Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars

My grandma used to make bars like these but she used pink and green marshmallows.

And she used peanut butter, but I went with Biscoff, twice.

Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars from | @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

These bars come together in less five minutes, are virtually work-free, and taste far more decadent and indulgent than you’d imagine something that’s so easy to make could taste. They’d make a great last minute holiday treat for a party. Or make them for a special night with your couch and remote control.

My grandma’s version of these bars, and many similar recipes, use peanut butter. I’m a peanut butter fiend, but also have a soft spot for Biscoff and it’s sweet, cinnamon-ginger pop. I couldn’t resist re-making a childhood favorite with it.

Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars from | @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Biscoff Spread, Cookie Butter, and Speculasspasta are nearly interchangeable and in this recipe, use whatever is available. I’m in Aruba, a Dutch island, and used Dutch Speculaaspasta, the Dutch equivalent of Biscoff Spread.

I’m convinced that Speculaaspasta and Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter are the same product, simply labeled differently. Even the glass jars are identical.

To make the bars, combine chocolate chips and Biscoff Spread in a large microwave-safe bowl and melt them. Peanut butter may be used and the recipe will work, but the telltale cinnamon-and-gingery kick will be absent. Adding hearty pinches of cinnamon and ground ginger to peanut butter or almond butter, and a sprinkling of crushed graham cracker crumbs is a workaround, although not quite the same.

To the sweetly-spiced chocolate puddle, add marshmallows, and one cup of chopped Biscoff cookies. Trader Joe’s sells knock-off Biscoff cookies called Bistro Biscuits, or chop two full-size cinnamon-graham crackers. After coating the marshmallows and chopped cookies with the sweetly-spiced warm chocolate, transfer the mixture to a foil-lined small baking pan and smooth it.

I sprinkled a small handful of chocolate chips over the top both for texture contrast and to boost the chocolate intensity, not that these thick bricks were lacking in the chocolate department.

Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars from | @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Allow the bars to set up for at least two hours in the refrigerator before slicing. Freezing the pan is acceptable if you’re in a rush like I always am. I store the bars in the freezer here and they never really freeze solid. When it comes to dense or dark chocolaty treats like brownies or rich bars, chilling them makes even more satisfying. Plus, chocolate begins to melt the minute it comes into contact with the warm, humid Caribbean air.

The recipe is ripe for substitutions based on what you have on hand and enjoy. Add slivered almonds, macadamia nuts, or a handful of shredded coconut to the batter. Omit the Biscoff cookies or graham crackers and instead use Nilla wafers or chopped Oreos. Sprinkle white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, peanut butter or butterscotch chips, toffee bits, diced peanut butter cups, or Rolos on top. Mix and match until your heart’s content because the melted chocolate-Biscoff mixture will happily drench and coat most anything.

Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars from | @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

The bars are rich, dense, thick, and full of diverse texture. Soft and sweet marshmallows are the perfect squishy complement to the solidified melted chocolate. I like the striking visual contrast of the white and dark, too.

The chopped cookies add welcome crunch and serve to boost the overall cinnamon-ginger flavor profile. Although I’ll never say no to peanut butter and chocolate, pairing Biscoff twice with chocolate is a good call.

Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars from | @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Make sure you have napkins handy, especially if you’re sharing them with a five year old. Or are just embracing your own inner five year old.

The best part of all is that they take less than five minutes to make.

Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars from | @Averie Sunshine {Averie Cooks}

Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars (No-Bake)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: One 8-by-8 inch pan, 9 very generous squares

These no-bake bars are virtually work-free and come together in less than 5 minutes. Sweet, fluffy marshmallows and chopped Biscoff Cookies (or graham crackers) are drenched in a bath of melted chocolate and Biscoff Spread (or Cookie Butter Spread). The bars are rich, dense, and taste far more decadent and indulgent than you’d imagine something that’s so easy to make.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, for melting

1/3 cup Creamy Biscoff Spread or Cookie Butter Spread (peanut butter may be substituted although the flavor will not be the same)

3 to 3 1/2 cups mini-marshmallows

1 cup Biscoff Cookies (10 to 12 cookies) or Bistro Biscuits, roughly chopped (substitute with about 2 full-size sheets chopped (cinnamon) graham crackers)

1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, for sprinkling (white chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter, or cinnamon chips may be substituted)

Directions:

Line an 8-by-inch pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, add 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and heat on high power for 1 minute to soften and begin to melt. Add Biscoff spread and heat on high power for 30 seconds to melt, stirring to combine. Heat in 15-second bursts until the mixture can be stirred smooth, taking care not to overheat it.

