10 Smores Day Recipes

I’m not sure how I managed to miss it, but National Smores Day was Friday, August 10.

In belated homage to what is clearly a day of national importance, here are a ten of my favorite smores or smores-related (heavy on the marshmallow, chocolate, or graham cracker) recipes:

Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars (Vegan & GF options)

Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Smores Bars

Double Chocolate Caramel Corn & Cocoa Rice Krispies Candy Bars (No-Bake with Vegan & GF options)

3 Musketeers Marshmallow Candy-Stuffed White Chocolate Cupcakes with Fluffy Vanilla Buttercream

Magic Eight Bars

Marshmallow Peanut Butter Double Chocolate Pillowtop Bars (GF with Vegan options)

Nutella & Peanut Butter Graham Bars with Chocolate Frosting (No-Bake)

White Chocolate Vanilla Marshmallow Cake Bars

Nutter Butter Special K Bars (No-Bake)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Marshmallow Stuffed Rice Krispies Bars (No Bake)

When was the last time you had smores?

I haven’t had made-over-a-campfire smores in ages, but have made up for it by recreating campfire-style flavors in bar-form, from the comfort of my kitchen. No stinky campfire hair or bug bites required.

I’m also an impatient marshmallow roaster so I tend to just dip the marshmallow into the flames, let it ignite, blacken, blow it out, eat it while burning my mouth and give myself a tummy ache from all that burnt carbon and charcoal. Lovely.

What was the last marshmallow, chocolate, or graham-cracker containing recipe you’ve made or eaten?

Feel free to link up any great recipes you have.

33 Responses to “10 Smores Day Recipes”

Jennifer Jordan — August 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

I firmly believe s’mores should be a food group & on the pyramid! It’s my favorite flavor combo, so…this is a great start to my Monday!!! :)

Mahealani @ Beauty, Brains, and Balance — August 13, 2012 at 9:53 am

Those Magic 8 bars make me want to lick my computer screen! Luckily we just went camping in NorCal a few weeks ago and had s’mores for dessert around the fire two nights in a row. Yum! I did learn a great trick though, which is to use those shortbread biscuits with the chocolate on one side (there’s an awesome gluten-free one!) in lieu of graham crackers. Not the same taste, but a really good twist and very convenient.

Laura Dembowski — August 13, 2012 at 10:48 am

I love marshmallow anything and everything. Homemade marshmallow filling is one of the best things I make and I make it all the time. My guilty pleasure is mini marshmallows melted on Matzo crackers in the oven. There is something incredibly addictive about that sweet and salty, crunchy and gooey combo.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 13, 2012 at 11:13 am

All of these look sinfully delicious!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

The last time I had smores was last year. I would rather eat another hot dog than save room for dessert :-)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — August 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm

yay smores day! i missed the boat on that one too — oh well:) Those magic 8 bars are calling my name!

Amanda @flecksofgreen — August 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I actually just had some last friday on vaca and had no idea it was national s’mores day! I think those special k bars look unbelievable!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm

What a yummy roundup! I’m also an impatient marshmallow toaster–I just can’t seem to get it perfectly golden and crunchy within my impatient five-seconds-or-less toasting timeframe, so it’s either severely underdone or super crunchy burned. Lol, oh well!

Ala — August 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Call in a favor, Mr. President–there needs to be a National S’mores MONTH. One of my readers submitted a S’Mores Bar recipe for National S’mores Day that looks pretty darn good http://wallflourgirl.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/nedfm-challenge-day-10-smores/ I’m going to have to give all of these and hers a go. Let self-declared National S’mores Year begin!

Paula — August 13, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I think the last time I had a “real” s’more was about 2 yrs ago at an outdoor fall party. I prefer making a close approximation of them in my pleasant smelling, temperature controlled kitchen! I’m not a big fan of the bonfire smell on me, but I usually stay close to keep warm. As always, all those bars look incredible–especially the white chocolate marshmallow cake bars. I think I have white chocolate in my brain from your last few posts!

