Homemade Peanut Butter

Once you make peanut butter at home, it will be very difficult to get excited about storebought peanut butter ever again.

Not that eating peanut butter of any kind would ever be a chore because I love it so, but homemade peanut butter is a delicacy. And a nearly effortless delicacy at that.

Homemade Peanut Butter - A bag of peanuts and 5 minutes is all you need to make your own PB! Once you try homemade, you'll never be satisfied with storebought!

It’s akin to savoring a piece of high-end dark chocolate that’s rich and pure, uncomplicated by fillers, additives, or ingredients that have no place being in chocolate; and then grabbing a milk chocolate bar in the checkout line at the grocery store, which is likely a combination of tasteless, grainy, and waxy.

Apples and oranges. Store-bought peanut butter versus homemade.

Once you have something amazing, it’s hard to get excited about any less than.

That’s this peanut butter.

Sure, all peanut butter is good, and some is better than others, but this is in its own league.

It’s similar in taste to store-bought varieties of “natural” peanut butter. It tastes like real peanuts and nothing else.

At room temperature, it’s similar in consistency to a stir-free natural peanut butter, thicker than almond butter, but thinner than conventional Jif or Skippy.

I store my homemade peanut butter in an airtight container in the refrigerator and although I could keep it at room temperature, I’m sure it will keep longer being refrigerated and I prefer my peanut butter on the thicker side. Storing it in the fridge helps it to stay thicker and less runny, especially since my house is warmer now during the summer.

Honestly, there’s not that much to store. Every time I open the fridge, I see the jar staring at me.

And it calls my name.

Interestingly, my peanut butter has turned out to be “stir-free”.

It has not separated into oil and a solid mass, which is something I detest about natural peanut butters; the oil slick on top and that stubborn dry blob on the bottom that never really wants to re-accept the oil.

Find a food processor and a spoon.

This is crazy good.

The whole process takes less than 5 minutes.

Here’s a step-by-step breakdown (a literal breakdown)

16 ounce bag or jar of peanuts (use honey roasted, plain, salted, unsalted, or try a jar of mixed nuts)

Add peanuts to the canister of the food processor

No oil, no salt, just peanuts

Turn it on and watch it go

Wheeee!

There peanuts go through various stages in the approximately five minutes it takes to go from peanuts to peanut butter:

crushed peanuts

crushed into a fine powder

a paste

a thicker paste

and a big peanut butter “dough ball” will form

And then the big ball will magically break down

And turn into a gritty peanut butter

Keep processing and the peanut butter will get smoother, creamier, and thin out

No oil was ever added at any point during processing – just the natural oils from the peanuts are being released

Keep processing until you’re certain the peanut butter is smooth enough for your liking, another minute or so

I like my peanut butter very smooth, like buttah

The peanut butter is a little on the thinner and runnier side immediately post-processing because it’s warmed from the motor – similar in thickness to store-bought almond butter

After refrigeration, it thickens up a bit

As suggested in the recipe section, flavor your peanut butter with anything you want from vanilla or coffee extract

To cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice or cocoa powder

To spicy or savory, which is great for 2-minute peanut sauce (vegan, GF)

Or add some adult-version flavorings

This is your peanut butter. Get creative.

No, wait, this is my peanut butter.

And I’m not sharing.

Print Print Recipe

Homemade Peanut Butter

Once you try homemade peanut butter, you'll never want store-bought again. It comes together in mere minutes in a food processor and is better than any peanut butter you've ever tried before. Try it and you'll be hooked! Recipe is naturally gluten-free. Swap honey roasted peanuts for plain roasted peanuts to keep vegan.

Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

16 ounces honey roasted peanuts

Directions:

Add peanuts to the canister of a food processor, process on high power until creamy and smooth, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides of the canister if necessary.

The peanuts will go through stages of: crushed, crushed into a fine powder, a paste, a thicker paste, a big "dough ball", and then the ball will break down into runnier peanut butter. At the point the peanut butter is runny, continue processing for about 1 more minute, making sure the peanut butter is as smooth as desired.