Add the marshmallows, Biscoff cookies, and toss to coat evenly. Pour mixture into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula. Sprinkle 1/4 cup chocolate chips evenly over the top. Place pan in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set-up, or until chilled and bars can be sliced. Bars will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week, in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 3 months. I prefer to keep them in the freezer (mine don't freeze solid) and serve them chilled.

Optional Variations: Add slivered almonds, macadamia nuts, or a handful of shredded coconut to the batter. Omit the Biscoff cookies or graham crackers and instead use Nilla wafers or chopped Oreos. Sprinkle white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, peanut butter or butterscotch chips, toffee bits, diced peanut butter cups, or Rolos on top. Mix and match as desired.

Related Recipes:

Chocolate Banana and Biscoff Graham Bars – Bananas and chocolate are a great pairing and adding Biscoff before baking it all into a melted and gooey layered bar is a great way to use those ripe bananas

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Chocolate Frosting – Made with melted peanut butter, butterscotch chips, and are full of soft marshmallows and topped with chocolate frosting

Cookie Butter Spread Ginger Molasses Cookies (No Bake, Vegan, with GF option) – Soft gingerbread and molasses cookies are some of my favorites, but the dough is even better. Robustly-spiced with holiday flavors and drizzled with chocolate, these cookie dough bites are fast and easy to make for a last-minute treat

Cookie Butter Funfetti Triple Chip Bars – An easy bar pairing Cookie Butter and three kinds of baking chips. Reminiscent of a Seven Layer Bar, but made with Funfetti, melted sweetened condensed milk and Cookie Butter

No-Bake Peanut Butter Biscoff Cookie Dough Bites (Vegan, almost GF with easy adaptation) – Made with peanut butter and Biscoff cookies, or try them with Biscoff and Biscoff Cookies. There’s no wrong way to combine Biscoff and chocolate into no-bake truffles or cookie dough bites

Marshmallow Caramel Oreo Cookie S’Mores Bars – A chocolaty and butter crisp Oreo cookie crust base, topped with melted caramels, gooey marshmallows, and chocolate chips for an indoor, easy, and very gooey version of s’mores

Do you like Biscoff or Cookie Butter spread?

Feel free to link your favorite recipes or tell me about them. And if you’ve never made anything with them, and simply dip your spoon into the jar, I can relate.

105 Responses to “Biscoff Marshmallow Chocolate Bars”

Erica — December 19, 2012 at 1:29 am

I still have not tried biscoff! I think im afraid ill consume the jar in one sitting! Delicious treat. Love the chocolate addition

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:25 am

And now you have the new TJs in your area, you have to try the Cookie Butter!

Herbivore Triathlete — December 19, 2012 at 2:45 am

Like Erica, I have never tried biscoff spread. I’ve seen it at the store and been tempted to buy it, but haven’t yet. Maybe it’s time…

Leanne @ healthful pursuit — December 19, 2012 at 3:26 am

Wow, every time I visit I’m reminded of how badly we need a trader joes here in Canada!

I’ve never heard of biscoff… Sounds intriguing. Being allergic to peanuts, I never got to have those peanut butter + marshmallow squares, but I know exactly which ones you’re talking about!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:25 am

You’ve never heard of Biscoff? And you’re allergic to peanuts (how did I know not/remember this??) .. okay well Biscoff/Cookie Butter is the answer to your prayers! I’m sure you’ve had sunflower seed butter, Nutella, and all kinds of gourmet nut butters or spreads & now you HAVE to try Biscoff or similar.

And per your comment reply re stuffing post-Thanksgiving. You know maybe some people serve it with Xmas dinners and such, but not where I grew up. I really peaks as a Thanksgiving food. But then again maybe others do eat it for Xmas.

• Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 10:59 am

Okay, so I had to google Biscoff. It’s ground up cookie? What the… I need to make this. Not sure they have gluten-free kinds out there, so I’ll just make it myself. Wow.

So interesting about stuffing! You’re not the only one that’s told me that stuffing is a Thanksgiving thing more than Christmas. Now I know!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 11:06 am

Pulverized gingersnap/gingerbread cookies. But there’s plenty of ginger, molasses, cinnamon and a robust kick. I also am unsure about the oil b/c it’s not a greasy spread but a bit more dry. Not dry, but not like a ‘natural PB’ and definitely not drippy like almond butter. It’s a little project of mine coming up to recreate :) I’ve seen other recipes online for it and for various reasons, none really have caught my eye so I need to get to work and figure it out on my own.

Good to know Im not the only person who said that about stuffing, too. I thought I was just missing something!? :)

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — December 19, 2012 at 4:01 am

My grandma made those same bars, I’ve completely forgotten about them until you mentioned them! I love how you changed it up, yummy!

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks — December 19, 2012 at 4:54 am

Love how simple, quick, and easy these are to make. Now, if only we could get our hands on biscoff in Canada! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:22 am

I’m sure you’ve checked on shipping from their site (I linked it in the post) but I can totally appreciate the frustration of not having it available in the grocery store!

angela @ Canned Time — December 19, 2012 at 4:59 am

I always look forward to your trips to Aruba cause I know you’ll come up with something Biscoff-tacular!
    I’m certain your Grandma would approve of this version as well :) Take care there!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:21 am

It’s wouldn’t be a trip here without plenty of no-bake (bar) recipes, Biscoff, PB, and some Nutella!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 19, 2012 at 6:12 am

Yes, please! This looks so tasty Averie!

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection — December 19, 2012 at 6:17 am

I love these but have never tried them with Biscoff spread and cookies. While I love peanut butter, I have a soft spot for the cinnamon-gingersnap delicious-ness of Biscoff spread too. Definitely need to give this recipe a try!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:20 am

New spin on an old fave for me and if you like Biscoff, I’m sure you’d be a fan, too!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — December 19, 2012 at 6:22 am

I’m about to get to work on a biscoff project this morning. :) These bars sound heavenly! I’m a sucker for anything and everything involving marshmallows. I love that you put a modern spin on something your grandma used to make!

bev @ bevcooks — December 19, 2012 at 6:33 am

Give this to me. Now.

Joanne — December 19, 2012 at 6:42 am

I’m all for putting biscoff in just about everything lately! Mostly into my belly straight from the jar. :P but I love this take on a childhood classic!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:19 am

I need to bake or make things with it or the jars just disappear on their own! :)

Paula — December 19, 2012 at 6:53 am

Biscoff…addictive definitely describes it! I have to try and hide it in the back of my freezer so I don’t go crazy on it with a spoon. I was actually wondering if you would post a Biscoff recipe while you were in Aruba and here it is! Your no bake treats are so fun..lots of options for random bits of leftover chips and goodies. I love all that chocolate holding them together!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:18 am

And if you like Biscoff, you have to also try Nutella (per your comment yesterday) – totally different but may as well try all my fave spreads. And yes couldn’t be here without a Biscoff recipe…you know me well :)

marie @ little kitchie — December 19, 2012 at 7:38 am

I haven’t ever used Biscoff! I need to try it though… these look absolutely decadent. Love how quick they are too – we need more recipes like this around this time of year!

Made your cake batter funfetti blondies last night and we’ll be enjoying them today at school for our Christmas party! I may or may not have snuck a taste ;) DELICIOUS!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 10:13 am

I’m so happy to hear that you made the Funfetti Blondies! LMK how they were received & went over (and glad you already snuck a taste :) )

Ashley — December 19, 2012 at 7:43 am

What is it with grandma’s and colored treats? Mine ALWAYS used red and green food coloring in cookies… whether or not it was Christmas haha. These look so easy (and good)!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 10:12 am

Mine used sprinkles in everything, even when it wasn’t Xmas :)

Katie — December 19, 2012 at 7:46 am

Oh. My.GOD.

