Malibu Rum Fruit Loops Treats

No matter how old I get, Rice Krispies Treats don’t get old. How could anyone ever outgrow dense cereal bars glued together with gooey, sweet, melted marshmallows and butter?

Or in the case of these treats, gooey, sweet, melted marshmallows and butter with Fruit Loops.

Fruit Loops were a favorite childhood cereal, but they were something special and only served at Grandma’s house. I haven’t bought them in years but saw them in a local Aruban grocery store and the brightly colored ringsĀ beckoned me to place them in my cart.

Drizzled with white chocolate (I’m keeping good on that white chocolate promise) and sprinkles, and these little no-bake bars have many of my favorite ingredients rolled into one.

And let’s not forget the Malibu. It’s almost the weekend, right?

Because what better way to trash up some sugary cereal and sprinkles than to combine them with Malibu Rum?

Don’t mind if I do.

Clearly no one is going to get tipsy from 3 tablespoons of Malibu in an entire pan, but if for some reason adding a splash of Malibu isn’t appropriate for you, simply omit it and make these as virgin Fruit Loops Treats. And I’ll have your share.

Malibu just screams Caribbean Vacation, and since I’m on one, it was only fitting. It adds a hint of coconutty-pineapple flavor to the bars makes me think of spring break in Cancun where $20 all-you-can-drink specials really means, all-you-can-drink-and-still-walk.

I like Malibu much better with Fruit Loops and on my couch than in chintzy plastic cups with watered down orange juice and in smelly clubs.

Because Fruit Loops are larger in size than Rice Krispies, these treats don’t hold together quite as well as Rice Krispies Treats, but the one-of-a-kind flavor of Fruit Loops makes any slight holding together issues a no biggie.

The Malibu-infused marshmallow buttery gooey lovely stuff sinks to the base of the bars and holds them together below while the white chocolate melts into the crevices at the surface and seals them at the top.

The best part of these treats is they’re literally a 5-minutes two-bowl project. One bowl for the marshmallows, butter, Malibu, and cereal; and another for melting the white chocolate.

The hardest part was waiting for them to chill so I could slice into them. I store them in the freezer and the white chocolate hardens and snaps perfectly when I bite into it, the cereal is extra crunchy, the Malibu-infused marshmallow mixture is chilled but doesn’t freeze solid and keeping them cold helps keep them intact better.

Kiddie cereal never tasted so good until it got liquored up.

[print_this]

Malibu Rum Fruit Loops Treats with White Chocolate and Sprinkles (no-bake)

Makes one 9-by-9-inch pan, about 9 generous squares

one 10.5-ounce bag mini marshmallows

1/4 cup butter (half of one stick)

3 tablespoons Malibu Rum*

about 6 cups Fruit Loops Cereal

1/2 cup white chocolate chips

2 tablespoons sprinkles

Prepare a 9-by-9-inch pan by lining it with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the marshmallows and butter and heat on high power to melt, about 90 seconds. Keep a watchful eye because the marshmallows will grow and swell to the top of the bowl. Immediately upon removing the bowl from the microwave, stir vigorously for about 10 seconds to combine the butter and marshmallows. Add the Malibu and stir to combine. Add the cereal, one cup at a time, and toss to coat. (I wanted to keep these gooey so I suggest not more than 6 cups of cereal, possibly only 5. I used about 5 1/2 cups) Pour mixture into prepared pan and lightly pack it down and smooth it with a spatula; set aside.

In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate on high power, about 45 seconds. Stop to stir and heat in 10-second bursts until chocolate can be stirred smooth, taking care not to scorch the chocolate, noting that white chocolate scorches very easily. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the bars with a spoon. Garish with sprinkles before chocolate sets. Place pan in the freezer for about 1 hour or until bars have set up before slicing and serving. Because of the alcohol in the Malibu, these will take a bit longer to set than traditional Krispy Treats to set up. Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. I prefer them chilled and store them in the freezer

*Note: Bars are not intended for children or for those who do not consume alcohol. Bars can be made without alcohol with no recipe adaptations needed, or add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract in it’s place.

[/print_this]

I love Rice Krispies Treats in all forms and ways, and a trip to Aruba just isn’t complete without making a batch. I tend to make at least one batch of Rice Krispies Bars or cereal bars of some form on almost every trip here because they’re no-bake and easy.

