Homemade Peanut Butter

Once you make peanut butter at home, it will be very difficult to get excited about storebought peanut butter ever again.

Not that eating peanut butter of any kind would ever be a chore because I love it so, but homemade peanut butter is a delicacy. And a nearly effortless delicacy at that.

Homemade Peanut Butter - A bag of peanuts and 5 minutes is all you need to make your own PB! Once you try homemade, you'll never be satisfied with storebought!

It’s akin to savoring a piece of high-end dark chocolate that’s rich and pure, uncomplicated by fillers, additives, or ingredients that have no place being in chocolate; and then grabbing a milk chocolate bar in the checkout line at the grocery store, which is likely a combination of tasteless, grainy, and waxy.

Apples and oranges. Store-bought peanut butter versus homemade.

Once you have something amazing, it’s hard to get excited about any less than.

That’s this peanut butter.

Sure, all peanut butter is good, and some is better than others, but this is in its own league.

It’s similar in taste to store-bought varieties of “natural” peanut butter. It tastes like real peanuts and nothing else.

At room temperature, it’s similar in consistency to a stir-free natural peanut butter, thicker than almond butter, but thinner than conventional Jif or Skippy.

I store my homemade peanut butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator and although I could keep it at room temperature, I’m sure it will keep longer being refrigerated and I prefer my peanut butter on the thicker side. Storing it in the fridge helps it to stay thicker and less runny, especially since my house is warmer now during the summer.

Honestly, there’s not that much to store. Every time I open the fridge, I see the jar staring at me.

And it calls my name.

Interestingly, my peanut butter has turned out to be “stir-free”.

It has not separated into oil and a solid mass, which is something I detest about natural peanut butters; the oil slick on top and that stubborn dry blob on the bottom that never really wants to re-accept the oil.

Find a food processor and a spoon.

This is crazy good.

The whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

Here’s a step-by-step breakdown (a literal breakdown)

16 ounce bag or jar of peanuts (use honey roasted, plain, salted, unsalted, or try a jar of mixed nuts)

Add peanuts to the canister of the food processor

No oil, no salt, just peanuts

Turn it on and watch it go

Wheeee!

There peanuts go through various stages in the approximately five minutes it takes to go from peanuts to peanut butter:

crushed peanuts

crushed into a fine powder

a paste

a thicker paste

and a big peanut butter “dough ball” will form

And then the big ball will magically break down

And turn into a gritty peanut butter

Keep processing and the peanut butter will get smoother, creamier, and thin out

No oil was ever added at any point during processing – just the natural oils from the peanuts are being released

Keep processing until you’re certain the peanut butter is smooth enough for your liking, another minute or so

I like my peanut butter very smooth, like buttah

The peanut butter is a little on the thinner and runnier side immediately post-processing because it’s warmed from the motor – similar in thickness to store-bought almond butter

After refrigeration, it thickens up a bit

As suggested in the recipe section, flavor your peanut butter with anything you want from vanilla or coffee extract

To cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice or cocoa powder

To spicy or savory, which is great for 2-minute peanut sauce (vegan, GF)

Or add some adult-version flavorings

This is your peanut butter. Get creative.

No, wait, this is my peanut butter.

And I’m not sharing.

Print Print Recipe

Homemade Peanut Butter

Once you try homemade peanut butter, you'll never want store-bought again. It comes together in mere minutes in a food processor and is better than any peanut butter you've ever tried before. Try it and you'll be hooked! Recipe is naturally gluten-free. Swap honey roasted peanuts for plain roasted peanuts to keep vegan.

Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

16 ounces honey roasted peanuts

Directions:

Add peanuts to the canister of a food processor, process on high power until creamy and smooth, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the canister if necessary.

The peanuts will go through stages of: crushed, crushed into a fine powder, a paste, a thicker paste, a big "dough ball", and then the ball will break down into runnier peanut butter. At the point the peanut butter is runny, continue processing for about 1 more minute, making sure the peanut butter is as smooth as desired.