If it wasn't for taking pictures, in my food processor, it takes about 4 minutes and I did not need to scrape down the sides; there was very little splatter.

Store the peanut butter at room temperature where it will keep for at least 2 weeks, or store in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator, where it keeps for many weeks, and I've stored it for months. As with any food that has no preservatives, use common sense.

Substitutions and Flavoring Suggestions

Substitute dry roasted, salted, or unsalted peanuts, mixed nuts, seasoned, or spicy nuts; I do not suggest raw nuts because they don't have enough flavor depth for me but theoretically they will "work", just a matter of taste preference.

Salt, to taste (I added none)

Peanut oil, canola oil, and I have also seen olive oil suggested, optional and only if necessary (I added none and although the paste is thick in the early to mid stages of blending causing one to ponder if oil is necessary, once you get past that stage, you'll be glad to have not added oil because the finished peanut butter is already on the thinner side and the robust peanut flavor is not diluted by oil)

Seasonings or flavorings to try and add in the final moments of processing and process until incorporated: cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cardamom, brown sugar, vanilla extract, coffee extract, specialty oils and extracts from LorAnn, a pinch of cayenne or chili powder or savory spices, cocoa powder, chocolate/white chocolate/butterscotch/peanut butter chips and just pulse to incorporate; a handful of peanuts just pulsed to incorporate at the very end of processing to create a chunky-textured peanut butter. Add egg-less cookie dough chunks, dried fruits like raisins or dates; a splash of Baileys Irish Cream, Kahlua, Frangelico, Chambord, Godiva Liqueur; have fun with it.

If you're unsure how a flavoring will turn out, I suggest removing half the peanut butter or two-thirds of it, placing it in another container, and flavor a smaller portion, to taste, before flavoring the entire batch with one particular seasoning or flavor. Or get two or three flavors from one recipe based on how inspired you are.

Make sure to also check out

Honey Roasted Butterscotch White Chocolate Peanut Butter (GF)

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter (vegan, GF)

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter (vegan, GF)

Related Recipes

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter – (vegan, GF) –  Easy and make in 10 minutes. NO added sugar or oil. Very chocolaty & great for curing bad days!

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter in 10 Minutes (Vegan, GF) averiecooks.com

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter (vegan, GF options) – A homemade spin on Cookie Butter or Biscoff Spread, made by blending peanuts with gingersnap cookies and cinnamon, which gives the spread a slightly gritty texture, similar to storebought

Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Chocolate Coconut Cashew Butter (vegan, GF)

Peanut Noodles with Mixed Vegetables and Peanut Sauce (vegan, GF, soy-free) – The peanut sauce comes together in two minutes and the whole thing is a 5 minute meal

Here are 35 Recipes for National Peanut Day that all use peanut butter

Here are approximately 50 Peanut Butter recipes I’ve made and posted about over the years

Here are 20 peanut butter recipes for National Peanut Butter Day

Here’s an Peanut Butter Brand Comparison

I wrote a cookbook about peanut butter, 100 recipes that all contain peanut butter – My Cookbook: Peanut Butter Comfort

Included are 25+ recipes for homemade peanut butter variations

Peanut Butter Comfort: Recipes for Breakfasts, Brownies, Cakes, Cookies, Candies, and Frozen Treats Featuring America's Favorite Spread

Thanks to everyone who’s told me you’ve preordeded the book!

Have you ever made your own nut butter?

Recipe links welcome and I would love to hear your method and results.

Do you have a favorite peanut butter?

I love peanut butter in all ways, shapes, and sizes. I especially like honey-roasted peanut butter because it’s naturally sweeter. For baking and cooking, I typically use Jif Creamy. For baking, especially cookies, I plan to stick with store-bought peanut butter  because cookies are temperamental. Given that homemade peanut butter is thinner than store-bought, and because I don’t like flat cookies, I use the conventional.

For bars or other desserts that call for peanut butter with a recipe, sure, homemade would be lovely but honestly, the taste is going to be masked from a combination of butter, sugar, flour, eggs, and then it’s baked, which is the main reason I bake with whatever peanut butter is on sale. I save the fancy peanut butters for when I can really focus on every pure, unadulterated, peanut butter bite and not “waste” a high end peanut butter inside a recipe.

