15 Orange Recipes for Fall

October is such an orange month from the leaves turning, pumpkins everywhere, Halloween decorations, and all Thanksgiving preparations that are coming. Recipes in the fall tend to be heavily on the orange side, even the ones that don’t include pumpkin. You mean they exist? I even included some non-pumpkin orange recipes.

Savory

1.Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters with Homemade Spicy Mustard (GF with vegan option) – Sweet potatoes are great in any form, including in these baked fritters

2. Roasted Carrot and Red Pepper Peanut Soup (vegan, GF) – Roasting the vegetables gives the carrot soup a depth of flavor that’s intense and smoky, and combined with coconut milk, peanut butter, and peanuts, this soup is hearty and rich

3. Double Cheese and Red Pepper Dip – Five minutes to make in the microwave. Creamy cheesy goodness in warp speed and ridiculously easy and fast to toss together

4. Vegetable Lasagna Casserole (vegan, GF) – A noodle-less, non-traditional lasagna that’s made using a giant zucchini-carrot ‘noodle’ and lots of veggies and cheese

5. Roasted Sweet Potato Red Pepper and Coconut Milk Soup (vegan, GF) – If you’re short on time (or even if you’re not) the sweet potato soup is excellent and comes together from start to finish in 15 minutes in the microwave with just a few ingredients

6. Chips and Cheese Chili Casserole (vegan, GF) – I skipped the breadcrumbs and baked chips into the casserole instead. A perfect gameday, tailgating, or fall meal that makes planned leftovers

Breads & Cake

7. Pumpkin Banana Bread with Browned Butter Cream Cheese Frosting – This bread is a mixture of both pumpkin and banana flavors whereas the cake below is more robustly pumpkin-flavored. Depending on the flavor profile you want, they’re both moist, dense, pumpkiny, and you can’t go wrong with either

8. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Chocolate Ganache – Takes five minutes to make the batter by hand and it’s one of the moistest cakes I’ve ever had and will be a favorite for years to come. The ganache can be made in the microwave and is a snap

9. Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks – They won’t win a beauty contest but this recipe is how to turn potatoes into French toast sticks and they’re crazy good. The recipe was used in the cookbook I was a co-contributor on

Candy and Cookies

10. Butterfinger Bars (No Bake, Vegan & GF options) – 3 ingredients, make in the microwave in 5 minutes, and are eerily similar to the real thing

11. Candy Corn Cookie Dough Pretzel Bites (No-Bake) – Vegan cookie dough, stuffed with candy corn, perched on top of a pretzel, and they come together in minutes without even needing a mixer for the dough

12. Pumpkin Whoopie Pies with Vanilla Buttercream – These grew on me so much that I made another batch a day after the first batch was made and are fast and easy to make. The cookies are incredibly moist and soft

13. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies – A soft and tender pumpkin cookie meets a chewy and classic chocolate chip cookie, rolled into one. Definitely chewy whereas the previous cookies are soft and squishy

Beverages

14. Caramel Maple Pumpkin Pie Smoothie (GF and use vegan caramel to keep vegan) – Pumpkin Pie in a Cup and a great use for that leftover pumpkin puree in the can that you don’t know what to do with

15. Orange PushUp Smoothie – Tied with these cookie dough balls and this pumpkin spice latte as the most popular recipe on my site. People love PushUps or apparently have as fond of childhood memories as them as I do

What are your favorite recipes this time of year?

Links welcome and appreciated.

The winner of the Pumpkin Whoopie Pies + Book Giveaway is Laura (Tutti Dolci)

I found out on Friday that I was nominated as one of the Top 25 Recipe Blogs and there’s voting here. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click the the spacebar-looking thing with ‘See All Suggestions’ written on it to find my name and lots of other well deserving ladies whom I know as well.

Have a great weekend!

48 Responses to “15 Orange Recipes for Fall”

Paula — October 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

Congratulations on your nomination!! I gave you a thumbs up. It appears you are becoming well known in the food/recipe blogging community and your efforts deserve to be recognized! This time of year I start craving dried cranberries on my salads, thick soups, roasted winter squash, and those homemade butterfingers bars!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 11:55 am

Thanks for the thumbs up :) After almost 4 years at this, it seems some things are all hitting all at once which has been fun!

Christine (The Raw Project) — October 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Wonderful news on your nomination, congrats!!! Great collection of recipes here, I have a gew raw orange salad dressing recipes I adore for dressing up a simple salad.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance — October 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Congrats on the nomination! That’s fantastic!

This time of year, I’m totally craving chili and any type of winter squash. Acorn, delicata, sweet dumpling . . . I love it.

And that butterfinger bar recipe looks sinfully good! And way too easy! Genius idea–how the heck did you ever think of that?!? :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

There weren’t that many recipes floating around for it a few years ago and I sort of pieced together what I knew would work. Now there’s a lot more people who’ve gotten hip to the Homemade Butterfinger game!

luvwhatyoudo — October 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I haven’t had a butterfinger in years. I used to LOVE them!
    This recipe looks so fun to make…I can’t wait to give it a try!

