Spinach Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Cheesy Squares

I don’t often say that I love a savory food, but I will say that I love spinach and artichoke dip to the point that you should not leave me alone next to a bowl of it at a party.

None of the other guests will get any because I can polish off a bowl like nobody’s business.

artichokesquares-15

These squares are like spinach and artichoke dip but in bar form and are jazzed up with cheese and roasted red peppers.

Unlike spinach and artichoke dip which requires crackers, bread, or some sort of dippage tool, that’s not required with these.

And that’s a good thing because I only use crackers as a way to see how much spinach and artichoke dip I can consume.

You don’t even need a fork with these. They’re the perfect walk around and talk party food. And a perfect don’t make a mess all over the kitchen floor food. As a mom, my brain always drifts to how many crumbs or how messy a food is or if it stains.

I was thinking about calling the recipe Spinach Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Cheesy Casserole. Butcasserole tends to imply boring, makes a ton and you’ll be eating leftovers for days and days, and everything is a mushy mess.

Between the artichokes, their oil and juices, the roasted peppers, the cheese, there’s nothing boring about these.

The recipes makes a modest sized pan and although the leftover squares can be eaten warm, you can also eat them cold or wrap them up and toss them into a lunchbox the next day. They were just as good cold as warm and in fact, I preferred them cold, probably because I love chilled spinach and artichoke dip.

There is plenty of texture from all the vegetables. Not mushy, at all.

They’re a snap to make. A one-bowl, crack open a few jars, stir, combine, and bake kind of recipe:

Open the jars of peppers and artichokes.

Dice the red peppers, and if there are any large artichokes, dice them if you wish. I wanted chunky big pieces, plus the layers of the artichokes slide apart a bit anyway, so I didn’t do much of any dicing.

Crack two eggs into a bowl and beat them with a fork.

Add the jar of artichokes, juice, oil and all.

Add the red peppers (without the juice)

Add a handful or two of frozen spinach flakes (you don’t even need to thaw it)

Add the breadcrumbs

Season if needed (there was plenty of salt and seasoning from the jarred peppers and artichokes and no additional seasoning was needed for me)

Stir, pour into a pan, and bake

Like I said, this does not make an army-load, which is the case with most “casseroles”.

Nine squares and they were gone in a day.

Even Scott who really isn’t an artichoke guy got past the artichokes and liked these. I told him it’s just like baked eggs with cheese and a few veggies thrown in and you like peppers and spinach.

It’s all about creative marketing.

This is my new favorite party appetizer. And my favorite “casserole” for dinner on a Tuesday night.

Remember when I said I had not made any Red, White and Blue food for the Fourth of July?

Well, this is red, white, and green food. And I plated it with red, white, and blue dishes. How’s that for creative marketing.

[print_this]

Spinach Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Cheesy Squares (with vegan and gluten free suggestions)

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 12-ounce jar marinated artichokes, oil-packed

1 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers (7.5 ounces of peppers, the remainder is juice)

1 cup frozen spinach

2 cups shredded cheese (I used a 4-cheese medley)

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

salt and black pepper to taste, optional

pinch cayenne pepper, chili powder, dash of Tabasco, garlic powder, onion powder to taste, all are optional (I used none)

Preheat oven to 325F. Prepare a 9-by-9-inch pan by lining it with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, crack the eggs and lightly beat with a fork. Add the jar of artichokes in entirety, oil/juice and all (if there are any large pieces of artichokes that are fully intact and you wish to dice them into smaller pieces, feel free – there was only 1 artichoke in my jar that needed dicing and I kept the pieces as-is and fairly chunky and sizable).

Remove the red peppers from the jar, dice into small pieces, and add them to the bowl (discard the juice and do not add it).

Add the spinach (I used frozen and did not thaw it) and stir to combine. Add the cheese and gently stir to combine. Fold in the breadcrumbs and stir to combine. Season with salt, pepper, or any optional seasonings, to taste. All brands of artichokes and red peppers vary in the level of salt and other seasonings used; season if necessary or desired, to taste.

