Cinnamon and Spice

I love cinnamon and like to use it in my cooking and baking whenever possible. Now that fall is approaching, the warming and homey qualities that cinnamon imparts into anything made with it is especially nice.

Here are 15 of my favorite cinnamon recipes where there’s no mistaking it’s robust flavor:

Breads and Pastries with Cinnamon

Cinnamon Bun Pie – Big crumbly pieces of cinnamon-sugar streusel topping add to the flavor of the cinnamon rolls and they use shortcut so hey’re ready in no time

Cinnamon Sugar Crust Cream Cheese and Jelly Danish Squares – The crust is hardened and crisp layer of cinnamon, sugar, and butter and the middle is filled with squishy cream cheese and jelly. They taste like an Entenmann’s brand danish and are easy

Strawberry Jelly Rolls – You’ll never believe what these rolls start out as and what they become in 15 minutes flat

Pumpkin Banana Bread with Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting – The flavors of fall are in full force and between the pumpkin, banana, and molasses, the bread is so soft and moist

Baked Cinnamon Bun Donuts with Vanilla Cream Cheese Glaze – If a Cinnabon cinnamon roll met a donut, this is what it would taste like, except it’s baked rather than fried and you can make it at home. They can be made as muffins if you don’t have a donut pan

Coconut Spice Cheesecake Bars – A layer of spice cake topped with a layer of cheesecake and only takes 5 minutes to put together before it’s baked

Rice Pudding with Raisins – This creamy and sweet rice pudding can be made with anything from cream to sweetened condensed milk to coconut milk

Vegetables with Cinnamon

Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks – Don’t judge a book by its cover because you’ll miss out on how to make sweet potatoes taste like French toast sticks, complete with baked-in crunchy streusel bits

Caramelized Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpea “Peanuts” (vegan, GF) – This is how to make ‘peanuts’ from chickpeas, and how to make beans taste like candy. I eat half the tray standing in front of the oven while burning my mouth because they’re that good

Coconut Oil Fried Cinnamon Sugar & Ginger Plantains (vegan, GF)- Plantians are bigger than bananas and usually sold near the bananas. Slice them and fry them up in a little coconut oil or your favorite oil, season with cinnamon and sugar, and you’ll wonder why you’ve never tried plantains before

Roasted Peanut Butter Coconut Ginger Carrots (vegan, GF) – A marinade of peanut butter, coconut oil, ginger, and cinnamon is used to coat baby carrots and it turns crunchy while baking

Snacks

Coconut Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Almonds (vegan, GF) – Can’t go wrong with homemade roasted nuts engulfed in a cinnamon-sugar coating

Cookie Butter Spread Ginger Molasses Cookies (no-bake, vegan, with GF option) – A cross between a spice cookie, a ginger cookie, and a molasses cookie, all rolled into one little no-bake cookie ball

Cinnamon Sugar Chocolate Pretzels (no-bake, vegan, GF) – Highly addictive, especially if you love a good salty ‘n sweet combo and take about 5 minutes to make, both a blessing and a curse

Cinnamon Raisin Bread Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Like drinking a piece of cinnamon raisin bread toast

Did you know that:

Cinnamon has many health benefits from reducing cholesterol and blood sugar levels to boosting memory to boosting immune system function

There are different varieties of cinnamon from Ceylon to Cassia to Vietnamese

Most cinnamon sold in the U.S. is cassia, which isn’t actually true cinnamon

You can buy organic premium cinnamon in bulk for a fraction of the cost of what you’d spend on individual jars of it in the grocery store – Use code AVE630 to save an additional $5 on your order (One pound for $10 bucks versus a little 2 ounce jar in the grocery store for 5.99 – no brainer for me the way I go through it)

Do you like cinnamon?

I love it and if I read a recipe which calls for 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, I use about 1 1/2 teaspoons. If the recipe says 1 teaspoon, that means almost 1 tablespoon for me.

Don’t worry, when I write recipes for my blog, I list the cinnamon in noticeable yet reasonable quantities because I realize that not everyone may love it quite as much as I do. However, it’s almost a guarantee that I’ve used more for what I made than what I wrote because I’m a cinnamon fiend. Really, any warming spice – pumpkin pie spice, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, allspice – I am very heavy-handed with all of them.

The same is true with vanilla extract. Boy, do I ever go through some cinnamon and vanilla.

