Peppermint White Hot Chocolate

During the winter, I love drinking a warm mug of hot chocolate, especially before bed.

And preferably white chocolate hot chocolate, infused with peppermint. And of course, plenty of marshmallows.

Don’t get me wrong, I love coffee; the flavor, the aroma, and the way it makes me feel warm and cozy as I sip it. However, as much as I’m addicted to the caffeine in coffee, I’m hooked on the ritual of savoring a warm beverage.

Even though I’m fairly immune to caffeine’s effects, even I can’t drink coffee and go bed. White hot chocolate comes in handy when I want to feel warm and toasty but don’t want to be up all night. I usually sleep like a baby after a mug of this kind of warm milk.

I like hot chocolate made with both cocoa powder or with white chocolate, depending on my mood. For sleeping purposes, white is preferred to dark since it doesn’t have caffeine. Truthfully though, the caffeine in regular chocolate never keeps me up. I can eat a Quintuple Chocolate Fudgy Brownie Cookie and go right to bed and sleep peacefully.

Whether it’s coffee or hot chocolate, I like it really hot, on the sweet side, very creamy, and I like to have a little coffee with my cup of creamer.

I enjoy the seasonally availabe Coffee-Mate Peppermint Mocha creamer, occasionally found year-round at select Target stores in my area. It’s sweet and minty without being overpowering.

The flavor of the peppermint white hot chocolate is reminiscent of the peppermint creamer, but it’s made from all-natural ingredients, no funky syrups required. The recipe can easily be halved, doubled, or tripled and comes together in five minutes from start to finish.

Add four cups of milk to a large microwave-safe bowl. I use 2% milk because it’s a nice balance between richness and creaminess without gluttony. I could happily and easily drink a mug melted white chocolate and heavy cream, but I like to be able to zip my jeans.

Adding a splash of half-and-half to each mug before serving is also a good trick to add a touch of luxury without being ridiculous. Feel free to use almond, soy, goat, or any milk you desire. I don’t know if coconut milk goes with peppermint, but feel free.

Add one heaping cup white chocolate chips, about six to eight ounces, to the milk. A chopped white chocolate baking or candy bar may be used instead of white chocolate chips. Don’t use white almond bark or white chocolate candy melts. They are made for candy-making and the packaging explicitly indicates they’re not to be mixed with milk or water or they will seize; and you’d have a gloppy mess.

Heat the mixture on high power for about ninety seconds, up to about two minutes. Cooking times will vary by microwave but the mixture should be very warm, but don’t let it boil. White chocolate is notorious for scorching so keep a watchful eye. You could do this over the stovetop and low heat, but at midnight when I crave this, the microwave is infinitely easier and faster.

Stir or whisk the mixture until it’s smooth and the white chocolate chips have melted. Then add the peppermint extract. Adding anywhere from one-quarter to three-quarters of one teaspoon is probably where most people will enjoy the beverage, but the extract should be added slowly and to taste.

I mention these items every time I call for peppermint extract in a recipe: It’s infinitely stronger and more potent than vanilla extract and a little goes a very long way. One-quarter teaspoon of peppermint extract is extremely noticeable whereas I’d hardly bat an eye at the same quantity of vanilla extract. You can’t un-do or mask it once added, so start slowly, taste drink, and add more if necessary.

There are different types of mint extracts including peppermint, spearmint, wintermint, and mint. I use generic store-brand peppermint extract. There’s also peppermint oil and because I don’t use it, I don’t know how much would be needed.

After stirring in the peppermint extract, I like to transfer the mixture to my Vita-Mix for a quick buzz to make sure any white chocolate bits are fully blended, and to fluff it up and add froth. It’s an optional step and sometimes I don’t do it if I don’t want to dirty my blender, but a thirty second whirl is nice. I love froth. Plus, marshmallows sit nicely on top of a frothy shelf rather than sinking.

Garnishing with marshmallows is also optional, but recommended because everything tastes better with marshmallows. They soften and absorb some of the sweet minty liquid and are prized little floating globes.