My grandma used to make a boring version of these all the time! I think she went with the standard, Midwestern version using pb, chocolate chips, and graham crackers. She may even have mixed in butterscotch chips. This just reminds me of my grandma. Thanks for that.

Erin | The Law Student's Wife — December 19, 2012 at 7:51 am

Oh my, these look yummy! I love how something that comes together so quickly can still be a decadent treat. I’m road tripping home for Christmas this weekend and had making granola bars for our car snacks in the back of my head. I might have to go sweeter with these instead. Memo to self: pack the wet wipes ;-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 10:12 am

I was on your site last night and saw your orange bread. I was thinking how good that looked and granola bars sound great, too!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — December 19, 2012 at 8:00 am

If these aren’t the epitome of a gooey, perfect, ultra-decadence, I don’t know what is. They’re honestly mind-blowing how ridiculously indulgent and scrumptious they look, Averie!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. — December 19, 2012 at 8:16 am

oh I must try these!! TOO GOOD

Haley — December 19, 2012 at 8:29 am

OMG these look delicious! I love cookie butter spread!

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — December 19, 2012 at 8:37 am

I’m hopping on a plane and coming over. Besides, I’m certain that these taste better when shared with friends :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 10:11 am

And I would have LOVED to share. Lord knows we do not lack for treats around here!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — December 19, 2012 at 8:43 am

My grandma used to make these with green and red marshmallows, too! Though, I must say that I like the sound of yours more! :)

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — December 19, 2012 at 9:10 am

I’ve never tried any of those delicious spreads that people always talk about! I need to change that.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 10:10 am

No.way! You need to change that, asap! I can see a Biscoff/Beer recipe coming now :)

Sue/the view from great island — December 19, 2012 at 9:11 am

I think you out-did your grandma, but her green and pink marshmallows version sounds pretty cute. No wonder you turned into a peanut butter fiend.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 10:09 am

I bet you’ve had similar treats – I think they were a staple of every potluck type function for a couple decades – at least where I grew up!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — December 19, 2012 at 9:33 am

Any bar with Biscoff two ways is my kind of bar!

Sydney @ The Crepes of Wrath — December 19, 2012 at 9:36 am

Yum! I love biscoff – I had it in Belgium when I was a kid, but didn’t realize it was just melted gingerbread until a few years ago, haha.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 10:08 am

I need to work on a homemade version – pulverizing gingerbread/snaps sounds like fun work :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — December 19, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’ve actually never had either Biscoff or the spread. These look like the perfect treat to take to a holiday party!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — December 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

I made something similar last year but that was waaaay before I discovered Biscoff. Now I want these!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 11:08 am

And I relinked to one I made in 2009 in the related recipe (eeek, the pics!) and yes, way before I discovered Biscoff, too!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — December 19, 2012 at 10:50 am

at times, i can’t even keep cookie butter in the house because I cannot be trusted around it. However, putting it into a recipe like this.. i think I can make an exception and hoard the TJs shelves. Who am I kidding? I already have a jar in the pantry and the only “recipe” i’ve used it for is spreading on crackers.

All that chocolate and the marshmallows, this recipe is screaming “make me!” “make me!” as I sit here in the office wishing I was in the kitchen! the extra biscoff cookies inside – i would LOVE the texture those bring to the squares. wow, these look so good averie! Such a simple, quick yet creative little decadent dessert. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 11:08 am

I already have a jar in the pantry and the only “recipe” i’ve used it for is spreading on crackers. <– you’re a step ahead of me most times. Because I just use a spoon, no crackers :)

And this is such an easy one, Sally. New spin on classic favorite! The pastel marshmallows circa 1986 have been updated! And it’s a texture junkie’s DREAM dessert. You would love love love it!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — December 19, 2012 at 11:10 am

Love these. Love how neatly you cut them! When I first looked at the pics I actually thought you used a circular cereal grain, like Kix, they look so neat and tidy. And I love how they are a simple, straightforward, but delicious treat. Making these to share with friends tomorrow. Thanks, girl!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 11:13 am

Funny you should say they’re neat…they WERE neat when I cut them, nearly frozen. And in 3 mins in Caribbean air, they started melting. And oh boy. Nothing like some melting choc for food photos that’s not supposed to be melting!

