Homemade Thin Mints

Thin Mints are those Girl Scout Cookies that I can eat an entire tube of in a sitting.

Oh, you too?

Homemade Thin Mints (no-bake, vegan) - Only 3 ingredients in this spot on copycat version of real Thin Mints! Easy recipe at averiecooks.com

Since my cravings for mint in the middle of the summer continued, I decided to try my hand at a homemade, no-bake, vegan version of Thin Mints.

They should be called Thin Mints Cheater’s Mints. No-bake and so easy.

What’s the catch you’re wondering?

Ritz Crackers

I promise these cookies don’t taste like crackers.

The crackers provide a neutral base layer, nice crunch, and are a dead-ringer in size and shape for what will become cookies.

When they’re drenched in mint-flavored chocolate, you won’t know it’s a cracker or care that it started out as a cracker.

These Thin Mints taste incredibly close to the real thing and take all of 15 minutes to make.

Gather your long list of 3 (or 4)ingredients:

Ritz crackers, which are accidentally vegan

Semi-sweet chocolate chips (and vegetable shortening)

Peppermint extract

Melt the chocolate and shortening. I highly recommend a tablespoon of shortening for any chocolate dipping projects because it keeps the chocolate smooth, viscous, and much less likely to get that hard-before-you-want-it-to and clumpy consistency.

Add peppermint extract to the melted chocolate and get ready to dippity do. As with my last recipe and caveat about peppermint extract, make sure you read my disclaimer in the recipe box below.

Place dipped crackers, which I now think of as cookies, on parchment paper.

Food goes from cracker status to cookie status the minute chocolate is involved.

Wait for the chocolate to solidify and firm up before digging in.

Because of the shortening, it could take a half hour or more at room temperature for the chocolate to solidify, especially if you decide to do this project on an 80 degree day in the middle of summer without running your air.

Pop the tray in the refrigerator or freezer to speed things up. I like them better chilled anyway and store them in the freezer.

The minute I took these out of the freezer, the condensation on the chocolate began. It reminded me of Christmas Crack in Aruba. Nothing you can do when it starts.

It was a hot day in San Diego the day I made these and as the 3pm sun was shining in on my photography table, both me and the cookies began to sweat.

The cool mint was perfect.

Homemade Thin Mints (no-bake, vegan) - Only 3 ingredients in this spot-on copycat version of real Thin Mints!  Ridiculously easy recipe at averiecooks.com

Print Print Save Save

Homemade Thin Mints (no-bake, vegan)

Just 3 ingredients in these Homemade Thin Mints that taste like the real thing, and no one ever guesses what the 'secret ingredient' is. Incredibly easy to make, always a hit at parties, and now you can make your own Thin Mints any time of year and don't have to wait for cookie season!

Yield: about 18 cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: about 1 hour, for cooling

Ingredients:

18 Ritz Crackers ( Ritz are accidentally vegan)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening, optional but recommended
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract* (see notes below)

Directions:

1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or wax paper; set aside. Clear out a spot in your refrigerator or freezer to accommodate baking sheet.
  2. In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening (the shortening helps the chocolate stay smooth when using it for dipping; it prevents that thick and gloppy, chocolate getting hard before you want it to phenomenon) and heat for 1 minute on high power to melt. Stir and heat in 10 to 15 second bursts until chocolate can be stirred very smooth.
  3. To the melted chocolate add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract* and stir. If you prefer it mintier, add another 1/4 teaspoon. I used 3/4 teaspoon in total, but because all brands and taste preferences differ, taste your chocolate and add peppermint to taste. *Note: Mint extract is much, much more potent than vanilla extract; 1 teaspoon of mint extract has an extreme amount of potency compared with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. You cannot un-do mint once added so be very, very careful to not over-do it and end up with a bottle of Listerine-tasting food. There are different kinds of mint extracts available and are labeled as “mint, “peppermint”, “spearmint” and more. For this recipe I used store-brand (Kroger/Ralph’s) “peppermint extract” sold in a small 1 ounce bottle. Select the version of “mint” you think sounds best as not all types are available in all areas.
  4.  Add 1 cracker to the chocolate, coat it, and remove it by lightly scooping it up from the underside with a fork, allowing excess chocolate to drain off through fork tines. Place cracker on parchment and repeat with all remaining crackers. If necessary, re-heat the chocolate in 10 to 15 second bursts if it starts getting too firm for smooth dipping. After all crackers have been dipped, place baking sheet in refrigerator. Although these will solidify at room temperature, the shortening in the chocolate lengthens the amount of time that will take; the fridge or freezer helps speed it up. Store extra Thin Mints in an airtight container in the refrigerator for many weeks. In the freezer, I estimate that these could be kept for 3 to 6 months successfully.