Pour mixture into prepared pan, smoothing and flattening it with a spatula so the surface is even. Bake for 40 to 55 minutes, or until surface has set and has turned a bit golden, or to desired level. Note: I baked mine for 50 minutes but because all brands of artichokes and the quantity of oil in the jar, the brand and amount of moisture in the red peppers, how finely the cheese is grated, the amount of moisture in the spinach, and how absorbent the breadcrumbs are can greatly effect baking times; as can desired browning and crisping level. The oven temperature is kept a bit lower, too, which is more forgiving in terms of baking times not having to be exact.

Substitute most any vegetable, fresh of frozen, into these such as corn, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, minced garlic cloves, tomatoes, carrots, finely diced or shredded potatoes; add diced tofu, pre-cooked chicken or meatballs. Anything that needs to be cleared out of your freezer or refrigerator can likely be incorporated.

To keep vegan, use two vegan flax eggs or skip the flax eggs and use about 1/3 cup vegan sour cream or cream cheese; and use vegan cheese. To keep gluten-free, replace the breadcrumbs with almond flour, oat flour, corn meal, or use your favorite gluten-free flour blend.

[/print_this]

Related Recipes:

Spinach & Artichoke Dip (No-Bake, Fat Free, Vegan) – the easiest dip you will ever make in about 90 seconds flat

Stovetop Hot Pepper Jelly (Vegan, GF, Fat-Free) – I love peppers in any form and this is a very do-able canning recipe

Hot Pepper Jelly (Vegan, GF, Fat-Free) – My first attempt at true canning, with a water bath; glad I did it because pepper jelly is worth it but the stovetop recipe (above) is much faster

Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata (GF)

Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Casserole – Scott’s idea of a perfect meal; baked eggs and potatoes and toss in some cheese

Chips and Cheese Chili Casserole

Do you like spinach and artichoke dip?

If you have a favorite recipe for it, or any spinach or artichoke recipe, link it up. Like chocolate chip cookies, everyone makes theirs a little differently and I always enjoying hearing about the variations since I love it so much.

Do you have a favorite party appetizer, dip, dessert, or something you bring to parties that people go nuts over?

Link it up and if you’re in need for an easy recipe for any Fourth of July, Labor Day, or other parties you’re having, try these squares.

Have a great holiday week!

70 Responses to “Spinach Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Cheesy Squares”

Michele Sparrow — July 1, 2012 at 11:42 am

Those look outstanding! I am LOVING the plates you put them on! They look like Anthro plates! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 1st, 2012 at 11:58 am

And yes, you have a good eye for dishes :) I went on a little shopping trip a few weeks ago. Decided to break these out for this shoot. A little “busy” but I liked it :)

Amber K — July 1, 2012 at 11:55 am

I LOVE spinach and artichoke dip. More than any one person should. Which is funny to me because I’m not a huge fan of spinach or artichokes unless they are in things like dip!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 1st, 2012 at 11:57 am

I like them both but in dip…just keep me away from the bowl :)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — July 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm

This should be a required dish at family events!

Marina@ Picnic at Marina — July 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Hi Averie, those squares are lovely, and it’s right up my alley. I love those kind of meals, we all do, and on our Sunday morning that’s what we usually have: any available vegetables mixed with eggs and cheese, quick bake, and the Sunday lunch is ready. I often use my leftover roasted vegetables during this season. And yes, I do love spinach-artichoke dip. Five stars to you creative marketing! :)

Eileen — July 1, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Spinach-artichoke heart dip is really the best, isn’t it? I occasionally just make myself a pan, and totally eliminate competing with party guests. :) These squares remind me of frittata–beaten egg plus all the best vegetables–love them!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 1st, 2012 at 1:12 pm

they are similar to the frittata I posted a few months ago but they have a much denser bite, far less “egg-ey” and far more spinach and artichoke dip in bar form vibe.

Heather (Where's the Beach) — July 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Ok that looks freaking perfect. Love love artichokes and roasted red bell peppers with spinach. Such a great flavor and texture combo no matter how you make it. This would be so much fun for a Sunday brunch with friends.

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — July 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I am totally going to have to try this! Have a super week ahead girl!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — July 1, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I love the portability of these! And I think I could house an entire bowl full of spinach artichoke dip too. In fact, my friend threw a halloween party the other year and she had it all ready to go into the oven and I helped her “taste” it before she baked it… well, we ended up eating IT ALL pre baked and it was AMAZING. So, I think I’d love these squares cold too! I don’t have a go-to spinach artichoke dip but I must say that I need FULL FAT cheeses in mine… it just doesn’t taste the same being “light!”

