Baked Peach and Nectarine Donuts with White Chocolate

Before leaving for Aruba, I did what any normal person would do.

I made donuts.

I had a countertop full of ripe peaches and nectarines and although I thought about making jam with them, that was even a bit much for me.

So I did the next best thing with them.

Make donuts, of course.

And they were looking a little naked so I splattered them jazzed them up with creamy melted white chocolate. Peaches and cream go together, after all.

And no baking project would be complete without spilling a jar of sprinkles.

In this case, I managed to get them on the donuts. Most of them, anyway.

They turned out light, airy, and delicate.

If love density in my brownies and banana bread, but in homemade donuts, I prefer them lighter. Unless it’s a Krispy Kreme but that’s a whole different animal and one cannot compare baked to fried donuts.

I made them using a pineapple upside-down-cake approach. I diced one peach and one nectarine into small cubes (didn’t even bother peeling them), sprayed the wells of the donut pan very well, placed cubes in the bottom of the wells and prayed that when the time came for the donuts to release, that they would.

I poured batter over the top of the fruit and baked while I waited with fingers crossed, hoping that the fruit underneath the batter wasn’t going to stick, burn, or prevent the donuts from setting up.

I had just a little bit of extra batter, too much to throw out but not enough for another donut, so I took a big pinch of diced fruit, placed it in a muffin liner, and poured the batter over it and baked one lone little muffin-ish thingy.

It had Skylar’s name written all over it.

After they came out of the oven, I let the donuts cool for about 15 minutes in the donut pan, I loosed them with a spatula rather than a knife so I wouldn’t scratch up my pan, and they popped right out. Whew.

I melted some white chocolate, got the sprinkles out, and went to town.

Scott loved these, and he’s not that into peaches, so that’s saying something. He kept raving about the texture. I was just happy to use up some spare fruit before the trip.

[print_this]

Baked Peach and Nectarine Donuts with White Chocolate Drizzle and Sprinkles (Inspired by Baked Vanilla Donuts with Vanilla Glaze and Baked Orange Banana Coconut Donuts)

Makes 6 to 7 donuts in this Wilton doughtnut pan or 6 donuts + 1 small muffin

3/4 cup fresh peaches or nectarines, diced (I used half of one peach and half of one nectarine, each with the skin kept on)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed

1 teaspoon baking powder

pinch salt, optional

1 tablespoon butter, melted

1 egg

1/4 cup cream and 1 tablespoon cream or milk, plus additional if necessary

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup white chocolate chips, for drizzle

1 tablespoon vegetable shortening, optional

1/4 cup sprinkles, for garnishing

Preheat oven to 325F degrees, spray a 6-count donut pan very well with cooking spray; set aside.

Dice the peaches and/or nectarines into small cubes and evenly distribute and place the fruit in the bottom of each donut cavity.

In a large bowl, add flour, sugars, baking powder, salt, and stir to combine; set aside.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter on high power, about 1 minute. Wait for the butter to cool for 1 minute (so you don’t scramble the egg). Add the egg, cream, vanilla, and whisk to combine. Pour wet mixture over dry, folding until just combined; do not overmix or donuts will be tough. Batter should be thick, but not as thick as cookie dough. Add a splash of cream or milk if necessary to thin batter slightly.

Fill each donut pan cavities with batter, divided evenly; fill each about 3/4 of the way full. If there is a small amount of excess batter, either discard it or make 1 muffin, or make 1 additional donut in another pan.

Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until doughnuts have risen, the tops have turned slightly golden, and are springy when touched. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow donuts to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before removing them. If they are a bit stuck, rather than using a knife and scratching your pan, use a spatula to gently dislodge them.

Combine the white chocolate and shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat on high power in 20 to 30 second bursts to melt, stopping after each burst to stir until chocolate can be stirred smooth. White chocolate can be stubborn to melt and it scorches easily; using shortening helps it to become and stay smoother. Drizzle melted chocolate over each donut, divided equally. Before chocolate sets up, garnish each donut with sprinkles, divided evenly.

To make gluten-free, use your favorite gluten free flour blend. To make vegan, use a flax egg, melted margarine, and use a confectioners’ sugar-based glaze rather than the white chocolate glaze.

