National Cheese Day

Today is National Cheese Day.

I hope you take full advantage of the day and eat something cheesy.

Cheesy Taco Casserole (vegetarian, GF)

Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Casserole (add cheese to it)

Cheezy Vegetable Bake (vegan, GF))

Baked Savory Cream Cheese & Herb Donuts

Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches

Chips and Cheese Chili Casserole (vegetarian with vegan option, GF)

White and Dark Chocolate Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake Bars – cream cheese counts as cheese, right?

Do you like cheese? Any favorites or favorite recipes using cheese?

Links welcome and here’s a compilation post with all my Cheese Recipes

There’s one day left in the Gourmet Crackers Sampler Pack Giveaway, which are intended to be eaten with cheese.

I have a new cheese-filled post coming up next. Clearly, I took this holiday seriously.

48 Responses to “National Cheese Day”

katie @ KatieDid — June 4, 2012 at 11:36 am

I just started working at a store that sells tons of gourmet and imported cheeses so I’ve been trying tons and loving most all of them! Not a fan of blue cheeses I decided but I’m now a huge fan of lots that I didn’t even know existed.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

of all cheeses, blue is probaly some of my least fave and yes there are sooooo many artisinal cheeses. More cheese than time on the treadmill, ya know :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 4, 2012 at 11:38 am

Can’t wait to see what you have cooking up. I love a nice smoked gouda, feta, or goat cheese. And I really have become addicted to Daiya, though not technically a cheese I suppose.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — June 4, 2012 at 11:46 am

Those mini grilld cheese sandwiches get me everytime! I gotta make them ASAP. Goat cheese is my favorite………… soooo creamy. I love it in salads with craisins + almonds. Oh and I adore cream cheese. My boyfriend HATES it but we ate key lime pie cheesecake (seriously, so so good!) over the weekend and he raved about it. I don’t have many cheese recipes on my sight, but I made oreo truffles over the weekend with GOLDEN oreos! Those will be posted this week. :) Happy Cheese Day!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 5:02 pm

key lime pie is amazing and with a little cream cheese thrown in, mmmmm!! I bet that was awesome! Golden Oreo Truffles..I made regular choc oreo truffles Xmas baking season 2009 or 2010 and need to remake and take better pics :)

Sue/the view from great island — June 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’m always out of the loop when it comes to these ‘National fill-in-the-blank Days! Your selection is great, I have to check into those cream cheese cake bars now…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

It took 3+ years of blogging before I managed to keep up with ANY of the holidays :)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — June 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm

YES CHEESE!! I’m going to eat all the cheese in my fridge to celebrate.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 4, 2012 at 1:20 pm

National Cheese Day! :) Gorgeous photos as usual! That Chili and Cheese Casserole looks out of this world! I don’t eat dairy, because it hurts my tummy, but once a year, at christmas, I will have a couple bites of Triple Creme Brie…its an XMas tradition…and it is SOO worth the tummy ache afterwards! hah….thanks for sharing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Triple Creme Brie…if there’s anything worth a bit of a tummy ache, that sounds like something I’d pick too!

Tracy — June 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Cheese is my biggest love in the food world (chocolate is a very close second). My absolute favorite is goat cheese! I recently tried my first raw goat cheddar cheese and it was amazing (espeically with some raw honey drizzled over top. Don’t knock it until you try it, I saw it on a cooking show, tried it and loved it). Cheese right now is a special treat for me as I am currently eating a high raw mostly vegan lifestyle. In fact, I think I could live a full vegan high raw lifestyle if it weren’t for my love of cheese! LOL :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

raw goats cheese is a delicacy, yes! and cheese with honey is great…i would never knock that!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Cheese day? Awesome. I really need a calendar with all of these national holidays and special food days. I’ve missed pi day every year and it’s seriously one of my favorites.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Pi day. People blog about that every year and it’s not one I pay attention to…but if I remember it, I’ll remind you!

Ellen — June 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Cheese is marvelous stuff. I’m partial to Brie and Camembert. And a good cheddar with apples is divine…
    Happy Cheese Day!

CJ at Food Stories — June 4, 2012 at 3:57 pm

In my house, every day is national cheese day :-)

Catalina @ Cake with Love — June 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I can’t believe I used to hate cheese, to the point were I was ordering cheese less pizzas and would never add cheese to a lasagna, now I eat it I am not crazy about it, but I love my pizza with lots of cheese, love gouda and sharp cheddar cheese with apples and honey, I also like hard cheeses like romano and parmesan, and absolutely hate blue cheese, I can’t even smell it! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 5:05 pm

of all the cheese, blue is my least fave..I’d much rather sample just about any others! i love SHARP cheddar too!