Recipe inspiration from Kraft

Related Recipes (and dusting off a few antiques I had forgotten about)

Mint Recipes:

Creme de Menthe Bars (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Thin Mint Fudge (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Mint Chocolate Coconut Snowballs (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Old-Fashioned Butter Mints (no-bake, GF)

Ritz Recipes:

Ritz-Cracker Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups (no-bake, vegan)

Pink Lemonade Freezer Bars with a Ritz cracker crust and crumble topping (no-bake)

Do you like Thin Mints?

Do you like mint or have any favorite mint recipes?

I am a huge Thin Mints fan and I could eat a tube in a sitting if I let myself, and for that reason, I don’t buy them. Now I have homemade Thin Mints which are maybe a little too easy, if you know what I mean.

Samoas are another weaknesses and I came up with a Samoas Bars recipe, which is reminiscent of those beloved cookies.

Even though many people tend use mint in their holiday baking, I think cool mint is perfect for a hot summer day.

Feel free to link up any mint recipes or recipes with some time-saving or clever shortcuts (like the Ritz cracker trick). I’m all about other recipe shortcuts.

Thanks for the Capresso Espresso and Cappuccino Machine Giveaway entries & have a great week!

284 Responses to “Homemade Thin Mints”

AmandaRunsNY — July 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

This is an awesome recipe…so creative and yet so simple. I love it!

Minerva — July 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Yes, me too! I could definitely eat a box of thin mints solo ;)

Gigi — July 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Averie, I just made these and they’re perfection. I called my husband in to try one and his eyes got wide. He said, “Well, guess we won’t be buying thin mints from the Girl Scouts anymore.”

if only I can stop myself from eating the whole pan, I’ll be all good :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 30th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I am so glad you like them and that they will tide you over til GS Cookie Season – or may replace them all together! Thanks for making them and the field report!

Rachel (teacher-chef) — July 31, 2012 at 6:02 am

Love the crackers (and everything you have here) – thanks for the photos & such :-)

Alicia @ Treble Tart — July 31, 2012 at 8:11 am

I have been on a crazy mint binge lately too! It must be the heat… Anyway, good thing I’m headed to the store soon — these look incredible!!!

Deborah — August 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Seriously – this is dangerous. Very, very dangerous!!

heidi @foodiecrush.com — August 1, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Have a told you lately that YOU ARE BRILLIANT! And any time you need someone to clean your Aruba house, I’m there. XO have a fantastic time!

Ricki — August 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm

What a great idea. And who cares if it’s a cracker or a cookie, as long as it tastes good? ;-) So interesting that the crackers/cookies appear white once they’re coated with chocolate–just like mint! Believe it or not, I’ve never tasted a thin mint (not even sure what it is), but I’m sure I’d like this if I could eat it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 2nd, 2012 at 4:01 pm

You’ve never had a Thin Mint? That’s like saying Ive never breathed air. Lol

But seriously these are so easy and when you slice a Ritz like I did rather than breaking them and it’s a really clean cut, the inside is white. If you break it, you will almost always see peeks of yellow but not if you cut it. For photography, I usually cut rather than break.

Rhi — August 3, 2012 at 4:04 am

What I could sub vegetable shortening with? I don’t want to buy it for one recipe only, as I’m on a restricted budget. I am in Australia. Thanks for the recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 3rd, 2012 at 5:53 am

You don’t have to use it; it will simply help the chocolate stay smoother. If you’ve ever worked with chocolate, you know how it can get a bit sticky/hardened/gloppy before you really want it to? This prevents that; but is not required.

