Little Helper

Mommy’s little helper was hard at work in her kitchen while I was in my this morning.

Hmmm, where did I put the brown sugar?

It’s always a good to thing to cut corn off the cob so it doesn’t get stuck in your teeth as easily.

Make sure to use your pizza cutter for it.

Five going on fifteen and loves to use her pink fuzzy blanket as her yoga mat, demands a pink ponytail holder, and wears pink plastic rings to the pool. It’s been ages since I posted pictures of her, and she was just adorable this morning and was melting me all day.

The heat in my kitchen was melting me, too, so went to the pool for a bit and had Taste of the Tropics Smoothies because it’s a scorcher out there.

And now we’re’ off to the beach.

Just stopping in for a quick snack.

I made something kind of like these Magic Eight Bars – recipe coming soon

Thanks for the Vegan a la Mode Cookbook Giveaway entries

Do you remember helping your mom or dad or someone else in the kitchen?

I sure do and my grandma, too. Now that I’m the mom, there is nothing better than having my little helper at my side until she starts asking me all kinds of questions when I’m trying to convert Celsius into Fahrenheit in my head and hoping I do it right so I don’t char the goods.

61 Responses to “Little Helper”

1. Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — August 8, 2012 at 12:08 pm (#

I always helped my dad in the kitchen – he was the cook while I was growing up!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Well lucky guy to have you at his side – I bet he CHERISHES those memories now!

2. Janae @ Bring-Joy — August 8, 2012 at 12:19 pm (#

Have fun at the beach! We spent several days at the beach last week & are still finding sand in the oddest places.

3. Rachel — August 8, 2012 at 12:28 pm (#

Wow I cannot believe how grown up Skylar is looking! Bless her heart.

I used to help my mum and nana in the kitchen….they pretty much taught me everything I know!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I know – time.flies.so.fast!

4. Karly — August 8, 2012 at 12:31 pm (#

She is just adorable!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

thanks, Karly. She’d go ga-ga over your choc-PB week :) Right along with me!

5. Carole @ The Sweet Chick — August 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm (#

She’s too cute. My daughter likes to help out too.

6. Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) — August 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm (#

Yep, I too helped my mom in the kitchen. I also had a play kitchen :D

7. Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm (#

Such cute pics! Ironically I never had a play kitchen – guess I’ve been making up for lost time :)

8. Katie — August 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm (#

You’re killing me with these photos! I can’t believe how adorable Skylar is! That hair!!

I was always helping my mom in the kitchen. She used to call me her “little baker”. Not surprised, are you? ;)

9. Bev @ Bev Cooks — August 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm (#

She. Is. So. Darned. Presh.

we call her PRESH!

10. Victoria @ The Pursuit of Hippieness — August 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm (#

Skylar is growing up so fast!

My mom and I always made Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chip cookies together, and my favorite thing EVER was to stir… and obviously lick the spoon at the end.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

my mom used the same recipe with a circa 1970s split pea green kitchenaid mixer and I was her helper and dough eater :)

11. Anna @ On Anna's Plate — August 8, 2012 at 2:29 pm (#

I just can’t get over how looooooong her legs are!!! She’s so beautiful!

12. kris — August 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm (#

omg, Skylar is adorable! and a great little helper :) Looking forward to your new recipe, b/c anything similar to those magic eight bars must be drool-worthy as well!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

they’re almost even better than magic eight bars – not better I guess but different enough. Hard to explain!

13. Angela / Canned Time — August 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm (#

Oh my, she’s grown a foot I think since you last posted her picture, she’s gorgeous!
    I started helping in the kitchen with my mom at 4 or 5. It’s funny cause my Mom and I
    can still spend time in the kitchen for weeks and never have an argument. Nothing else in
    my life now is that peaceful or uncontentious. Skylar is a lucky little girl to have such a great example for her to learn from.
    Have fun!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

sounds like you and your mama have a great relationship and that’s wonderful!

14. Nicole — August 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm (#

SO glad I ran across your blog! These recipes! And your PHOTOS!!! Love it.

xo
    Nicole

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

thanks for finding me and saying hi!

15. katie @ KatieDid — August 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm (#

Her hair is gorgeoussssss! A little jealous!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

It’s Pantene ad worthy, and then some, IMNSHO :)

16. Hannah — August 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm (#

Aw, what a sweetheart! I could sure use a helper in the kitchen like her. :)

17. Erica — August 8, 2012 at 5:10 pm (#

oh my gosh! She is looking so grown up- just beautiful! I used to help my Mom in the kitchen all the time. Fond memories

18. Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 8, 2012 at 5:59 pm (#

I always helped my parents in the kitchen … I loved it. Some of my fondest memories are of baking with my mom.