B @ Crags and Veggies — June 4, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Wow girl, it all looks amazing but especially the herb doughnuts!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Gahhh, National Cheese Day!!!!!?? How did I not know about this! I am a HUGE HUGE fan of cheese and like pretty much all cheeses (except blue). My favourites are Gruyere and goat cheese.

Alysha @Shesontherun — June 4, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I’ve eaten enough cheese for 10 people this weekend on a blogger’s cheese tour in Madison, WI – but I could still eat more!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I can only imagine! I want you to wear one of those Green Bay Packer Cheesehead hats on your next tour. :)

• Alysha @Shesontherun replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 6:55 pm

My dad would shoot me! We are Chicago Bears fans ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 9:48 pm

my husband is a HUGE Bears fan. Born and raised Chicago guy!

Paula — June 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm

I like feta, Gouda and Brie, and I even made fresh ricotta a couple of times. I am wanting to try some raw cheese–people seem to love it so I think I will too! Have you tried raw cheese? The closest I came to cheese today was nooch in my home made salad dressing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 4th, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Raw cheese? Yes goat’s milk and cow’s. Remember, I grew up in rural Minnesota (near Wisc the cheese capital) where everyone had barns and cows…raw milk and cheese were pretty common. And now it’s trendy in CA to have raw milk and cheese. So yes, and I’ve lived to tell the tale :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — June 4, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Ohhhh, how I love cheese :-) I don’t think I could ever choose a favorite.

Erin Motz — June 4, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I’m running out of adjectives for you, Averie. Lol! Seriously, National Cheese Day?! What kind of delicious nonsense is THAT?! What’s a few more recipes on the Pinterest recipe board, anyway? ;)

Jenna @ LittleKitchenBigFlavors — June 4, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Everyday should be National Cheese Day… I don’t know I missed this holiday! Good think I ate feta on my salad tonight. I’ve never met a cheese I didn’t like. I especially love smoked gouda or smoked blue.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — June 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Oh, I missed it. I don’t think I had any cheese today! :( All your dishes look wonderful! I really love the mini toasted cheese sandwiches!!

LiztheChef — June 4, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Hey, I did not know about Cheese Day – and me. married to a Cheesehead from Wisconsin ;) I spent this afternoon working on a creamy pesto recipe, so guess I was going in the right direction.

Marina@Picnic at Marina — June 4, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Do I like cheese? :) Every day is a cheese day in this house! :) We love cheeses, especially the raw milk cheeses. favorite would be sheep’s milk Pecorino Romano. Show me tomato and slice of pecorino, and i would melt instantly…:)

Cakewhiz — June 5, 2012 at 12:22 am

Cheese is the best…i can never have enough of it…lol. All of those recipes look yummy! I am especially digging those mini sandwiches!

Annie @ What's Annie Making? — June 5, 2012 at 4:59 am

Coming from Wisconsin I am a cheese fanatic!!! Fresh squeaky cheese curds all the way. I put fresh mozzarella on my grilled pizza last weekend and it was divine too.

Leonor@FoodFaithFitness — June 5, 2012 at 5:35 am

Oh my! I love cheese, only can’t have too much of it these days. I really want to try those cheesy veggies. Maybe that would help my kids eat them!

Stefania from Revitalize with Stefania — June 5, 2012 at 5:48 am

I rarely eat real cheese anymore, but when I do it has to be soft, creamy and stinky.Brie will do lol. To celebrate the day I had cheesy nacho sauce from nutritional yeast :)

Sam @ Fit for My Fork — June 5, 2012 at 6:22 am

Cheese is one of my favourite foods! I love that it has it’s own national holiday. Yum!

Deborah — June 5, 2012 at 7:30 am

Oh, man! How did I miss out on national cheese day? Looks like I need to celebrate a day late!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — June 5, 2012 at 7:39 am

Happy National Cheese Day! Hope you’re week is off to a great start

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — June 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

Is there anything else in the world as fantastic as cheese? All these look and sound rockin’ especially those mini grilled cheese sammies! YUM!

CJ at Food Stories — June 5, 2012 at 10:14 am

I always tend to get more in the store than originally anticipated so I try not to go hungry :-)

Amber K — June 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

I love cheese, but it doesn’t always love me. My body can handle yogurt and ice cream a lot easier than cheese. So I guess the first part is good, but CHEEEESE!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm

This holiday was MAAAADE FOR MY MOUTH.