Erin Motz — August 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I probably haven’t eaten s’mores since I was about 10! I went camping with my family at Disney and we totally did the cheesy camping activities… I could definitely go for some now! They’re definitely one of those foods that take you back to your childhood! :)

deirdre — August 13, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Numero nueve por favor! They all look so good…but I have to make that my pick.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 13th, 2012 at 6:33 pm

those ARE a really good pick – havent made them in years – must change that!

vanillasugarblog — August 13, 2012 at 5:49 pm

wow.
    you’ve got the smore category down pat!
    i think we need one with coconut.
    seriously! ;-)

Katie — August 13, 2012 at 7:06 pm

gah these all look to die for. I’m trying to be good and not eat sweets and this post is not helping!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — August 13, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Oh dear, I haven’t had any smores in ages, 3-4 years for sure. We had girls and kids camp out on the ranch, and in the evening our kids made smores for us, then we started to make our own. We had so much fun, and I think adults enjoyed it even more because we stayed at the campfire pit long into the night, making all kinds of smores, while sipping some good wine… Ah, such a good memories! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Wow! Everything looks out of this world! I just love smores! I haven’t had real smores since i was in my 20’s, oh how i miss the burnt marshmallow with chocolate! Yum!!

Katie — August 13, 2012 at 8:33 pm

It’s funny – I actually thought of you on friday and wondered why no homage to the s’more. Better late than never!

I ate the crap out of some smores a couple years ago. I think I ate 4 or 5 and almost made myself sick. I’m starting to feel sick just thinking back on it.

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry — August 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Ahh smores…so many wonderful childhood memories! I used to make sure an entire bag was prepared for making smores before letting my mom pack up the car and go camping.

Michele Sparrow — August 13, 2012 at 9:33 pm

The white chocolate marshmallow cake bars are seriously the most amazingly perfect bar. All the right things going on there. I made those for a party we had here for a bunch of teenagers and I am not kidding, I made 2 recipes worth and they were gone in 15 minutes. White chocolate, vanilla, marshmallow, sweet, yummy deliciousness…wow. What is not to love there?! I think that bar recipe is my favorite out of all of yours, Averie.

We had smores fixings out on July 4 and all the kids had fun roasting their marshmallows over our fire pit and smushing all the other ingredients together and getting all sticky! :-)

Love the recipe roundup!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 13th, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I love this story – thank you! And yes, as I told one other reader, that recipe is one of my faves ever, that I have ever ever posted about (or perhaps made in my life!) and it inspired another (few!) cake bar-style recipes. But that one is sort of like the Grandmother of them all :) The Matriarch. Glad you agree!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — August 13, 2012 at 9:50 pm

You rarely miss these special days, so I forgive you! I just can’t believe there are so many of these foodie days out there. Being fashionably late is totally okay when you bring out desserts such as these!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 14th, 2012 at 6:07 am

I know, I was 2 days late on Smores Day – the horrors of almost forgetting such a special day! :) eek!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 14, 2012 at 3:19 am

amazing, amazing round up Averie!!!! I gotta try those pb cocoa krispie s’mores bars! i have all of the ingedients on hand. I actually JUST had a s’more this weekend! With those GIANT campfire marshmallows. Not the large marshmallows, the giant ones… they are like the size of a fist! have you seen them anywhere? My favorite s’more recipe are the peeps s’mores I made a few months ago for Easter… or the s’mores puppy chow I made last month, which I made again this past weekend! Or your deep dish golden grahams s’mores. I’ve never made it myself BUT something tells me I’d die and go to heaven with that marshmallowy mess!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 14th, 2012 at 6:03 am

those G.Grahams Bars are the definition of a hot mess- but oh so good

and the PB Cocoa Krispies ones are probably my highest viewed recipe, ever. It’s between those and two others that are a tie – but people love those things! I wanna try YOUR smores!

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 14, 2012 at 5:04 am

What a drool worthy list!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — August 14, 2012 at 5:23 am

Love these!

luvwhatyoudo — August 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I will definitely be saving this post. What a fantastic collection of recipes.

I love this no bake S’mores bar!

And these incredible authentic S’mores bars!