522 Responses to “Homemade Peanut Butter”

Jessica — August 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

You do realize that the ingredients for Trader Joe’s Honey Roasted Peanuts are – Peanuts, Sugar, Honey, Vegetable Oil (peanut and/or sunflower seed), Salt, Modified Food Starch (potato), Maltodextrin (corn), Xanthan Gum. So, there is oil, sugar and other products, right? I personally would rather add my own and know how much is being added.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 11:43 am

Right – I happened to use honey roasted peanuts from the store (rather than making my own) but one could use any sort of peanut she wishes, plain, dry roasted, unsalted, homemade honey roasted peanuts, peanuts covered in Cajun seasoning, or whatever floats her boat to make PB with. I just happen to like honey roasted peanuts and honey roasted peanut butter and don’t feel the need to roast and make my own peanuts AND then make my own peanut butter. There are limits :)

Kathie — August 13, 2012 at 9:53 am

I can’t believe that’s all there is to it! I cannot wait to do this! I don’t have a food processor (I will have to borrow one). I am sure my regular mixer won’t do it. Thank you so much for sharing this. Now, I don’t have to worry about all of the extra yucky stuff!

Marie @ Substance of Living — August 16, 2012 at 6:42 am

Averie,

Thank you for sharing this simple recipe. Your photos were great and my peanut butter looked just like you said during each stage. I separated my batch and added a little chambord liqueur and WOW! I’m now spoiled and no more grinding my own at the store anymore.

I’m thinking about making a jar of peanut butter and jelly like the Goobers brand. That just sounds like too much fun and makes quick picnics or trips on the road fast and easy. Spoon and a jar. :-)

Marie

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 16th, 2012 at 6:53 am

Glad you liked it, tried it, that all your stages looked like mine and that you added chambord – oh I am a huge fan of it in champagne – and why not in PB! Great idea!

Tina Smith — August 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I just made this tonight and I will make it again and again! I never realized how easy it was to make peanut butter and I wonder why I ever had store bought!!! No added chemicals, cheap, easy….wow! Thank you so much for posting this!!! I’ll never buy peanut butter again!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 19th, 2012 at 4:47 pm

So glad it was a big hit and that a door has been unlocked for you :) Enjoy your homemade PB and yes, not having to buy PB is pretty cool, right!

Shautel — August 20, 2012 at 11:27 am

I love Trader Joes honey roasted peanuts. I will definitely try this when we run out of our peanut butter.

Alli — August 22, 2012 at 7:01 am

I’ve been loving making this!! I’ve made it several times and it’s a hit with my family! One question, though, (I’ve tried to sort through the comments to see if my question has already been asked and I don’t see it) how do you/would you incorporate honey? I don’t want to use honey roasted peanuts, but every time I add honey at any point in the process, it completely changes the consistency. Thoughts?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 22nd, 2012 at 7:10 am

I would add it at the very end after you’re done processing it. Take a half-cup out or smaller amount out of the machine and put it in a bowl and add honey, to taste, and stir. See how that works and what kind of consistency you end up with and that way you’ve only trialed a small amount, not a huge one. LMK what you end up doing & how things pan out!

Kayla — August 24, 2012 at 9:29 am

This sounds wonderful!! I can’t believe it’s that easy, and I can’t wait to try it!

