Homemade Thin Mints

Thin Mints are those Girl Scout Cookies that I can eat an entire tube of in a sitting.

Oh, you too?

Homemade Thin Mints (no-bake, vegan) - Only 3 ingredients in this spot on copycat version of real Thin Mints! Easy recipe at averiecooks.com

Since my cravings for mint in the middle of the summer continued, I decided to try my hand at a homemade, no-bake, vegan version of Thin Mints.

They should be called Thin Mints Cheater’s Mints. No-bake and so easy.

What’s the catch you’re wondering?

Ritz Crackers

I promise these cookies don’t taste like crackers.

The crackers provide a neutral base layer, nice crunch, and are a dead-ringer in size and shape for what will become cookies.

When they’re drenched in mint-flavored chocolate, you won’t know it’s a cracker or care that it started out as a cracker.

These Thin Mints taste incredibly close to the real thing and take all of 15 minutes to make.

Gather your long list of 3 (or 4)ingredients:

Ritz crackers, which are accidentally vegan

Semi-sweet chocolate chips (and vegetable shortening)

Peppermint extract

Melt the chocolate and shortening. I highly recommend a tablespoon of shortening for any chocolate dipping projects because it keeps the chocolate smooth, viscous, and much less likely to get that hard-before-you-want-it-to and clumpy consistency.

Add peppermint extract to the melted chocolate and get ready to dippity do. As with my last recipe and caveat about peppermint extract, make sure you read my disclaimer in the recipe box below.

Place dipped crackers, which I now think of as cookies, on parchment paper.

Food goes from cracker status to cookie status the minute chocolate is involved.

Wait for the chocolate to solidify and firm up before digging in.

Because of the shortening, it could take a half hour or more at room temperature for the chocolate to solidify, especially if you decide to do this project on an 80 degree day in the middle of summer without running your air.

Pop the tray in the refrigerator or freezer to speed things up. I like them better chilled anyway and store them in the freezer.

The minute I took these out of the freezer, the condensation on the chocolate began. It reminded me of Christmas Crack in Aruba. Nothing you can do when it starts.

It was a hot day in San Diego the day I made these and as the 3pm sun was shining in on my photography table, both me and the cookies began to sweat.

The cool mint was perfect.

Homemade Thin Mints (no-bake, vegan) - Only 3 ingredients in this spot-on copycat version of real Thin Mints!  Ridiculously easy recipe at averiecooks.com

Print Print Save Save

Homemade Thin Mints (no-bake, vegan)

Just 3 ingredients in these Homemade Thin Mints that taste like the real thing, and no one ever guesses what the 'secret ingredient' is. Incredibly easy to make, always a hit at parties, and now you can make your own Thin Mints any time of year and don't have to wait for cookie season!

Yield: about 18 cookies

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 0 minutes

Total Time: about 1 hour, for cooling

Ingredients:

18 Ritz Crackers ( Ritz are accidentally vegan)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening, optional but recommended
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract* (see notes below)

Directions:

1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper or wax paper; set aside. Clear out a spot in your refrigerator or freezer to accommodate baking sheet.
  2. In a shallow microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and shortening (the shortening helps the chocolate stay smooth when using it for dipping; it prevents that thick and gloppy, chocolate getting hard before you want it to phenomenon) and heat for 1 minute on high power to melt. Stir and heat in 10 to 15 second bursts until chocolate can be stirred very smooth.
  3. To the melted chocolate add 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract* and stir. If you prefer it mintier, add another 1/4 teaspoon. I used 3/4 teaspoon in total, but because all brands and taste preferences differ, taste your chocolate and add peppermint to taste. *Note: Mint extract is much, much more potent than vanilla extract; 1 teaspoon of mint extract has an extreme amount of potency compared with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. You cannot un-do mint once added so be very, very careful to not over-do it and end up with a bottle of Listerine-tasting food. There are different kinds of mint extracts available and are labeled as “mint, “peppermint”, “spearmint” and more. For this recipe I used store-brand (Kroger/Ralph’s) “peppermint extract” sold in a small 1 ounce bottle. Select the version of “mint” you think sounds best as not all types are available in all areas.
  4.  Add 1 cracker to the chocolate, coat it, and remove it by lightly scooping it up from the underside with a fork, allowing excess chocolate to drain off through fork tines. Place cracker on parchment and repeat with all remaining crackers. If necessary, re-heat the chocolate in 10 to 15 second bursts if it starts getting too firm for smooth dipping. After all crackers have been dipped, place baking sheet in refrigerator. Although these will solidify at room temperature, the shortening in the chocolate lengthens the amount of time that will take; the fridge or freezer helps speed it up. Store extra Thin Mints in an airtight container in the refrigerator for many weeks. In the freezer, I estimate that these could be kept for 3 to 6 months successfully.

