Thursday Things

Here are this week’s Thursday Things:

1. If you’ve ever wanted to smell like birthday cake, blueberry, bourbon, or brownies, Demeter Fragrance has you covered.

Scents in their Top 30 scents include: Sex on the Beach, Jelly Belly Blueberry Muffin, and Cannabis Flower. You probably wouldn’t want to wear them all at once.

2. This Oxo Multi-Purpose Scraper & Chopper ($9.99). I like that it has measurements etched in so that if I really want to be precise and cut my bars 2-inches-by-2-inches, I know exactly what I will yield from an 8-by-8-inch pan and everything will be precise. I don’t own it yet but have no idea what I’m waiting for. The OCD precision-loving cook (me) must have it.

3. Rainbow Glam Wrap – Crystals meet friendship bracelet. Why my 7th grade self never thought to put crystals into the friendship bracelets I made all summer long I will never know.

4. Crystal Covered Cocktail Ring – Somehow I don’t think you’re supposed to wear the friendship bracelet and the ring together unless you want to look like you just raided your mom’s jewelry box and are five years old and playing dress-up, which sounds kind of fun actually. Skylar does it all the time.

Both the bracelet and ring are from Bauble Bar. If you’re feeling weak or don’t have your credit card locked up and 10 rooms away, don’t open that link because it would be so easy to get extremely carried away. Kris I blame you for turning me onto this site.

5. Plastic that looks like China from Pottery Barn. Set of 4 plates for $28. Or at least could pass for finer China in pictures, which is all I care about for food photography.

They are a little “busy” for food photography but sometimes a “boring” slab of chocolate can look fabulous with some busyness. I never know until I plate it up what’s going to work and what’s not. However, in all reality, it’s hard to make chocolate look bad.

6. Lots of talk of jewelry in this post. Well, it’s been a hot topic in our house this week. Skylar wants to get her ears pierced and has been asking me at least 17 times a day. My mom made me wait until my tenth birthday but there’s no way we will be holding out four and a half more years.

She’s five and going on fifteen and the thought of getting her ears pierced is all she can talk about. That and her red boots.

7. All this talk of ear piercing and my “baby” growing up makes me want to have a cold one.

Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria

8. I wish it was hot enough outside for cold ones. Unfortunately San Diego, especially near the coast where I am, is not hot this time of year. It’s maybe 72F at the warmest point of the day and when I run in the morning , it’s cool enough that I have to wear a hoodie. “Hot summer days” are just a pipe dream.

Even this day was from from hot. We were all wearing light jackets.

9. Do you like frosting? I do.

Especially peanut butter frosting

This post has links to 16 bloggers’ favorite frosting recipes. Wow.

10. I bought this Calphalon 8-by-8-inch baking pan a few months ago and can vouch for it being the best little 8-inch square pan I’ve ever had.

Heavy-weight, very durable, extremely non-stick, and I’ve been loving the results I’ve been having with it.

What are your Thursday Things? Any favorite baking tools, supplies, dishes or fragrances?

Feel free to link up anything you’ve made, done, seen, or bought that’s especially fabulous.

How old were you when you got your ears pierced? Is there a “right” age?

I was 10 and felt that was “ancient”. My friends got their ears pierced around first or second grade. For me it was the summer in between fourth and fifth grade and for years I wished I could have gotten them sooner. Skylar and I have watched some YouTube videos of piercing in the act so she would know what to expect if holes are in our future. She gets so excited and claps for every kid on the videos in the ear piercing chair who didn’t cry. It’s cute.

Ironically, I rarely wear earrings, if ever. Maybe once a year. Scott wears his earrings more than I wear mine but the little girls at her school have started getting pierced ears and it’s monkey see, monkey do.

65 Responses to “Thursday Things”

Ellen — June 14, 2012 at 1:34 am

Oh wow, I think ten was when my mom said I could get my ears pierced too!
    As for Thursday things, I wish I had some fabulous recipe is recently made to share…I could reiterate my love of my immersion blender I suppose. It’s wicked wonderful to blend up adult shakes like this: http://scrumptiousgruel.wordpress.com/2012/01/31/dark-days/

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 1:51 am

you know what’s crazy is I bought an immersion blender on Wednesday! I was at BB & B and decided for 34.99 minus a coupon that I needed one…your drink looks fabulous!

Melissa — June 14, 2012 at 3:44 am

I was 11 when I was allowed to have mine done — it was AGES upon AGES of waiting! :)
    Not sure if you have thought about piercing guns vs. needles, but I strongly recommend needles – a google search should give you all the info you need about it if you haven’t considered both sides yet! (I had my ears pierced at a Claire’s w/ a gun – my sisters had theirs done at a doctor’s office w/ a gun….and knowing what I know now, I would only do needle piercing!)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:15 am

I’ve had both ways done (First set and second set) so if and when the ear piercing happens, we are thinking about how, too.