If it wasn't for taking pictures, in my food processor, it takes about 4 minutes and I did not need to scrape down the sides; there was very little splatter.

Store the peanut butter at room temperature where it will keep for at least 2 weeks, or store in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator, where it keeps for many weeks, and I've stored it for months. As with any food that has no preservatives, use common sense.

Substitutions and Flavoring Suggestions

Substitute dry roasted, salted, or unsalted peanuts, mixed nuts, seasoned, or spicy nuts; I do not suggest raw nuts because they don't have enough flavor depth for me but theoretically they will "work", just a matter of taste preference.

Salt, to taste (I added none)

Peanut oil, canola oil, and I have also seen olive oil suggested, optional and only if necessary (I added none and although the paste is thick in the early to mid stages of blending causing one to ponder if oil is necessary, once you get past that stage, you'll be glad to have not added oil because the finished peanut butter is already on the thinner side and the robust peanut flavor is not diluted by oil)

Seasonings or flavorings to try and add in the final moments of processing and process until incorporated: cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cardamom, brown sugar, vanilla extract, coffee extract, specialty oils and extracts from LorAnn, a pinch of cayenne or chili powder or savory spices, cocoa powder, chocolate/white chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter chips and just pulse to incorporate; a handful of peanuts just pulsed to incorporate at the very end of processing to create a chunky-textured peanut butter. Add egg-less cookie dough chunks, dried fruits like raisins or dates; a splash of Baileys Irish Cream, Kahlua, Frangelico, Chambord, Godiva Liqueur; have fun with it.

If you're unsure how a flavoring will turn out, I suggest removing half the peanut butter or two-thirds of it, placing it in another container, and flavor a smaller portion, to taste, before flavoring the entire batch with one particular seasoning or flavor. Or get two or three flavors from one recipe based on how inspired you are.

Make sure to also check out

Honey Roasted Butterscotch White Chocolate Peanut Butter (GF)

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter (vegan, GF)

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter (vegan, GF)

Related Recipes

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter – (vegan, GF) –  Easy and make in 10 minutes. NO added sugar or oil. Very chocolaty & great for curing bad days!

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter in 10 Minutes (Vegan, GF) averiecooks.com

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter (vegan, GF options) – A homemade spin on Cookie Butter or Biscoff Spread, made by blending peanuts with gingersnap cookies and cinnamon, which gives the spread a slightly gritty texture, similar to storebought

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter (vegan, GF)

Peanut Noodles with Mixed Vegetables and Peanut Sauce (vegan, GF, soy-free) – The peanut sauce comes together in two minutes and the whole thing is a 5 minute meal

Here are 35 Recipes for National Peanut Day that all use peanut butter

Here are approximately 50 Peanut Butter recipes I’ve made and posted about over the years

Here are 20 peanut butter recipes for National Peanut Butter Day

Here’s an Peanut Butter Brand Comparison

I wrote a cookbook about peanut butter, 100 recipes that all contain peanut butter – My Cookbook: Peanut Butter Comfort

Included are 25+ recipes for homemade peanut butter variations

Peanut Butter Comfort: Recipes for Breakfasts, Brownies, Cakes, Cookies, Candies, and Frozen Treats Featuring America's Favorite Spread

Thanks to everyone who’s told me you’ve preordeded the book!

Have you ever made your own nut butter?

Recipe links welcome and I would love to hear your method and results.

Do you have a favorite peanut butter?

I love peanut butter in all ways, shapes, and sizes. I especially like honey-roasted peanut butter because it’s naturally sweeter. For baking and cooking, I typically use Jif Creamy. For baking, especially cookies, I plan to stick with store-bought peanut butter  because cookies are temperamental. Given that homemade peanut butter is thinner than store-bought, and because I don’t like flat cookies, I use the conventional.

For bars or other desserts that call for peanut butter with a recipe, sure, homemade would be lovely but honestly, the taste is going to be masked from a combination of butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and then it’s baked, which is the main reason I bake with whatever peanut butter is on sale. I save the fancy peanut butters for when I can really focus on every pure, unadulterated, peanut butter bite and not “waste” a high end peanut butter inside a recipe.

