From The Weekend

The highlights of my weekend include:

1. Ordering this white Hemnes Cabinet fom Ikea.

I have run out of storage space in my kitchen-living-dining room (it’s all just one big connected room) to store anything. Urban living and no storage at its finest.

I literally have cereal boxes, nice dishes, yoga mats, camera lenses, and spatulas crammed into nooks and crannies, random drawers, stuffed in various closets and things are a big disorganized hodge-podge. Not to mention, things are getting smooshed and could break (gasp, Anthro dishes) and more storage is needed. Period.

I ordered this storage cabinet in the hopes to get photography dishes and bulky dry goods like bags of flour and sugar into one area, which will free up the cupboards to put the every day dishes into them which will free up the nooks and crannies which will make things organized and neat and pretty again.

Let’s hope my plan works because rather than stepping foot into Ikea on a weekend (nightmare), I ordered online with a hope and prayer it’s going to be fine and I’ll like it. My item will be delivered in about a week and an assembly company is putting it together.

Glass. Shelving. Tall unwieldy structure. Sounds like a recipe to break my arm, slice my fingers, or file for divorce if we tried to put it together ourselves.

2. Spending time here

3. Being with my family and listening to Skylar laugh and play her version of “Name That Tune” with us. She hums a tune and asks us if we can guess the song. We never can.

And we all bust out laughing.

4. I made food for Scott that made him happy and we had a low-key Father’s Day. The weather was picture-perfect on Sunday and we savored it.

5. I made some Special K Bars because I wanted something chocolatey and gooey and peanut buttery and no-bake.

My grandma’s recipe always hits the spot.

What was the best part of your weekend?

Do you have any Ikea purchases you love? Or storage solutions you love?

We did Skylar’s room from Ikea and have been very happy. For the price, functionality, and look I’m going for, it’s perfect. Both her room (and hopefully) my storage case.

Thanks for the Silpat Baking Mat Giveaway entries

58 Responses to “From The Weekend”

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 18, 2012 at 10:39 am

Love that cabinet! I’ve never shopped Ikea. Our house is really old and we are lacking in storage to the extreme. I would love to be able to redo the kitchen with sneaky cool storage. Sounds like you guys had a nice weekend together. Love the scenery!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 11:40 am

sneaky or not sneaky, storage needed to happen. Hope you guys find a solution, too. For the price, it’s a good find and it’s functional <– key

Kris — June 18, 2012 at 10:40 am

I have restaurant metro racks for my storage, they are sturdy and I love how they look – stainless steel. at our new place, the formal dining room off the kitchen is my photography and storage area, convenient and can be hidden by a pocket door if needed.

hope you like the cabinet when it arrives! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 11:39 am

Girl that’s the best use of a formal dining room..ever. Who really uses their formal dining room all that much if you already have another kitchen/eating area and that’s perfect for it! And the racks….I need those too, but don’t own so can’t be mounting tons of stuff.

Julie @ Table for Two — June 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

I was just at Ikea yesterday and we bought the Hemnes entertainment center set and we were going to buy those same cabinets (in grey brown) but Jason told us to hold off. We also got into a mini argument yesterday about how I just wanted to buy one single cabinet like you bought to put in the kitchen area for all my props..he said no and how it’d look tacky and told me to just put in the buffet we have in our hallway :( wahhh I want to display my cool props and fabrics! haha

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 11:37 am

That’s interesting that you just bought it..yesterday (ent. center) !