[/print_this]

Related Recipes:

Ironically, in the two days before we went to Aruba the last time, right before Christmas 2011, I made Baked Eggnog Donuts with Vanilla Rum Glaze with leftover eggnog I had. From eggnog to peaches, crazy how I put my leftovers and extras to use in the form of donuts, two trips in a row.

Baked Vanilla Donuts with Vanilla Glaze – If you fried these, they would taste just like a Krispy Kreme. As it stands, they’re baked and pretty darn close.

Baked Cinnamon Bun Donuts with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze – I love Cinnabon cinnamon rolls, which inspired these donuts

Baked Orange Banana Coconut Donuts with Orange Coconut Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze - fresh, light, and use up ripe bananas

Apricot Butterscotch White Chocolate Peanut Butter-Filled Sandwich Cookies  – Something about the peach and nectarine chunks in the donuts reminds me of these cookies with chunky apricots

Have you ever made donuts?

Feel free to link up your favorite recipes.

I never knew how easy donuts were to make until I tried about a year and a half ago.  Quicker than muffins and just as easy.

For ten bucks, pick up a donut pan and get creative. Between the donuts themselves, and frostings and glazes, there are infinite possibilities. Sort of like cupcakes or muffins, the flavors and combinations are endless.

92 Responses to “Baked Peach and Nectarine Donuts with White Chocolate”

Baker Street — August 7, 2012 at 2:47 am

Absolutely divine! I LOVE the idea of peach and nectarine donuts! :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 7, 2012 at 3:13 am

These are lovely! And I’m soooo jealous of your Aruba trip!! As if you got to go AGAIN!!!

Paula — August 7, 2012 at 4:20 am

I’ve never made donuts–but I have BB&B coupons so might consider adding a donut pan to my baking gear. Peach-nectarine donuts have summer written all over them–and drizzled with white chocolate (perfection!)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 6:03 am

yes with your coupon, you’ll be set back a whopping 8 bucks give or take and you will LOVE it! Even if you only do it a few times, worth the fun :)

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — August 7, 2012 at 4:51 am

I love home made donuts, and I love that you put peaches and nectarines in yours. Such a perfect summer treat!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free — August 7, 2012 at 5:18 am

Peach donuts?! Holy fazoli….like a peaches and cream in portable form! I like it :D

And no, I have yet to make any donuts! sigh…..

katie @ KatieDid — August 7, 2012 at 5:32 am

Haven’t jumped on the donut bandwagon yet but i love how they look in pictures and would probably have a field day coming up with flavors and styling them for a photoshoot!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 6:01 am

They’re extremely forgiving in pics. Trust me. Any little holes or bumps can be glazed right over and then there’s sprinkles :)

Kristen — August 7, 2012 at 5:44 am

We can’t be having naked cupcakes now, can we? So glad you found a solution for that!
    These flavors… brilliant!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 6:01 am

LOL – and pretty sure you’d have found the same solution :)

Cee — August 7, 2012 at 5:47 am

These look so good! We have a mini donut pan, and I’d love to make some of these with my daughter. We’ve only made chocolate and plain wholewheat, and haven’t tackled any glazes or frostings yet.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 6:01 am

A donut really isn’t official til it has glaze or frosting – have fun with your daughter making something yummy!

Nicole @ Healthy Way to Cook — August 7, 2012 at 6:08 am

Oh my goodness. These look INCREDIBLE. Amazing flavor combination too! I have to try this out when I have some time, preferably before peaches & nectarines go out of season!

TidyMom — August 7, 2012 at 6:10 am

you have me drooling Averie! these are gorgeous!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 6:13 am

Ahhh, that’s such high praise coming from you. Thanks, Cheryl!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — August 7, 2012 at 6:18 am

These look sooooo good! I could live on peaches and nectarines!! ;)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — August 7, 2012 at 6:23 am

We’re on the same peach wavelength today. They’re sooooo good right now I can’t get enough!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — August 7, 2012 at 6:33 am

Ahhhh, nectarines are my FAVORITE summer fruit!!!! These look awesome!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 7, 2012 at 6:58 am

omg these look amazing! Hope you had a fabulous trip

Katherine — August 7, 2012 at 7:13 am
    Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 7, 2012 at 7:36 am

I’m drooling, Averie! These are gorgeous. Love me some nectarines!

