15 Summertime Eats and Treats

Wednesday was the first official day of summer meaning 2012 is now more than officially half over. How are we doing on those New Year’s Resolutions? Thought so.

No resolutions in this post. Just 15 summer recipe ideas for that are lighter, cooler, fresh and easy.

Orange Ginger Tempeh and Brown Rice Salad with Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette (vegan, GF if GF tempeh is used)

Orange Glazed Chilean Sea Bass with Mustard Dill Cucumber and Orange Champagne Relish

Steamed Brussels’s Sprouts & Broccoli with Cheezy Coconut Sauce (vegan GF)

Fresh Vegan Spring Rolls and 2-Minute Peanut Sauce (raw, vegan, GF)

Roasted Grapes and Balsamic Reduction with Cheese and Crackers (use GF crackers to keep GF and vegan cheese to keep vegan)

Peaches & Coconut Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF)

Homemade Horchata (Vegan, GF, Soy-Free)

Vanilla Iced Coffee – save your extra coffee, pour it into a pitcher or glass and store it in the refrigerator. Pour cold coffee over ice and add cream and sugar, to taste, and stir.

Also, pour extra coffee into ice cube molds for coffee ice cubes, which will water down your drink even less, if you really want to get fancy.

People make such a big deal over iced coffee but it’s so simple and I’m always amazed at the elaborate “recipes” and “techniques” about pouring coffee over ice cubes that I see.

Vanilla Baileys Slushie

Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria

Vanilla Avocado Banana “Ice Cream” (vegan, GF, no ice cream maker required)

Strawberry Banana Bread

Baked Orange Banana Coconut Donuts with Orange Coconut Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze

Pink Lemonade Freezer Bars

No-Bake Rolo and Caramel Cheesecake Parfaits

Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups and Ice Cream

Is summer weather in full swing for you?

Unfortunately in San Diego, it’s far from hot. In fact, it’s actually cooler now than it usually is in September or October. We are plagued by fog and a heavy marine layer this time of year, known as May Gray and June Gloom, and the gloom is more pronounced closer to the coast. Inland, not so much, but I live pretty coastal so have seen more gloom than sun many days. However, I think we’re breaking out of it because this week was much nicer.

Contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t always look like this here.

What are your favorite summer foods and recipes?

Link them up.

Thanks for the 3 Vegan Cookbooks Giveaway entries

Have a great weekend!

67 Responses to “15 Summertime Eats and Treats”

IdaBaker — June 22, 2012 at 12:32 am

These look amazing. And I’ll be they taste great in San Diego. I’ve been there a few times, and yes, for sure, here in FL, we are much hotter than you.

Love the Avocado ice cream. I might have to try that tonight!!

Ellen — June 22, 2012 at 12:41 am

Must. Make. Bailey’s. Slushie. That looks awesome.
    Favorite summer drink is this ginger brew:

Favorite summer food is fresh corn and this most excellent way to prepare it:

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:39 am

Ginger brew. Sounds fabulous. And yes, the Baileys Slushie is a 30 second little gem. Try it :)

Jess @ thefitspirit — June 22, 2012 at 2:26 am

I love this post! So many things I want to try! :)

Angela / Canned Time — June 22, 2012 at 3:00 am

Wish I could say it’s been cooler here in the east. Record breaker yesterday at 99 degrees.
    I had to make something fresh for dinner http://cannedtime.blogspot.com/2012/06/sweet-spicy-slaw-w-stove-top-bbq-beans.html I just wish I’d had some of your Orange Glazed Sea Bass to go with :0
    Can’t wait till September cools us down again.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — June 22, 2012 at 3:09 am

hahaha I don’t even remember my new years resolution at this point….

Besides a few recipes this week, I am totally on a no-bake kick right now. Sooo your no-bake rolo cheesecake parfaits are looking mighty tasty. Oh, and obviously that sangria! Your peachy coconut cream smoothie is looking so good right now too. Averie, I can’t even run outside these days… not even at a super crazy early morning hour. It’s TOO hot. So jealous that you run in hoodies right now!!!! Grrrr…

To me, summertime screams margaritas! I’ll be drinking some at the BEACH this weekend! Cannot even wait.

katie @ KatieDid — June 22, 2012 at 4:24 am

I want just about everything you posted right now. Love the balsamic glaze ones and the fish too.
    Summertime eats… quick, leftovers, cold, raw, fruit, crispy…. anything that falls into those categories!

Ashley - baker by nature — June 22, 2012 at 4:25 am

It’s full blown summer here! Once the city hits 90 degrees you can usually find me packing up and running for the beach – I wouldn’t mind a little bit of everything in this post being there! Happy weekend, Averie!