Sarah — August 26, 2012 at 12:32 pm

So I just made my first batch of homemade peanut butter. I love peanuts, peanut butter, and anything remotely related to them. I had a bit of a flop this time. I used about 1/2 a jar of honey roasted nuts – I didn’t wan’t to ruin the whole jar if I didn’t like it! I loved the pictures to help me see each step through the way. I got to the yummy, creamy, dreamy part and decided it was time to add my seasonings. There’s nothing I love more than honey and peanut butter so why not combine them BEFORE I eat it? It’d be a lot less messy for sure! Anyway, apparently the honey did something ugly to the lovely mess in my food processor. As I mixed in the honey, it seemed to dry out and end up much more like the “sticky ball” stage. No matter how much more I mixed it, it just would not “cream” again. It tasted good and was smooth but just not creamy. It’s a crumbly lump. I tossed it in a jar and will use it up but I’m not sure what happened. Any ideas?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 26th, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Honey is hard to work with for this exact reason – it’s sticky, tacky, and gloms everything up, to be blunt. I find that honey is best stirred in by hand, at the very, very end. Fill a jar with PB half way up, add a little bit of honey, stir. See how far you can take that before it gloms up on you. Otherwise, just make a layer of PB and a layer of honey on whatever you’re eating, old school. Or just use honey roasted peanuts to start with, which is what I do and why I don’t bother with real honey due to exactly what you describe. Keep me posted on future trials…

Olivia — August 28, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I thought I’d let you know the peanut butter doesn’t hear up from the engine in the processor it’s actuall cause by the molecules in the peanuts rubbing against each other while spinning so it causes a friction heat.

Sarah — September 1, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I can’t wait to try this!! If my family likes crunchy peanut butter when would be a good time to add some peanut chunks? Thanks :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 1st, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Process it fully and once it’s smooth, take about 1 cup peanuts, give or take, and just pulse to incorporate. Use more or less depending on how many chunks you want and how thick you want it…just play around with that AFTER you get to the smooth consistency is my advice.

amanda — September 12, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to try it!

Amanda — September 13, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I tried this, and I do not recommend it with a smaller food processor. For the past several days I have been attempting to turn a small batch of peanuts into anything resembling the beautiful pictures on this blog, 5 minutes at a time, because anything longer makes me fear the thing will just burn out. For all the wear and tear I’m putting on the blades and the motor, the peanut butter does not seem willing to go past a crumbly “dough ball” stage. This resembles the crushed peanuts one would find on pad thai.

I guess I will have to purchase my peanut butter already made, for the time being. :(

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 13th, 2012 at 6:46 pm

There’s the Ninja brand of food proc that I’ve been told is available at Walmart for in the $50 range or any $99 food proc will do the job. I know it sounds like a lot $$ but you will get your money’s worth with other things, too! Or check ebay, craigslist or your local thrift store…you may find one for $5 bucks! I see them all the time in San Diego for dirt cheap on CL!

• Kelly replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 10:08 am

I have the $99 ninja one and it’s NOT working!!!

• Kelly replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 10:10 am

The problem with mine is it’s getting so impacted on the bottom, and going up on the sides. And the blades are too far away from the shreds of peanuts. and all it’s doing is heating the bottom and flinging the blades around going no where.. I keep pushing it all down, and even took it out and put in a bowl and broke it up… added Olive Oil… got no where. Now the question is, WHAT do i do with 20 oz of mashed peanuts???!!!

Jazmine — September 24, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Like many other comments, I also cannot believe I haven’t done this before. So easy to do. My tiny food processor smelled like it was about to burn out. I only needed to do it for 2 minutes anyway and it was good. I like a little crunch to mine anyway. I immediately made a PB&J sandwich. Thanks :)

Kathy — September 30, 2012 at 2:19 am

Thanks for posting this. It never occurred to me that making peanut butter would be so easy…delicious too!

Candice — October 5, 2012 at 10:50 am

Thanks for the recipe!! Sending some love from pinterest :)

Natalie — October 6, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I’ve made my own pb and almond butter often and LOVE it! so much better than what I buy, but it’s more expensive! the honey peanuts sound really yummy!

Kate @ diethood — October 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm

That looks so nice and creamy! I’ve always used plain unsalted peanuts for my homemade pb, but I like your idea way better. Next time I am going to use honey roasted peanuts.

Nina — October 10, 2012 at 9:55 am

Your pictures blew my mind, and it seems so good-to-be-true easy! Is it really?? I bought a 4oz pack just to try it out… if it works I’ll make me a big jar!! Question, this peanuts I bought are plain, no shells and no salt added. Will that work by itself or should I add just a bit of salt?
    Thanks in advance!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 10th, 2012 at 10:40 am

You may want to add some salt but blend it all up first, taste it, then add salt, to taste. Enjoy!

