Weekend Things

I didn’t do a Thursday Things this week and instead posted a few extra recipes. So the time is ripe for a few Weekend Things:

1. I love old wood and old things and old cast iron.

I bought this antique pine dough board on ebay a week or so before I left for Aruba and it arrived hours before I got on the plane. If only this board had a nickle for every knife mark it has and the stories it could tell.

I wonder what woman, or generations of women, have cut things on this board or rolled dough on it and what they’ve made It’s probably seen it’s share of butter, sugar, and I’m guessing more than a few pounds of dough have been rolled out on it.

I can’t wait to take pictures on it.

2. I love my antique Chinese writing desk and the new board’s surface is similar, but different enough.

I love the look of wood with certain food, like Homemade Thin Mints (no-bake, vegan). Then again, it wouldn’t take a wood surface for me to enjoy these.

3. I met up with Brandy of Nutmeg Nanny this past week in Aruba. She was here attending a wedding and we coordinated a short ‘n sweet little meetup. I had Skylar in tow so we didn’t stay long but it was fun to connect with another food blogger and Instagrammer and person I “know” and meet up with live and in the flesh.

I’ve actually met up with other bloggers and friends on previous Aruba trips who were either here for a day or a week; crazy but true, and fun.

4. Silver Spoon Bottle Opener, $16 – great price for anything from Antrho

5. Thanks to The Kitchn for featuring my Baked Peach and Nectarine Donuts with White Chocolate on their Delicious Links

6. These Diner scene plates, $44

7. Scott ordered an iced coffee from a local coffee shop and asked Skylar to hold it while he searched for something in his briefcase. Ninety seconds later he looked up and it was half gone. She’s 5 years old but can apparently chug iced coffee with the best of them. She’s done this in the past, too. The apple clearly doesn’t fall far from the tree.

I won’t even order iced coffee from coffee shops since I can down a venti in 2.8 seconds, no joke.

8. Thanks for the Vegan a la Mode Cookbook Giveaway entries

9. Three-ingredient Chocolate Icebox Cheesecake

No-bake, 3 ingredients, chocolate, cheesecake – I think this needs to go on my weekend agenda

10. Stop the Sunburn with Strawberries

“…they hope to figure out whether just eating strawberries might boost your sun resistance, or if it could be smeared on the skin in some kind of lotion to act as an all-natural sunscreen…”

It seems the more science advances, the more that grandmotherly wisdom like eating foods from all the colors of the rainbow can do no harm.

Some of my favorite Rainbow Food-Colored Recipes are here

What are your Weekend Things?

If you’ve made anything, done, seen, or bought anything fabulous this week, feel free to link it up in the comments.

Do you shop on ebay?

I love ebay (and etsy, Craigslist, Amazon, and letting my fingers do the walking and the shopping in general). I need to be careful with ebay because I am sometimes tempted to increase my maximum bid far past what is probably a fair price for a particular item, just because I want it and the one-of-a-kind and there will never be another one like it mentality sets in. Until I realize that in a week or two, something equally as fabulous will likely crop up and to cool my jets a little bit.

Have a great weekend. We’re off to play at the beach!

46 Responses to “Weekend Things”

Erin Motz — August 11, 2012 at 6:44 am

I love that Skylar totally downed your coffee, haha! Could have been something worse, like beer or a margarita ;) And Aruba looks amazing!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 6:51 am

It was Scott’s coffee (mom’s tend to ‘see’ things like that before they even happen – ha!) and that’s why we’d NEVER let her ‘hold’ anything more adult-like!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 11, 2012 at 7:36 am

That board is awesome! I’m like you–I always feel the need to scour the internet and outbid someone for something because of that very mentality you described! But little do we realize, awesome treasures pop up all the time, so chances are, we’ll score something even more awesome sooner or later. Like that bottle opener–so cool! Anthro has some amazing stuff. And uh, if you ever want to meet me in Aruba, I wouldn’t mind! ;)

Christine (The Raw Project) — August 11, 2012 at 7:57 am

That’s great about Skylar, probably tasting like a sweet treat to her. Great list of things, I used to be huge into eBay, especially as a small-scale seller selling electronics, books, games, purses, etc. that we were no longer using. But haven’t been back since they mucked up the policies really screwing small sellers. :-(

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 9:36 am

I used to buy ALL my small electronics from them about 8-10 years ago before amazon was just as huge and when ebay was definitely the best deal$ going!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — August 11, 2012 at 8:30 am

Congratulations on your Kitchn feature!!

