Rainbow Flag Recipes

It’s Pride Weekend here in San Diego.

In honor of rainbow flags flying, here are my rainbow-colored recipes for a very rainbow flag-flying kind of weekend.

Red

Stovetop Hot Pepper Jelly

Strawberries and Cream Smoothie (vegan, GF)

Raw Taco Nut “Meat” (vegan, GF) – One of the best raw vegan recipes in my entire archives and it takes 30 seconds to make. Use it in wraps, over salads, or eat by itself.

30 seconds later

Orange

Barbeque Tofu with Pineapple and Mango (vegan, GF)

Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks

Pumpkin Spiced Brown Rice Tempeh and Cranberry Salad (vegan, gluten free if GF tempeh is used)

Yellow

Coconut Oil Cinnamon and Sugar Plantains (vegan, GF)

Caramelized Bananas (GF)

Green

Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries (with a vegan option)

Old-Fashioned Butter Mints (no-bake, GF)

Spinach Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Cheesy Squares (vegetarian, with vegan & GF options)

Blue

Ginger Roasted Tri-Color Potatoes (vegan, GF)

Microwave Blueberrry Banana Oat Cake (vegan, GF)

Indigo

Blueberry Banana Recovery Smoothie (vegan, GF)

Puffy Vanilla and Peanut Butter Chip Cookies – with an indigo background (indigo food is a little hard to come by)

Violet

Roasted Grapes and Balsamic Reduction with cheese and crackers

What are you doing this weekend?

Have you ever been to any Pride festivals, events, or parades?

Here are the last few years worth that I have blog posts from:

2009

2010

2011 <– some fun pictures in this post

Celebrating diversity and promoting tolerance; the vibe in the city, the people-watching, the great energy, it’s so much fun to be around and it’s one of my favorite weekends of the year.

My neighborhood is more than alive right now with a half million Pride attendees and visitors from all over the country. It’s the fourth largest Pride Parade in the country.

My car is parked for the weekend; it’s a walking-only kind of weekend due to all the traffic and road closures and that’s just fine with me.

Thanks for the Zoku Single Quick Pop Maker and Chocolate Station Giveaway entries and have a great weekend!

27 Responses to “Rainbow Flag Recipes”

Jess — July 21, 2012 at 1:24 am

I agree I love the energy and people watching at Pride celebrations! We have a massive one in Sydney every February during Mardi Gras! So much fun, the city comes alive.

Paula — July 21, 2012 at 4:14 am

I went to our local Pride festival a couple of years ago to watch a friend perform. Ours is very small and less colorful/lively compared to San Diego, but at least we do have one. I had no idea San Diego’s has the 4th largest parade in the country–sounds fun. I’m doing some extra cooking this weekend so I have leftovers for the freezer. In fact, I plan to scroll thru your recipe archives for an idea (or two)! Enjoy your weekend!

Laura Dembowski — July 21, 2012 at 5:05 am

Cool post! No big weekend plans here, but sometimes those are the best kind. Hope you have a good weekend :)

Holly W — July 21, 2012 at 7:15 am

Averie,
    I’m so happy to see a Pride post from you! It’s very refreshing to know that there are supportive people out there of the LGBT community. Enjoy the festival! Our pride was at the beginning of June and it’s one of my favorite weekends of the year.
    Have fun!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 21st, 2012 at 9:31 am

I can’t imagine being any other way! Glad you enjoyed your weekend in June :)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — July 21, 2012 at 7:36 am

your collection of recipes is truly impressive! Those avocado puff pastries are calling my name! yum!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — July 21, 2012 at 8:23 am

When I saw you were doing a Pride post and happily choosing to support Pride Parade, I was really excited! So glad there are other like-minded, tolerant bloggers out there who support a great cause and a wonderful community of people! It sounds like SO much fun. One day I want to make a day trip to Pride in SF but I know parking will be ridiculous so maybe I’ll make it a weekend trip :) have fun, take pictures!

