June 2012 Recipes

It’s the last day of the month and in keeping with my plan at the beginning of the year to recap the noteworthy things I made, here goes:

No-Bake Rolo and Caramel Cheesecake Parfaits

National Cheese Day Recipes

Roasted Grapes and Balsamic Reduction with Cheese and Crackers

15 ecipes Using Cake Mix  (and none of them actually make a cake) – Thanks to Pinterest, this post has been a hot tamale

Apricot Butterscotch Peanut Butter-Filled Sandwich Cookies

20 Peanut Butter Recipes for National Peanut Butter Day

Orange Ginger Tempeh and Brown Rice Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette (vegan, GF if GF tempeh is used) – my new favorite salad

10 Father’s Day Recipes

Corn Chip-Crusted Southwestern Salmon Cakes with Creamy Lemon Chili Sauce (GF)

Old-Fashioned Butter Mints (no-bake, GF) – this is another recipe that people on Pinterest have loved and I’m a little surprised because I thought I was the only one who liked these old-fashioned mints like my grandma used to keep in her candy jar

15 Summertime Eats and Treats

Mango and Sour Cream Muffins with Streusel Topping

Pumpkin Spiced Brown Rice Tempeh and Cranberry Salad – (vegan, GF if GF tempeh is used)

Noteworthy Non-Food Posts:

20 Father’s Day Gifts Under $20 – This took me forever to write – not sure what I was thinking

Coronado Island – Skylar’s last day of school picnic. Picnics on my last day of school growing up in rural Minnesota looked a wee bit different

New Storage Cabinet – I am in love with a cabinet. I’m so happy I have a place to store my dishes and it’s all neat and organized. Best purchase of 2012.

What were the highlights of your June?

In food, I’ve been making an effort to post more savory recipes. However, I like to bake more than I like to cook savory foods, which pushes me outside my comfort zone. I’ll almost start a baking project but then I think to myself, I can’t post more cookies.

So I make tempeh salads instead, which isn’t entirely a great trade going from cookies to salads for my tastebuds, but holiday baking season is right around the corner, right?

In other matters, I’m loving the warmer weather and it’s by no means ‘hot’ in coasteal San Diego (low to mid 70s as daytime highs) but I love summertime. Longer days, summer fruit, being able to run outside in just a sports bra and shorts is something I wait all year to do and have been loving every mile of it.

Previous Months

January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012

The winner of the Healthy Surprise Snack Box Giveaway is Liz (Little Bitty Bakes)

43 Responses to “June 2012 Recipes”

Jess — June 30, 2012 at 3:08 am

It is winter here, so my June things are warm cardigans, watching the big surf, more glimpses of whales and dolphins and trying new dishes in the kitchen!

Karen — June 30, 2012 at 3:55 am

I made your peanut butter cups and they were divine, now I can’t wait to try making your taco hot dish – it looks solo good. My son’s birthday is July 2nd so my June thing is usually planning his birthday party. This year theme was He Man. Your 2nd last photo makes me miss California !

• #
      Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 30, 2012 at 9:51 am

Glad you enjoyed the PB Cups & keep me posted on what else you try. Happy bday to your son!

lindsay — June 30, 2012 at 3:56 am

San Diego does have perfect weather in the summer. Enjoy those runs for me. And as always, keep the recipes coming. I just adore your taste buds. I need to try the roasted grapes, brilliant!

• #
      Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 30, 2012 at 9:53 am

the grapes were fun – next up, leftover/extra strawberries, peaches, or nectarines

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 30, 2012 at 6:24 am

those rolo parfaits look GOOOOOOD! Averie, all your recipes have my mouth watering and it’s not even 9:30!! hahah and i love your new cabinet! Bring on July!

• #
      Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 30, 2012 at 9:51 am

They’re super easy, too :) Perfect for hot summer no-baking kind of days!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — June 30, 2012 at 6:42 am

Highlights of my June were more geographically focused than food – getting my trip to Europe planned, etc. which of course means highlights of July should likely be eating amazing food in Europe!