518 Responses to “Homemade Peanut Butter”

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli — July 3, 2012 at 12:53 am

Oh Averie, this looks absolutely dreamy! And I LOVE the addition of the “adult flavorings”! I’ve never thought about trying that when making homemade nut butter…which is something I need to do more often! Stunning pictures, as always!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 1:05 am

Thanks, Heather! Long time no talk and thanks for saying hi! :)

Lynna H. — July 3, 2012 at 1:06 am

I have my own peanut butter before too! I did add a little honey and olive oil. Tasted so good! Plus, I amazed my friends telling them that I made it myself. LOL

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 1:24 am

I know…people are AMAZED when you tell them you made it. Their eyes get as big as saucers…no one realizes how easy it is!

Red Deception — July 3, 2012 at 1:17 am

Nom nom nom.

You can’t beat homemade anything! I have not yet made home-made peanut butter, but now I may have to!

Ellen — July 3, 2012 at 1:19 am

Bailey’s in peanut butter? You are a wicked, wicked genius.

Kathryn — July 3, 2012 at 1:42 am

The step by steps are so helpful, I’m pretty sure I’d get to the big lump stage and freak out! Thanks Averie, I can’t wait to give this a try!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:16 am

Glad you like the steps and that they help…honestly I was taking ALL these pics along the way, turning a 5 min job into way more and wondering why am I doing this? … but knowing it helps = worth it! :)

• Debbie replied: — March 2nd, 2013 at 9:05 am

It really does help. I would probably freak out, too! I want to make almond butter, does it do the same thing?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 2nd, 2013 at 11:10 am

Almonds are a much firmer nut and although you can make your own AB, it takes longer and for some people and their food processors, it’s more challenging to get them to break down. I just don’t love AB that much so always stick with PB. Cashew butter is extremely easy to make and delicious if you want to give cashews a try. They break down very! easily.

Carla @ Carla's Confections — July 3, 2012 at 1:52 am

I am dying to try to make my own! It’s unbelievable how easy it is to make! I can’t believe it… Now I just need a food processor :)

Sara Lake — July 3, 2012 at 1:52 am

Yummy! I’m a bit allergic to peanuts (well, it’s hit and miss – fresh from the shell ones are ok, but waaaay too time consuming), but I make almond butter like it was my job. There is just no comparison in taste there either, or price. However, you have to factor in blowing up your food processor now and then.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:15 am

Sorry to hear about your allergy. Not easy as peanuts are in everything or touch so many things in the processing/manufacturing aspect. Glad that almond butter works for you, though!

Michaela — July 3, 2012 at 2:42 am

I just recently starting making my own nut butters, starting with sunflower seed butter. Soooo easy, and so good! Almond butter is my favourite though.
    I have added all sorts of extracts and spices already, but never thought of liquor! How fun would a raisin-rum one be??

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:40 am

Making SFSButter…I recently saw Heidi/101cookbooks just post about hers and that’s next on my list. I do love TJs SFSB but I know you don’t live here and have no TJs and I bet yours is even more amazing (and totally pure!). Thanks for stopping back and saying hi!

• Michaela replied: — July 7th, 2012 at 9:40 am

If you like the TJ´s one (I sure do!) then you will LOVE the homemade stuff. Freshly roasted sunflower seed are making such a difference :)
        Oh, how I loved being in LA and having daily access to TJ´s!

Sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 3, 2012 at 3:36 am

Peanut butter… an effortless delicacy… you could not be more spot on with that statement! And what I LOVE abut making this peanut butter with honey roasted peanuts is that you don’t have to add ANYTHING, I most definitel do not add any salt or oil, the pb is perfect on its own. I keep mine in the fridge and dip baby carrots in it!