I could drink mug after mug of this creamy white elixir. I’m a huge white chocolate fan but it’s nice to break up that sweetness and the peppermint is soothing and palate-cleansing. It counterbalances the sweetness from the white chocolate without feeling like I just drank Listerine.

I’ve tried peppermint creamers and peppermint specialty drinks from coffee shops and sometimes the peppermint is far too overwhelming to even enjoy the drink. I prefer peppermint-infused rather than peppermint-takeover.

The best part is that it takes less than five minutes to make.

And I can be slurping in no time.

Peppermint White Hot Chocolate

Prep Time: 3 minutes

Cook Time: 2 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: about 5 cups

White hot chocolate is a nice twist on traditional hot chocolate. It's sweet and creamy and this version includes peppermint, which balances the sweetness. The peppermint adds a refreshing element, without being over-powering. The flavor of the hot chocolate reminds me of a favorite peppermint specialty coffee creamer, minus the artificial ingredients. It's comforting, soothing, easy, and ready in under than 5 minutes. Recipe can easily be halved, doubled, or tripled.

Ingredients:

4 cups 2% milk (whole, soy, almond, goat, half-and-half, cream, heavy cream or any combination of milks desired may be used)

1 heaping cup white chocolate chips (6 to 8 ounces) or white chocolate bar, chopped

1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (see note below)

mini marshmallows for garnishing, optional

Directions:

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk (I use 2% but use the type of milk or cream in preferred combinations) and the white chocolate and heat on high power for about ninety seconds, up to about two minutes. Cooking times will vary by microwaves but the mixture should be very warm, but don’t allow it to boil. White chocolate is notorious for scorching so keep a watchful eye. You could do this over the stovetop and low heat, but I prefer the microwave for ease.

Stir or whisk the mixture until it’s smooth and the white chocolate chips have melted. Add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract and stir to incorporate. Taste the mixture and determine if more is desired. I use about 1/2 teaspoon in this recipe, but this will vary based on brand of extract and personal taste presences. Notes - Peppermint extract is infinitely stronger and more potent than vanilla extract and a little goes a very long way, it cannot be un-done or masked once added, so start slowly, taste the beverage, and add more if desired, to taste.

After stirring in the peppermint extract, optionally transfer the mixture to a blender and whirl for about 30 seconds, helping to ensure all white chocolate bits are fully blended, and to create froth. Pour into mugs an optionally garnish with mini-marshmallows. Serve immediately.

Related Recipes:

Old-Fashioned Butter Mints (no-bake, gluten-free)

Homemade Thin Mints – (no-bake, vegan, gluten-free)

Creme de Menthe Bars (No-Bake, Vegan, GF)

Triple Layer Fudgy Mint Oreo Brownies

Eggnog Chai Smoothie

Do you like hot chocolate – white or regular?

Peppermint fan? White chocolate fan?

I do love coffee and nothing will ever take it’s place but rotating in hot chocolate is a nice change-up.

Mint, especially this time of year, is perfect; whereas white chocolate is a year-round love. Here are 50 white chocolate recipes because I just can’t get enough of it.

78 Responses to “Peppermint White Hot Chocolate”

The Ninja Baker — December 6, 2012 at 12:29 am

Averie’s Peppermint White Hot Chocolate is being sent by express e-mail to my sister. She has a similar chocolate ritual before bed. As do I.

And as a fellow froth fan, I can vouch for the blender trick.

=)

Ellen — December 6, 2012 at 1:24 am

I’m a weirdo who would probably order a hot chocolate on ice-I don’t care for any chocolate dessert that has been warmed.
    I loooove me some peppermint though! I can see making this drink for myself then putting it in the fridge because the flavor sounds great!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 6th, 2012 at 6:54 am

I’m going to make this and ice it down, too – and see what happens. Sometimes when working with melted chocolate, chilling it will cause the choc to re-solidify and cause issues but I’m going to try anyway!