Katherine Martinelli — June 30, 2012 at 7:06 am

Each of these recipes sounds better than the last!! Gorgeous photographs as always. You’re so talented Averie!

vanillasugarblog — June 30, 2012 at 7:15 am

so jealous of your weather
    ours is hot and humid
    man i miss cali so much; the humidity is brutal here

• #
      Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 30, 2012 at 9:48 am

Girl it’s so dry that I only wash my hair twice a week and use lotion like crazy…there’s just no moisture in this air! The opposite of your air. Stay cool!

Michele Sparrow — June 30, 2012 at 7:58 am

June highlights for me:

1) 17 year wedding anniversary
    2) Boys out of school (Seraphim now a senior!)
    3) Sunshiny days! Supposed to be high 70’s all week. Woo hoo!

Thanks for all the great June recipes, Averie. You know, I don’t mind seeing cookies every single day on your blog.Your cookies are mouthwateringly delicious and uber simple! So, you have one reader’s (at least) FULL support if you wanna keep a-postin’ those! ;-)

• #
      Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 30, 2012 at 9:46 am

Thanks, Michele :) You’re so sweet! And congrats on your 17 years AND for raising awesome kids…1 year left in h.s…can you even believe it? Don’t panic :)

Erin Motz — June 30, 2012 at 8:38 am

Can I just tell you that I’ve been daydreaming about making one of your rollo desserts for like 3 weeks? I even picked up a bag of them at the store last night in anticipation of an epic bake-off later this weekend. Thanks for the reminder ;)

• #
      Averie @ Averie Cooks — June 30, 2012 at 9:45 am

Well you’re almost done if you have Rolos on standby! keep me posted!

Christine (The Raw Project) — June 30, 2012 at 8:43 am

Great June recap, can’t believe it’s almost July! But that’s good, June has been a crazy month for me at work and in my personal life, so I’m ready to move on! :-)

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — June 30, 2012 at 10:01 am

Yummmmmm, the butter mints are a favorite, and I’m still stoked about the Fritos being a health food :) cheers to that!

Amber K — June 30, 2012 at 11:16 am

My highlight was making it to the finals in the line dance competition I spontaneously entered last night. I had planned to just go watch, but they talked me into trying. And now I’m supposed to compete in July? Craziness!

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — June 30, 2012 at 11:27 am

Found the recipe, thanks! Making it tonight, just need to buy chocolate chips (and I am willing to make a trip to the store just for one ingredient, not my thing, but this is an exception worth the trip). I miss the time when Trader’s Joe was across the street and I could just walk there… Sigh… Local supermarket is not too far either, but it’s baking hot to walk! I have some idea about this balls, wish me luck! :) Come see what I baked, yes, I baked! (I want to pinch myself too). :) Have a lovely weekend! Will let you know about my adventure with your recipe… :)

Marina@Picnic at Marina — June 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm

That was weird: look what name it posted me under… how odd…

Paula — June 30, 2012 at 3:16 pm

June went by so fast…but I think my highlights were seeing my stepdaughter graduate from high school and having her party last weekend. My parents came into town for the big event so my mom and I played a piano-guitar duet (just at home for fun but we sounded pretty good after practicing all weekend!)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 30, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Everything looks amazing! June was a good month!!! :)

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — June 30, 2012 at 8:28 pm

The highlight of June was celebrating my 42nd birthday.

But here I am, 3.5 hrs from the end of the month, still pregnant. So I think I know what my July highlight is gonna be.

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — July 1, 2012 at 5:53 am

Yes, I could do without the heat!! Thank goodness the crazy lady who owned the house before us installed air conditioning, and my due date is only a week away.

CJ at Food Stories — July 1, 2012 at 9:02 am

These look great :-)

Heathy — July 1, 2012 at 10:34 am

You always make the best looking food Averie! Mouth watering. Would love to dine at your house! Hmmm highlights of the month – summer is FINALLY here and Im soaking it all up :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I love your recipe recaps, Averie. I get to stare at all your beautiful different pictures all in one post!! I may try to do month recaps soon, it’s a great way to bring back the posts from the previous month.

“I’ll almost start a baking project but then I think to myself, I can’t post more cookies.” –> no, please don’t stop with the cookies!!!

• #
      Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm

you and me both with the cookies :) they never get old!

and the FF spinach & artichoke dip…well, there are so many people who write in telling me they want “healthy” recipes or are watching their stats closely, so figured it was a way for those that want to lighten it up, they can.