AB — August 3, 2012 at 4:59 am

I followed a link from Pinterest over here, thanks so much for sharing such an easy recipe. I don’t know if Thin Mints (The ones that you get at the Dollar store) are vegan, but when I was little, my mother made a simple Christmas cookie where she laid Ritz Crackers on a cookie sheet and then put a thin mint on each cracker, she put them in a warm oven until just glossy and put a Ritz cracker on top! Those cookies are truly delicious and easy too!

Logan — August 3, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I’m another person who followed a link from Pinterest to here, mainly because I was intrigued that it used Ritz Crackers. And, I must say, it was definitely worth it. I made these tonight. Delicious, and a taste very similar to a Thin Mint. Perfect way to satisfy that craving. I also love that it is a vegan recipe. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 3rd, 2012 at 8:14 pm

thanks for trying them and reporting back – glad they were a success and you liked them!

Holly — August 4, 2012 at 2:01 am

Love those close-up shots on the blue and green plates. What lens did you use for those?

Becky — August 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I am another one who found this recipe on Pinterest. My daughter was skeptical about the crackers, but you were totally right. You’d never guess or care that these cookies started out as crackers. We used Andes Creme de Menthe baking chips since we weren’t worried about them being vegan. Thanks for the recipe.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 6th, 2012 at 1:29 pm

omg andes creme de menthe chips….LOVE those things! The chips or the candies – or how about melting the candies and then dipping crackers in there…mmm, so good! And glad your slight skepticism was proven wrong – you’d never guess or care they started out as crackers :) Thanks for the field report!

Becky — August 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm

That’s exactly what we did, melted the chips and dipped the crackers in. Awesome.

Allison — August 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I was just wondering, could you use peppermint oil instead of extract? and how much would you use?
    great recipe!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 4:35 pm

oils and extracts have different potencies and concentrations and really, you need to play around with it based on your tastes – but yes you “can” use it; but I don’t have a guideline for you since I used extract. Have fun experimenting!

amy — August 8, 2012 at 8:38 pm

just made these!! they were SO easy i love this recipe!

Purple Daisy — August 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Hi- These recipe looks amazing and I wanted to make this for my son who has a milk and egg allergy. However, I saw you used chocolate chips from Trader Joe’s, but on the back of the package it says it may contain traces of milk. Do you know of any other chocolate chip I can use? I looked at a lot of places and all packages say may contain milk or processed on equipment with milk. Thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 10th, 2012 at 12:48 pm

buy certified vegan such as the enjoy life brand if your son is extremely milk sensitive – they *may” contain traces of milk (the TJs ones) but I have heard anecdotally from those who are HIGHLY dairy sensitive that they tolerate the TJs chips just fine but of course, due as you see fit for your son.

• Purple Daisy replied: — August 10th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thank you! He is highly allergic and do not even want to take the chance. I will look into the enjoy life.

• Meagan replied: — November 15th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I know I’m all kinds of late to this thread, but Ghiradelli chocolate chip are dairy free :)

• Amanda W replied: — December 3rd, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Yup, we use Ghiradelli because my daughter has MPI.

Molly — August 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I made these. Holy crap. Mine aren’t pretty, but it doesn’t matter because they’re not going to last long!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Glad they are a success – even if they’re not going to win a beauty contest :) Thanks for trying the recipe & LMK about it!

Aya B. — August 12, 2012 at 7:58 am

This looks super good and creative
    Am definitely going to try it
    I “accidentally” bought 3 big bags of crackers and didn’t know what to do with them
    Thanks

Ashlynne — August 14, 2012 at 4:18 am

The chocolate should be heated in the microwave right?
    Completely forgot about the microwave-safe bowl and heated it over the stove instead, at high heat.
    >.< chocolate was a little burnt cause after a minute the chocolate wasn't smooth yet, so I continued heating it.
    Even then, it still tastes pretty darn good! that burnt taste didn't even bother me that much.lol.
    Thanks for this recipe! This site is sooooo bookmarked :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 14th, 2012 at 6:01 am

Yes you probably burned/scorched the chocolate and it has an absolutely horrid taste once that happens and you would probably need to start over. I melt all my choc in the micro BUT if you prefer the stove, you can. You just have to WATCH it! Good luck on the next round!