Paula — June 22, 2012 at 4:33 am

I like fish on the grill, chilled soups and any no bake dessert this time of year. Oh–and iced coffee. Hardly a day goes by in the summer without some! I don’t need anything fancy–light in color, sweet, and on the rocks does it for me. Flavored creamers and/or LorAnn drops make it that much easier!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:27 am

Flavored creamers and/or LorAnn drops are lifesavers, aren’t they! Have a great weekend!

Nicole — June 22, 2012 at 5:09 am

I just love all of the summer produce from the farmer’s market!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 22, 2012 at 5:43 am

Oh my heavens. The double chocolate chip cookie cups with ice cream looks SO perfect for a summer weekend! Love it!!

I’m a happy camper with popsicles. Always have been. Probably always will be!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:27 am

I just want your blueberry milk. Seriously. I love that you made it as a milk and not as a smoothie. The texture looks so divine!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — June 22, 2012 at 5:55 am

Summertime eats for me means melty ice cream, no-bake recipes, and lots & lots of grilling!

Ha, I can’t help but chuckle at your “June gloom” out there in San Diego. I bet it’s still relatively nice out, you guys are just so spoiled the rest of the year!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:26 am

No girl it really was awful last week. Think San Fran in October or Seattle. Cold, windy, gray, blustery. I would never have imagined it til I lived here. But this week it was stellar :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 22, 2012 at 6:35 am

I really gotta try that first dish. Can you email it to me for lunch ;-) Oh summer is in full swing here for sure. It was already 75 when I started my run at 5:30 and 78 when I finished. Sigh.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:24 am

Yes everywhere except here, I think summer is in FULL effect!

luv what you do — June 22, 2012 at 7:00 am

There are so many summer time recipes it is hard to choose. I just made yoru coconut cookie dough balls and I just might be in love! They didn’t turn out as pretty but tasted just as good!
    This Strawberry Bread is pretty incredible

And I always love a fruit salsa or bean dip!

Happy Summer!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:24 am

Thanks for blogging about the cookie dough balls. I could use a few right about now!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 22, 2012 at 7:07 am

Oh Averie! what delightful recipes! that sea bass looks incredible — that’s my favorite fish — so buttery and melt-in-your-mouth -y :)

my favorite summertime recipe has to be my Broccoli “Cupcakes” w/ Carrot “Frosting!” They’re Gluten Free, Vegan, and Body Ecology Diet friendly! http://glutenfreehappytummy.com/2012/06/11/broccoli-cupcakes-w-carrot-frosting-gf-v-bed/

Have a great weekend!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 22, 2012 at 7:33 am

I want about 5,000 of those spring rolls.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — June 22, 2012 at 7:50 am

GREAT LIST!! I love watermelon and peaches! I hope you had a great weekend!

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — June 22, 2012 at 8:05 am

Hehe, are you reading my mind? I was just thinking last night about my New Year’s resolution… :) Is the salad on the first photo on a plate from Anthropologie? Love it!
    As of being hot, I think in our part it is way too hot, I haven’t been for an outside walk or run in about two months, only AC gym, AC home, AC car, and AC store for some food. Boring… So I envy you for being able to go outside for a run or a picnic… :)
    Favorite summer food would be here (http://www.picnicatmarina.com/) and here (http://www.picnicatmarina.com/2012/05/back-to-roots-beets.html), and I can’t choose which one I like better… :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:22 am

Yes it is. I bought quite a few pieces from them recently and that’s one of them. I got tired of spending money on things that looked almost like what I wanted but not quite, so finally just caved and bought *exactly* what I want and love them!

Laura Dembowski — June 22, 2012 at 8:38 am

I love fish and Chilean Sea Bass is one of my favorites so I’m excited to have a new way to cook it. Do you think Halibut would work as well? It is another one of my favorites. I also love roasted grapes, especially with balsamic vinegar. Summer in general is a lot of fun with all the fresh produce. I hope your weather gets more summer-like.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:21 am

Yes it would be perfect with halibut or really almost any fish you have and like!

Stefania @ Revitalize with Stefania — June 22, 2012 at 8:46 am

I haven’t been drinking coffee while I breastfeed, but all your talk about iced coffee on a hot day like today, and now I NEED to make a pot and get it into the fridge stat.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 9:20 am

I think a cup here or there isn’t a big deal (it wasn’t for me) but every woman is different and experiences vary, but I say…go for it :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — June 22, 2012 at 9:36 am

Vanilla-Baileys slushie?! Must check that out!

Amber K — June 22, 2012 at 10:58 am

Well we did finally stop having thunderstorms and days upon days of just POURING down rain. In fact, I think we finally got more than a couple of days where it made it close to 80. So maybe summer is finally happening in Oregon?? One can only hope ;)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — June 22, 2012 at 11:01 am

I need to try your orange balsamic vinaigrette! And iced coffees are dominating my mind too – it’s just that time of year! Homemade frappuccinos are tasting supppper good!