What I love MOST about the process of making this pb is that mine gets kind of warm and melty after I make it in the food processor – from the heat of the blades turning for 4 mins straight. I LOVE that you made this and shared detailed step by step instructions and pictures!! I actually made almond butter the other day and mixed it with this pb because I wanted to see how it’d taste. It’s thick and amazing!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:39 am

The warm & melty would be so perfect in the winter and in the summer, the coolness of it after being refrigerated is so good and unlike commercial PBs when stored in the fridge, this doesn’t get that artificially cold sort of rock-like quality…still smooth!

Glad you like the step by step. It took me just a smidge of time but worth it I thought :) And LMK if you like your PB plain or mixed with AB. I am definitely all about solely PB!

Carole @ The Sweet Chick — July 3, 2012 at 4:00 am

Oh my, that looks amazing. And so easy. I am going to have to make some.

Lea — July 3, 2012 at 4:16 am

I actually really love the thick dry mound of peanut butter at the bottom of a jar of natural peanut butter. Kinda weird but it’s my favorite part of the jar!

I’ve been wanting to make my own nut butter and this post was really helpful, I’ll definitely have to make some soon!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:37 am

glad it was helpful and that thick mound is usually just a tasteless rock in all my jars which is why I don’t even buy natural any more!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 3, 2012 at 4:18 am

Homemade peanut butter is the only way to go. I totally love your take on it though! Honey roasted peanuts sound amazing!

katie @ KatieDid — July 3, 2012 at 4:27 am

I make my own almond butter all the time to save money now and really prefer the taste/ ingredients to the ones in the store. Next up I want to try making macadamia nut butter. And these pictures are simple, bright, and just gorgeous, they make me want to dig right in.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:36 am

Thank you; they took more than the 5 mins it took me to make the PB :) I’m sure you understand! Mac nut butter sounds great!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — July 3, 2012 at 5:07 am

Ooooh, this is the most beautiful peanut butter EVER! I absolutely love making it homemade. So fresh and easy, and you can have total peace about the ingredients. Fun!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:35 am

Thanks, Ali! And I loved your tomato post that I saw on Cassie’s blog.

Erin — July 3, 2012 at 5:12 am

Love it. I make peanut butter all the time and it tastes sooo much better than any Jiff version! As soon as I read the title, I thought, “Oh, I hope she used honey roasted nuts…” ;) Girl after my own heart! I’ll also sometimes buy a small box of the mixed nuts with no peanuts and grind ‘em down to a mixed nut butter. Add chocolate, vanilla bean, coconut, anything! Such a great, easy recipe – thanks for sharing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:43 am

Oh your version sounds great – there is really no wrong way to go with flavors I’ve determined!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — July 3, 2012 at 5:21 am

If I had a high-powered blender, I’d be all over making my own nut butters. My poor blender can barely handle cashews for a cashew cream. My cuisinart food processor is great, but it’s big and really note meant for blending.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:34 am

Ok wait, you have a Cuisinart but it’s not meant for blending? That’s a great brand of machine and if you can’t use it for blending..well…ya know.

This food proc I used is a 12 cup, so a pretty big machine. It’s not a “mini” by any means! I feel like the words “12 cup” or “14 cup” really are like coffee pots. That sounds “huge” but once you get to really using it, it’s not “that” big. Same with my stand mixer, it’s a 7 quart and that sounds huge but I am grateful for it over a 5 quart b/c I feel like I need the space! Point being, I think you should try your Cuisinart again!

• debbie replied: — October 6th, 2012 at 10:24 am

I use a ninja that I bought at Big Lots for 29.00 makes everything great! I bought it to make protein shakes with ice so they would be more like a milkshake, but works great for grinding anything and has a small and large bowl.

Natalie @ Cooking for My Kids — July 3, 2012 at 5:28 am

I have not made homemade peanut butter in a few years, now it looks like I will have to do that very soon. You are right. It is so much better than store-bought.