Thanks for the Cooking With Trader Joe’s Cookbook Giveaway entries and next post…Pumpkin!

50 Responses to “Cinnamon and Spice”

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance — September 17, 2012 at 3:41 am

I’m like you….it’s safe to say I usually triple the amount of cinnamon called for in a recipe. It’s probably my favorite spice!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:09 am

I at least double, and usually triple….it’s just one of those spices I don’t measure and don’t have the sprinkle top on my jars, I have the wide open top, so I dump in til it looks about right :)

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — September 17, 2012 at 3:55 am

Oh Averie, I left a cinnamon comment on the wrong post…!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 17, 2012 at 5:09 am

Huge fan of cinnamon. It’s such an awesome spice isn’t it? And it really does go well in some savory dishes too.

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — September 17, 2012 at 5:29 am

I’ll take one {or two} of everything, please and thank you!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — September 17, 2012 at 6:09 am

I’m all for cinnamon, spice and everything nice! ;) These all look AMAZING, Averie!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 10:40 am

thanks, Ali (this went into my spam, sorry! but you’re out now) :)

Sydney @ The Crepes of Wrath — September 17, 2012 at 7:00 am

Those coconut spice cheesecake bars look right up my alley – I love when something cuts into a perfect square like that. I do agree that cinnamon makes it feel like fall, and I am SO ready.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:08 am

And with blogging and photos, you always pray that when you cut into something you’re going to get a nice, clean, cut. But you never know til you slice and sometimes it’s like…gah! not happening! lol

GetSkinnyGoVegan — September 17, 2012 at 7:01 am

Love the roasted chickpeas.

Paula — September 17, 2012 at 7:03 am

I love cinnamon and gravitate to it more in the fall and winter but definitely use it year around. I also like it in savory dishes (garam masala always comes to mind). Great cinnamon recipe re-cap–I’m craving those carrots again!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:07 am

I reposted those carrots because of YOU! Had you not mentioned to me a couple times recently that you made them, I would have forgotten about them, forever! So thank you!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 17, 2012 at 7:23 am

I believe you posted this recipe round up just for me, no? I have loved seeing each and every one of these recipes. I made those chick peas earlier this year (not on the blog) and LOVED them. I made 4 cans of them and brought them on a roadtrip. Addicting. I need to make them again! I’ve made the cinnamon roll donuts.. .incredible (it goes without saying!). They are SO buttery and soft. LOVE the looks of the cinnamon pretzels and roasted almonds! And those shortcut jelly rolls and cinnamon bun pie… you are the queen of saving time!

I love cinnamon and pretty much always double the amount called for in a recipe. Triple it at times! No oatmeal cookies is complete without it and no pumpkin ANYTHING should be missing it, that’s for sure!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:07 am

4 cans?! Fiber much? :) Glad they were a hit! My stomach would hate my but my tastebuds would love me. Lol

And the cinn roll donuts, can’t believe you made those, too. I do remember that, though. My recipe and making them feels like a lifetime ago that I think back to it! You would love love love the cinn pretzels. They are a total Sally food and are not kidding a 5 min one big bowl project!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — September 17, 2012 at 7:23 am

The more cinnamon, the BETTER for me, too! I can’t. get. enough. It’s one of my most-used spices and I plow through bottles of the stuff like no other. My fave pairing is of course, cinnamon sugar and cinnamon rolls and the like, but my unexpected fave is pairing chocolate with cinnamon. So spicy and so good!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:05 am

cinnamon-sugar is THE perfect cinnamon pairing, preferably with some butter somehow incorporated :)

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — September 17, 2012 at 7:56 am

Whoa, that is one heck of a lineup! Love them all. :)

vanillasugarblog — September 17, 2012 at 7:57 am

I love cinnamon too.
    I use 1 ts every morning in my espresso.
    It’s good for your blood.
    I remember those french toast fries–oh boy!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:04 am

1 tsp in your espresso – now THAT is a way to start the day!

