Friday Things

Time for some Friday Things:

1. Thanks to Shape Magazine featuring for featuring my Thin Mints in their 40 Easy Recipes Under 400 Calories story

shape

They’re popular little things.

They also appeared in the print issue of Bust Magazine before the holidays.

2. GIR SpatulasCreated for both cooking and baking, the GIR Spatula is designed to mix, stir, fold and sauté foods at any temperature. Made from heavy-duty molded silicone, it is heat-resistant up to 464°F. Its sturdy, non-slip handle does not get hot to the touch, melt, or burn when used for high-heat cooking. Nearly indestructible, its unibody construction makes it easy to clean and super sanitary; there are no nooks or crevices for food to get caught in, and it is dishwasher-safe. Most importantly, the Spatula’s strong but flexible blade provides the optimum balance between flexibility and firmness, allowing users to move dry mixes and wet batters, scrape bowls, and manipulate solids and liquids in pans, bowls, pots and plates. Available in eleven bright and vibrant colors.”

spatula

I have a few of them, including the Magenta and Purple ones, and they’re a bit smaller than many spatulas I’m used to, making them a good choice for smooshing batter into tight corners of pans, working with boiling hot Seven Minute Microwave Caramels or getting out that last little bit of Homemade Cookie Butter Peanut Butter from the food processor canister. Wouldn’t want to waste a drop of that stuff.

spatula spatula

3. The Huffington Post featured three of my recipe in their story Agave Recipes for Healthy Baking. The very first blog post I ever wrote was for raw vegan brownies made with dates, nuts, cocoa powder, and agave. And boy, that post is good for a nostalgic laugh. For times when I need a liquid sweetener and don’t want to use corn syrup or honey, agave is a handy tool in the toolbox.

huffpo

The agave recipes used include Cinnamon Oatmeal Date Bars with Chocolate Chunks (no-bake, vegan, gluten-free)

Sunflower Seed Butter Granola Bars with Chocolate Drizzle (no-bake, vegan, GF)

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

4. DeLonghi Kmix 10-Cup Drip Coffee Maker, Yellow $149.95 – Comes in eight colors and one is cuter than the next. If the jolt of caffeine in the morning didn’t wake me up, the vibrant canary yellow would.

coffeemaker

DeLonghi Kmix 10-Cup Drip Coffee Maker, Magenta $149.95 – Adorable and it would match my magenta spatula.

coffeemaker

5. Timber Trail Toothbrush Holder, $22 at Anthro. A big step up from the boring plastic or ceramic ones I’ve always had.

toothbrush

6. 40 Recipes for Stale Bread

bread

I make my fair share of bread and if I think we’re not going to eat it fresh, I pop it into the freezer. But I’m a raisin lover and if I have a loaf of Raisin Bread for Raisin Lovers in the house, there’s no chance of it going stale.

7. Two similar-looking knives with very different prices. And yes, those are prices for one knife:

Bob Kramer 7″ Stainless Damascus Santoku Knife by Zwilling J.A. Henckels – $399.95 at Sur La Table – “The blade begins with a core of SG2, a super-premium steel with a fine grain structure that takes and maintains an incredibly sharp edge. The core is clad on each side with 50 alternating layers of nickel and Damascus stainless steel, resulting in an exceptionally strong, 101-layer blade. Features beautiful, deep-etched chevron pattern designed by Bob.”

knife

Bob Kramer Limited-Edition 8″ Chef’s Knife by Zwilling J.A. Henckels – $1799.95 at Sur La Table, which is actually a value. Normally they run $6000+ and up, with a 2 to 3 year+ waiting list that you can only get on by auction. More on the Bob Kramer site. – “Created from a single piece of steel. Fire-welded 160-layer carbon-steel blocks are forged and hammered by hand to form a beautiful Damascus pattern. Each knife is unique, and this limited series of 250 pieces is presented in a leather sheath. This truly is the ultimate cutlery gift.” What I wouldn’t give.

knife

8. Shesham Tools, $5.95 to $12.95 at CB2. Slightly different price points than the knives above. “Sculptural tools serve an eco-friendly assist, showcasing the beautiful living grain of plantation-grown sustainable solid shesham wood. Handcarved server, spatula and spoon flow from smooth curved handle to broad head in one continuous sweep. Varying light-to-dark tones and active grain make each unique.”