• Ellen replied: — December 6th, 2012 at 11:57 pm

If it starts to solidify maybe it could be blended and be like a shake!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:07 am

Exactly – frappucino style. There are no ‘wrong’ ways here :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — December 6, 2012 at 3:08 am

while i adore coffee and religiously drink it every single day (i’m not joking – over 3 cups per day – I am an addict), i do enjoy a creamy hot chocolate from time to time in the chilly months. Creamy being the word of importance here – need it thick and creamy and NEVER made with water. I’ve never made white hot chocolate at home before, but when I make my own hot chocolate, I use creamer + almond milk, cocoa powder + chocolate chips. I adore that peppermint mocha creamer – in fact, i just had some last weekend at my sister’s. we made peppermint mocha coffee and stirred in peppermint mocha creamer. overload? never.

i have to make this white hot chocolate at home sometime – it just looks SO fluffy and creamy and I can imagine it going down well just before bed. I’d sleep happily like a baby after one of these!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 6th, 2012 at 6:53 am

Sally you would love tihs! It’s everything I know you love – the creamy, sweet, white chocolate focus; and with the mint! And really, it’s a 4-5 min microwave project, tops. So easy. Too easy!

And your peppermint mocha coffee and stirred in peppermint mocha creamer sounds about perfect to me. This is almost like drinking a mug of the peppermint creamer, and for me, that’s a beautiful thing :)

And only 3 cups? That’s nothing!

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — December 6, 2012 at 3:45 am

I’ve never made nor drank white hot chocolate. But I think that’s something I need to do very very soon. It looks so pretty and festive!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — December 6, 2012 at 5:11 am

This is my dream hot drink for the holidays. Love this Averie!!

Erica — December 6, 2012 at 5:48 am

I can totally drink coffee and go to bed- so bad!! This sounds delicious. I actually had my first peppermint mocha from starbucks and was shocked how much I enjoyed it (I’m not usually a peppermint gal). I’ll have to try this!

Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection — December 6, 2012 at 6:12 am

I love the marshmallow overload! The marshmallows are my favorite part about hot chocolate. Need to try this white chocolate version!!

Paula — December 6, 2012 at 6:21 am

This sounds like the perfect nightcap. I think I could easily sip this any time of day while curled up on the couch! I saw the mention of peppermint oil. I was making a peppermint mocha and tried 1 measly drop of it in about 16 oz. of liquid. Waaaay too potent and kind of awful! I’d even be nervous about trying a drop in 32 oz of liquid. I’d definitely stick with extract for this recipe…it would be a shame to waste all that creamy white chocolate goodness!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 6th, 2012 at 6:50 am

Good call on the peppermint oil info – I have people write to me all the time with questions about it for my other p’mint recipes and I always say – be careful :) All this stuff varies so widely, from brand to brand, and oil to extract, etc. Sorry you messed up your mocha! And yes, this is a great nightcap – or an all-day sipping drink :)

Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen — December 6, 2012 at 6:26 am

MMm this is like comfort food (drink!). It’s making me relax just thinking about it

jackie @ marin mama cooks — December 6, 2012 at 6:35 am

I’m a coffee girl as well. I’m actually drinking a cup now as we speak. I only have it in the morning with breakfast though. If I have it any other time of day (even decaf) it will totally mess me up. I may have to try your warm, comforting white chocolate as I have been sleeping terribly the past two nights. I’ve been waking up between 2:00 and 4:00. It’s like I’m preparing for a newborn again :) I’m sure you’re not sipping on this before bed in Aruba. Your most likely sipping something cool and refreshing!
    Jackie

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 6th, 2012 at 6:48 am

Believe it or not, I am sort of seasonally-immune with beverages and can drink hot coffee in the dead of summer, hot chocolate here, and iced coffee in the winter. I do end up either sweating/shivering though if I take it too far :)

marie @ little kitchie — December 6, 2012 at 7:41 am

Sounds so good, Averie! Wish I had a big mug of this right now!!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — December 6, 2012 at 7:53 am

I would never tire of this white chocolate–ever! White chocolate hot chocolates are my favorite. So rich and dreamy–this peppermint infused version is on the top of my list!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 6th, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I can’t get all your 7 Layer bar recipes out of my head! Would never tire of those!

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty — December 6, 2012 at 8:36 am

I’ve discovered white hot chocolate this year and consider it a revelation. Soooo good. I would love a big piping mug before bed but I’m afraid the sugar will keep me awake. Wah waah.