I almost bought the black AND the gray-brown. Was worried in person the gray-brown wouldn’t be pretty and with really needing to SEE what’s in the cabinet with “clean eyes” and not have it be color-tinged, I opted for white. Stylistically, black or gray-brown would have been prettier in the house but functionality, white. And tacky or not, I just HAVE to get this crap organized. Literally I have stuff falling out of the cabinets. Must change.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

I love Ikea! They’re Hemnes line is so cute. And those special k bars get me every time!! thanks for sharing!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — June 18, 2012 at 10:54 am

That Ikea cabinet is GORGEOUS. I think you’ll like it in person– I always hesitate to buy some things online – like furniture or clothes (from a store I’ve never shopped at before). I wish I had a storage solution I loved… my kitchen cabinets are full of SO MUCH baking supplies and ingredients. And yet, I still have to make almost daily trips to the store for more ingredients lol.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 11:35 am

It’s b/c I buy a little of this, a little of that and I need 1/2 cup of M & M’s for cookies and have a 2 lb bag. Repeat x50 with everything else. Not to mention regular food…cans of beans and corn and granola bars and jars of this and that…takes up so much room! And the dishes..don’t even get me started!

Amber K — June 18, 2012 at 11:07 am

A graduation party, the naked bike ride in Portland and Father’s Day. How does one pick the most fun thing? And no I wasn’t naked ;)

Judy — June 18, 2012 at 11:15 am

our entire bedroom is the Hemmes line lol. Actually, the majority of our house is Ikea. The decor of the newly married couple right?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 11:42 am

the majority of mine is West Elm (been married 11 years, so I upgraded :)) But the Ikea cases are bigger and more practical than West Elm or any others that I’ve seen. I need function, too :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — June 18, 2012 at 11:40 am

I love that cabinet! I’m on the hunt for a cabinet or hutch this summer and if yard sales don’t do the trick than I’ll probably give in and go to ikea :) I need more prop space!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 11:42 am

Well hopefully this one does the trick and I tried the yard sales routine but figured for the price and that this was going in the main area of my house, I wanted it as clean and “pretty” as one can get…from…Ikea :)

Ashley - baker by nature — June 18, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Ikea holds a special place in my heart – and is all over my apartment!!! I love the cabinet you ordered, it’s classically beautiful, and looks like it will hold a lot!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I think it will…have seen other blog posts from google images with people who have it and yes, i plan to stuff that baby full!

KatieDid — June 18, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Glad you had a great family weekend Averie! I worked some but also had a blast healing my mom with a yard sale and got some sunshine squeezed in there too.

Stefania @ Revitalize with Stefania — June 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I love IKEA- clean lines, simple, cheap, functional.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

YES! It’s like the bargain version of West Elm in many ways which works for my vibe!

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — June 18, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Averie, That cabinet is great, I had something similar from IKEA when we loved in Seattle for a very same reason you do. I loved it, too bad I couldn’t take it cross country, I could use some extra nice storage here too. I am sure you’ll love it.
    Our weekend was supposed to be a low key, quiet time with friend… turn out to be wild time with friends. I think we haven’t had this much fun and relaxation since the time before kids! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Ive had things in the past and in various moves, have had to let them go…and now, in this house, this layout, they’d work again. But they’re long gone.

The Blissful Baker — June 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm

That is a beautiful cabinet! Unfortunately no…I don’t have any IKEA but hopefully someday!

Katie — June 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm

You read my mind! I need to get a storage cabinet for my kitchen too. I was thinking about looking online at IKEA, but I am hesitant to order without seeing it first. I also want a butcher block topped kitchen island and I don’t think i have room for both. Ahhh….decisions…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I would NOT get the island but that’s me b/c they block off the flow of walking and energy but it does also depend on your room orientation. I’d fill in with a wall/side of house piece like a chest, stand, etc and then if you need more, get the island. My .02 of course

Alysha @Shesontherun — June 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Those Special K bars look amazing (printing the recipe now!). BTW, I totally own that red confetti mixing bowl from Zak designs. I broke the orange one in our nesting set, so I had to buy the XL.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I love the Special K bars and growing up in MN (and you in WI) they are such a midwestern-ey food. Good ole bars. And you broke the orange? That’s some heavy duty cooking!

katy — June 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I have the hemnes living room set (TV console, side table, coffee table and one cabinet) and you cant get better furniture for that price! I love my set!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 3:56 pm

do you have the cabinet I got? Glad to hear you have other pieces in the line and love them. You’re right, for the price…it’s fabulous!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — June 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I have a gorgeous red china cabinet from Ikea. It is such a statement piece in my apartment and I love it! My dishes are white and red so I just display them stacked up right in there. Glad you had a great weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

that sounds beautiful! pops of red can just MAKE a room. I bet it’s stunning!