Recipe inspiration from Kraft

Related Recipes (and dusting off a few antiques I had forgotten about)

Mint Recipes:

Creme de Menthe Bars (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Thin Mint Fudge (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Mint Chocolate Coconut Snowballs (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Old-Fashioned Butter Mints (no-bake, GF)

Ritz Recipes:

Ritz-Cracker Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups (no-bake, vegan)

Pink Lemonade Freezer Bars with a Ritz cracker crust and crumble topping (no-bake)

Do you like Thin Mints?

Do you like mint or have any favorite mint recipes?

I am a huge Thin Mints fan and I could eat a tube in a sitting if I let myself, and for that reason, I don’t buy them. Now I have homemade Thin Mints which are maybe a little too easy, if you know what I mean.

Samoas are another weaknesses and I came up with a Samoas Bars recipe, which is reminiscent of those beloved cookies.

Even though many people tend use mint in their holiday baking, I think cool mint is perfect for a hot summer day.

Feel free to link up any mint recipes or recipes with some time-saving or clever shortcuts (like the Ritz cracker trick). I’m all about other recipe shortcuts.

Thanks for the Capresso Espresso and Cappuccino Machine Giveaway entries & have a great week!

287 Responses to “Homemade Thin Mints”

Rachel — December 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Ah, I just made these, and they are just so good. I love them. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:12 am

Thanks for the feedback and for making them, Rachel! I am so glad that you love them! :)

Marie — December 9, 2012 at 5:15 am

I tried to make these last night (tried twice) and everytime I added the mint extract my chocolate hardened right up. What am I doing wrong?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 9th, 2012 at 7:14 am

There are many issues that could be the culprit but it sounds like your extract has water in it causing the chocolate to sieze. You could likely reheat mixture in 10 second bursts in micro to soften, stirring after each until smooth.

You could use a different type of chocolate.

Or use a different type of extract.

Or you could add vegetable shortening to the chocolate as I recommended in the post.

Many things could rectify the issue but because I don’t know what kind of chocolate you’re using, i.e. baking, candy melts, chocolate chips, and dont know if you’re using shortening and I’m not there with you – those are my tips.

• Marie replied: — December 9th, 2012 at 8:34 am

I was using chocolate chips and tried once with and once without the shortening…neither worked. Even tried to reheat in microwave..that didn’t work either. But I just tried again and used vegetable oil instead of shortening and that worked! Thanks! :)

marla — December 15, 2012 at 6:16 am

Love this recipe! Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)

Megan — December 15, 2012 at 7:20 am

Thank you so much for sharing! I made these for a Christmas cookie exchange, and I wanted to keep them all to myself. I also made some with white chocolate and added candy cane shavings on top. Absolutely delicious!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 15th, 2012 at 7:22 am

Megan thanks for writing back to tell me you made them and wanted to keep them all for yourself :) And that they wee a big hit! I bet the white choc + candycane shavings are wonderful on them! Great idea!