Love the frothing trick and the ginormous pile of marshmallows!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — December 6, 2012 at 8:43 am

I love peppermint and all those mini marshmallows, wish I had a mug right now!

Vicki — December 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

I LOVE white hot chocolate with peppermint. I’m actually drinking some RIGHT NOW. ha :)

Jackie @ The Beeroness — December 6, 2012 at 9:27 am

This looks so good! I want to use a candy cane as a stir stick.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — December 6, 2012 at 9:36 am

I am in trouble now! I am a huge fan of white chocolate and this is my kind of hot chocolate for sure!!! Need to try this ASAP!

Angela @ AnotherBitePlease — December 6, 2012 at 10:20 am

I want to make this hot chocolate when we watch Polar Express with our kiddos…looks so yummy.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 6th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Oh how fun! You get points for being such a good mama! :)

Katie — December 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm

There is nothing worse than something that is over-pepperminted. I want to taste the treat, not toothpaste!

This looks delicious and I am also a huge fan of the warm beverage ritual. I switch to tea after my morning mug or three of coffee though. I will occasionally, around the holidays, partake in some hot chocolate or apple cider, but I like my tea.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — December 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm

This is gorgeous! I want to have one right now. :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — December 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

You already know I’m all about white chocolate ;-) I do like peppermint but in moderation. It can definitely get overwhelming fast.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:22 am

I wish I could make you this, and a drink, or anything else you want right now!

angela @ Canned Time — December 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Looks like heaven in a jar! Really yummy….I can relate to ‘over pepperminting’, I tried making your butter mints with the new NuNaturals liquid stevia peppermint and ruined the first batch…way too strong.
    Just a touch goes a long way! Enjoy the sun there :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:21 am

Oh wow, that is such good info about the NN Peppermint. I have tons of it on hand and never know what to do with it – but won’t be doing what you did! Eek! Thanks for the heads up!

Michele Sparrow — December 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Oh yes! White hot chocolate??! I absolutely love white chocolate. It is one of my favorite flavors of all time and yes, year round for me, too. I love the smell of peppermint, but although it is touted to soothe stomachs, it always makes mine a little queazy! So, I avoid it. But, it’s fun baking Christmas treats with candy canes and using it in other baking treats this time of year. With the fluffy marshmallows on top, this looks so wintery and frothy and delicious! :-)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:20 am

It’s a funny flavor – a little can help, too much can quickly hinder. Big time. Oh, I’ve been there! :)

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — December 6, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I am a complete white chocolate freak! I love it, and this sounds right up my alley. Thanks for stopping by my place recently and can I just say how cool your blog is, it’s so bright and alive! Love it…

Herbivore Triathlete — December 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I’ve never had white hot chocolate, but your version looks delightful!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — December 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

peppermint, yes, give it to me, please! Although I am having peppermint tea at this moment, a cup of this deliciousness would be so good at night, and with the cooler weather coming it is a must. :)
    I posted the answer to your question a while back about Seattle. If you want, head over to read. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:18 am

Peppermint tea – I used to drink it when I was pregnant! Ahhh, memories!

• Marina@Picnic at Marina replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:22 am

I hated peppermint anything when I was pregnant! and not only peppermint… :)

Laura Dembowski — December 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I used to love coffee shop peppermint drinks this time of year but don’t drink them anymore. This looks and sounds so good and is probably a lot healthier than thecoffee shop ones. Marshmallows definitely make everything better!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:16 am

Healthier and cheaper! I can guzzle those drinks and can drink my way through five bucks in about 2 mins!

Amber K — December 6, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Yes!!!!!!!! I can totally get on board with this. White chocolate is awesome and as long as I find gluten-free marshmallows I can totally make this. I love the holiday season and all of the flavors it brings.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:15 am

I know the Dandy brand and Sara-and-Sweet are vegan and GF. A little $$ and tricky to find but I think even Kraft is ‘gluten-free’ although not certified. There’s nothing in marshmallow-making that should ever contain gluten it’s just…eggs and sugar but with cross-contamination, there could always be gluten introduced.