• Molly replied: — June 15th, 2012 at 5:26 am

Yes to needle piercings instead of ear gun piercings. If you would like some expounding as to why, I’m happy to do so. :-)

Alyssa (Down_To_Earth) — June 14, 2012 at 3:45 am

I got my ears pierced when I was in Kindergarden. My parents took me to a place in the mall. They sat me up in the chair and did one ear with their piercing gun. I was so scared/in shock to get the other one done, I didn’t let them pierce it until a week later…I walked around with one earring for a week. Haha, I always chuckle when I think about it.
    Skylar will do just fine though, she seems like a real go-getter and she’ll be brave :)

katie @ KatieDid — June 14, 2012 at 3:52 am

It was ears pierced at 5, double holes at 12, eyebrow at 17, and a tattoo at 21 haha. Not sure what’s next ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:13 am

Life is a journey. It’ll be fun to think of the what’s next…

Lea — June 14, 2012 at 4:01 am

I was 8 when I got my ears pierced. I was a hard core thumb sucker for a long time, so my parents bribed me with getting my ears if I stopped. It worked. And now 13 years later I have 10 ear piercings. It happens.

I bought a lemon ginger candle the other day. It was $5 but was on clearance for $1 and smells amazing! Cheap thrills.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — June 14, 2012 at 4:02 am

So many pretty things to look at in today’s Thursday Things! Those crystal friendship bracelets are adorable! I got my ears pierced when I was 4! I now have 3 in each ear and my right cartilage pierced. Those fragrances are mind-blowing – I would LOVE to smell like birthday cake 24/7! Although, it would make me rather hungry. ;)

I’m checking out that frosting link now… 16 fabulous bloggers’ frostings? I’m so there!

Averie, do you line your baking pans with parchment when you’re making bars? I can never get it to smooth all the way down into the pan and line up the edges properly.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:12 am

I line all my pans with foil, not parchment. You cannot get a tight seal with parchment and the batter just slides around and creates more of a mess than if you did nothing. Sometimes the foil punctures and some batter drips onto the pan (that’s why I said I know it’s very non-stick) but overall, I am a foil girl with pans. That way I can just lift it all out, too, and cut it on a cutting board. With photos, precise cuts are key and anything to make things easier, I am all about it. Not to mention, cleanup and elbow grease is saved!

• sally @ sallys baking addiction replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 10:57 am

I’ll try foil next time! Parchment paper is so fussy and hard to seal down. Thanks Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 11:33 am

yes…as in, impossible. It has it’s purpose, i.e. melted chocolate work but never as a pan liner. I hate it for that purpose. I’d rather use nothing than try to line a 8×8 or 9×13 with parchment and make a tight corner. Doesn’t happen!

Paula — June 14, 2012 at 4:13 am

It’s hard to remember that far back but I think I was around 11 when I had my ears pierced. I think my stepdaughter must have been around 8 or 9 when she had hers done. She just bought a set of spacers but I’m not sure if she has them in yet. She is 19, figuring herself out and feeling out everyone’s reactions to her methods of self expression!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — June 14, 2012 at 4:44 am

Your Pottery Barn link reminded me of some plates I saw there that had a rope embellishment around the edge and I was positive it was china. When I picked it up to check the price, surprise!…plastic! I’m waiting for them to go on sale because…well, I’m cheap. :)

Thanks for the frosting link, you can never have enough recipes in your arsenal.

My Thursday thing is my Pampered Chef adjustable measuring cup. I had one for about 5 years, it broke and I replaced it with a cheaper one that only lasted 3 months before the plunger stopped working. You get what you pay for and I’m so glad to have a high quality cup back in the house!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — June 14, 2012 at 5:03 am

Ha! I have those Pottery Barn plates AND that square cake pan. Adore them both!!!

And love, love, love those friendship bracelets! :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — June 14, 2012 at 5:07 am

I was 5 or 6. My mom is a hair dresser and her friend/co-worker pierced ears so she actually came over to our house to do mine and my sister’s at the same time. Then later in high school (senior year) I actually pierced 3 more holes on my own. Ouch.

Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — June 14, 2012 at 6:08 am

My mom made me wait until I was 10, too! I remember it was SUCH a big deal- I felt like such a grown up. I think it’s a good rite of passage for a ten year old! Now I have 3 in each ear and I’m planning on more by the end of the summer… or a tattoo. Don’t tell my mom :)

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — June 14, 2012 at 6:39 am

I just got a 3 tiered cooling rack, and that is making my life 3 times easier! Ha! Love the list of things you got here! I want that bracelet!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — June 14, 2012 at 6:41 am

I used to wear Demeter’s Dirt fragrance! It sounds weird, but it smelled so earthy and fresh– I loved it!