Audra@The-Baker-Chick — August 7, 2012 at 7:39 am

Ooh I love these Averie! You sure have made some yummy looking donuts in the past too. I think it’s time to get me a donut pan!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 11:49 am

For all you cook and bake and are baking your way thru the Tosi book even, a donut pan is pretty much mandatory for a baker like you!

vanillasugarblog — August 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

girl those are gorgeous!
    like works of art!
    so so pretty!!
    “almost” too pretty to eat. lol

Meghan — August 7, 2012 at 8:15 am

These look fantastic & so pretty with the sprinkles!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 7, 2012 at 8:32 am

Making donuts… should be the answer to all of life’s problems, no? Although a nectarine/peach jam would be outstanding, I don’t think you went wrong with donuts including some of my favorites. Those sprinkles? GORGEOUS. They make everything pretty. :)

I like this donut recipe! It’s a new one for you… less flour and including brown sugar… which, if my memory serves me correctly, you didn’t add to the vanilla donuts. I can just *see* how moist these are.

And lucky Skylar! That chopped fruit/batter ratio is how I prefer things. I like a ton of fruit chunks in my muffins.. more than the normal person, actually! I’m thinking peaches would be a yummy addition to the cinnamon bun donuts. With white chocolate frosting and sprinkles of course ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 11:48 am

I used brown sugar b/c I didn’t use buttermilk and since buttermilk adds moisture and heaviness to the batter, I thought maybe brown sugar would do that, in a way, too…and also b/c you know I just love it.

And donuts tend to get dry unless they’re fried so I figured the extra moisture from the brown sugar couldn’t hurt. Plus it just went with that whole peaches ‘n cream/cobbler in a donut vibe I was trying to create. I thought of you when I was shooting these b/c of the white choc & sprinkles!

Catalina @ Cake with Love — August 7, 2012 at 8:41 am

A peach and nectarine donut with sprinkles on top!!?? What else can scream more summer, beach and Aruba than these amazing flavors together!! Please ship me one to NJ, I will refund you the shipping cost!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 11:43 am

LOL – they’re so easy. Just make some and save the shipping :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 7, 2012 at 9:22 am

These donuts are so happy, I just love them!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — August 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

oh my gosh those look delish!! i love the combo of peach and nectarines! two of my fav summer fruits!

B @ Crags and Veggies — August 7, 2012 at 9:52 am

These look delicious, and what a great way to use peaches. I’m up to my eyeballs in them and we’re tired of peach crisp!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 11:40 am

and LOL that I havent made any crisp yet – we ate them or smoothie’ed them or donut’ed them :)

Katie — August 7, 2012 at 10:05 am

I’m not normally into fruity baked things like this, but DAMN this looks and sounds so good!!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — August 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

Could these be any prettier or more luscious looking?? Ah I love the summery flavors!!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — August 7, 2012 at 11:08 am

But of course. Normal people make donuts when they’re about to travel – it’s the only way to make the traveling do-able.

I was SO thrilled when I saw these donuts on The Kitchn’s delicious links – these donuts are the PERFECT summer treat! Congrats on the mention and thanks for the recipe, A.!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 11:40 am

thanks for being the bearer of great news – I didn’t see that until you told me, so thanks!!! :)

Cassie — August 7, 2012 at 12:11 pm

These are beyond unique Averie! I love baked donuts but sometimes I feel pretty bored with the same ‘ol recipe. Adding fresh fruit is brilliant!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

and normally I only use white sugar and buttermilk; for these I added a little brown and used cream not buttermilk – gotta keep things interesting!

Hannah — August 7, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Too funny! I was faced with the same problem (too many ripe peaches) and decided to make a cake out of them yesterday. I might have to recreate that scenario now so I can try out your approach. Doughnuts really do beat all!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Oh I bet your cake is amazing! Everything you make knocks my socks off!

Laura Dembowski — August 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

These look killer! I love peaches and donuts and white chocolate. I smiled as soon as I saw the post title and couldn’t wait to read about them.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — August 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm

So, so so pretty!

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Wow, these look amazing! I’m drooling and I’ve just had lunch! Awesome job. :-)

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) — August 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Ever since I got one of those donut pans, I love baking them :D Great recipe!