Bernie — October 10, 2012 at 7:20 pm

could you preserve the PB longer in jars sealed with a vacuem sealer? ready to do this I anned for the first time this year and have 165 jars so far.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 10th, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I am really not familiar with vacuum sealers so I really don’t know what to say. It’s so easy to make fresh, as in 5 minutes, I never worry about making more than 1-2 weeks worth at one time.

Bernie — October 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I have not returned due to the strict payment required.I would only be able to pay monthly oe bi-weekly not weekly as I need a lot of work done. However I do like the staff and Dr. Bella.

Melissa — October 15, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Okay first this looks AMAZING!!! I cannot wait to try.

2nd I have two questions and I’m sorry if this was answered in the comments above but I got tired of reading them all!
    1 – have you tried using this PB in baking recipes — i.e. PB cookies? Those are my absolute favorite and I really don’t make them very often, but oh boy with homemade PB I just might take that up :)
    2 – I actually LOVE LOVE LOVE crunchy peanut butters — after a run I often have a couple tablespoons of crunchy PB smeared on sliced banana or apples. My thought was that I would make, as directed and then add in more peanuts at the mix in stage just to crunch them up a bit…thoughts? I know you said you love it smooth…but I’m all about textures and LOVE crunchy and smooth for different reasons and I keep stock of both in my house at all times!! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 15th, 2012 at 10:46 pm

1. see this post http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2012/08/peanut-butter-comparison.html it covers in depth why I don’t bake with homemade PB. From the taste being masked to in some recipes good ole hydrogenated oils are necessary for structure/stability, i.e. flourless PB cookies I find are much more solid and just better all the way around with a Skippy or a Jif type PB. I use homemade for eating straight up. Read that post. Very explicit.

2. Make as directed and then in the final 30 secs, add a handful of peanuts and just pulse. Once you get at it, you’ll see it’s very easy to leave it with texture; not as easy to get it smooth. So if you like texture, you’ve got it easy!

Flavia Machioni — October 26, 2012 at 11:54 am

Averie I just loved your blog. I’m brazilian and lactose intolerant, I have a blog with recipes about it.
    I hope you don’t mind but I’m using your recipe and pictures for the peanut butter.
    All linked to here, of course!!!
    keep up with your amazing work.
    love, Flavia.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 26th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I’m really glad you like my blog, recipes, and photos. If you could make sure to link back to my post if you enjoy my recipe, that is appreciated.

marie b — October 27, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hi Averie, I just found your lovely site from Hoosier Homemade. I can’t wait to try this peanut butter, and I think the pumpkins spice, this time of year would be great. Could you tell me what kind and where you got, that cute jar, your peanut butter is in? Thanks, I”ll be visiting again, Marie (Windsor, Ontario Canada)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 27th, 2012 at 8:16 pm

It was a decorative glass canning jar that I got years ago at I believe Crate & Barrel. Thanks for saying hi!

• marie b replied: — October 27th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

thanks, so much…I think they will make cute holiday gifts, this year. Does the peanut butter need any refrigeration?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 27th, 2012 at 9:56 pm

To each her own, I don’t think it’s necessary; that said, you may want to if you like a firmer nut butter but if you like warmer, room temp butter – then no. It’s personal preference.

macgamesandmore.com — November 11, 2012 at 4:02 am

I could eat peanut butter every day but don’t because I’d become enormous! I am so happy you posted this simple yet absolutely yummy DIY. Many people just don’t bother because they are seriously lazy people. i know this because I was a seriously lazy person and in the past, I would rather have bought the industrial peanut butter instead of this much more healthful version. Once I began doing my own food preparations, it just got easier and easier, so I hope your readers will be inspired by you and start DIYing (if they haven’t yet) and will soon realize that doing this kind of thing is easy, takes very little time (really, compared to driving to the market buying your peanut butter!) and they’ll realize that it’s ultimately rewarding AND cute especially with your adorable canning jar.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 11th, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m glad you enjoy making your own now too have started DIYing! So much more rewarding and tastes better – you’re right!