Laura Dembowski — July 3, 2012 at 5:38 am

This weekend I made a how to make peanut butter video that I am going to share on my blog soon. It is so much better than store bought; I kind of couldn’t believe it. I think I’ll be making rather thsn buying now. Mine was thick and creamy, almost whipped, and it didn’t separate either. Such a treat :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 3, 2012 at 5:44 am

Of all the nut butters, I’ve never made plain pb! I literally just ran out this morning too, maybe I should actually make it instead of buying it this time around. I love how smooth yours looks!

bakerbynature — July 3, 2012 at 5:47 am

I seriously need to get my little paws on a food processor asap!! I keep putting it off, and then I see amazing recipes like this, and I kick myself. One day!!

Penny Ortego — July 3, 2012 at 6:10 am

Just wanted to ask, how long is the shelf life or the fridge life? Also thanks so much, this would make a great gift.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:29 am

Good question & I thought I had addressed it within the post and sort of did in places but updated the post in the recipe section, under notes, about storage. Your mileage will vary and your comfort levels, but for me, many, many weeks – at least a month (but it will be devoured FAR before that!)

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — July 3, 2012 at 6:26 am

I’ve thought about making homemade peanut butter several times, but I’ve never actually done it. I’m glad to see that someone has! I might just do it this summer with my kids!

Margaret M. — July 3, 2012 at 6:34 am

I didn’t know it will just take you 5 mins to make your homemade peanut butter. I love peanut butter and I would really love to try and make this one at home. This is gonna be amazing especially adding your own flavor to it. This is great. Thanks for sharing this Averie.

jackie @ marin mama cooks — July 3, 2012 at 6:40 am

So funny that you made homemade peanut butter. That is on my to do list. My girlfriend just whipped up a batch the other day and inspired me to do so. Now you have inspired me as well. She made hers in the vitamix. The reason I abstain from most natural peanut butters’ is due to the oil and the separation. I hate trying to combine the two together. It’s a messy process that doesn’t really taste that great. I am trying to like the healthier peanut butters, but I find I have to glop on jelly in order to enjoy them. I am still a fan of Jiff and I know it’s terrible because its full of “who knows what” and tons of sugar. Anyway, this looks so easy and it could even be a job for Eli (which he would love). Maybe it would help my kids to like peanut butter and jelly a bit more.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:17 am

“It’s a messy process that doesn’t really taste that great” — exactly. That is what I was trying to say in the post. An oil slick and a dry blob that doesn’t want to ever really re-accept the oil or if it does, it’s a lot of stirring and elbow grease.

People freak out about so many things and try to say they are so “unhealthy” and sure it’s healthier to make your own, but even Jif…dare I say with “all” the chemicals and “all” the sugar, is still far healthier than eating just about anything most of mainstream America will be eating at their 4th of July bbq’s :)

• jackie @ marin mama cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 10:10 am

Hi Averie. I wanted to let you know that I received your reply in my inbox, so it seems to be working now.

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — July 3, 2012 at 6:59 am

Yum. I’ve recently only “rediscovered” a love for peanut butter. Can you believe I used to dislike it? Maybe because I didn’t have spoonful after tempting spoonful of this AMAZING homemade version? Honey roasted peanut butter–I die.

Kelli@kellird.com — July 3, 2012 at 7:00 am

Honey Roasted Peanut Butter, are you kidding?!?!? How do you keep from eating the whole jar?Sounds heavenly! Now I want to make your 3-ingredient pb cookies with honey roasted pb! Yum!

I agree with you Jiff creamy is the best peanut butter for baking! I use Trader Joes natural pb for eating and Jiff for baking.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:14 am

We polished off that jar along with (a little) help from Scott and Skylar in like 2 days. I justified it that it was “only” a 16 oz bag of nuts split 3 ways :)

I have made my 3 ingred PB cookies with storebought honey roasted PB; so good. I just worry that this natural/homemade PB is going to create too much runniness in them since there is no flour to bind them and even in other cookies with flour, I still feel it will yield a really flat/thin cookie.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — July 3, 2012 at 7:22 am

Ohhhhhh hoohohohoh, YES.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 3, 2012 at 7:30 am

I got a food processor for Christmas but haven’t used it yet. I think that this will be the first thing that I make!!! I just need to find a jar now …

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:12 am

Just put it in a plastic container or any little bowl and cover with plastic wrap…go get to work :)

Katie — July 3, 2012 at 7:40 am

Tell me you put Baily’s in there. Please?

