Recipes and Flavors of Fall

The temperatures are in the high 80s right now in San Diego and it’s not feeling much like fall outside, but that’s not stopping me from being excited about fall recipes and flavors.

Here are 15 of my fall favorites that I’ve either made recently because I was impatient and started my fall cooking in July or that I made a few seasons ago and that I’m excited to make again.

Dips, Spreads, Appetizers & Snacks

Dark Rum Caramel Sauce – A step by step tutorial on making caramel sauce for all those apples you’re going to pick. The rum is optional although recommended.

Caramel Pumpkin Whip Dip – Takes mere seconds to make with just a few ingredients stirred together, including pumpkin and caramel

Cranberry & Orange Ginger Mango Chutney (vegan, GF) – I was addicted to Trader Joe’s Mango Ginger Chutney and those little jars were getting expensive so I came up with my own version and added cranberries

Rosemary Chipotle Roasted Almonds (vegan, GF) – Scott never met a roasted almond he didn’t inhale and these are no exception

Soups, Sides, & Mains

Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup (vegan, GF) – The fastest and easiest soup you’ll ever make with just 3 ingredients and a microwave-friendly recipe

Spicy Baked Black Beans with Mixed Vegetables (vegan, GF) –  Baked beans embody fall comfort food

Pumpkin Spiced Brown Rice Tempeh and Cranberry Salad (vegan, GF if GF tempeh is used) – This was a fall-inspired salad I just had to have in June and it can be served warm or cold

Curried Ginger & Raisin Lentils (vegan, GF) – There was no way I could make the lentils look pretty, but the ginger and raisins made them taste pretty enough that no one complained they were eating lentils for dinner

Chips and Cheese Chili Casserole (vegetarian/vegan, GF) – Casseroles are fall comfort and tailgating food at its finest especially when chips are baked right in

Beverages

Cinnamon Raisin Bread Smoothie (vegan, GF) – I made this in the blazing Caribbean heat because I was craving the warming flavors and spices of fall – go figure

Caramel Maple Pumpkin Pie Smoothie – Have your pumpkin pie and drink it, too

Desserts

Coconut Spice Cheesecake Bars – The spice cake base makes this perfect for fall. If desired, omit the coconut and replace it with grated apples.

Candy Corn Cookie Dough Pretzel Bites (No Bake) – Stuff leftover Halloween candy or candy of any type into no-bake cookie dough and perch it on top of a pretzel for a salty ‘n sweet treat

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies – Cinnamon, brown sugar, golden raisins, and oats create these chewy and hearty cookies that remind me of leaves changing and fall weather

Caramel and Chocolate Gooey Bars (GF with Vegan adaptation) – You could eat a caramel apple but I’d rather have one of these dense, rich, and gooey caramel bars

Do you have any recipes or flavors of fall you’re excited to incorporate?

Feel free to link up any recipes you’ve made and can’t wait to make again or those you’re excited to try.

For all the pumpkin lovers, stay tuned. You’re in luck. So much luck, actually. I’m on my fourth can of pumpkin puree and September just started. I have a pumpkin recipe coming up in just a couple days and I’m restraining myself from adding pumpkin to just about everything I make.

Thanks for the Capresso Froth Plus Automatic Milk Frother Giveaway entries and have a great weekend!

41 Responses to “Recipes and Flavors of Fall”

Not Alone In 'Lona (Kimber) — September 7, 2012 at 12:10 am

Hey Averie!

I love the fall recipes! I’d love to see a Caramel Apple Cider one. :) I don’t think the Starbuck’s here in Barcelona will have them. They seem to be capitalizing on their blended ice drinks in this perpetual summer city.

I made the thin mints and the no bake chocolate peanut butter balls. Both were delicious! If I could only gravitate more towards meals, haha.

Thanks for the great posts,

Kimber @ Lemon in My Coke, Si Us Plau

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 12:22 am

So happy to hear both the Thin Mints & choc PB balls were a hit for you!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance — September 7, 2012 at 3:51 am

I can’t wait to read about the pumpkin recipe you are working on! I made applesauce the other day that was so simple, it’s ridiculous. It was delicious, and definitely got me in the mood for fall (and lots of apples)! http://eatmovebalance.com/amazing-applesauce-no-cooking/

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 11:31 am

I love no-cook applesauces. That’s what a Vitamix is for, right? :)

Paula — September 7, 2012 at 4:17 am

Ahh- these recipes make me think comfort food! I start roasting veggies a lot more when late summer comes and I am really craving your roasted baby carrot recipe (I need to double check the recipe but I think they are drizzled with coconut oil and PB). I am making the sweet potato soup tomorrow so will report back ( but I know we’ll love it!).