9. I want to rock this Free People top $98. It looks so flowy, funky, and comfy. Tight shirts are so overrated. I prefer to be comfortable.

10. I’m in the mood for chocolate. These are ready from start to finish in 15 minutes and I think they have my name on them this weekend.

Nutella Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Glaze

What are your Friday Things?

If you’ve made anything, done, seen, or bought anything fabulous recently, feel free to link it up in the comments.

Any favorite knives, kitchen tools, gadgets that you either can’t live without or are dying to get your hands on? Any chocolate cravings? Cute clothes you want?

Have a great weekend and check back for a giveaway!

67 Responses to “Friday Things”

Ellen — January 11, 2013 at 1:24 am

Congrats! Your recipes are getting featured all over the place these days:)
    My Friday thing is giving Thai food (which I usually hate)a chance and making these noodles-here’s to second chances!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 11, 2013 at 3:02 am

Love the feature in Shape, Averie! The Thin Mints are so popular and rightfully so – year round girl scout cookies that are a piece of cake to make at home. A box of thin mints NEVER lasts long with Kevin and I! And the HuffPo feature. Yeah girl. You’re killin it! I’ve only baked with agave a few times. I’m pretty sure that pink coffee maker belongs in my kitchen. And if you ask Skylar, I’m pretty sure she’d pick the pink one out for your kitchen too! :) I love free people SO much but can hardly afford it. It’s sad that I get a lot of my flawy sweaters, etc from Target. ha! Oh and I just did 20 minutes of morning yoga and totally disconnected like you suggested, Averie. It felt amazing. TGIF!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:42 am

My wardrobe is from Target or it’s el cheapo stuff from the mall…but honestly, I almost never buy clothes anymore b/c I am in the kitchen getting messy! I wear what I have and spend my disposable income on…kitchen stuff & dishes (or photography stuff!) :)

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 11, 2013 at 4:48 am

I love those types of spatulas. Fun. I can’t think of any Friday things – oh, maybe my new Spibelt for running. I can now carry my phone, mace, blinking lights AND water (hand held).

Leanne @ healthful pursuit — January 11, 2013 at 6:18 am

That top would look so cute on you! Although I can’t remember I time where I’ve ever spent over $40 on… Love it though! Also great about the feature, that’s just awesome :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:39 am

Pre-child, I used to spend $40 on a round of drinks. Now that’s grocery money for the week! Or you know putting a dent in it. Life sure changes :)

Carly @ Snack Therapy — January 11, 2013 at 6:18 am

How cool that your recipes were features in those mags! My only Friday thing is that I’m thrilled that my first week of the new quarter is over. I didn’t think I’d make it.

Christine (The Raw Project) — January 11, 2013 at 6:27 am

Great list of things and congrats on the recipe features – wow! Love the tot, but yikes on the price! One of my Friday things is I’m thrilled it’s Friday and looking forward to a fun weekend! :-) Happy Friday!

bev @ bevcooks — January 11, 2013 at 6:32 am

You’re all over the place, lady! Congrats!!

Ali | Gimme Some Oven — January 11, 2013 at 6:46 am

Congrats on the Shape feature! I have long been wanting to try your thin mints recipe — they look amazing! :)

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations — January 11, 2013 at 6:50 am

Those wooden serving utensils remind me of the hand carved items the hill tribe people sell at the markets here in Thailand. Light weight and beautiful, simple elegance.

Joanne — January 11, 2013 at 6:54 am

Congrats on all of your fabulous features, love! You’re such a rockstar I can barely take it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:38 am

Too bad I’m not making rock star money…I want to buy one of the knives in this post :)

Herbivore Triathlete — January 11, 2013 at 6:56 am

Ooh, I love the Shesham tools, I’m a sucker for wood utensils and bowls!