KAT — December 23, 2012 at 8:37 am

Just made the thin mints today for the holidays and they are wonderful. My husband and I love them and they are super easy to make. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 23rd, 2012 at 8:38 am

Thanks for coming back to LMK, Kat! I appreciate it and glad you guys enjoyed them so much!

Betty — December 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

I have made these for a few years with vanilla wafers, I’m anxious to try it with the Ritz.

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — December 31, 2012 at 9:44 am

You are amazing!!! Love this!

Shara — January 1, 2013 at 11:13 am

I just simply use the mint chocolate chips melt and dip the crackers. I usually just dip over halfway. I like the presentation :) Thank you for sharing all these yummy recipes. I love your site.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 1st, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Good thinking with the mint chocolate chips – saves a step!

Carolyn — January 7, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Thanks for the yummy recipe!

• don replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I make what is similar to these cookies, but I use Andes thin mints and ritz crackers. They are great. Just melt the mints, 2 or 3 packages, then coat the crackers and lay them on a tray with wax paper. When set up, eat and enjoy.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Sounds like a good trick! I know lots of people use Andes mints as a shortcut for candies/treats like this and I need to try. Sometimes my international readers can’t find particular ‘American’ candy but for all of us here, a nice shortcut!

Grace — January 13, 2013 at 9:45 am

This is such an ingenious idea! Crackers as thin mints…wow!

suzanne — January 26, 2013 at 12:20 pm

These are good. But I would only make them the rest of the season when real girl scout thin mints aren’t available… Those girls freeze their tushies off to provide them and I know that I am making a difference in their lives when I buy them.

So while yes this is fab. I wouldn’t ever give up my thin mints.

Maureen Kreider — January 27, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I just made a batch and they were great. Had a little trouble coating the crackers though. Do you think I could use a pastry brush for the chocolate?
    P.S. New to your sight…but am truly amazed at your recipes. Can’t wait to try them all! You are on my FAVORITES list now! Hips and thighs beware! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 27th, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Trouble coating the crackers. Hmm…Not sure exactly what you mean but I put the chocolate in a small bowl and then just dip the crackers into the bowl. When I first start, I can submerge the cracker entirely in the choclate and as I begin to use it up, I have to flip the cracker over to coat both sides. Either use more chocolate, use another bowl with a different depth, or a pasty brush if you think that would help but it shouldnt be necessary.

And welcome! Thanks for finding me and I can’t wait to hear about what you make next – please come back and LMK!

Kate @ So Cal Runner Gal — February 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm

How do you come up with this stuff?! AMAZING!! I can’t wait to make these.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 8th, 2013 at 3:02 pm

It was summmertime and warm out when I actually made that recipe and I didn’t want to turn my oven on and wanting something cooling and minty :)

Samantha — February 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Saw this recipe on HuffPost! :D I’ve been wanting to try these for awhile. VERY intrigued by the Ritz cracker! (And these are my favorite GSC!)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 12th, 2013 at 7:16 pm

They don’t wind up tasting anything like Ritz…they do end up tasting super close to the real thing!

Nat @ The Apple Diaries — February 20, 2013 at 3:14 am

I am honestly so impressed by how creative that thin mint recipe is! And they look delicious. As a matter of fact everything on this page looks delicious! Great peanut butter cup recipe too ;) there’s something about dark chocolate and peanuts that gets me every time!

Miranda — March 19, 2013 at 1:59 pm

These look delish! (I say look because mine are cooling in the fridge right now– I have yet to taste!) Just adding info– I used 1C chocolate chips and it got me through around 2 dozen crackers! THanks for the great recipe! Another great perk is that I only had to clean 1 bowl!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2013 at 7:44 pm

1 c of chips got me through around the same amount of crackers as well if memory serves. Thanks for coming back to LMK you made them! And I love 1 bowl cleanup, too!