• Amber K replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 9:42 am

I’ll have to look this year. I remember last year it seemed like every bag I grabbed was “processed on the same equipment as wheat.” But I did eventually find some and I do think it was Kraft!

Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking — December 6, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Hot chocolate, peppermint and marshmallows – please come and live with me! My favorite foods around the holiday. Gorgeous photos Averie.

p.s. Would love if you bring your hot chocolate to my December chocolate party http://www.roxanashomebaking.com/peppermint-chocolate-cake-recipe-chocolateparty/

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:11 am

And thanks for all your sweet pins and re-pins of my stuff! I’d love to live with you – all that BREAD that you bake is just beyond amazing looking!

Will definitely link up :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 6, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Ohhhh yum! Your drink looks amazing! You take such great drink photos!! Loving the mint this time of year!h

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:10 am

The pictures were hard because it was so BRIGHT taking pics of the white and the white marshmallows were prone sinking so thank you :)

Vita @ Juicer Depot — December 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Great pictures Averie. White hot chocolate is the best. Especially with peppermint added to it.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:10 am

The pictures were hard because it was so BRIGHT taking pics of the white and the white marshmallows and they were prone sinking but glad you like them – thank you :)

Jan — December 6, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Never had white choc. I bet it would be good with peppermint marshmallows or even gingerbread marshmallows! Huh something different to try.

the 3volution of j3nn — December 6, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I was just thinking about white hot chocolate the other day because I’ve never had it but it sounds SO good!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:09 am

I don’t know if it’s ‘allowed’ on your current protocol, but if you can have white chocolate, it makes for such a creamy, milky, and great cup of hot chocolate. I’m still thinking about your white choc cookies (with oats in them that you didnt remember – ha! and I do that all the time!), and I’d love a chewy cookie right now!

Kankana — December 6, 2012 at 9:12 pm

My husband is such a huge fan of white chocolate and he would love this drink!

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — December 6, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I think my hubby would love me forever and beyond if I made him this…

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 7, 2012 at 7:04 am

Yes, please! I’ll take two. :)

Valerie — December 7, 2012 at 7:38 am

It’s not hot chocolate unless it’s made with 2% milk (at least). And definitely, a splash of half & half! This must be what a winter wonderland would taste like in liquid form. :D

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 7:38 am

And girl I JUST got my internet back – it’s been up and down for 2 days, super sporadic. Sorry for shorthand replies the other day!

Faith — December 7, 2012 at 10:50 am

Sigh. I think this is like reason #1,351,999 why I LOVE you. On my way to the kitchen to make this now. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 7th, 2012 at 10:51 am

In five minutes you better be slurping then :) Thanks for the pin, too!

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — December 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Mmm, I love white chocolate and peppermint! I wish I were drinking one of these right now!

Jen @JuanitasCocina — December 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Mmmmmm, this must be like drinky a minty white chocolate cloud. I approve!!!!

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — December 8, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE white hot chocolate! I can’t wait to try it with your peppermint twist! What a great addition to the chocolate party this month! And your photography is just gorgeous! : )

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 8th, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thanks for the sweet comment, Anne! The great thing about this recipe, is that it’s ready in less than 5 mins!

Joy @ Baking-Joy — December 9, 2012 at 9:52 am

This looks and sounds delicious :-) I love regular hot chocolate, but have never tried white chocolate before, so am going to give this a go!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — December 9, 2012 at 11:27 am

White chocolate hot chocolate is a favorite of mine! With an added shot of some kind of liqueur, of course. :) And the addition of peppermint extract sounds amazing!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 11, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’m not a huge hot chocolate fan … I prefer tea or coffee.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — December 11, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I just want to curl up on the couch with a good book, a roaring fire place, and a mug of this hot chocolatey goodness. Too bad I don’t have a fire place and it never gets that cold in LA.

Oh well, a mug of this on my sunny patio will work too :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — December 11th, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Well it gets plenty cold in San Diego. You know, the in 50′s F :)

kelly @ kellybakes — December 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I’m already curled up under a blanket catching up on my blog commenting, but this post makes me wish I had a cup of peppermint white hot chocolate overflowing with marshmallows!