooks} — June 29, 2012 at 6:52 am

You always have the best photos and round ups. Have a great weekend and happy 4th to you and your family!!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 29, 2012 at 7:00 am

mmmmm white chocolate cookies and cream fudge — outstanding! Averie, your recipes and photos never cease to amaze me!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 9:29 am

Awww, thanks. Some of them are older than others and I’m not in love with them but it’s an evolution :)

Tammy — June 29, 2012 at 7:02 am

This morning I made the microwave banana blueberry oatcakes. Hubby doesn’t like oatmeal but he ate part of it. I thought it was yummy and so easy. :) Have a great day! Tammy

Tracy — June 29, 2012 at 7:34 am

That trifle is adorable- I bet I can make something similar with raw ingredients!

This if the first year (that I can remember) that I am actually going away for the 4th. My boss had a senior moment and gave me off mon-wed (he tried to take it back last week when he realized that, lol, I said sorry but I am not sorry I already made plans). I will be in Virginia beach living it up in the sun. Luckily the hotel we are staying in has shuttle service so we won’t have to deal with parking issues.

lynn @ the actor's diet — June 29, 2012 at 8:08 am

i made these patriotic cookies in february using blue jordan almonds:

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 29, 2012 at 8:13 am

“My request is a nice sunny warm day spent with my family. Simple stuff.” Sounds perfect to me!

Melissa (Better Fit) — June 29, 2012 at 8:40 am

Wow, that sounds amazing being able to see the fireworks all around you! I hope you have a fun celebration!

Canada day falls on Sunday this year, which isn’t too bad! There’s a big expat community here in London, so they usually throw a great party!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — June 29, 2012 at 9:00 am

I’m loving the strawberry banana bread and the mixed berry clafoutis. Delicious!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — June 29, 2012 at 9:41 am

Ah you’re so much more creative than me! It’s Canada Day on Sunday (also my birthday, but I stopped trying to compete with a country long ago!) and I was just trying to think of something red and white and was completely stumped (except for berries and Greek yogurt of course). Adding blue in would really confound me haha!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I’ve made blue potatoes before but other than that, truly blue food is just not very common! And Happy Bday!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — June 29, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’m always shocked that these recipes are good for you, often vegan, and healthy! I love the cookies and cream fudge–how delicious! (Uh oh, bad word ;))
    Have a good weekend, Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Well, some are good for you and some…aren’t awful for you :) How’s that…haha!
      Have a great weekend as well!

Stephanie @ The Fitness Adventures — June 29, 2012 at 10:00 am

Great collection of recipes! It has been a while since I have been to your blog, and I am absolutely loving the new photography. I need to stop by more often to drool over your sugar bomb recipes! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Thanks and I have been trying to post more savory things, too, lately :)

Amber K — June 29, 2012 at 10:37 am

No big plans for me. I’ve tried to avoid the major crowds these last couple of years and I’ve loved it. Fireworks are pretty cool to me…for about the first five minutes. And then I’m totally over it.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

You and me both! 10 is about my limit..it’s like, next! :)

Katie — June 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

No one will ever be as prepared as Martha is for holidays. That’s why she’s Martha and we are mere mortals.

I don’t usually do themed holiday foods. I can’t ever get my sh** together soon enough. Or ever, for that matter. ;)

Rachel Cooks — June 29, 2012 at 11:20 am

I didn’t make anything either. Actually I did but it was lame and I decided not to post it. Or didn’t get around to it. One or the other. ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 29th, 2012 at 12:20 pm

and you’re pregnant and it’s hot and it’s my least favorite food holiday…it’s just not up there like Valentine’s Day or Xmas :)

The Purple Carrot — June 29, 2012 at 1:57 pm

It’s completely snuck up on me too! Hope you have a great 4th :)

Marina @ Picnic at Marina — June 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm

4th of July is a very special day in our family: it’s my dad’s birthday and we always celebrate it with his favorite food no matter whether we are close or far away. :) Have a good weekend too. I will be making those no-bake truffles my friend made following one of your recipes. Thanks for the link, I am sure I’ll find it. :)

Jen @ Savory SImple — June 29, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Very fun roundup! Happy holidays!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm

No plans as of yet for the Fourth of July. I requested off work the next day, just in case we do go to a show, but I doubt we will. But I do know we will be eating good that day!!! have a wonderful weekend!!

Michele Sparrow — June 29, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Love your recipe roundups! So many good ones…awesome photography!!

Getting together with sister and her hubby and all their kiddos and my mom will be in town, so looking forward to that. Then, that evening, the whole gang will come back to my house where we have front row seats to fireworks in our backyard! Not going out in ANY crowds!

Have a safe and joyful 4th with Scott and Skylar, Averie!

Paula — June 29, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Love your recipe round ups. I want to make some white chocolate PB cups and the corn chip crusted salmon cakes….and that is my only plan for July 4th so far! Have a great weekend!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — June 30, 2012 at 7:48 am

Those fudge recipes…the cookies and cream and the white chocolate, peanut, pretzel, chocolate chip one….seriously? Incredible.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 30th, 2012 at 9:47 am

Thanks, Meghan, and they are easy & fast…the name of the game!

Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors — June 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

I love the looks of that clafoutis and those peanut butter cups. Adding them to my to make list. This year we are heading out for the 4th, so no cooking at home! But I did post a Red, White, & Blue Quick Berry Bread today!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 30th, 2012 at 9:45 am

the clafoutis is a blender batter special – SO EASY!

And your bread looks so good! love quick breads!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — June 30, 2012 at 11:56 am

Wonderful roundup! I think adding in a handful of blueberries to your strawberry banana bread would be PERFECT for the 4th! Especially because bananas ripen so fast during the summer.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 30, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Canada day is tomorrow, so there should be concerts in the park and fire works etc.. I might take in some of those festivities … or just stay home and BBQ.

Leonor @FoodFaithFitness — June 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Great ideas! I haven’t decided what I am making yet.

Deborah — July 2, 2012 at 7:54 am

These all look SO good! Can’t wait until the 4th!