Ellen — October 13, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Wow, I did not have very many non-pumpkin orange recipes! I did have this spicy pimiento cheese, which is a fave: http://scrumptiousgruel.wordpress.com/2011/06/23/spicy-hot-pimiento-cheese-spread/
    And this melon ball cocktail was super duper orange:
    For pumpkin orange, savory pumpkin soup:
    I so want to make your butterfingers spinoff but I am afraid I’d way the whole thing. I’m a girl with candy corn issues;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 13th, 2012 at 5:42 pm

They’re just corn syrup that’s been colored. Just look at it that way :) You know, refined sugar! lol

Your pimento dip looking amazing. I am editing cheese-based photos for a recipe going out this week as I type this!

• Ellen replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 12:54 pm

AAhhh cheese. I look forward to this.

Ellen — October 13, 2012 at 5:41 pm

And congrats on the nomination! Sorry I got so excited about pumpkin I forgot to write that first, hehe

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — October 13, 2012 at 7:00 pm

yay beta carotene!! all these recipes look fabulous!

Laura Dembowski — October 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm

There are a lot of orange foods in the fall. And I love them all

Heidi kokborg — October 14, 2012 at 3:23 am

It all looks sooo good! I could seriosly eat all of it! :)

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — October 14, 2012 at 6:29 am

A list of recipes by color – I love it! What a gorgeous array of recipes. I’m especially loving the looks of those sweet potato french toast sticks. I dunno … I actually think they’re pretty beautiful. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 10:07 am

I think they’re pretty beautiful too! But I have gotten some nose-turned-up-at-them kind of comments. Sometimes comfort food isn’t always pretty, even though I love the way they look. Lol

Emily @ www.main-eats.com — October 14, 2012 at 7:13 am

Way to go!!! Love the orange!

Michele Sparrow — October 14, 2012 at 7:21 am

But of course you are one of the top 25 blogs!! You are getting so famous and it is WELL deserved! Yay for you! (Don’t forget about us little peeps with no blogs whatsoever!) :-)

Nice roundup of orange recipes. I love the pumpkin chocolate chip bundt cake with the the chocolate ganache. It’s such a festive and cozy looking dessert and doesn’t disappoint once it is on a plate, either! I think I told you I was going to make that for a harvest party and I did so. It was oohed and ahhed over and every single piece was eaten. It would be a great autumn table centerpiece, if it could remain whole and last for a while! :-)

My favorite recipes this time of year are the apple, cinnamon, pumpkin, cherry desserts and breads and butters. Anything fall that has to bake or bubble is just fine by me for making a happy family and the house smell fantastic!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 10:06 am

Well after almost 4 years at this, and really finding my clearer voice the past couple, finally things are starting to click and it’s been so fun! And thank you, Michele, for reading 99% of all those posts and commenting on them all over the years! Seriously, I heart you :) And all the glowing, supportive, wonderful comments you leave and our friendship! xoxo

I am so happy to hear you made that cake and that you loved it and that everyone else oohed and ahhed! That makes me so happy! :)

Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian — October 14, 2012 at 7:30 am

Those butterfinger bars look a little TOO good. I love the idea of the sweet potato french toast sticks too!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 10:04 am

And they’re so easy – yes a little too good and easy :)

Valerie — October 14, 2012 at 8:22 am

I’ll have two of everything, please! The sweet potato graham cracker french toast sticks are lovely! (If I had a band, that’s the name I would use.) :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 10:04 am

That would make a great band name, wouldn’t it! And thanks for the pin. I am drooling over your cake board BTW!

Katie — October 14, 2012 at 9:57 am

I am all about soup at this time of year. I just roasted a butternut squash that I’m going to make into soup later today. And for some reason this year I’ve been craving muffins instead of cookies, which is really strange!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 10:02 am

Sounds like you’re ready for fall w/ the roasted squash, soup, and muffins. And yes, can’t wait to hear about your muffin adventures rather than cookies!

Gena — October 14, 2012 at 10:07 am

I have a particular soft spot for your red pepper/root veggie/coconut milk soups! They’re simple, delicious, and beautifully thick and rich looking. Nice round up!

Loretta E — October 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I will never, repeat NEVER turn my nose up at sweet potato stuff. They’re just too dang good….Everything looks awesome and congrats on the nomination!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Thanks, Loretta! Those little sweet potato sticks are so darn good. They are almost like candy! Sweet potatoes really to being with are almost candy-like as potatoes go, and then all doctored up, mmmm, love those stick!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — October 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm

one of the top 25 food blogs from skinny scoop? Averie, you are ON FIRE. See? All of these late nights and very very hard work is paying off girl. I’m SO SO SO happy for you. Incredible, AMAZING.