Mine too :)

19. Marina@Picnic at Marina — August 8, 2012 at 6:32 pm (#

Aww, Averie, she is adorable in all her pink, and with all her pink toys! How cute… :) Oh yes, I was helping my grandmother in the kitchen, and my mother. Kitchen was my favorite place! Still Is my favorite place! :)

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

she’s the pink queen – no matter what color I ask her she wants to wear, 99% of the time, PINK!

20. lindsay — August 8, 2012 at 6:41 pm (#

she is just so gorgeous!! your little helper is become a little lady

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

you’ve “known” her since she was like 18 mos! Time flies, eh!

21. Laura Dembowski — August 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm (#

When I was younger I wanted to do anything and everything in the kitchen to help, and sometimes I fear hinder, my mom. Now we work together most of the time baking and cooking and I don’t know where I’d be without her.

awww, that is so sweet!

22. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm (#

Mommy’s little helper is freaking adorable!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I’ll tell her you said so. She’ll want to see your blog now :)

23. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — August 8, 2012 at 6:56 pm (#

She is such a cute little helper! What a gorgeous day for the beach!

24. Michele Sparrow — August 8, 2012 at 7:10 pm (#

Aww…Skylar looks precious! Nice to see her pretty little face! I love her whole set up. I had all that stuff when I was her age and loved playing with it. She looks like such a happy girl, Averie.

I liked baking cookies with my grandma. We made chocolate crinkles, chocolate chip oatmeal and thumbprints with chocolate kisses, not to mention snickerdoodles and all the Christmas ones, too! Good memories, those…:-)

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

She is SO happy. Such a giggly girl..seriously we call her Miss Giggles!

25. Emily — August 8, 2012 at 7:12 pm (#

What a sweetie pie she is. Lucky to have such a loving, supportive mom. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

26. Jen @ Savory Simple — August 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm (#

I wonder if they make that shirt in my size? She’s a cutie pie.

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

I know – I got it ages ago and I love it!

27. Steve Davis — August 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm (#

They have to start somewhere!! I started my 14 year old son learning 2 years ago!! My 19 year old daughter is another story!! lol

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

How awesome that you’re cooking with your son (and working on your daughter–haha!)

28. Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry — August 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm (#

Ahh these pictures are so precious. My daughter turned 5 yesterday. I am still in shock that my baby girl is growing up on me so fast. I hope you enjoyed the beach today!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

happy bday to your little girl!

29. Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 9, 2012 at 5:45 am (#

she’s getting so big! I loved to help my mom in the kitchen.

30. Sarah — August 9, 2012 at 8:52 am (#

She is so beautiful, Ave, really. How do we stop these girls of ours from growing up?!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Thanks, Sarah, and I know – she’s growing by.the.day. On all levels. Her vocab, her comprehension, her understanding of things that I don’t even want her to understand – wish I could find the stop switch sometimes!

31. sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 9, 2012 at 9:07 am (#

Skylar is getting so big, Averie! She is beautiful. I am jealous of her long blonde hair! Mine doesn’t seem to grow past its current length! And we have a lot in common, my ponytail holders are pink too. ;)

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

her hair grows like a weed – it just grows and grows and her nails. omg. It’s my other FT job just keeping her 20 nails trimmed. Seriously! And my hair doesn’t seem to ever get much longer either. Between the color and the super dry San Diego air it’s dry When I’m in Aruba though, it grows! Lol

32. Shaunna@mamas13minutemile — August 9, 2012 at 9:07 am (#

Forget ice cream…I am a fro yo girl.

33. Shaunna@mamas13minutemile — August 9, 2012 at 9:08 am (#

I follow by email.

34. Shaunna@mamas13minutemile — August 9, 2012 at 9:09 am (#

I follow you on pinterest.

35. Alisa — August 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm (#

Oh my gosh how she’s grown – so cute!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

and you’ve ‘known’ her since she was like 18 mos!

Alisa Reply:

Wowsers, and she’s five now! Time is flying by WAY too fast.

36. Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — August 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm (#

It must be SO rough living by the beach, haha. Your views are incredible. Keep cool, it was 114 today in Scottsdale, AZ!

37. Kait @ yogabeautylife — August 31, 2012 at 8:57 am (#

Even since the last photos you posted, she looks SO grown up!

Averie @ Averie Cooks Reply:

Seriously in two weeks time sometimes she just blossoms!