Sue/the view from great island — June 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm

The first thing I thought when I saw that cabinet was “I hope she sprang for the assembly company” and you did—smart cookie! Your special k bars are haunting me…!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 18, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Love the white cabinet! I have almost all the matching pieces to that set :-)

JoJo — June 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Hi there, it’s been a little while!
    I love your choice, the space looks very clutter free in the photo, but I’m assuming you chose a right angle to shoot the room? :P
    I love white, especially for a living space. I would rather have lighter color than bright ones like red except for an accent. I think it’s less stressful & more relaxing to be around :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 6:10 pm

my house is 100% clutter free (visible)..I hate clutter and I either donate or throw away as needed! but with my collection of dishes and food/pantry stuff, just have to get something additional.

Paula — June 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I love the look of Ikea–so contemporary and clean looking. When it’s time to re- decorate or update, I’ll be checking it out. I had a productive weekend getting things done that needed to be done and having time to enjoy my hobbies. My husband was able to get Sunday off, so we spent a little time together after all. Sounds like you had a very nice weekend!

Sara Lake — June 18, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Best part of my weekend? My Grandparent’s 60th wedding anniversary (wow) and .. pumpkin caramel pie (recipe on my blog today). It contains ‘golden syrup’, which I think is a burnt sugar syrup – it is like liquid toffee. Can you think of an American substitution for that? I’d love to know if there is something similar.

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family — June 18, 2012 at 6:58 pm

i recently bought octopus hangers from ikea for hanging my cloth diapers and i love them. And they were only 4 bucks each!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 18, 2012 at 7:25 pm

The cabinet is nice! I have a small house and I could use a cabinet, all my stuff is sitting on a table in my front room!

Michele Sparrow — June 18, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I understand that in terms of matching the other colors would have fit the color scheme in your house, but I always love a pop of white color. I think that will look great in your house. Actually, I like it so much that I am going to go look at it in white myself!! It’s not available online anymore! Boo! :-(

Those Special K bars look so good right now!! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 8:50 pm

that’s super weird….I just clicked on it and it *is still* available online for me. Now that’s a mystery…maybe b/c the distribution center in CA is diff than where it would be for you? Weird. Call and order though…they’ll always take your money over the phone :)

• Michele Sparrow replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 9:18 pm

After you posted this, I tried again and now it is available! What the what?? I love it! My only dilemma..where to put it! :-)

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Love, love, LOVE that cabinet!!! Super cute and versatile. You’ll have to post pics once you have it set up! :)

And holy moly. Those Special K bars look irresistible!!

Ellen — June 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Best part of my weekend was that the play I’m in unally opened and sold out both nights do it looks like it’ll be a good run!
    As for ikea, my mattress from there is quite comfy:)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Skylar’s mattress is from there and she’s never once (knock on wood) had a bedtime power struggle with us. So I’ll say it’s the mattress :)

Jess @ thefitspirit — June 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Love that picture of Coronado! When I lived in SD I worked in Coronado, such a beautiful place to go to work everyday! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 10:23 pm

It’s amazing you made it into work and got anything done – I’d have been outside :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 18, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Great Ikea find! I keep my camera and lenses in the pantry too, easier access. :-) We have a few of the Ikea Expedit shelves in our office, gym, and bedroom with tons of baskets, filers, and drawers for storage.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 18th, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I keep them on the counter far too close to the stove because the pantry is full. With dishes. Need.storage.asap.

Leonor@FoodFaithFitness — June 19, 2012 at 6:05 am

I love that cabinet! I hope it works out for you. I am running out of space too, but my problem is getting rid of clutter!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 19th, 2012 at 8:55 am

I de-clutter and donate all the time, I just have run out of room in an urban condo with 3 people…tight quarters here!

GSD — June 19, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I’m more impressed with the special K bars, i’m hungry now