Laura Dembowski — August 11, 2012 at 8:45 am

I think that’s hilarious that your daughter likes coffee. I was a pretty big coffee drinker from about 10-15 years old, but I won’t even look at it now. Go figure! I made my favorite dessert this week and just posted it today: Peach Blackberry Pie. Here’s the link if you’re interested: http://piesandplots.net/peach-blackberry-pie/ Have a good weekend in paradise :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 9:35 am

my dad tells stories of drinking coffee growing up on his farm when he was just a boy, maybe 6 years old or so!

vanillasugarblog — August 11, 2012 at 9:22 am

ha ha. she already loves coffee eh?
    a foodie in the making?
    did not know about the strawberries and sunburn
    I saw your Kitchn feature! you go girl!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 9:35 am

thanks for noticing the Kitchn feature – I am in love with those spoonforkbacon banana bites that were on the kitchn that you posted!

and yes, she’s the only 5 year old I know who asks what stage food in re the photography and how much has been done and and when will it be ready for eating :)

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — August 11, 2012 at 10:33 am

My grandmother passed along her mom’s great grandmother’s rolling pin. The wear is not completely obvious, but it brings to life so many stories and recipes that have been passed down.

Your corn on the Cobb salad looks delicious!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

the donuts were mine, not the cobb salad – but I want that salad too – or your grandma’s rolling pin!

Paula — August 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

Too funny about Skylar chugging Scott’s coffee. Reminds me of my sister–she’d go with my mom to the local coffee shop and started drinking coffee at about the same age. I started in early college, but the whole family is still “hooked”! Congrats on the Kitchn feature! Love your dough board–I shop Amazon a lot, but haven’t done too much with e-bay. I also need to be careful with it for the exact same reason!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

you with your crafting – yes, you could get into trouble on ebay and etsy :)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — August 11, 2012 at 11:23 am

what a great post! i love that cutting board and vintage spoon! so cool!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul — August 11, 2012 at 11:45 am

Oh goshhhh yes, same here! I’ve been loving rustic flatware and kitchen items~but I feel like they’re tough to find! They’re so fun aren’t they? ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

go on ebay or etsy – there’s so much to choose from that I could go broke!

Nutmeg Nanny — August 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm

It was so great meeting you and Skylar! I hope you have a great time in Aruba :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 4:26 pm

It was fun and glad we could coordinate it! Hope your trip home was smooth & uneventful :)

Hannah — August 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm

That’s the best bottle opener I’ve ever seen.

Erica — August 11, 2012 at 5:21 pm

SO cool that you got to meet Brandy! She seems so incredibly sweet and down to earth. That spoon is very cool

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — August 11, 2012 at 5:28 pm

so cool! I hope you’re having a great weekend girl!

LiztheChef — August 11, 2012 at 7:40 pm

After Alaska, I think a thaw in Aruba would be righteous…

Michele — August 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I’ve just started subscribing to your blog (which is a new thing for me) and I have to tell you how much I enjoy them! Beautiful photos, lots of vegan recipes and lots of personality — Thank you for sharing your recipes, your thoughts and your life!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

thanks, Michele, for reading and commenting and glad you like what you see! :)

Michele Sparrow — August 11, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I just love that Skylar drank Scotts iced coffee! Truly a girl after your own heart, Averie! Love that board you got on ebay, too! I used to shop on ebay a lot, but I put myself on hold for a while…needed a little break! :-) My dad is in town for the weekend so been hanging out with him. It’s been lovely!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 9:18 pm

have fun w/ your dad! and yes, I used to be hugely into Ebay but laid off it for years, til recently had a few purchases :)

Katie — August 11, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I used to do so much shopping on ebay. I bought my first “big girl” camera on there – before digital was the rage, even. Now, with Amazon, I never even think to use it. If I want used, I can use Amazon for that too. It’s probably for the best though – my competitive streak got me into some not-so-good deals on ebay.