Here are a few of my favorite cereal bars:

Double Chocolate Caramel Corn & Cocoa Rice Krispies Candy Bars (No-Bake with Vegan & GF options)

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Marshmallow Stuffed Rice Krispie Bars (No Bake)

Butterscotch Rice Krispies Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting (No Bake)

Deep Dish Double Chocolate Golden Grahams Smores Bars (Vegan & GF options)

Rice Krispies Treats with Vegan Chocolate Frosting (Vegan, GF)

Peanut Butter Cocoa Krispies Smores Bars -One of my highest viewed recipes, thanks to Pinterest

Special K Bars (No Bake) – My grandma’s recipe and one of my favorite treats ever. I never tire of them.

Do you like Rice Krispies treats or any variation of cereal bars?

If you have any favorite recipes using cereal bars, link them up.

I wanted to post these before the weekend just in case you have a summer bbq, party, or are dying to liquor up some kiddie cereal.

Fruit Loops or Malibu – Any fun memories of either?

Fruit Loops remind me of my childhood and my grandma buying them for my sister and I, something my mother would never do.

And Malibu reminds me of spring breaks in Cancun, a trip to Jamaica and to Grand Cayman with Scott almost a decade ago. Sun, fun, and plenty of happy memories.

Thanks for the Vegan a la Mode Cookbook Giveaway entries

89 Responses to “Malibu Rum Fruit Loops Treats”

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — August 9, 2012 at 12:33 am

Oh Averie!! I saw these when you just shared them on FB and had to come leave you a comment!! LOVE this version of the Rice Krispie treat – the Fruit Loops (one of my early adulthood favorites – mom wouldn’t buy them for me as a kid because she was a dental hygienist, so I rebelled when I moved out on my own), the white chocolate and the RUM!! Genius, girl!! You’ve got my brain going on overdrive now thinking of different versions of these incredible treats. I hope I get some sleep tonight and I may need a bowl of Fruit Loops in the morning! ;-)
    Also, I’ve seen improvement in your pictures from when I first started reading your blog. You’ve been working on it, and it shows – they look great! LOVE how the colors in of the Fruit Loops POP! Keep up the great work!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 6:02 am

Glad you’re enjoying the pics, the Malibu, and this version of RKTreats – have fun creating something fabulous!

Karen — August 9, 2012 at 2:19 am

I absolutely love the idea of “dying to liquor up some kiddie cereal” ! These look yummy and what a great way to make a twist on a childhood favourite more adult.

Jess — August 9, 2012 at 2:47 am

I never would have thought to use fruit loops instead of rice krispies. So colourful!! And the Malibu addition is genius…

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 9, 2012 at 5:44 am

Rice Krispie treats were my fave. Loved those suckers. In college my cousin and I would make them at least 3 times a week! Those look like fun. I’m thinking pool party ;-)

katie @ KatieDid — August 9, 2012 at 5:52 am

I’m posting a liquor recipe that I made today, tomorrow, or whenever it happens. It’s fun to jazz things up and keep life interesting with a little booze haha. I have not such fond memories with malibu from my young drinking days… yours sound much better!

shelly (cookies and cups) — August 9, 2012 at 5:55 am

We both had cereal on the brain this morning!!!
    Love Fruit Loops ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 6:01 am

and we both used brightly colored kiddie cereal and white chocolate – great minds think alike!

Katie — August 9, 2012 at 6:32 am

I loved Fruit Loops growing up. Those, and Lucky Charms, Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch, and Trix were pretty much my staples in the house. And all of these would make excellent “rice krispie treats” bars! In fact….I may have to make some.

I’m not a malibu fan, but I am a regular rum fan. I see nothing wrong with adding the rum to these either and I’m no mom, but wouldn’t the alcohol all bake out anyway?

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 9, 2012 at 7:03 am

This is the BEST. THING. EVER. Boozy cereal treats? Are you forreal right now?! Amazing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 8:36 am

I think you should make these and I should make your rolo brownies — I need those things!

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — August 9, 2012 at 7:19 am

SOOOO colorful!! Perfect for beaches :)

Cassie — August 9, 2012 at 8:13 am

These are so fun. You have quite an amazing collection of krispie treats!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 9, 2012 at 8:32 am

How fun, I love all the colors (and the rum!).

Melissa | Dash of East — August 9, 2012 at 8:40 am

Brilliant! Boozy kiddie cereal. Love this.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 9, 2012 at 9:10 am

Yep, it’s confirmed… I will NEVER grow out of rice krispie treats either. And no, I will never grow out of sprinkles either! Or rum, obviously.