Happy Thursday, Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:09 am

I would have never guessed that smelled good…but earthy, I can see that!

Bev @ Bev Cooks — June 14, 2012 at 6:41 am

Those plates are cuuuuuttteee-aaaaa.

Jacqueline — June 14, 2012 at 6:54 am

I totally understand the ear piercing dilemma! My parents made me wait until I was thirteen and it seemed like everyone else had them! I guess in hindsight I kind of like that I had to wait though to make sure I really wanted them. Those scents look awesome and so unique! My Thursday Things are drinks – I’ve been making smoothies and slushies and juice all week because unlike where you are (which looks gorgeous), it’s super hot here. Here’s a link to one of my fave drinks from the week: http://digintobooks.wordpress.com/2012/06/14/sparkling-watermelon-lemonade-on-the-rocks/.

samantha @ peach in the city — June 14, 2012 at 6:56 am

I wasn’t allowed to have my ears pierced until I was 12! I had to be old enough to care for them myself.

Melissa (Better Fit) — June 14, 2012 at 6:59 am

My mom wouldn’t let me get my ears pierced until I was ridiculously old, and by that time I didn’t bother- so I still don’t have them pierced as an adult! I sometimes think of getting them pierced still and picture myself in a line of 10-13 year olds!

I’m not a big jewellery wearer, but it is fun to get dressed up every once in a while and it’s good to have lots of fun options.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:09 am

I think some people do that with their driver’s licenses…and then they finally get it when they’re like 25!

Kelli@kellird.com — June 14, 2012 at 7:07 am

My daughter and I both had them done at the mature age of 4. We are pretty girly ;) I just ordered From Plate to Pixil thru your Amazon store. I can’t wait to read every page and improve my photography!!! Thanks for all the great recommendations!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:08 am

I read, and re-read, and re-read again every page…it’s truly a “years-long” journey type book. You will put it down and pick it back up over and over as you grow..thanks for ordering it :) Lmk what you think!

Ashley - baker by nature — June 14, 2012 at 7:12 am

My mom pierced mine as an infant, so I wouldn’t remember it hurting. But I’m not sure if I’ll make my own kiddos wait or not.

On a different note – loving the look of that sangria!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — June 14, 2012 at 7:26 am

oooOOooo between the sheets ;) haha LOVE that name!

Alysha @Shesontherun — June 14, 2012 at 7:59 am

I’d love to smell like birthday cake :) BTW, I LOVE those small dessert plates. Gorgeous.

marla — June 14, 2012 at 8:10 am

So much summer FUN in this post!! OMG. Love the perfumes and the rainbow bracelets ~ great finds Averie!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — June 14, 2012 at 8:30 am

i love that cocktail ring! it’s fabulous! And that drink looks pretty outrageous too! whenever i think of cali, i always picture it being super hot, but i guess that’s not the case!! i hope it warms up soon!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:07 am

not not at all! It’s wayyyy hotter and more humid in the midwest or just about anywhere than here. It’s 60F, overcast, and cool right now. Damp until the marine/fog layer burns off mid-day!

Leonor@FoodFaithFitness — June 14, 2012 at 8:35 am

Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but in my family, we pierce ears after the first set of shots. The thinking is partly because they won’t remember and they will be used to having something in their ears. I love those plates!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:06 am

Interesting thought process! I know some cultures pierce really young and maybe that’s why.

Katie — June 14, 2012 at 8:50 am

I have wanted a magnetic knife block wall thing for literally years. I finally ordered one on amazon, and it has hooks for other tools. Of course, since I was putting in an order, I added a few other things – some brightly colored measuring cups and spoons and mini colander set to hang on those hooks and a new French Press in red. The knife block thing has chnaged my life.

I had to wait until I was 10 yrs old too, and from the 8-10 years, it was torture, but mostly because my older sister got hers when I was 8. My sister in law just pierced her daughters ears at 6 months, and I have a serious problem with that. My brother wasn’t super stoked.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 8:58 am

magnetic hanging knife block…now that could seriously save some counter space! Chef’s blocks have such a big countertop footprint and are so big!

Kris — June 14, 2012 at 8:58 am

haa, you have the BaubleBar addiction. I am eagerly awaiting my second necklace right now… ;)

my favorite kitchen tools continue to be my Vita, my food processor, and my huge ceramic container that holds my spatulas and other implements – I have about 20 of the same red double sided spatula, I use them so often! :)

I don’t remember ear piercing age, I think around 12 or 13 (mom controlled). :D I wear the same diamond studs from Jason. every day. never change.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 11:35 am

I haven’t actually ordered…but I’ve online window-shopped, plenty :)

I have 5 of the same spatula…I need to use your trick for storing them.