And if you make them, please report back!

a farmer in the dell — December 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I guess I can take my spoon out of my cookie butter jar and make these lovely bars. Thanks for the recipe!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — December 19, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Another winner!! I love the name of the spread you can get in Aruba, 14 letters :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Dutch is such a long-winded language. The words are soooo long :)

marla — December 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

These bars look great Averie ~ perfect for holiday parties!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Your photos are so good! I do like Biscoff, but you can’t’ buy it here, so I have only had one jar before.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Hope you get to try more & thanks for the photo compliments!

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — December 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I totally love those peanut butter marshmallow squares and these look delicious too!

Ashley - Baker by Nature — December 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm

THESE… these are pure genius, Averie! You’re the Queen of Bars. End of story.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

LOL – my entire month was practically bars this month :)

vanillasugarblog — December 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm

while at trader joe’s last week i grabbed the last 3 jars of cookie butter.
    and i did this with a huge sigh of relief.
    you know you’re a foodie when you breathe in a sigh of relief.
    did you also see the red pepper jelly was back? so happy!

Laura Dembowski — December 19, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I love how flexible this recipe is. Sometimes there’s nothing better than a recipe that brings out the inner five year old in all of us.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — December 19, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Wow! These look heavenly! I just made your cinnamon sugar pretzels…and I added Biscoff. I love that stuff SO much!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 19th, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I made those pretzels again for my husband last week! Good thinking on the Biscoff addition!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — December 19, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I am the same way – I love peanut butter, but have a soft spot for Biscoff. It gets me every time :)
    These bars look heavenly!

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — December 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Marshmallow and chocolate equal pure bliss!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oh what a fabulous bar!!! I love marshmallow bars and it has been so long since I have made any. We have a work party on Friday, thinking I’ll whip up batch, after all you know I have Cokie Butter in the cupboard!!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — December 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Bingo, that’s what I will make for that party we are invited! Thank you, Averie! :)
    Yes, I love Biscoff, we all do, it never stays in our home longer than two days. Those little once are so addictive!
    You know, I’ve been looking at this post and thinking: how did you manage to make such a perfect cut? :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 20th, 2012 at 7:25 am

Must have them WELL-CHILLED before the knife comes out and lots of practice botching many not-so-clean cuts :)

carrian — December 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I have to hurry and say that I think these look divine because I just saw the previous post that I missed and I’m drrroooolllliiiinnngg

Jan — December 20, 2012 at 12:20 am

This sounds like another clean out your pantry cookie. Lol. I have never had cookie butter but the biscoff I’ve tasted with a spoon was just ok. But the Nutella now that’s a different story!

Jen @ Savory Simple — December 20, 2012 at 5:36 am

I’m not sure about these so you should definitely send me a large batch to test… oh who am I kidding, I’m in love with these.

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — December 20, 2012 at 6:01 am

i couldn’t find biscoff, but i bet my tj’s has cookie butter!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 20th, 2012 at 7:17 am

I’m sue it does! Places like Target, Walmart, Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, random dollar store places, different grocery chains – I’ve seen Biscoff at all those places (some of them very random!)

Luv What You Do — December 20, 2012 at 6:42 am

OMG Averie! These bars adn I could be best friends! They look amazing!

Dana — December 20, 2012 at 7:31 am

I cannot get enough of this stuff! Especially in baking. These look like rice crispie treats on steroids. Definitely going on my to-bake list!

Valerie — December 20, 2012 at 9:58 am

Oh, these look so deliciously messy! Graham crackers and Biscoff sound like an irresistible duo! (Of course marshmallows and chocolate are welcome to any party.) :D

Molly @ Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips — December 20, 2012 at 10:44 am

I have always wondered what to do with Biscoff spread! It looks and tastes so yummy but other than putting on er bread? ya can’t even think of anything.. a cookie? hahaha had no idea. Love this!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 20th, 2012 at 10:58 am

Well I have tons of recipes using Biscoff/cookiebutter, many of them linked in this post – because yes, I need to USE it other than just…use a spoon on it.