I don’t make my own pb, because I don’t have a food processor. I don’t care to either, because I can get the freshly ground stuff at the store for the same amount of time. Yeah, its more $$, but my time is money. And I’m lazy. ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:11 am

This is one situation where a food proc definitely trumps the Vita. In a food proc, it’s effortless. In a Vita, you could blow a motor if you’re not careful and really watch it (I’ve watched youtube videos of it and although theoretically possible, not entirely comforting to watch)

Baileys, so good :)

Kris — July 3, 2012 at 7:45 am

I am so with you about the chocolate. so disappointing when it’s waxy and not flavorful…

I can’t remember the last time I bought it, because I make my own nut butter all the time (Basil still has his own jar, too). I don’t have links, never shared, but yes, I have added all kinds of flavorings (the one we made last week was chai sunflower seed).

oh, wait! one of the best nut butters I’ve made, my marcona butter: http://spabettie.com/2011/09/09/marcona-almond-butter/

oh, um, never mind, I guess I have shared some… I also made a chai pecan butter:

:D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:09 am

I wanted to name drop a few mainstream American chocolate brands that taste like granular wax but refrained :)

Those nut butters sound delish!

• Anna replied: — April 3rd, 2013 at 7:20 am

Years ago I was friends with the president of Mars. The candy company, not the planet. He said that in America wax is added to many chocolates because Americans prefer that texture. Ever since then, not being a “typical” American, I’ve been buying European chocolate. So, the waxy texture is no accident!

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — July 3, 2012 at 7:46 am

No, I don’t make peanut butter, or anything with peanuts, we just don’t get it’s taste, even teenager doesn’t like it. I don’t even make the recipe if it calls for peanuts ot peanut butter. Weird, ha? I know. :) But I do make cashew, walnut and sunflower seed butter, mmmm, heavenly good, but dangerous: I can eat a whole jar at once!
    And even though I don’t like peanut anything, I love your photos, those cute little (Italian?) jars, presentation, and crisp images (can I say it about photos? I guess I can if I like it, right…) :) Have a good day Averie! :)

• Erina Ikuta replied: — April 1st, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Tell me you don’t like Pad Thai.

lynn @ the actor's diet — July 3, 2012 at 8:08 am

why have i never made pb before myself? i’m excited for your epic giveaway!

Cassie — July 3, 2012 at 8:16 am

I adore making homemade PB, and any nut butter for that matter. So much better to make things like this at home. And usually cheaper too!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:08 am

Glad you’re on the homemade bandwagon, to…yes…to better and usually cheaper!

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan — July 3, 2012 at 8:21 am

Last summer I made about 60 jars of homemade white chocolate peanut butter to sell at Vida Vegan Con. They were a HUGE hit, but I was so burned out by the process that I haven’t made PB at home since. Time to get back to it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 9:07 am

60 jars?!! I also seem to recall you telling me when I was going thru my pepper jelly canning phase that you canned like 50 jars of it (or of some jelly) and were literally pulling out jars from 2005 or similar. But regardless, that white choc PB sounds great and if you have a link to it, LMK!

Kelly — July 3, 2012 at 9:21 am

Ohh my that might just be the best looking peanut butter I’ve ever seen! And I just adore that little jar, cute! :)

Amber K — July 3, 2012 at 10:45 am

I have made my own nut butter, but it never seemed to get as smooth as I like it. I kept processing it and processing it some more and there always seemed to be a bit of grit. My favorite store-bought pb is the dark chocolate dreams from PB&Co. Sooo good!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:42 pm

It could have to do with your machine or maybe the peanuts themselves..this got pretty darn smooth!

• Amber K replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I’ll have to give it another try!

