Just Nuts

Yesterday, August 3, was a double-feature on the National Food Holiday scene.

1. National Watermelon Day

and I am not making this one up…

2. Grab Some Nuts Day

How about grabbing a handful of nuts or party mix in honor of the holiday:

Coconut Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Almonds (vegan, GF)

Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds (vegan, GF)

Vanilla Cake Batter and White Chocolate Chip Caramel Corn

Buttery Toasted Captain Crunchies (Vegan & GF options)

Peanut Butter Chex Mix, aka “Puppy Chow” (vegan, GF)

White Chocolate Vanilla Peanut Butter Puppy Chow (GF)

Homemade Peanut Butter (just peanuts – no added oil, salt, or sugar)

Do you like nuts? Favorite kind or way to enjoy them?

I love nuts and could eat them by the handful. A jar of good old-fashioned Planter’s mixed nuts, honey roasted peanuts, Cajon-seasoned or spicy nuts (TJ’s makes a few amazing blends that I can’t even buy anymore because they’re so addictive) you name it, I love them.  However, I have to watch it or I wind up with a belly-ache since nuts don’t love me as much as I love them.

However, I despite nuts in my baked goods or desserts. I hate walnuts in brownies or banana bread, dislike any type of nut in cookies, don’t like pecans in pie (I’d like a pecan-less pie, just the filling). Nuts and desserts just shouldn’t intersect for me.

Thanks for the Bella Bars Giveaway entries & enjoy your weekend!

31 Responses to “Just Nuts”

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — August 4, 2012 at 6:22 am

Nuts are nature’s perfect food! Especially for a vegetarian. I am down with them in just about any shape, size, or variety, except for walnuts in baked goods. There, they’re pure evil. :) Hope you had a wonderful National Watermelon Day and Grab Some Nuts Day (where do they come up with these?!)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 4th, 2012 at 7:54 am

I was LOLing the entire time I was typing the post, thinking the same thing. LOL

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 4, 2012 at 7:20 am

I do love nuts pretty much all of them. Almonds are prob my top fave though. TJs has some honey sesame seed the I love. Good thing I don’t have a TJs nearby LOL

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 4th, 2012 at 7:52 am

I know those exact things – sticks with seeds melded into them. LOVE them. They’re highly addictive, espi with a drink in hand :)

j3nn — August 4, 2012 at 7:40 am

I want to eat that watermelon in the first picture soooo badly right now. I’m thirsty + hungry and that should do it! I love nuts, not sure if my stomach is nuts about them though! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 4th, 2012 at 7:52 am

me too on the nuts – I just can’t hang. Anything more than a bag or two of airplane peanuts and I feel it. I wish I could go nuts over them.

Off to the local markets to see if maybe, just maybe, they have watermelon…

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 4, 2012 at 7:59 am

Ooooh, Averie! I want the white chocolate pb puppy chow + the captain crunchies SO bad right now! And that big juicy melon–that’s the epitome of summer right there.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 4th, 2012 at 10:21 am

knowing you, you would LOVE those capn crunchies – make them (or use up any odds ‘n ends cereal you having laying around) – sort of inspired by the Momofuku Milkbar Cookbook!

Jen — August 4, 2012 at 8:10 am

I came across your blog while looking for an oatmeal cookie recipe – well, I adapted your recipe, made some gluten free and sugar substitutions, adjusted for our high altitude and changed some things around and OH MY GOD. I don’t even eat peanut butter, nor do I eat oatmeal cookies… My boyfriend, a pastry chef, came home from work and declared them the best cookies he’s eaten. So I wanted to say thank you for that but also, I have fallen in love! Your photography.. your writing style.. your blog lay out. It’s all gorgeous, light & airy. Easily my new favorite read! I’ve also loved your photography page with hints & tips about photographing food! I know this had nothing to do with nuts really.. but I do love watermelon!?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 4th, 2012 at 10:20 am

Was it this one? If so, it’s easily one of my top 3 or 4 fave cookies of all time. And needless to say, I’ve baked and sampled thousands. I am so glad you love them. Makes me happy to know! And the fact that your boyf is a pastry chef and said that?! Super high praise – thank you :)

And my photography – well that’s a work in progress. Sometimes it works well, sometimes…no so much. Lol Glad you like it and that I’m your new face read. I blush and I thank you!

Laura Dembowski — August 4, 2012 at 8:30 am

I’m kind of the opposite. I’m not one to sit down to a serving of nuts very often, though the craving does occasionally strike, but I love them in baked goods. However, I always leave them almost whole so that I can pick them out and eat them as I please. I don’t like desserts with little pieces of nuts everywhere; it kind of drives me insane. I’ve become very picky about my baked goods.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 4th, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m highly picky! I have access to so much based on how much I bake, trial, test…and if it’s not perfect, I won’t bother with it! May as well save the calories for when it’s insanely perfect not just ho-hum.