Sharon — August 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Made these today – absolutely AWESOME! It’s a keeper for us. Thanks for sharing

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 15th, 2012 at 7:15 pm

So glad to hear it, Sharon! Thanks for reading, making them, and the feedback!

dominique — August 15, 2012 at 8:06 pm

OMG! I just made these and I AM IN HEAVEN!!! Although I did not have vegetable shortening and used butter, i had to put more butter though because the chocolate would not get smooth with just 2 tablespoons. I put almost half a stick in there. That can’t be good for my health (but sooo delicioussss). Next time I’m going to use vegetable shortening! I’m definitely going to be making these ALL THE TIME. Thank you!

• dominique replied: — August 15th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

P.S

mine don’t look as pretty as yours but I’m going to keep trying! :))

P.P.S

The saltiness of the crackers + the chocolate + the mint flavour = HEAVEN.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 15th, 2012 at 8:34 pm

That’s the major difference between butter and shortening – It’s worth just keeping some on hand if you plan to melt/work with melted chocolate a lot. So helpful. And so glad you enjoyed them! Doesn’t matter how they look as much as how they taste :)

Tiffany — August 16, 2012 at 5:57 pm

BRILLIANT! At first I wasn’t sure the Ritz would work, but when I read through I see that these are great. And vegan! Shoot, heaven has arrived in cookie form.

Rachel C — August 17, 2012 at 6:32 am

Ohh! This is a great recipe! And each cookie is only about 55 calories! YUM!

Cat W. — August 18, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Love this idea to make Thin Mints, as I’ve been making fake Tagalongs with club crackers for a few years now (pics and recipe here). One thing–instead of the chocolate chips and shortening, would chocolate almond bark work? I’ve never combined it with an extract before, but that’s what I use to coat my Tagalong things. Not sure if it’s vegan, though, so that may be why it’s not mentioned here? Any thoughts? Your post is the first ever to make me want to buy some peppermint extract though….

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 18th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Almond bark would work, yes. If I say almond bark, that tends to create more confusion with readers than just saying ‘chocolate’. Most people aren’t candy-makers so just using easy terminology & products, i.e. chocolate…. tends to work the best.

susan — August 22, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I love the simplicity of this! I could eat 20 (or 40)!

Angela @ AnotherBitePlease — August 27, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I am so happy I saw this photo on your sidebar. I think I may like quadruple the recipe so I can just use the WHOLE box of ritz crackers :-)

Tina_R — August 30, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Just in case no one has mentioned this.

If one wants this to be true Vegan, then one must read the label of the chocolate chips. A lot of brands will have milk, milk solids added to the chips… even dark chocolate.

Vegan Choc Chips are available.

I only mention because I’ve noticed that Vegan seems to be the latest dietary bandwagon that many (especially manufacturers) have jumped upon (like gluten free) when the product might not be a true Vegan.

I’ve been a Vegan since long before it “hit the main stream” (Hollywood trend) so have been aware how difficult it can be to find Vegan items in a “traditional” supermarket. Especially with name brands. That’s the only reason for my caution.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 30th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

reading labels and using caution to make sure all ingredients used are appropriate for one’s needs is good common sense in anything, of course!

Yazmine — August 31, 2012 at 10:53 am

Better idea for the thin mints, just go out get ritz and andes mint chocolates. Melt the chocolate, dip in ritz, set on wax paper, let harden, eat. Mint and chocolate already done for you in perfect combination.
    #experience

Jennifer — September 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm

These were delicious and super easy. I was surprised by the ritz crackers but they worked perfectly. My two year old loved them. I’ve made some of your other cookies and they were delicious as well. In one recipe I changed it a little and added mint and chocolate chips and added a melted Andes mint on top. Really yummy! Thanks so much for your blog. I’m trying another dessert this weekend and definitely will be trying your tofu recipes. Thanks and keep up the good work!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 9:29 pm

So glad you and the 2-year old loved them :) And that you’ve tried some of my other cookie recipes with great success…love getting comments like this! And thanks for reading and making things!