Molly — November 11, 2012 at 8:06 am

You’re on lifehacker today!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 11th, 2012 at 9:52 am

Yes, I know! All of a sudden this post got popular again :) Thanks for LMK!

janita smith — November 11, 2012 at 7:14 pm

this was DELICIOUS and came out exactly right on the first try in even less time, with my junky blender! we did a slightly chocolate batch and a white chocolate batch and it was to die for. kids asked for it for dessert every night until it was gone!!! never going back. thank you! i love so much of your stuff. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 11th, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I am so glad that you loved it and that your kids did, too, and that you had success! Thanks for reading and for the feedback and for trying your own homemade PB!

Herbivore Triathlete — November 14, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Mmm, peanut butter! I have all kinds of nut butters in my fridge and cupboards! My current favorite is cashew butter!

Lara — November 15, 2012 at 7:53 am

I tried this recipe last night and I am SO delighted with the results!!! Now I am going to graduate to almond, hazelnut (my current fave NB) and definitely some of this white choc pb that I keep seeing in the comments. This has saved me soo much money and inconvenience. I love your easy recipes especially simple homemade stuff like this, the mustard, the vanilla extract and I really love your old healthier recipes pls do more like those good oldies from time to time!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 15th, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’m glad you tried it and loved it! I try to showcase a variety of all types of recipes and ideas, something for everyone so to speak. Glad this was a winner for you!

Tammi — November 27, 2012 at 9:21 am

Looks like a great recipe, will have to try this! I have an older Black and Decker food processor, has anyone complained that processing the nuts is too much for their machine to handle?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 27th, 2012 at 10:54 am

I haven’t heard of anyone having any issues – I think you’ll be fine but LMK how it goes!

~amy~ — December 2, 2012 at 4:27 am

seriously, who doesn’t love peanut butter…looks fab.

Holly — December 5, 2012 at 9:06 am

I thought this was just one of those too good to be true pinterest find (like every mug cake I’ve ever tried), but I just made some and it is unbelievable!! I can’t wait to try new varieties :). Thanks so much for the idea!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 5th, 2012 at 9:38 am

No it really is true and glad you tried it and thanks for reporting back! My latest favorite is a splash of vanilla extract with white chocolate chips – mmmm, so good!

ber66 — December 9, 2012 at 7:59 am

Unfortunatly i have only Bosch Blender with shredder like this http://content.mixelectronics.pl/Produkty_Obrazki/blender-bosch-msm6300-507-100000-2687-M0-M.jpg
    I was blending honey peanuts for abaout 7 minutes. In result i had very dense and dry paste.
    Is it possible i blended to long and this is why i get consistency like that ?
    I added a little honey and blend some more, but it didn’t help.

Greets from Poland :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 9th, 2012 at 8:01 am

Adding honey will make the thick/dense situation even worse – making it more tacky, sticky and hard to blend. If after 7 minutes you still had a dense and dry paste, it could be your blender, your peanuts could be very dry, or you may need to try a bit of oil to help things glide along.

ber66 — December 9, 2012 at 8:18 am

True, True. Thanks for quick answer. It probably the peanuts are too dry. Blender seems to work just fine in proper amount of nuts. I’ll try add some banana. I’ve read that could help too or just some oil.

Liz at Willowbrook — December 14, 2012 at 6:03 am

I am definitely trying this peanut butter recipe this weekend! Peanuts are such a good source of energy and enjoying them without additives like this makes them seem healthier.

Debi — December 28, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I’ve been buying 2 jars of sunflower seed butter a week to make granola bars. Why hadn’t I thought to make my own?? So simple!! I’ll be starting right away!!! THANK YOU!!!

Ashley — January 8, 2013 at 6:47 pm

My pb tastes fantastic, but it is very thick and not very spreadable! Did I let it process too long? Or not long enough?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 8th, 2013 at 6:56 pm

My post tomorrow is about nut butter – ironic you’re writing! Very thick & not spreadable, I would say you didn’t process long enough. You want it to be very liquid-ey in the canister. If it’s not, you didn’t process long enough, or your nuts were not very oily (peanuts do vary in oil content to a minor degree). I would put the whole thing back into the food proc, reprocess for at least 3-5 mins and if you feel it would, a tiny tiny bit of canola/vegetable oil. Tiny. And NO honey or syrups. That will make it worse. Report back what you try!