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — August 4, 2012 at 11:05 am

national watermelon day! shoot! missed that one! and i LOVE nuts! cashews are my favorites! i like to amke my own nut butters too — so delish!

Amber K — August 4, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Nuts are amazing on their own. NOT in desserts or breads! There needs to be a law about that… ;)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — August 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Almonds are my favorite. Almond butter…well, actually any nut butter for that matter. Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter is RIDICULOUSLY good. So good he needs to stop making it because my healthy fat intake is increasing at an unhealthy rate. haha!

Katie — August 4, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Hehehe!!!! I am so mature….

I am one of the weirdos of the blog world in that I’m not nuts about nuts (pun intended and I know, totally lame). I like pistachios and cashews, but I don’t like any others. And even those two – I eat if they are around but I never buy them because I don’t crave them.

Peanut butter, plain, no sugar, no flavoring, is all I like for nut butters though. Unless you count tahini and sunflower seed butters, but I don’t because I am a scientist and those are seeds. ;)

Hehehe…..grab some nuts. That will not stop being funny.

Michele Sparrow — August 4, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’m with you, Averie. I always feel like nuts inside a dessert are just so darn unexpected! And I spit out my tea when I read that it is “grab some nuts day!” My teenage boys had a hey day with that one when they asked what I was laughing at ! LOL! :-) On that note, I do love nuts, cashews being my all time favorite. I cannot keep them in the house or I will eat the whole darn bag, but I buy them in little increments and use peanuts in cooking all the time!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 4th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I forgot about cashews – I always have them in the house for raw vegan choc chip cookie dough balls or any raw ‘dough’ making b/c they grind down into the finest powder as you know and are so creamy – and in 2 extra secs you’ll have cashew butter not flour on your hands!

Paula — August 4, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I love all nuts and seeds–the seasoned ones are addictive indeed! I can’t overdo it either or I pay for it later. I’m not a huge fan of nuts in cookies, brownies, etc, but I love them sprinkled on my banana soft serve with chocolate sauce.

Marina@Picnic at Marina — August 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm

We are nuts about nuts, especially walnuts: we eat about 6-7 pounds every month of those! :) My husband also likes almonds, I can only eat “naked” almonds: soaked overnight raw almonds, then skin peeled off. A bit of labor intensive way to enjoy almonds, but that’s the way I like it…
    No Aruba photos today? I love when you put a picture or two in your post from the place… :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 5, 2012 at 10:19 am

grab some nuts day?? are you kidding me? oh dear god..

my favorite way to enjoy them is in our honey roasted PB! This sounds weird but I’ve actually been dipping baby carrots into that pb recently. it’s actually really, really good!! Or I like nuts on top of salads with some type of asian sesame dressing. :)

Or just in that white chocolate vanilla puppy chow!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 5th, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Ive been dipping carrots and everything else into honey roasted PB for about 20 years :) Nothing weird about that! Asian/sesame/peanut saucey based dressings rock!

Melissa (Better Fit) — August 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

I didn’t know that you don’t enjoy nuts in desserts! I love nuts in any form- nut butters, hand-fulls of nuts and nuts in recipes. Although like you, if I have too many, my stomach doesn’t agree!

Ellen — August 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Oh, I like the idea of toasting the rolls with seasoning! I like jelly, albeit I’ve never cared for strawberry too much-but blackberry, or cherry preserves, love that stuff. Either way these are adorable:)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 5th, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I love all jelly. I don’t discriminate :) And these would be good with whatever jelly strikes your fancy! (the strawberry jelly rolls, even tho this is the nuts post – I knew what you meant)

Ellen — August 5, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Oh wait, I thought I was replying to the latest post but I scrolled too far, apparently. Anyway, I was talking about the strawberry jelly rolls!

luvwhatyoudo — August 5, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I love everything with nuts. I don’t think I can bake without them. I made puppy chow with the TJ’s Cocoa Almond spread and it is so good! It is hiding in the freezer with my white chocolate puppy chow :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 5th, 2012 at 7:31 pm

mmmm, I get it’s so good! like a double-chocolate from the spread and then the choc chips!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 6, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I do like nuts, and my favourite are probably pistachios or cashews. My favourite nut butter is peanut butter, although I suppose peanuts are not really nuts …

Workout Planner — August 15, 2012 at 8:16 am

I think that you were right on with this article. Two things I like about the post, one it is straight forward and two it does not attempt to promote anyone’s position particularly. Another good post Averie.