Taylor — July 3, 2012 at 11:03 am

Oh my gosh, I’ve made this peanut butter before. It.is.AMAZING. Hands down the best peanut butter you will ever eat, when made with honey roasted peanuts. So, so good.

Donna @ The Slow Roasted Italian — July 3, 2012 at 11:17 am

I really love nut butters, I have always added oil to mine. I am thinking of trying it without now. Thanks Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:41 pm

LMK if you try it without and what, if anything, you notice as the difference.

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — July 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

It’s pretty impressive that the food processor can do all that just with peanuts! I really do have to get my hands on a good quality processor.

Laura @ GotChocolate — July 3, 2012 at 11:19 am

I never would have thought to make peanut butter with honey roasted peanuts! Clever! Oh what I could do with this recipe AND chocolate! Mmmm…

Have a great day! :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Yes for sure – either melted choc or cocoa powder, depending on what you want to do to the consistency….so much fun to play around.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — July 3, 2012 at 11:45 am

I think there is something about freshly-pressed natural peanut butter that makes it not separate. Because my all-natural smuckers separates like crazy while the freshly-pressed does not. It must mean that the natural smucker’s sits around a while before it is in my tummy!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I’ve noticed that even the “Natural” Skippy separates a tiny bit. Nothing like Marantha or some of the higher end natural varieties but interesting that your fresh-pressed homemade doesn’t separate either.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I love that this doesn’t separate! And flavor with Baileys?! Mind blown!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Thanks – and yes, adult flavored AND that doesn’t separate…I am so happy :)

Elana — July 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

This is how we have been making peanut butter for years, it works in the Vita also but it tends to over heat it so you have to be careful. Its the best!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Yes, I’ve tried in my Vita and you have to be super careful…that hot, almost overheating the machine, really intense sound it makes right before it goes into emergency shutoff…scares me! So I don’t make them in the Vita. Love that machine, but not for this.

Heather — July 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Yum! Looks fantastic!

Denise — July 3, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I’ve been reading you for quite a while and I love the way your photography gets better and better. The pictures were beautiful to start, but now they’re just too gorgeous!!! It must be a combination of other lenses/camera and more and more technique and experience I assume, but I just wanted to let you know I really admire it:)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Thanks, Denise, that’s the nicest comment! The camera body was upgraded a year ago (so for the last 14 mos or so, no change on that). I did buy a new 50mm lens about 2 mos ago and alternate between my 24-70mm & the new 50. However, many in this post were taken with the 24-70. I got a new table and it’s closer to my light source and that’s really helping, too. And new Lightroom 4 upgraded from 3. And PRACTICE!! That’s the most important thing :)

ally — July 3, 2012 at 2:46 pm

who knew it was so easy! i can’t wait to try this. goodbye to store bought pb forever!
    xo

Paula — July 3, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I’ve made my own nut butters for years. I used to do it in the vita but the food processor is so much easier! My staples are PB, almond-cashew, or macadamia-cashew. I have also just thrown in other random mixes and they all turn out good. I’ve never had to add oil either when using the food processor. Love your ideas for add-ins–liqueur sounds very interesting. Have a relaxing 4th of July!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 3rd, 2012 at 5:42 pm

It’s hard to go wrong, isn’t it…when we’re talking homemade nut butters.

Jenna@LittleKitchenBigFlavors — July 3, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Wow I wish I would have known it was this easy, I would have been making peanut butter from scratch a long time ago! I love controlling ingredients in every day food items such as peanut butter, I can’t wait to try this!

Colleen — July 3, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Fantastic idea, and so easy! When I was little I used to only eat Skippy (being the very picky eater I was), but a few years ago switched to Crazy Richard’s Peanut Butter along with the rest of my family. The only ingredient is peanuts and it is heavenly!

Nutmeg Nanny — July 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I love homemade peanut butter! Now I want to make some and throw in some melted chocolate. Mmmmm chocolate peanut butter. That would be slammin’ on some apple slices!

1 2 3 5