Gorgeous dishware used for these squares too, Averie!

• sally @ sallys baking addiction replied: — July 1st, 2012 at 2:00 pm

although now I am intrigued by the FF option you mention in your spinach and artichoke dip that you linked up!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 1st, 2012 at 3:16 pm

and that’s why I have that other dip, the no-bake one..sometimes immediate consumption must happen!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — July 1, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I love these, how perfect for a party or as a light summer dinner with a salad. Nice creative marketing, too! :)

j3nn — July 1, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I’ve been thinking about spinach, artichoke, (and crab) dip lately. Never would have dawned on me to make it like this. That looks sooo awesome. I love artichokes!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 1st, 2012 at 3:14 pm

and you could totally throw crab or shrimp or even salmon (all in a can, foil-pack — I’m too frugal to buy high end stuff JUST to throw in a baked dip) – but yeah so flexible!

Cassie — July 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm

This is such a fabulous way to enjoy spinach and artichokes together. Love the added roasted red peppers too!

lynn @ the actor's diet — July 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

i recently threw together a spinach, artichoke and brie dip the other day:

it was fast and delicious!

Ellen — July 1, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Those squares look terrific! As for great party things, I’m writing this from the green room of my play where they are devouring the cookie dough dip I brought in…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 1st, 2012 at 3:13 pm

cookie dough dip probably even trumps spinach & artichoke dip!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — July 1, 2012 at 3:07 pm

These look unreal! Love this idea!

Kelli@kellird.com — July 1, 2012 at 3:56 pm

This looks like PERFECT husband food!!!!!

Qt — July 1, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Wow…mouth watering!

Paula — July 1, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Another great recipe Averie! I think I have my 4th of July menu planned now–salmon cakes and these spinach artichoke squares. Your blog makes meals (and desserts) easy! There are so many good things to try, sometimes it’s hard to decide what to make next!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 2nd, 2012 at 2:06 am

salmon cakes and these squares would actually be great together for a party! LMK what ends up on your menu and thanks for the compliments :)

Marcia @Frugal Healthy Simple — July 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Wow, that casserole looks SOOO good. And I’d like to see you and I mow through a bowl of spinach and artichoke dip. The chips and crackers are only a vessel. I don’t ever order the stuff for a good reason…

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — July 1, 2012 at 8:34 pm

YUM. I am the same way with spinach and artichoke dip! I could eat that for dinner and be perfectly satisfied…but now I can really eat it for dinner and feel less guilty about polishing off an entire batch of dip! This is awesome!

Jess — July 1, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Oh that is making me hungry! The recipe seems quite simple, which is great for me! Love roasted peppers!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 2nd, 2012 at 2:04 am

It IS simple…it’s one bowl and 5 mins of prep and you’re done!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — July 1, 2012 at 9:27 pm

You love of spinach and artichoke dip is similar to my love of cilantro lime mayonnaise (I am actually a huge fan of spinach and artichoke dip as well). I have been pairing that up with everything I can get my hands on from burgers to sandwiches.

I am loving the look of this dish and I of course, love the step-by-step photos. I also love that you picked up everything form TJ’s, easy peasy. I am so going to make this recipe and maybe even eat the whole thing by myself (not in one sitting mind you, that would be piggy).

I am loving your savory recipes. You are a very healthy eater so it’s nice to get some new healthy recipe ideas from you.

xoxo,
    Jackie

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 2nd, 2012 at 2:04 am

cilantro lime mayonnaise – I was just on Pinterest yesterday and came across a recipe for that and went to the girl’s site and commented how good it looked and it really takes something for me to click off one of those Pinterest cubes and onto a site given the thousands of cubes I can scroll thru in a day!

TJ’s is my go-to for everything I possibly can get there! Savory recipes…well, I prefer to post desserts but I know others don’t always want to see them so I try to mix it up :)

Kathryn — July 2, 2012 at 1:34 am

These sound so tasty, I love little party foods like this!