Kate — March 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm

These were absolutely incredible! My husband and I ate the entire batch in one night and are so glad we did! :) While shopping for the crackers, I noticed that almost every brand in the store contained high fructose corn syrup. Surprised, but somehow not really, I decided to continue the search- it was really hard! I finally found a box by the Safeway Kitchen brand that contains “sugar”. Not very descriptive, but better than HFCS, which I would have otherwise chose to not purchase.

On another note, I had no idea that the chocolate would form such a thick coat around the cracker, I am thoroughly impressed. I thought of possibly trying out some peanut butter chips with vanilla extract next time… and just playing around with alternative flavored chips and extracts to make various cookies. I think it could be yummy :) Thanks for this amazingly simple recipe, I’m glad I decided to try it :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — March 19th, 2013 at 7:43 pm

So glad you’re pleased with these and thanks for taking the time to come back and LMK. Yes, the choc does form a THICK coating which is why I suggesting thinning it with shortening a bit to make it easier to work with if someone is having issues with it getting too thick. I bet PB chips would be wonderful!

Kelsey — June 5, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Great recipe! I used 4 baking squares, vegetable oil instead of shortening, and opted for just the 1/2 tsp of peppermint extract. Worked great. Very easy!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 5th, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Thanks for trying these and for letting me (and others who read your comment) know what worked for you! Thanks for LMK you tried them!

April — June 18, 2013 at 10:50 am

These are dangerous because they are delicious but also so easy! Thanks for awesome recipe!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 18th, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Thanks for trying them, April! And yes, so easy they ARE dangerous :)

Kelly L — July 8, 2013 at 8:15 am

Oh, these look and sound glorious… and easy, which is even better. I think I’m gonna have to try these out… Yum!

Caroline — July 8, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I am drooling over my computer screen! I can almost taste them right now! Cannot wait to make these…I LOVE “Ritz are accidentally vegan” That has me laughing so hard!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 8th, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I get tons and tons of outraged comments if I ever (accidentally!) call something vegan and it’s not – so I made sure to tell people they are, with a link, so that no one can leave me flaming comments. It happens otherwise!

Chrissy — August 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Averie, these are delicious! May I ask how you turned the Ritz centers green? I want mine to look as lovely as yours!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 1st, 2013 at 2:47 pm

A few people have asked me that and I think it’s just the light bounce you’re seeing from the plate. I didn’t do anything special to the centers :)

• Chrissy replied: — August 1st, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Got it! And THANK YOU for the reply!!!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner — August 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm

You mean eating half the box of thin mints isn’t normal? ;)
    I’m so curious to see how this recipe works out. Pinning and trying. :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 12th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for pinning and LMK what you think!

Tracey — September 21, 2013 at 9:42 am

Averie these look so great as it is spring here now will be facing the same problem you did, the heat. Yes I am from down under Australia. Will give these ago, a pity I can not eat them(chocolate hates me) but my boys will love these. I love the no baking part, might even tell my 2nd son’s partner about them as she loves cooking. My 1st time here and will be coming back.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 21st, 2013 at 5:18 pm

thanks for finding me and saying hi – glad you’ll be back!

phyllis greathouse — October 31, 2013 at 3:02 pm

why not just use mint chocolate chips and not add the extract

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 31st, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Because not everyone has access to mint choc chips year-round (including me!). Southern California does not stock mint chips routinely in groc stores except for pre-Xmas.

Angie — November 3, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Just made these, they are FANTASTIC!! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 3rd, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Glad you love them Angie and thanks for coming back and taking time to tell me!

Motheroflittle — November 16, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Amazing…simply amazing! I made these with Glutino Originals ,semi sweet chips, coconut oil and peppermint extract. They do taste just like GS thin mints. Thank you sooo much for this fun and tasty treat.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 16th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Happy to hear they came out just like the real deal for you! Thanks for sharing what you used & for trying the recipe!