And one last thing–here in Sacramento there’s a vegan/veggie cafe called Sunflower and they have these AWESOME burgers called “Nutburgers” made with nutmeat. They won’t tell me what’s in the patty but it’s obviously nuts + grains. Do you or have you made/seen any recipes for something like that for patties? I’ve been dying to recreate them at home!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 21st, 2012 at 9:29 am

I went to Halloween in the Castro one year in SF about 7-8 yrs ago – now that was crazy :)

Two bloggers which have a extensive collection of bean/nut burgers on their site are gena/choosingraw dot com and angela/ohsheglows dot com Either one of them have tons of bean/seed/nut burger combos and I bet you’ll find something that you’ll enjoy!

Elana — July 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

Yay for Pride! Ill be there recycling with my friends org, 1:1! Also note to self, do not make cookie butter funfetti bars with yellow cake in a too small pan. They will not be bars. Still ooey gooey thou (opposite of the dry ones I made last time, looks like someone will be buying a 9×13 pan!)

thyme (Sarah) — July 21, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Wow, Averie…I don’t even know where to begin with all of these selections. The photo and description that popped out at me were the sweet potato/graham cracker fries. I think would be a terrific option when I really crave something sweet but don’t want to have a totally splurge wipeout. Have a wonderful “Pride” weekend in the city!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 21st, 2012 at 3:15 pm

they are SO GOOD. They have been an under-loved recipe and I don’t really know why (just one that didn’t get that much attention – maybe the photos aren’t pretty?) I don’t know but if I could pick one thing in this post to have, I think that is it. They are like candy in potato form!

Ironically I was on your site yesterday (we were both linked up in javelin warrior’s roundup) and I saw your amazing beet chips! Or someone’s roundup? Anyway, saw those chips :)

Ellen — July 21, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Thanks to this I now have ten different cravings going on at once, haha. Maybe I’m just hungry;)
    As for the weekend, I actually started it with your recipe for peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough balls. I made them for a girls night in party last night. Good stuff. They were appreciated!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 21st, 2012 at 3:16 pm

That’s awesome! Glad they were a hit and hopefully you were popular at the party :)

Christine (The Raw Project) — July 21, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Great recipe inspiration, love the colors and theme. I’ve never been to a Pride parade, but want to – haven’t had the opportunity yet and wish there was one close to me.

luv what you do — July 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm

The Chicago pride parade is a blast and I love celebrating everyone’s invidualism! In this post, there is a great picture of my mom in her bright colors celebrating the day!

I love the rainbow food idea. Delish! Fruit salsa is my favorite multi colored food! Delish!

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — July 21, 2012 at 8:18 pm

What a lovely post, Averie! I’ve been to many Pride festivals in Seattle… I miss that atmosphere of diversity and tolerance… I miss West Coast… (Sigh)

j3nn — July 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm

It would be awesome to be able to park our car for the weekend or for the week! We drive waaaay too much. Even now we’re closer to civilization and still rack up some hefty mileage. And I swear it has nothing to do with my shopping trips. (lying) :)

Ashley H (@SouthnPurpleVeg) — July 21, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I have never actually been to a Pride festival before but about two years ago me and my family. Where on vacation and the town we stayed in actually was finishing there Pride Festival for the weekend so I got to see the last part of the festival.

Amber K — July 22, 2012 at 11:29 am

I never have, but it sounds like it would be a great time! I have a few family members that have gone and they post pictures on Facebook. Looks awesome.

Melissa (Better Fit) — July 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Sounds like a fun weekend. It’s great to celebrate tolerance and individuality. I’ve been to pride a couple of times in London, and it’s always been great fun!

marla — July 22, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I am in love with that photo of the rainbow flag, I am obsessed with photographing flags. Glad you had such a fun time at the parade :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

HELL YEA to pride weekend Averie!!!! LOVE this post so much. And I bet it was a fabulous weekend, too. Your website is full of so may wonderful colorful recipes AND colorful backgrounds and dish ware. One of my favorite thing about Averie Cooks is all the pretty colors :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

I’ve never gone to a pride festival/event, but I would like to!