This is such a creative recipe, Averie! I’ve never actually baked with alcohol before. I’ve cooked with wine, but never baked with an alcohol. Even though today’s recipe isn’t exactly “baking”, but you know what I mean! These are just so fun… for the little AND big kid in all of us! What a fun treat for the beach. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 12:32 pm

baking with alcohol is strange – cooking is one thing, i.e. a wine sauce or a reduction but alcohol tends to leave things a realllllllly soft texture (and with weird holes in it – sort of like if you leave baking powder sit too long before baking it)
      see these – soooo good and tasty but strange texture and everyone Ive ever seen who bakes cookies with alcohol, same overall texture.

Cake though, and bars, I figured that out !

kris — August 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

mmm, i loveee rice crispy treats! and these are like an amped up version. Especially since fruit loops were my favorite cereal growing up! And with the malibu rum its now an adult version! – Perfect :)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — August 9, 2012 at 9:44 am

genius! sheer genius! I love all the fun colors! they just look so inviting with the reds, greens and purples! SO cute – and the rum — hello:) You’re talking to a girl whose “drink” is a Malibu Pineapple:) mmmmm

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

oh we’d get along so well if that’s your drink – it’s mine too (or at least when Im on vacay I have to partake in a few!)

Neena — August 9, 2012 at 9:47 am

At the grocery store this morning, I discovered that Cheerios now has it’s own version of Fruit Loops. Colorful little bites. Still high in sugar, but they’re touting whole grains at the first ingredients. It’s a sign that I put a box in my cart this morning and discovered THIS POST on your website a mere hours later. I’ll be tinkering in the kitchen later tonight! THANKS!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 12:30 pm

well the timing is perfect then! LMK how things go if you make these or something similar!

Ashley - baker by nature — August 9, 2012 at 10:35 am

Malibu rum is a steady at my home bar – it makes me feel like I’m on an island (like you, lucky!). These treats look so fun – definitely picking up fruit loops next time I’m at the store ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 12:29 pm

and if you happen to make these or something boozy, LMK how it turns out!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — August 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

Ahhhh, these are SO fun!! Love the colors…and the adult twist, of course :-)

Liz (formerly VeggieGirl) — August 9, 2012 at 11:31 am

Rum and fruit loops – definitely never would have thought to combine those, haha. That is awesome :D And super colorful – perfect for Malibu.

ally — August 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

all your no bake bars are absolutely perfect & look incredibly delicious!
    xo

Amber K — August 9, 2012 at 11:58 am

I never would have thought to add alcohol to a cereal bar. Your imagination amazes me!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 12:28 pm

It’s amazing what really long runs alone in the heat will do to your brain cells – these types of things :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — August 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Something is in the air – craves for kid’s cereal treats :) Love your addition of Malibu! My treats caught some of your Aruba waves – coconut, marshmallows and white chocolate!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — August 9, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Yum, I love the idea of rum in there. And Fruit Loops!

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm

These look amazing, adore the bright and fun colors! Such a great idea having an adult “kid” treat. :-)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I didn’t eat a lot of fruit loops, but I do like my Malibu! (It isn’t strong enough though, so I have to add a little somethin’ somethin’ to it – hehe)!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Malibu is definitely the drink you drink for taste, not effect!

Ala — August 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Sinful and genius! I’m trying to imagine bringing a pan full of these to the classroom and just sitting back for a reaction. That might be fun. Then again, it might also be unethical and, probably, literally, sinful. Oh, well. Might make these for National Rum Day’s entry–it’s coming up soon! Thanks for sharing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Natl Rum Day – I like the sounds of that!

• Ala replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Not to pressure you either way, but would you be interested in doing a post (either guest or on your own blog) for it? National Eat Dessert First month is still going strong, but we’re missing a National Rum Day entry for the 16th. It’d be great to have you on board to celebrate; let me know if you’d like an excuse to make more rum (read: yum) dessert!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — August 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Okay. When you look up “genius” in the dictionary, I bet a picture of you will show up. Synonym of genius: Averie. These look awesome! I’ll just be making the virgin version, of course.

P.S. Not to be nit-picky, but I just thought I’d point out that your site is coming up a little wonky for me. I re-loaded just to make sure, but it seems like it’s in a primitive/HTML version. Just thought I’d let you know!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Don’t know how genius I am but plenty of long, hot runs and lots of mental “space” and my brain wanders into these types of things :) Thanks for the heads up on the rest. Just emailed you.