(The link to your raw vegan brownies actually points to the biscoff marshmallow bars from December.)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:37 am

oooh nice catch and I just fixed it – thanks! And thanks for the linkup on your site, too!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — January 11, 2013 at 7:03 am

You’re right. Tight tops are WAY overrated. Although I probably say that because I’ve eaten too many cookies, ha! I know this is “so last year” but I’m in love with my new Keurig. I got it for Christmas and haven’t had to touch coffee grounds since. Priceless!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:35 am

I have a similar Keurig-type maker that I received that I need to start putting to use – great reminder :)

Carly — January 11, 2013 at 7:42 am

Congrats on all the features! Averie, I think one of the things I love so much about your recipes are how descriptive you are. You describe the steps exactly the way I think- it’s like you catch the mistakes before they happen.

Also- I am SO excited that you posted about these spatulas. I’ve been looking for a solid silocone spatula forever! Much more sanitary as you mentioned. Question – are they flexible, ie. provide a good about “give”? I have a couple spatulas that are almost rock hard and don’t really do the job well. If so, I’m going to order a couple now! The fun colors are a bonus :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:34 am

They do have some give but not overly so. They’re a nice balance of firm but giving. Either end of the spectrum is hard to deal with, I agree!

And thanks for saying you like the way I am descriptive. It’s my #1 pet peeve when I read recipes (usually from bloggers) who either dont actually tell me how the food tastes! (more storytime devoted to their cat) Or they gloss over steps as if everyone would know. Well, even the most experienced cooks like to know pointers, i.e. when you add the vanilla, it’s going to bubble very aggressively. Yes, I like that info! Glad you do too :)

ashley - baker by nature — January 11, 2013 at 7:49 am

I’m so happy to see your gorgeous work all over the place; you deserve it! And omg, that toothbrush holder is happening – so cute!

Alysha @ Shesontherun — January 11, 2013 at 8:09 am

That pink coffee maker is awesome! We use an OLD OLD coffee maker that has definitely seen better days!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — January 11, 2013 at 8:21 am

Congrats on the Shape feature! :) Love those coffee makers, the colors are so fab!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — January 11, 2013 at 8:21 am

Loving these Friday things… Congrats on all of those mentions: I love Bust magazine and I saw that agave roundup on HuffPo – it should have been renamed ‘Averie Works Some Agave Amazingness’. And those wooden utensils and Free People top?!?! My wallet, my poor, poor, aching wallet…

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:32 am

That’s so awesome that you’re a Bust reader. Why am I not surprised! And I looooooove Free People. so much.

a farmer in the dell — January 11, 2013 at 8:31 am

Congrats on Shape!!! That’s awesome! Our favorite thing to do on Fridays is eat pizza for dinner. This is my favorite. We call it beetza. It’s the best! http://afarmerinthedell.com/2012/12/06/beetza/

Erica — January 11, 2013 at 8:48 am

congrats on all the features! How fabulous is that?! That little coffee maker is so cute and stylish. I want one

mary @ what's cookin with mary — January 11, 2013 at 8:57 am

Congrats Averie! :0)

Paula — January 11, 2013 at 9:23 am

Congratulations on the recipe features! Thin mints are so good and have always been one of my favorite GS cookie flavors… I definitely need to try your version. I am a sucker for a good looking and well made knife–love those Damascus beauties above! My husband is leaving this weekend for a “guy’s trip” so I made today a mini spa day for myself and booked a massage to go with my haircut and color. I’m looking forward to the pampering!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:31 am

I got my hair done this week but that’s not a spa day; that’s an obligation :) Enjoy your massage…oh that sounds so nice!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — January 11, 2013 at 9:34 am

Yay, you!! Congrats on the features, well deserved. And I can’t stop thinking about those knives since I saw Top Chef last week, so gorgeous.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:37 am

Girl I know. Just what we need. After our 2k lenses. I need to win the lottery!