Rosa Michelle — July 2, 2012 at 2:08 am

believe it or not, I never ate artichoke, but after viewing this recipe, I am definitely going to try it, at least once!
    It looks yummy, it sounds yummy, it feels yummy :)

Alysha @ Shesontherun — July 2, 2012 at 5:07 am

I make a lightened up version on spinach artichoke dip all the time. I LOVE IT!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 2nd, 2012 at 9:47 am

that’s along the same lines as the spin & artichoke dip I linked to in the post…except you baked yours. Sometimes lightened up is great because…well…I could polish off a bowl by myself :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — July 2, 2012 at 5:50 am

“Do you like spinach and artichoke dip?” -Yes, it is amazing! I used to eat it a lot. Now that I can’t eat dairy I am working on a dairy-free recipe….I’m experimenting with all sorts of things! fingers crossed it works :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 2nd, 2012 at 9:46 am

you can make these vegan (easily) per my suggestion in the recipe…vegan cheese and flax or chia egg as a binder or even skip it, or a splash of soy milk, whatever you have on hand, and voila, dairy-free

gaileee — July 2, 2012 at 5:52 am

Heh, and don’t forget the plates! Love it!

gaileee

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — July 2, 2012 at 5:59 am

Love this idea – those TJ’s products make it so simple, too!

Katie — July 2, 2012 at 6:03 am

This looks like something I would make and bring to a party or potluck all excited and then my family would all ask “WHAT is that?!?” and then they’d try it, skeptical, and LOVE it!

These are my favorite flavors, especially with some chopped mushrooms in there.

I love the plates, too.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 2nd, 2012 at 9:44 am

You’d love these! This is perfect for you, actually!

Plates = Anthro. Got sick of “wishing” I could have some and decided to just….make a little shopping trip a reality a few weeks ago. Figured this is such a big part of my life (dishes!) that I said I’m worth it :) And bought some.

Bev @ Bev Cooks — July 2, 2012 at 6:54 am

These would soooo be my jam!

dragonmamma/naomi — July 2, 2012 at 7:16 am

Are you eating eggs now, or are those just for the hubby?
    Man, oh, man, do I love eggs; barely a day goes by when I don’t have at least one. By themselves or mixed with other stuff, the possibilities are endless for making them taste and look different every day.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 2nd, 2012 at 9:42 am

Well I bake with eggs in cookies and have been for awhile..I don’t sit down to omelets but as a binder in cookies or something like this, they really are perfect.

Deborah — July 2, 2012 at 7:55 am

I love spinach and artichoke dip, but I really love the peppers in this! And the fact that you can carry it around? Genius!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — July 2nd, 2012 at 9:42 am

and for small kids, PERFECT! And I packed a couple of these up in lunches, better than just another sandwich :)

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — July 2, 2012 at 8:19 am

I am notoriously untrustworthy when it comes to dips. I can nosh on dip and crackers or chips ALL.DAY.LONG. Spinach and artichoke is easily my favorite! These squares look so colorful, and I can practically taste their savory and salty cheesiness and all those wonderful, summertime veggies. I need these for lunch, please! Looks like I’ll be returning to TJ’s later today.

Lily @ Candied-Life — July 2, 2012 at 10:09 am

YUM! Love this combination of flavors and veggies.
    Much easier than fussing over a quiche/crust. This looks delicious and beautiful photographs, love your blog! :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life — July 2, 2012 at 11:00 am

Oh my – I am a total spinach artichoke dip lover as well, so I am super chuffed to see it in square form, where it’s more acceptable to just sit and wolf a whole ton down ;).

Revitalize with Stefania — July 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm

OOOH now this is right up my alley.

Check out my blog for a chance to win a great ebook this week! http://revitalizewithstefania.blogspot.com/2012/07/new-raw-food-diet-ebook-giveaway.html

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 2, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I really like spinach and artichoke dip!! I had some on Friday actually :-)

Vicky — July 3, 2012 at 10:49 am

This sounds delicious! Great combination of flavors! Will have to try this!

Javelin Warrior — July 5, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I’d love to sample one of these healthful squares – wow… There’s such a beautiful mix of colors and tasty flavors! I’m featuring this in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and it’s always fun to be following along with your creations…

Megan Pence — August 1, 2012 at 9:30 am

Wow all of these sound absolutely fantastic Averie! I’m all about artichoke hearts.

Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats — September 6, 2012 at 8:42 am

I just found your blog and happy I did! I’m putting this on my dinner rotation STAT.

La Torontoise — October 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Just done these squares today; gorgeous!