Michele Sparrow — August 9, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Oh wow. Froot loops. Talk about the memories. We ate those, Sugar Corn Pops, Apple Jacks, Lucky Charms, Cap’n Crunch, Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch, Cocoa and Fruity Pebbles, Frosted Flakes, Count Chocula, Cocoa Puffs, Cookie Crisp, Honey Smacks, and I am sure there are countless others I forgot! LOL! :-)

These bars look amazing and absolutely nostalgic! LOVE! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

You just rattled off tons of cereals that are RIPE for playing with – I almost made something with Apple Jacks. Those may be next!

Paula — August 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm

The vibrant colors in the Fruit Loops make these look like the Caribbean version of rice krispie treats! I think I’d like any bar made with cereal and marshmallows (ok–maybe not All Bran…but when I’m 80 yrs old,who knows!). Love your creativity and the re-cap of all your similar bars. The photo of the butterscotch rice krispie treats really caught my eye–ooh that frosting!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 9th, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I love cereal bars and bright colors – and I made those butterscotch treats here in Aruba years ago and still remember them fondly :)

Marina@Picnic at Marina — August 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm

OK, now I know why I don’t eat cereal: it was missing the rum! :) Those fruit loops treats are so-so cute!

Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} — August 9, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Isn’t Malibu SO delicious!?! Put me on the beach with one (or the whole pan) of these bars and I will be a happy girl!

Ilana — August 10, 2012 at 4:05 am

aaaand now it’s 7am and I want malibu and chocolate coated cereal. happyfriday ;)

Jennifer Osborn — August 10, 2012 at 6:05 am

Malibu Rum in cereal bars??? Genius.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 10, 2012 at 8:18 am

I haven’t had fruit loops in forever!

Laura Dembowski — August 10, 2012 at 10:43 am

These look so pretty, and I love the addition of rum; I think alcohol improves almost any baked good. I have been on a nostalgic cereal kick myself with Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Captain Crunch. I think I feel like I’m growing up too fast and want to remember what it feels like to be a kid again.

Alysha @Shesontherun — August 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm

These are the prettiest treats ever! Perfect for the kiddos.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 10th, 2012 at 1:51 pm

well there’s rum in them so the virgin version would be fine for the kiddos :)

Tracy @ Commit to Fit — August 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm

It just so happens that I have a box of Fruit Loops staring me in the face right now. :) Gotta make these!

Tara — August 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm

They really look great, thanks for coming by our site today!!

Brandon — August 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I’m guessing the alcohol is for flavor? Because you’d have to eat like 6 or more batches of these to even get a buzz. Haha.

John — August 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm

This is definitely a nice little treat for those that like a little spike to some dessert. I doubt it’d get you buzzed but at least the flavor will be great.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 12th, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Right, as I said right in the post, no one is going to get tipsy….

But yes, the flavor is so fun + the fruit loops which have that one of a kind flavor and the two work well together. Hope you try them!

tanya — August 14, 2012 at 4:01 am

I’ve never had rum in a cereal bar, but I LOVE The way you think!! I love the bright colors from the fruit loops! What a fun, no bake treat!

luvwhatyoudo — August 15, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I love these cereal balls. They are so colorful and my mouth is watering just looking at them!

Annie — January 16, 2013 at 3:22 pm

are you aware and Etsy seller has stolen your idea and your images for their shop?

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 16th, 2013 at 3:37 pm

No I wasn’t and thank you. This is not the first time I have had issues with people on Etsy doing this to me and now I will tackle it. Thank you so much for bringing it to my attention!

tour du lich mien tay — June 17, 2014 at 12:36 am

oh hungry can not resist

Binh Thuy Ancient House — June 17, 2014 at 8:10 pm

They really look great, thanks for coming by our site today!!

lau ca linh bong dien dien — June 18, 2014 at 11:49 pm

They really look great, thanks for coming by our site today!!

Jennifer — June 26, 2014 at 11:47 am

They are pretty and colorful, but i won’t make em again. They are super sweet and the rum doesn’t come through. This is one of those times when it’s best not to mess with a classic.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 26th, 2014 at 11:56 am

Fruit Loops are a pretty sweet cereal to start with and yes, adding marshmallows and you do wind up with a pretty sweet treat which I love every once in awhile. Sorry you didn’t care for them but thanks for trying the recipe.

Maria — September 18, 2014 at 11:00 pm

What a great recipe , i never though of adding marshmallows. It would go as a treat with a glass of milk or coffee.