Happy Fourth of July

Happy 4th to everyone celebrating and a belated Canada Day to all those who just celebrated that holiday.

I wrote a 15 Red, White, and Blue Recipes post a few days ago.

Today I don’t have anything earth-shattering because I’m not throwing any parties for the holiday or making any more red, white, and blue food today.

However, I bet if you made Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies and added a couple drops of red food coloring to the dough before baking them, you’d have a perfect red dessert for the holiday.

They’re practically red already and are foolproof and incredibly easy.

Or even better, add a few drops of red and blue food coloring to the batter and gently swirl for tie-dyed cupcakes.

And then stuff them with whatever candy you have on hand. You do have candy on hand, right?

3 Musketeers Marshmallow Candy-Stuffed White Chocolate Cupcakes with Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream

What are you doing to celebrate the holiday? Fireworks? Time with family and friends?

We’re not doing anything special other than standing on our balcony and hopefully we’ll be able to catch at least one (or two or three) fireworks shows going on around San Diego. We’re not fighting the crowds or dealing with parking to drive anywhere, that’s for sure.

The most crowds I am up for braving will be Trader Joe’s and the grocery store. I happened to do a horrible job of planning and timing my fresh produce and need to restock just about everything and luckily they’re open until 5pm today, as well as the regular grocery store.

I have a fabulous part 2 (giveaway alert!) to the Homemade Peanut Butter post, which was part 1, but wanted to post it on a non-holiday. Back to business as usual tomorrow with that.

For now, a run. It’s 65F, cool, overcast and windy here.  Tailgating, not firecracker, weather.

Have a safe and happy 4th of July!

24 Responses to “Happy Fourth of July”

Penna Answers — July 4, 2012 at 11:19 am

Happy belated Canada Day to you too, although you are not making any red, white, and blue food this time but your food looks as beautiful as anything irrespective of color you choose…

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — July 4, 2012 at 11:29 am

Happy Fourth of July! :)

Amber K — July 4, 2012 at 11:36 am

Have a great day Averie!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Happy 4th, Averie!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — July 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Happy 4th of July to you, too! Hanging out on the patio and catching the fireworks sounds perfect for me. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever braved crowds to watch fireworks. Why bother when you can watch from afar? Also (proves how busy I’ve been and haven’t had the chance to swing by…) LOVE the new sidebar images, very nice!

Suzanne — July 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Happy Fourth!

Paula — July 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Just hanging out with my husband all day–and cooking for him. The artichoke-spinach-roasted red pepper squares w/salmon cakes were excellent! I was a little short on cheese so I added nooch which worked well. We’re going to stay out of the heat (101 degrees) and catch up on a little TV tonight. Happy 4th!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 4th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Yay! Glad to hear two recipes were made and a success…and that nooch worked great as a substitute. I either have too much shredded cheese on hand or never enough…I can never time it right!

Michele Sparrow — July 4, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Hanging at home for fireworks with the fam. Little sister and her brood, plus my mom who is visiting from out of town, will all come sit in our back yard with blankets and glasses of wine, while the kids roast marshmallows.

I love how you have new pics of your recipes on the side. They look so yummy as I scroll through your post!

Happy 4th, girl! :-)

Laura Dembowski — July 4, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I was doing grocery shopping too. Luckily everything around me was empty. Unfortunately some of the shelves were too. Oh well, just another excuse to go to the store again ;)

Jess — July 4, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Happy 4th!!! X

deirdre — July 4, 2012 at 6:18 pm

We celebrated last weekend and will again this weekend…so odd when holidays fall in the middle of the week- except Christmas of course…then you get a few extra days off. Lots of Sparklers on both ends of the week = fun!

Vita @ Juicer Depot — July 4, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Great capture of of the fireworks. I spent the day grocery shopping and cooking on the grill.

trishie — July 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Great inspirational pics! The one with fireworks looks amazing

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Happy 4th of July!!!

We celebrated Canada day on Sunday … just stayed home, cooked and watched the fireworks from the front step in the rain :-)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — July 5, 2012 at 4:41 am

Happy Fourth, friend!! I hope you had a great vacation!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — July 5, 2012 at 6:06 am

We just had friends over for the day and hung out in the pool. It was too flipping hot to do anything other than sit in the water LOL.

Amelia — July 5, 2012 at 6:39 am

Oh man, only 65 there… I would die to have that here. Bet it’s nice to be able to run outside; I wouldn’t risk it here right now! It was 104 for us yesterday in southeastern Wisconsin, and we had to set our fireworks off further out on Lake Michigan because of the heat and the dryness. Apparently yellow grass and lots of flammables is not the best combination.

I wanted to make the strawberry cake mix cookies but as you can imagine turning on the oven didn’t sound so good. So we sufficed with some ice cream treats. Strawberry cookies will have to wait until another red-inspired holiday such as Valentines day… or more likely just a cooler day, hahaha. :)

sally @ sally's baking addiction — July 5, 2012 at 9:00 am

My 4th was full of yummy food! I was planning to make something to bring to Kevin’s family bbq but just didn’t have time in the morning. Sometimes I have to get things done and not be in the kitchen on my days off! I ate lots of guacamole and fresh veggies with this incredibly creamy dill dip. It was made form light sour cream, greek yogurt, A LOT of fresh dill, and salt. So simple and yet, SO delicious. Plus fresh strawberry margaritas! My tastebuds were in heaven. :)

LiztheChef — July 5, 2012 at 1:19 pm

We struggled to stay warm! And then when the fireworks were over in 5 minutes, we came home and enjoyed our red, white and blue dessert…http://lizthechef.com/2012/07/05/patriotic-berry-crumbles/

Stephanie — July 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Yum, these all look fantastic! Happy 4th

Stephanie

Deborah — July 6, 2012 at 7:33 am

I hope you had a wonderful holiday, Averie!!