Danyel — November 17, 2013 at 7:04 am

Or you can cut it down to two ingredients and purchase Ritz crackers, and a bag of Andes thin mint baking chips. They melt wonderfully in the microwave! I usually microwave for 1 minute, take it out, mix it up then microwave for an additional 40 seconds. Dip and dry on wax paper-so simple! One bag of Andes thin mint baking chips will cover approximately 1&1/2 sleeves of Ritz crackers so plan ahead and buy extra!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 17th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

See comment reply 109:

Angie — November 17, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Absolutely delicious! Used vegetable oil instead of shortening, and they turned out perfect. Thank you so much for this fabulous recipe!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 17th, 2013 at 9:45 pm

YAY! Thanks for trying them, Angie, and glad the veg oil worked for you. Perfect! :)

Candice Cannon — November 22, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I have also used the Andes mints to dip the crackers and they are fabulous but am happy to learn of an alternative. Thank you.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 22nd, 2013 at 9:30 pm

It definitely cheaper to do it this way than using actual Andes mints (god I love those things!). LMK if you try it this way!

Mrs. Douglas — December 14, 2013 at 6:04 am

This is my second year making these for a Holiday Cookie Swap!! So happy for this recipe. It is so awesome and no it doesn’t taste like crackers at all. Everyone is always so shocked to learn how they were made!! THANK YOU :D

• Averie Sunshine replied: — December 14th, 2013 at 6:35 am

So happy to hear you’ve been making these for a couple years now & no one ever guesses the little secret :)

Anna — December 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Thank you so much for the great recipes. I made the thin mints using Andes mint chips and the crackers and it couldn’t get any easier and so delicious. My 12 year old is bringing a bunch to school for her Christmas party…she loves them!
    I also made the butter mints and they are so yummy (we haven’t rolled them out yet, but tasted the dough). I did add about 1/8th of a tsp. more of the peppermint, which was the right amount for us. I colored them with Wilton gel colors…a red, a kelly green, a purple, and a pretty blue and will combine all the colors together in a pretty apothecary glass jar to set out for the holidays. Thank you so much for sharing…I know that these recipes will become part of out festivities year after year. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all! God Bless!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — December 19th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Thanks for the heartfelt and wonderful comment! Glad these worked great for you w/ Andes mint chips & how sweet your daughter is bringing some to school for the xmas party. Nice :)

And the butter mints. Glad that 1/8th tsp more was the right amt for you & those Wilton gels are GREAT! I bet they are so pretty! And in glass jars – so striking they’ll be just sitting out! Glad these recipes will be on rotation for years to come!

Kristi — January 22, 2014 at 8:37 am

These look amazing, and I have all of these ingredients handy all the time! Definitely going to try these tonight. Thanks for sharing!
    I have a question though, a non-food related question – I visited your site on my smartphone and MY GOSH the popups were ridiculous. Redirecting the page constantly, or just popups that wouldn’t let me scroll. Do you know if anyone else has had this problem? If so, is it something you’re looking to get fixed?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — January 22nd, 2014 at 8:44 am

I spend a ton of time on my own site obviously and I almost never get popups and I don’t get complaints about them as a general rule. I am sorry to hear that you were being bombarded. Ads are generated usually based on saved cookies, your browsing history, demographics and who knows what else. I will pass your feedback along and have my advertising partners look into it.

I hope you enjoy the Thin Mints!

Jackie — February 12, 2014 at 10:56 am

Guess who isn’t spending $4 a box on GS cookies ever again? This gal! These look AMAZING and are the best alternative to my second favorite cookie! I might even try this with graham cracker squares and chocolate chip cookies! :D

Stacey Parzik — August 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Just a note if you want to make sure it’s vegan, be sure to check the ingredients on the chocolate chips you’re using; while Trader Joe’s brand is milk free, not all semi-sweet chocolate chips are. Can’t wait to try these!

sasha — October 21, 2014 at 8:49 am

I didn’t get vegetable shortening…it’s not available here.. What to do?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 21st, 2014 at 2:04 pm

It just helps the chocolate to stay smooth for longer periods of time without re-solidifying but if you don’t have it, you can omit