Donna Dayson — September 14, 2012 at 5:40 am

I make these using andies candies melted in the microwave at 30 second intervals till melted then dip in crackers in melted candy.

Tammy — September 14, 2012 at 7:25 am

These sound so yummy! I used to eat thin mints cookies all the time (Girl Scout one being the best) but now that I am a Celiac finding any good cookie is a challange. Does anyone know if the GF crackers would work? I can’t find any to resemble the taste of a yummy ritz cracker, but are they used just for the texture or ritz flavor? There are some crackers that resemble ritz but are very tasteless.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 7:38 am

I say try the ‘crackers that resemble ritz but are very tasteless’ – you have nothing to lose if that’s your only option!

lisa — September 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

so i get the chocolate and mint but it dosent say what you use for the green in the middle?? what is that

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 14th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

There is no green in the middle of anything in this post. These are homemade Thin Mints made from Ritz, chocolate, and mint. It’s all in the recipe section of the post how to make them.

• Alex replied: — September 22nd, 2012 at 8:40 am

Yeah I was thinking the same, looking at the second picture from the top. I think the Ritz crackers maybe took on a green hue from the reflection of the plate.

Alice — September 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I found this on pinterest and I am so glad!! I made these tonight and they are awesome!! I can’t believe how easy they are to make. Now I don’t have to wait until Girl Scout cookie season :) Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 18th, 2012 at 10:32 pm

So glad you found me and it’s both a blessing and a curse to be able to make Thin Mints at home, isn’t it :)

M — September 25, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Ritz crackers are not vegan so I wouldn’t label these as vegan.

Jenn — October 13, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I made the thin mints tonight and they are delicious. The only thing I may do different next time is not use chocolate chips. They melt way to fast. I think I’ll use candi quik next time.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Choc chips are a pain to work with in this application unless you add 1 tbsp of vegetable shortening, which is really what is in candi quik to give it that smooth ‘n melty, and stays soft til you’re ready, quality. In applications like this, 1 tbsp of shortening is just a lifesaver! But glad to hear they were a success and delish & thanks for the feedback!

Jenn — October 14, 2012 at 10:59 am

I actually did use shortening, and they were less messy today after being in the fridge over night. I will definitely be making these again.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Ok good to know they firmed up! Dealing with choc chips for dipping projects can be a pain. I agree! Candiquik is pretty magical :) I don’t ever call for it b/c not everyone wants to buy it, whereas choc chips are much easier to come by and I get less questions :)

Stacy — October 16, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Hi! Thank you so much for this great thin mint recipe! I have my second batch this week in the fridge now chillin’ :) Everyone has just loved them, and actually had some believe I didn’t make them either; that I had bought these cookies instead! Thanks again for a quick and delish thin mint recipe.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 17th, 2012 at 9:36 am

Now that is awesome! I mean, in the best possible way: “… actually had some believe I didn’t make them either; that I had bought these cookies instead!…”

Wow, that’s impressive and clearly you got the dipping part down pat so they must have been all smooth and pretty and fabulous! Love it!

• Stacy replied: — October 17th, 2012 at 11:07 am

Well, I’m a chocolate pretzel dipper from way back so it’s pretty much the same technique-lol! Also put one of those rubber jar openers under my glass bowl to keep it in place–makes it even quicker. Thanks for your nice reply and so happy to find you–have all ready pinned another recipe to try:)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 17th, 2012 at 11:10 am

Well you just have all the little tricks in place, don’t you! Love anything that makes life easier…I am all about that!

Keep me posted with other things you make and how it goes for you!

Dawn — October 26, 2012 at 1:23 pm

THank you for this! I have been wanting this recipe for years. Someone made these years ago for me at Christmas and I could NOT believe how closely they resembled my favorite Thin Mints!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 26th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I am so glad that you found it then. I know how it is when you’re searching for something for years and finally you find it. Hope you enjoy them! :)

Gina — November 3, 2012 at 8:50 pm

The cool thing about these… if I make them, I get them all to myself because my husband does not like mint!