• Kris replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 12:35 pm

if you DO order, you earn points on amount spent, which turn into credits. ;)

I LOVE my large container – it sits on the counter right by the cooktop, always full of spatulas, which are what I use for cooking about 88% of the time! when my new kitchen is completed I’ll be sharing photos… :D

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — June 14, 2012 at 10:06 am

Every time I see that sangria photo I literally feel thirsty. Lol! Looks divine. I also love that Pottery Barn “plastic china”. Beautiful! You have the best taste; I love your Thursday Things post because I always know I’ll find some gems in there!

Amanda @flecksofgreen — June 14, 2012 at 10:29 am

Plastic that looks like china is an ultimate favorite of mine! It’s so much cheaper and it looks just as nice and fun :)

Amber K — June 14, 2012 at 10:43 am

I got my ears pierced when I was 9 I think. My babysitter actually took me to get it done and didn’t tell my mom beforehand. Which sounds sneaky and underhanded, but my mom used to babysit the girl and did the same with her on her 9th birthday (or 8th, whenever the heck I got them pierced!). So it was just like passing on the tradition.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 11:34 am

now THAT’S a story! I hope Skylar’s babysitters don’t pull that with me though :)

Michele Sparrow — June 14, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I was six years old when I got my ears pierced. My parents took me on my birthday and I was sooooo ready! All my friends had been doing it and I just wanted them so desperately. I got little studs with my birthstone (garnet) and loved it. I happen to wear earrings every single day and have quite the collection. It is adorable that she claps for the kids she sees getting their ears’ pierced! As for a “right” age, I don’t know about that one. I think this must be determined with each mom/child. :-)

• Michele Sparrow replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Oh and – I am thinking it would be awesome to smell like a birthday cake! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 14th, 2012 at 9:41 pm

that’s awesome you have such vivid memories of it and reinforces that she will too if we do it sooner rather than later :)

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — June 14, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I was “old” when my ears were pierced: 4 years! That’s what I was told at least. :) I don’t remember that day, for me I was born with earrings. :)

Molly — June 15, 2012 at 4:18 am

I was 27. :)
    My parents would’ve let me get them when I was 13, but by then I’d figured out that it would hurt, and I wasn’t very girly anyway.
    Now I have 3 in each ear, plus my nose, plus a tattoo. Pretty. :)

• Molly replied: — June 15th, 2012 at 7:00 am

And my sister’s rule for her girls is that they have to be able to get shots/finger sticks at the doctor with no whining or crying.

Jennifer Osborn — June 15, 2012 at 5:53 am

When I was six my best friend’s mom worked at a jewelry store and I begged my parents to let her pierce my ears. She used a gun and it was excruciatingly painful. I really wish my parents had made me wait til I was older. I got frequent infections and we tried to let the holes close up and they never did. If I had a daughter, I’d try to make her wait til 12 or 13.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 15, 2012 at 9:37 am

I think Demeter fragrances are SO cool!

Maren — June 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Mom was going to make us wait until we were 13, but caved to my sister at 12. Then I got the option to get my ears pierced or a bike, and I chose the bike. I didn’t get mine pierced until I was 14 or 15…can’t even remember. I was over it by then anyway! :)

Erin Motz — June 15, 2012 at 5:02 pm

That’s so sweet! I got mine done when I was 5 because I, too, harassed my mom until she let me ;) I don’t think there’s a “right” age, just remember she’ll always be your baby… you’ll notice that when she picks out her earrings. My mom was worried her baby was growing up when I got mine done, but I ended up choosing Mrs. Pots (from Beauty & the Beast) earrings for my first pair. Nothing says, “I’M FIVE!” like Disney jewelry! ;)

jackie @ marin mama cooks — June 15, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hi Averie. Zoe got her ears pierced when she was 11. It was the perfect time because she knew how to clean and take care of her ears. Most kids get infections because they don’t know how to clean their ears properly or fail to do so. It was a big responsibility the first 6 months and she was ready for it. I know so many friends whose daughters got their ears pierced either when they were babies or when they were younger and most of them had a few infections or else their holes closed up because they didn’t keep their studs in long enough. I would hold off if I were you till she is of the age where she can handle taking care of her ears on her own. I am so glad I did and believe me, Zoe pressured me for years!

BTW, you hear stories about Claires but they did a great job on her ears and I would totally recommend them.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — June 15th, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Glad to hear that Claire’s did the trick for you guys and good insights about aftercare.