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 11:31 am

omg yes that recipe – I need to remake it b/c the pics aren’t too hot but the flavors of the dish are – but yes, PB, coconut oil, mmmmm, I should remake them. Thanks for the reminder :)

Ellie — September 7, 2012 at 4:58 am

I have a pot luck this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Ellie

Heather (Where's the Beach) — September 7, 2012 at 5:37 am

It’s so funny to me the different perspectives of temps and weather. For us, 80 feels like fall. That’s when it’s ok to start making chili and soup! Chili is one of my fave fall/winter meals. Just warm and comforting.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 11:30 am

glad to hear that 80F means fall chili & soup to you – I don’t feel bad now. lol

Katie — September 7, 2012 at 6:11 am

NOO!!!! I don’t want it to be fall yet!!! Except that I do have a bag of cranberries in my freezer that, thanks for the reminder, I need to make into some cranberry sauce. Ahhh, I love that on my salads. Weekend cooking commences…

katie @ KatieDid — September 7, 2012 at 6:28 am

so excited for all these flavors :) !! haven’t caved yet with the pumpkin but its truly only a matter of time… err days.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 11:29 am

Being in Aruba FORCED me to not start til Sept 1. Otherwise I would have started Aug 1. But I couldn’t get it down there :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — September 7, 2012 at 6:30 am

Averie! It’s been so hard to hold back on my pumpkin, too. I’ve already gone through two cans as well! I have a bake sale tomorrow (my first one!!) and I’m making some pumpkin treats. I can’t wait to share them with you! I’d say that spiced pumpkin and apple are my two favorite fall flavors. My mom makes a mean caramel apple crisp. To die for! I don’t think I could ever replicate it. You have some amazing treasures in your fall collection. Those candy corn cookie dough bites are adorable! Beautiful shot of those chipotle almonds too. They look incredible. I love spiced nuts around the holidays!

And I’m glad we share a favorite cookie.. Oatmeal Raisin holds a special place in my heart! I made oatmeal cookies last night and thought of you! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 11:28 am

You have a bake sale? That’s awesome! Your mom’s caramel apple crisp sounds to die for good! That is my exact perfect dessert..apples, caramel, crumble topping!

I honestly just started digging around my archives last night in prepping this post and was like, oh wow, forgot about this one. And that one. And another one. Good thing I have my own archives to remind me what I made. lol

Cant wait for your Oatmeal cookies! I know you were ISO the perfect recipe. CAnnot wait to hear about it!

bev @ bevcooks — September 7, 2012 at 7:09 am

I’m just going to go ahead and swirl my tongue through, oh, ALL OF IT.

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings — September 7, 2012 at 7:37 am

Those Coconut spice cheesecake bars are calling my name! It’s 90’s here in Florida and I’m still baking and lighting candles like it’s fall :) Hope you have a great weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 11:26 am

They are so.good. If you like spice cake, make them. They’re easy, too! They start off with a boxed mix of spice cake (you could make your own) and then the top is just cream cheese + sweetened cond milk stirred together and baked. Easy and rich!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — September 7, 2012 at 8:28 am

Ooh, Averie! That’s the pumpkin whip dip you were talking about? DELISH. Adding caramel to it is pure genius. And I think I need a straw for that dark rum caramel sauce.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 11:25 am

Yes that’s the dip I was talking about! After your post I kept thinking about it and wanted to make sure to link it up today!

Michele Sparrow — September 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

I am (especially) in love (of course, a bar!) with your caramel chocolate gooey bars! The photos look good enough to eat! :-)

Our friends own an apple orchard and I am going to head up this week and pick a few buckets of red and green speckled, juicy and tangy apples to make our yearly batch of apple butter. Super easy recipe: it only has the apples, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and apple cider! We like to pass out the jars for stocking stuffers at Christmas time!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 7th, 2012 at 11:25 am

Your apple butter sounds amazing and I’d love to have you be my secret Santa with that stuff!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — September 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’d like a big-o’ glass of the dark rum caramel sauce… so I can drink it!

Laura Dembowski — September 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

I love baking things for fall, but I’m still pretending like it’s summer! That caramel sounds and looks fabulous! I love caramel and the addition of rum would be wonderful.

bakerbynature — September 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

All of those recipes have me longing for a slight nip in the air even more than I already was – it’s 86 here today, so I feel you on the heat :)

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — September 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

Awesome round-up! These should be made all year long, especially those pretzel bites! YUM!

Cheryl — September 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who starts planning fall food far too early! It gives me something to look forward to when the heat has become tiring and unbearable. I wrote an identical post last week, although my caramel apple obsession is lightly more controlling..

Amber K — September 7, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I’m not looking forward to any particular recipe, but I AM looking forward to being able to use my oven without worrying about sweating all over my dinner. That’d be nice!

deirdre — September 7, 2012 at 1:36 pm

The rich colors alone invite my appetite! Yum- looking forward to trying a couple new recipes!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — September 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I am also in the fall baking and cooking mood. It makes me so happy!! Your recipe collection looks amazing – I can’t wait to see what else you will share this season! Have a great weekend, Averie!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — September 7, 2012 at 7:54 pm

oh my gosh those candy corn bites are so cute! what a fun and delicious idea!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — September 8, 2012 at 6:06 am

All of your recipes look amazing! Your getting me excited for the fall season!!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — September 8, 2012 at 9:29 am

Great collection of recipes! The pumpkin spiced brown rice looks incredible…I’m totally in the mood for a hearty dinner tonight I need to remember that one!

Elizabeth @Food Ramblings — September 8, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Dark rum caramel sauce– yes please!!

luvwhatyoudo — September 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Hooray for fall food!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — September 10, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I’m drooling just looking at that caramel sauce!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 10, 2012 at 9:49 pm

I love fall recipes, but hate that winter is coming :-( Winters in Saskatchewan are brutal.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — September 11th, 2012 at 12:31 am

and stay warm in that weather! thanks for all your comments today :)