Sarah — June 22, 2012 at 11:16 am

You make iced coffee exactly the way I do – just stick the leftover hot coffee in the fridge! And that way I can mix in my sugar when it’s hot and drink it later.

Elana — June 22, 2012 at 2:09 pm

You posts always make no baking on Friday rule go straight to shit!!! Mmmm

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 10:38 pm

LOL. Hope it’s good sh*t :)

• Elana replied: — June 23rd, 2012 at 8:13 pm

You know it! This time I gave the flourless peanut butter cookies to my gluten intolerant friend, so I didn’t eat them all by myself ;)

Katherine Martinelli — June 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

What a gorgeous round-up of recipes!! Sensational photos.

Deirdre — June 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Haven’t tried the avocado in my banana soft serve- but totally want to give it a shot!

You’ve helped me with some light recipes for the next week! Thanks for sharing!

I just made some major banana monkey bread and it was a tasty!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 10:37 pm

well that’s pretty cool and keep me posted how light recipes week shapes up!

lynn @ the actor's diet — June 22, 2012 at 4:26 pm

i recently made this strawberry icebox cake that was a HUGE hit with everyone who ate it – defintiely my new go-to summertime dessert:

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Wow. That looks awesome! Love the choc drizzle and the strawberry slicer :)

The Blissful Baker — June 22, 2012 at 5:24 pm

These recipes all look divine! Especially that iced coffee-YUM!

Check out my latest recipe @ bakingblissful.blogspot.com

Patricia @ thecastironvegan — June 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

We made rice paper/veggie rolls earlier this week; you’re right that they are a perfect summer food. So cool and refreshing, and you don’t have to use the stove to make them!
    I still have to make your horchata….one of these days, I will.
    I agree about iced coffee. Coffe + ice = iced coffee; add soy milk etc. as desired.

Patricia @ thecastironvegan — June 22, 2012 at 6:10 pm

P.S. I saw on your last post that you have a Cuisinart immersion blender. My oh-so-trusty Braun immersion blender, which I’ve used several times a week for the last 11 years, finally broke. Do you recommend the Cuisinart one? How do you get the BB&B coupons? Thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 10:32 pm

It was $30 bucks and I’ve had it a week but so far, so good…especially for the price. I say buy what’s on sale and isn’t too heavy. Some of them weighed like…10 lbs and I didn’t want that!

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings — June 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Wow these pictures are making me want to go bake dessert now! That rolo parfait looks so good! I haven’t had a rolo since high school.

The Healthy Apple — June 22, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Fabulous post, Averie! Love these ideas. I couldn’t live without the NuNaturals Vanilla liquid stevia; it’s amazing in everything from desserts to drinks to sauces!
    Thanks for this great round-up of recipes.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    xox

Michele Sparrow — June 22, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Summer makes me think of delicious fruit, berry pies and light, fruit salsas! Here is a great salsa that I am going to make on the 4th of July:

And I love the look of the berry pie:

Anything that can be blended in the Vitamix with ice and stevia is a winner! I love your broccoli and nooch cheese sauce! Nooch + stevia are my 2 necessary daily ingredients!! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 22nd, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I saw Jessica’s fruit salsa and thought…yum! when I read the post!

Glad that the broccoli and nooch cheese sauce is a hit!

cj — June 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm

So many recipes … so little time :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 22, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Everything looks so dam good!!!! My favorite summertime treat is grilled vegetables! For some reason when that have that BBQ flavor they taste so much better!!

Baker Street — June 22, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Everything looks incredible but I think I’m starting with the Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria!!

katie h — June 23, 2012 at 12:20 am

these look yummy!
    you’re lucky with that weather..i live in bakersfield and just a few days ago it was 109. i hate the heat so much (especially since i grew up in santa barbara, moving here wasn’t fun!)

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — June 23, 2012 at 5:01 am

Personally, I love the June Gloom weather for working out.

And this year, at 38 weeks pregnant, I REALLY love it!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 23, 2012 at 6:08 am

Ah! New Year’s? *tear* I’m going to ignore all statements floating around the blogisphere that the year is half over, Christmas is almost upon us and Fall is up and coming. Denial of it all!

Jen @ Savory SImple — June 23, 2012 at 6:33 am

I cannot believe this year is halfway over. Your photos are so beautiful!

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 23, 2012 at 9:43 am

Great recipe recap, I need to try your Orange Ginger Tempeh – yum! Funny that our weather is not very summer like this weekend either, temps are in the 70s this weekend – quite a change from triple digit heat last weekend!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 24, 2012 at 5:15 pm

My favourite summer food is probably a hot dog done over a fire :-)

Deborah — June 25, 2012 at 8:05 am

Hello – all great ways to welcome summer!!

Rosa Michelle — July 2, 2012 at 2:15 am

Vanilla Ice Coffee and Vanilla Slushie are the best, by far they are the top of the list in Summer!