Leah — November 9, 2012 at 12:49 am

I would advocate using peppermint rather than spearmint. Peppermint is what you will find in most food, while spearmint is the flavour of toothpaste (although you do get spearmint in food too, it is pretty common in chewing gum as well). Peppermint is not as sharp a flavour as spearmint so a lot of people prefer peppermint. Obviously if you like spearmint then go for it, but if it’s for sharing I would suggest peppermint!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 9th, 2012 at 12:57 am

Right – and I used and showed the bottle of peppermint extract in my post. I prefer it to spearmint, absolutely, for this recipe!

just joan — November 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I thought Ritz crackers were loaded with dairy, but I just looked the ingredients up online and they are made with soybean oil! OMG, something to add to my grocery list. Yay! Totally going to make these thin mints.

Gloria — November 11, 2012 at 5:18 am

How long are the thin mints good for at room temperture? I wanted to send them to my brother as a Christmas treat, but it takes at least a week to ship to him. Do the ritz end up soggy?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 11th, 2012 at 9:58 am

If you’re shipping in cold weather climates this time of year, I think you’d be fine, but I haven’t tried so cannot be sure one way or the other. It’s melted chocolate so not something I’d do in the warm climates in the summertime but let common sense be your guide.

Candi — November 11, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’ve made these twice now, both times with coconut oil, both times they turned out Perfect! I took them to work and even the people that don’t like coconut (couldn’t taste it) loved them. Ran out off cookies within the 1st 5 minutes. So easy to make too, my 5 year old grandson helps. Thank you for this awesome recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 11th, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thanks for the feedback, Candi, and glad you love the recipe! And it’s very helpful to know that you’ve tried it with coconut oil and even the people that don’t like coconut couldn’t taste it. That’s always a concern when I cook with it, wondering if those who don’t like it will notice it – good to know they were demolished in five minutes. Love that and thanks for writing!

Cynthia — November 14, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Now that the holiday season is almost upon us, I think this would make a quick and easy homemade cookie offering for when you need to bring something to a party. Simple is always best. I have to chime in on the Samoas too… those things are ridiculous, and the box only has like 12 in it, who can’t eat 12 cookies?

Tiffany — November 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I seen this recipe after discovering your website yesterday, I ran to the market this morning tho make this recipe:) it came out great! Thanks

jennipher — November 18, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I use the andes mints instead of the choc chips and extract, it takes my ingredients down to two and makes it easier!! You could also use the mint hershey kisses.

Nikki — November 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Just finished cleaning up after making these – they’re in the freezer hardening now! I didn’t actually measure the shortening – just estimated what looked like a Tbsp., but had to add a bit more. I used the 3/4 tsp. mint extract… it smelled right (I don’t eat chocolate, I’m making these for others, so I didn’t taste). I started with a 1/2 tsp., but it didn’t smell minty enough, so I added another 1/4 tsp to make the full 3/4. I actually got 23!! (Amazing, as usually I only get about half of what a recipe says it will make… I guess this time the size of cookie was pre-set… I tend to make my cookies big… I just don’t see the point of ‘a teaspoon of dough’ for a cookie… bring on the 1/4 cup or bigger!!) Thanks for this FANTASTICALLY BRILLIANT recipe!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — November 29th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hi Nikki – thanks for the detailed comment and info and glad you made them and are so happy with them! Mint (and shortening) are ingredients that vary from brand to brand, and on personal taste preferences so glad you used them accordingly. And I LOLed about your comment about a tsp of dough…I used to be one of those 1 1/2 tsp girls but have realized that nearing a 1/4 cup I actually get better results…and it’s well, a bigger cookie which is a bonus! Have a great day!

Dave — December 1, 2012 at 9:33 am

Wow, these sound just like the ones my Aunt made when I was a kid! So original!

Amanda W — December 3, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Made these tonight and they were approved by DH, his words were “oh, my gosh these are amazing.”. I think we will use these as our Christmas treats this year, only thing, mine didn’t turn green. Did I not let them sit in the chocolate too long? Did I use enough extract?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 3rd, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Mine aren’t green either. If you see hints of green on my cookies, it’s an optical illusion from the reflection from the green plate. I figured that out a few months ago when someone else mentioned that! Glad you loved the recipe and your DH too! Thanks for coming back to LMK!