Orange is actually my favorite color. :) I have an orange yoga mat and orange weights. I have an orange pair of jeans I practically wear EVERYDAY and my favorite scarf has oranges and purples in it!! Sooooooo yeah, I love this time of year to say the least. Orange recipes without pumpkin are scarce on my blog, but I love my Butterfinger Cookies! Butterfingers were my favorite candy bar growing up. I would order dairy queen blizzards with chocolate ice cream and crushed butterfingers. :) I must make your homemade version though. I still cannot believe it all starts with CANDY CORN!!!!! And those little candy corn cookie dough pretzel bites. It’s like you knew me before we “met” – those have my name written ALL OVER IT!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 2:40 pm

As I’ve told a few other people, after almost 4 years at this, finally things are starting to click into place and it’s been a wild, amazing ride :)

I bet you look amazing in orange! I love yellow & wearing it. I don’t look as good in orange as I do in yellow and there are times I hate orange LOL and other times I think it’s gorgeous. It depends on the item, be it throw pillows, scarf, cake :) Jeans! I wanna pair of orange jeans now, too :)

People made fun of those little candy corn/cookie dough/pretzel bites and they were criticized for being too out there. But it seems 2 years later, everyone is adding either cookie dough, pretzels, or candy corn…to just about everything :)

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — October 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm

i love all things orange! awesome girl! Hope you had a great weekend

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Been thinking about you – hope all is well & your weekend was CALM! :)

jackie @ marin mama cooks — October 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Hey girl! Those butterfinger bars look to die for. I have to make those up for the kids. They would actually be a great treat for a school Halloween celebration, don’t you think? I also have bookmarked those pumpkin whoopie pies. I haven’t made whoopie pies in over a year so it’s about time. I’m making up the bundt cake this week with your additions and that yummy glaze. It will be more like dessert rather than an after school snack.
    I thought we were pumpkined out with the three batches of pumpkin poppers that I whipped up last week, but apparently not. I’m craving pumpkin right now. I think it’s because I’ve had WAY too much sugar this past week between the birthday cake and the poppers. Have a great Sunday girl!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 2:36 pm

As I just told another commenter, Cara ‘It’s one of the best cakes I’ve ever made! Seriously, it’s amazing. Another commenter and trusted friend, Michele, who also commented in this post – commented that she made the cake and it got rave reviews by everyone. Please LMK if you make it & how it goes. It’s a super easy whisk-only no-mixer cake that comes together in 3 mins!’

So LMK if you make it! I know you make one that’s similar but this is slightly more doctored up w/ yogurt/sour cream/greek yogurt (pick your poison! lol) and it’s just so moist!

and the butterfingers take like 5 mins to make from start to finish. They are so close to the real thing it’s crazy! Whoopie pies – other than creaming the buttercream, FAST. Whisk-only batter.

• jackie @ marin mama cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Hi Averie! I will totally let you know when I make it. I showed Zoe your photo just now and she was like “OMG, you have to make that tomorrow mom!” I also told her it would be moister than the one I make and she was psyched about that as well. Making dinner in the slow cooker and I love it. We just got home from an afternoon of biking and it’s like someone was home making dinner, the house smells so good.

Cara's Healthy Cravings — October 14, 2012 at 1:52 pm

You have inspired me to make that bundt cake! Looks so good. I have to brings a cake to an event this coming Sat. and I am pretty sure this cake fits the bill. Thanks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — October 14th, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Jess — October 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Congrats on the nomination! Your blog is so beautiful, much deserved! Those recipes all look awesome. The casserole is already on my rotation and I’ve gotta have a go at that veggie lasagne and the frittatas!

Erin|The Law Students Wife — October 14, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Um, sweet potato french toast sticks?? YES PLEASE! I also love how you created a post centered on generating ideas around a single ingredient. So seasonal and gets the creative juices flowing. Thanks Averie!

JoJo — October 14, 2012 at 9:48 pm

pumpkin banana bread is the winner for me.. at this moment.
    I’m definitely craving a pumpkin-something.. :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — October 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I love anything hearty this time of year … or anything “spiced.”

Baker Street — October 14, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I’m not surprised you’re one of the top 25 food blogs from skinny scoop! Go Averie! Love the color and the fruit! YAY for fall and all these delicious recipes :)

Abby@ Totes Delish — October 15, 2012 at 5:26 am

I’ll take them all! I can’t get enough of the gorgeous orange color in the trees and the food this time of year!

Bree — October 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

Everything looks great, but I am especially loving those fritters!

nicole marie — October 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm

The vegan option of the Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato looks simply delicious.
    I am debating on whether or not I can concoct this and consume in a healthy fashion.
    Very nutritious.
    To whom do you feed all of this gorgeous food? Your family?
    My goodness!
    What a pretty house of food you have.

La Torontoise — October 16, 2012 at 2:04 am

Did the veggie lasagna this weekend! What an experience! Magnificient result.
    Thank you, Averie. Love your pictures!
    All the best from the Netherlands!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — October 16, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Your roasted sweet potato soup is on my to-do list!