My favorite three ingredient dessert is the classic eclair cake. I love love love that!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

my competitive streak got me into some not-so-good deals on ebay = yes, we are twins even on this!

I used to be the hugest! ebayer, probably when you were one, too. But with amazon or just general google-for-a-good-deal I don’t go to ebay, unless I want old wood or old stuff. Realizing it’s great for that!

health fitness training — August 11, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Stunning photos! I love the iced coffee! yum.. ;)

Marina@Picnic at Marina — August 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm

The bottle opener is so cool, and it has a shell like ornament, love it! I love ebay, but don’t go there often for the very same reason: if I want a thing, I need to get it and often overpay… :)
    I found some interesting things at garage sales and estate sales in the area. Nothing rare or super fancy but good to be used as a prop. And when you pay 25 cents for it, you feel like you got it for free :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 11th, 2012 at 9:19 pm

those types of quarter finds or dollar finds are just THE BEST! Love those :)

CJ at Food Stories — August 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I saw these and thought of you … http://pinterest.com/pin/214061788509409075/

Ida — August 12, 2012 at 7:08 am

Oh boy do I love eBay!!! Here in Norway there’s a lot of things I can find A LOT cheaper on American eBay! Like computer ink, clothes, random odds and ends :) the last things I bought was stuff to make bracelets :D SO CHEAP. I bet it’s even cheaper in a shop, but compared to here I am happy :D

Do you know a technique for cleaning those kinda bords? I mean if you cut chicken it’s important to clean it properly, and those things suck any liquids in. It would be great if you knew a way! :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 12th, 2012 at 8:15 am

I am in Aruba right now (little island) and everything is so expensive here compared to the US when it comes to shampoo, things like alarm clocks or measuring cups – I am sure for your crafts ebay is a lot cheaper, too!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 12, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Averie, I have been GOING NUTS trying to find a wooden tray/board for my photos. I wanted to make my own with Kevin but time is just not that plentiful these days! I’ve never thought to look online for one. Your recent find is gorgeous. I need to look into ebay!

Iced coffee is my saving grace. It lands at the bottom of my food pyramid along with peanut butter, whipped frozen banana, and sprinkles. ;) I’m proud of little Skylar, she definitely has good taste!!!

LOVING your feature this week on the kitchn! so cool Averie.. and esp for a recipe you JUST posted too. This donuts are so pretty to look at and I can only imagine how tasty. OK I gotta go check out that 3 ingredient Chocolate Icebox Cheesecake!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — August 12th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

okay you can’t make new wood look old – all those DIY projects on pinterest and such are fine and you can get close, but…old is old and there is no substitute for the gorgeous patina that only comes with decades or centuries! of use. You need to hit up ebay (or etsy) but for old wood I prefer ebay…you will fall in love (or fall in debt – LOL)

Skylar is the daughter of a blogger – she seriously will look at pinterest boards with me and can critique cookies with me. It’s fun having her as my sidekick :)

That cake – standby. I one-upp’ed it!

• sally @ sallys baking addiction replied: — August 12th, 2012 at 8:09 pm

good to know, Averie!! I will scour Ebay this week and let you know what I find!!! My shopping addiction does not thank you! ;)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 13, 2012 at 6:32 am

That board it gorgeous. I love old bread and cutting boards!

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — August 13, 2012 at 6:57 am

Love that board! I never find anything that cool. And that’s so great you two were able to meet up while in the same tropical place!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 13, 2012 at 11:28 am

My weekend things included kimchi hotdogs, outdoor concerts and slow dancing to keep warm. I don’t think I have ever bought anything from E-Bay.