Ala — August 7, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I’m yet another unassuming folk who has not yet boarded the donut pan train…but this recipe is a tempter! For now, any thoughts about the merits of making this into a batch of muffin donuts or mini hole-less donuts (straight into a muffin tin and only halfway full)? It looks like it worked out great for Skylar’s muffin-donut, so I was just wondering if the texture changed at all. Thanks for another scrumptious recipe!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I think the batter is going to be fine for muffins – Skylar snarfed that one down quickly so you’d have to ask her :) And she’s 5 and anything with sprinkles is amazing :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — August 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm

YUM! I need to just give in and buy a donut pan. I have been putting it off due to the fear of always making donuts and eating them haha.

Marina@Picnic at Marina — August 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Mmm, what a great recipe, and lovely doughnuts! All sprinkled they look very cute and colorful, Aruba-cute! :)
    I love the photo of nectarines. Did you use macro lenses? :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 7:58 pm

no my 24-70 and my 50 mm 1.2 are the only 2 lenses I use

• Marina@Picnic at Marina replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 8:02 pm

It looks very appealing, I want to grab that nectarine off the screen… Thanks! :)

jackie @ marin mama cooks — August 7, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Girl! These are so colorful and fun. I love everything about them and the photos are perfection!
    Jackie

Michele Sparrow — August 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I need to get me a regular sized donut pan. I only have the mini and those BIG donuts look outstanding! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Well they’re not even that big, the size of a regular store-bought donut, but definitely bigger than mini’s (and far easier & less tedious!)

Alisa — August 7, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I’ve been taunted by your email updates for the past couple of months Averie! I’ve been working on our new website, and am finally at a point where I can breathe and come check out all that you have been making. Seriously, you amaze me with your baking skills and how awesome your photography has become!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 7th, 2012 at 10:35 pm

Was wondering what you’ve been up to – and now I know. Well congrats on all your irons in the fire. Website changes or tech anything gives me sweaty palms -haha! Thanks for the sweet compliments :)

Jen @ Savory Simple — August 8, 2012 at 4:38 am

I’ve been debating buying that doughnut pan! You’ve convinced me. These look delicious.

Tamara — August 8, 2012 at 5:42 am

Oh. Wow. I don’t have a donut pan but still, these look so yummy, I might have to play with muffins. I’m enjoying my overnight oats topped with a ripe nectarine each morning this week, and it’s been just divine! I’m definitely in the mood for more peachy, nectarine-y goodness!

megan @ whatmegansmaking — August 8, 2012 at 6:13 am

how fun are these?? They look wonderful :)

Bree — August 8, 2012 at 9:04 am

I love that you first of all bake these and secondly add fruit. You are kicking dunkin donuts booty!

meatballs & milkshakes — August 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

Yum! I can’t wait to get a doughnut pan, these look incredible!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 8, 2012 at 10:36 am

I love the ‘muffinish thingy’ lol and the sprinkles totally liven these babies up!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 8th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

and they camouflage any little imperfections in the glaze that happens when I’m trying to be neat but am not quite as neat as I wish :)

Rachel Cooks — August 8, 2012 at 10:49 am

These look SO good and I love that picture of the nectarines! Gorgeous!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 8, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Mmmm, I love peaches in baking, but have never baked with them myself. I have made donuts a couple times – red velvut donuts.

Lizzie — August 11, 2012 at 9:27 am

Made these this morning with a few changes based on what I had around.
    First, I used just peaches and I didn’t add the white chocolate topping. I also used almond milk instead of cream. Finally, I added some diced walnuts and coconut flakes to the batter. Really delicious! Thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 9:33 am

Almond milk instead of cream – glad it worked (no dairy protein so always interesting how flours bind and things rise – good to know it was a success!) and coconut flakes — mmmm, sounds great! Thanks for the report back!

• Lizzie replied: — August 13th, 2012 at 6:16 am

I wasn’t sure how it would work, either, but I was pleased with the result :)
        I’m sure they would have been incredible with cream.

The Ninja Baker — August 16, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Thank you for your fun photos and recipe…You’ve inspired me to create mandarin orange and matcha donuts. =)

Heather's Creative Concoctions — August 29, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Obviously thats what any normal person does before they are going to be in a bikini ;) I like how you think and your photography is gorgeous as always. Just the mentioning of krispy kreme has made me realize I haven’t had one in over 5 years!! Umm that will need to change asap.