Alexandra @ Creative Simple Life — January 16, 2013 at 10:48 am

I love all of your recipe suggestions! I recently made my own peanut butter for the first time and I think it’s the best I’ve ever had. If you’d like to check it out, here’s the link: http://www.creativesimplelife.com/peanut-butter-from-scratch/
    Thanks for this recipe!

Janine — January 19, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I made this with my 8 yr old daughter this evening. She was fascinated by watching the peanuts transform. It tastes delicious!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 19th, 2013 at 7:57 pm

My almost 6 year old loves watching it too! But she screams at me MOM IT’S SO LOUD IN HERE! :) I am so glad you made it and are enjoying it!

Moleigh — January 23, 2013 at 6:04 pm

So simple! I cannot wait to try this :)

Wanna-be Molly — January 23, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I just found a sale on peanuts (the big coffee can size peanut cans for $6.99) and knew I had to finally give it a whirl! I am so sold it’s not even funny! I calculated out that I should get about 5 1/4 c. of peanut butter according to your recipe estimations which is around a cup more than one would get in the large 40oz store bought jar and won’t cost me any more PLUS i have no trans-fat, no sugar ( I used plain peanuts) and way better taste! I am in love! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 23rd, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I am so glad that it’s a hit for you, on all levels…from taste to money savings to controlling the ingredients..and most of all..taste! I just love it and for eating on toast, off the back of a spoon :) It’s really the best thing ever, right! Thanks for the feedback and glad you love it as much as I do!

marla — January 26, 2013 at 5:11 am

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Jaclyn — January 26, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Averie – I LOVE the idea to use honey roasted peanuts it sounds awesome! Thanks for the idea!

Monica — January 27, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Just tried this and it works awesome!! I don’t think I will ever be able to go back to store bought!

Tiffany — January 31, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Wow I am so excited about this website I have not seen a recipe that I do not want to try amazing thank you so much.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 31st, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Thanks, Tiffany! I am so glad you love my site & recipes!

Diana Lambert — February 6, 2013 at 8:25 am

Thank you for opening my eyes to homemade peanut butter! I made it last night and at first I was skeptical if it actually would work….but it did and it tastes amazing!! Thank you!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 6th, 2013 at 9:29 am

So glad that you tried it, it worked, and now you’re a believer :) Thanks for coming back to tell me!

Debbie — February 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I am allergic to peanuts but I bet this would work with cashews too. I’m certainly going to try it sometime. I buy Sunflower butter since I can’t have peanuts and that is good too. I’m going to have to try both of these flavors.

Britney — February 12, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I am a peanut butter fanatic! I just bout a food processor a few weeks ago and i saw this recipe on pinterest so I had to try this. As I was making it, I told my roommates I would share it with them…until I tasted it. My goodness it was so good! I took it and hid it in my mini fridge lol. Thanks for the recipe!

Martha B. — February 17, 2013 at 5:59 am

What wonderful idea loving the step by step. Thank you for sharing. ;)

Kathleen Miller — February 17, 2013 at 7:30 am

this looks amazing and easy! Does anyone know how long this is good for?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 17th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Everyone’s ideas are different, but I have personally made and kept it in the refrigerator for months. You could also keep it at room temperature for weeks. There are no preservatives so to each her own but it will last a long time – the shelf life is longer than the practical life, i.e. you will inhale the stuff long before it goes bad :)

Cara — February 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Wow, stunning photos! I found you through Pinterest! I’m curious if anyone had tried adding liquor yet, I don’t drink but wanted to try and make a whiskey version as a gift but have no clue how much to add since even the tiniest whiskey would make me gag. Any tips? And I’m assuming I would hand blend it in at the end, correct?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 17th, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Ive done Baileys and it’s awesome. Maybe about a shot glass worth, 1 ounce or so, at the end. Just blends right in. I can imagine bourbon, rum, brandy and those brown liquors would be great!