Alysha @Shesontherun — September 17, 2012 at 8:00 am

Your rice pudding looks amazing. I have such a hard time cooking rice – it’s just one of those things! I usually always under-cook it.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:04 am

And the great thing about rice pudding is that overcooking it is okay – almost welcome – so it gets all creamy and squishy and so this is sorta foolproof that way!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — September 17, 2012 at 8:52 am

I LOVE cinnamon! And just like you said, I use more then a recipe calls for too :)

Laura Dembowski — September 17, 2012 at 10:02 am

I love cinnamon too! It brings such fabulous flavor. I’m very intrigued by those chickpeas. I always use more cinnamon than a recipe calls for. Typically when I get a teaspoon or whatever out of the jar of cinnamon, it is overflowing and I happily put it all in the batter :)

bakerbynature — September 17, 2012 at 10:47 am

Cinnamon is one of my favorite spices to bake with… everything about it feels like *home. Your cinnamon recipe list looks amazing, Averie. Your talent in the kitchen always amazes me!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:00 am

You are so sweet but really YOU are so creative! I love seeing what you’re up to next!

Amber K — September 17, 2012 at 10:49 am

Cinnamon is the best spice! It just fits in so many places. Yum!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — September 17, 2012 at 11:39 am

Pumpkin! Yes! Can’t wait! I saw a round-up of Fall Flavors on Marla’s site and I love that you’re doing a round-up as well – with cinnamon being front and center! I will confess that after moving to Arizona and discovering Mexican canela, I much prefer it over cassia cinnamon. The cassia cinnamon that I find in American grocery stores seems so strong to my palate now, so I just use less if I’m baking or cooking with it. But either way, canela/cinnamon remains a FAVORITE flavor for Fall in my casa!!!

P.S. Can’t WAIT to try your Cinnamon Raisin Bread Smoothie!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 17th, 2012 at 11:48 am

Marla’s roundup was crazy amazing – I can’t imagine how long that took her! And you know, I have never tried Mexican canela but now I HAVE to have it! And I can’t believe, still, that I lived in AZ (briefly) and my whole experience there would have been 100x better had I known you!!!

carrian — September 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Look at all of that deliciousness!!! I love it!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — September 17, 2012 at 2:35 pm

wow, I can’t decide which recipe I want to make first, they all look amazing as usual!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — September 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I love cinnamon, please pass one of everything!

Katie — September 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Yeah, I kinda like cinnamon. ;)

I double it (at least) in every recipe. I add it in where people *obviously* forgot it on the recipe list. If I buy the cheap stuff, which I have been known to do on occasion but not lately, I triple it. That stuff is weak and I need my cinnamon to be strong like bull.

The way I feel about cinnamon is how most bloggers feel about pumpkin.

Michele Sparrow — September 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I love cinnamon! Especially Vietnamese cinnamon. I now pour about a 1/2 Tbsp in my Papa New Guinea coffee grounds every morning before I pour my boiling water through it. So delicious! I also never measure cinnamon. I liberally pour it in every thing I make that calls for cinnamon and often when a recipe doesn’t call for cinnamon or I am making oatmeal in the morning from scratch for the boys, I pour in cinnamon, in their pancake and waffle batters, their yogurt parfaits and their smoothies! We go through LOADS of cinnamon and vanilla as well! All of those recipes (including my morning coffee), get a splash of vanilla. The two were meant to go together! I love the look of those donuts!!! :-)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 17, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I do like cinnamon and one of my favourite desserts of all time is a cinnamon bun.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 17, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Averie, you’re killing me here! I’m trying to shed off some weight but I seriously am going to make all of this over the weekend, and then devour it all!

Ellen — September 17, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Hehe, we are the same when it comes to cinnamon conversion-I always add tons!

Jen @ Savory Simple — September 18, 2012 at 4:33 am

I love these! I have a mini cinnamon collection from Penzy’s; I love how different types have subtle yet different flavor profiles.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — September 18, 2012 at 5:10 am

what a great breakfast :) love anything cinnamon!

Mark — September 18, 2012 at 6:15 am

Wow. These all look so good. I really want to try the coconut cinnamon sugar roasted almonds. I always have almonds at my desk at work, none of which look as good as these. I guess I’ll have to do some cooking soon!

Tamara — September 18, 2012 at 6:16 am

Cinnamon rules!! Thanks for the roundup!

Chris M. — September 18, 2012 at 8:59 am

Hi Averie, I love cinnamon (and pumpkin pie spice) too, can’t help but to add more…I do that with vanilla as well. I buy cinnamon at Penzey’s–fun to try all the varieties…the mom and pop Penzey store is just down the street from where I live. Lucky me! This recipe is awesome…http://www.therawseed.com/2011/03/raw-banana-bread-walnuts.html