Joy @ Baking-Joy — January 11, 2013 at 10:00 am

I agree that agave syrup is fantastic as a natural sweetener. We have a natural sweetener syrup called ‘sweet freedom’ (I’m not sure if it’s available in the US?) that’s made from carob and apple. It’s great as it has a lower GI than agave. I’m going to try and use it in a healthy oatmeal bar this weekend :-)

Amber (Sprinkled With Flour) — January 11, 2013 at 10:52 am

Yay! Congrats on the feature, that is so exciting! I can certainly see why they were featured…can I say amaaaaazing? My husband loves his thin mints, so I would definitely gain brownie points if I made those for him. Can’t wait!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Well if you try them, you have to LMK. Still thinking about your potato cinn rolls…. :)

Katie — January 11, 2013 at 11:07 am

Yeah I’ve made one or two things! Here is the “today I made” link for my 2013 makes something everyday challenge. I’m even ahead of the game already! https://cookiesandcrafts.wordpress.com/i-made-this/

Do those spatulas work with the vitamix? I make puddings and dips in there and either have to lose some of the stuff below the blades or they chew up the spatula I use. Since I hate wasting food, I have gone through a lot of spatulas!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 11:38 am

Oh they ‘work’ with the Vita or my food proc…but unfortunately they’re no more resilient to being torn up and eaten than others. If a company could make a Vita or food processor-safe spatula that’s resilient to being eaten and shredded,that would be a gold mine. I actually have two sets of spatulas. Those I use to clean out those appliances, and those I use for mixing bowls, etc. And then they all end up eventually being eaten and shredded…b/c I reach for the wrong one and stick a ‘good’ one into the Vita and it’s history :(

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 11, 2013 at 11:27 am

Congrats on the features! You are a rock star!

Sue/the view from great island — January 11, 2013 at 11:33 am

Congratulations on all the press, and I agree that Free People top is cute!

peachy — January 11, 2013 at 1:13 pm

My first time here.. I love your friday things!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 11, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Wow, you’re famous girl! Congratulations on all the publicity for your think mints! Did you submit the recipe to them or did they find you and contact you?

Maureen — January 11, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Thin Mints….yum!! If you don’t mind me asking, how did you get featured? Did they find your recipe or did you submit it to them?

Thanks!

Little Kitchie — January 11, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Oh wow, I’m in love with those adorable coffeemakers!!! I need the yellow one in my kitchen ASAP!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 11, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Congrats for being in Shape Magazine! That is so awesome!! I am so loving the colors of the coffee makers!! Have a great weekend!!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — January 11, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Ok, I have to try those thin mints and those cinnamon buns, OMG! When I want sweets I come to your site girl! Congrats on all the publicity and press girl. You work your butt off so you deserve it :)
    I love that top from Free People, it’s so me and you! Free spirited gals we are.
    Oh, and my favorite kitchen tools are my new Le Creuset dutch oven in green, my vitamix, my Global knife and my mini prep!
    Have a great Friday girl! TGIF! xoxo, Jackie

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Your fave things sound awesome – I would love a mini prep…would be so handy I think!

Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian — January 11, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Very awesome links here! Those smart cookies look so delicious and I’m always on the lookout for a great kitchen knife. Anything that makes chopping and slicing easier is worth the price in my book.

Ashley@cupcakesncrunches — January 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm

OMG – those thin mints look divine! I am adding those to my ‘to-make’ list.

So cool that you got published in Shape magazine. Very exciting!

Amber K — January 11, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Reader fail! I saw the Shape feature and didn’t even connect the dots. Congratulations for all of the blog mentions!!

Cindy Brickley — January 12, 2013 at 3:06 am

Congrats Averie, I love your mints. Reminds me of the mint girl scout cookies, I used to eat a box all by myself. And that toothbrush holder (#5), well that is going to be on my hubby’s DIY list, he can whip one up in five minutes. Maybe I can Modge Podge one of my Elk pictures on the front of it (we live in Elk country and they are always in the yard). Maybe we can start to sell these, they want 22.00 for them, WOW! Thanks for sharing your Friday Things with us.

Laura Dembowski — January 12, 2013 at 5:44 am

Congrats on being featured so many places. How do you do it? Do they find you or do you approach them? Bob Kramer was just on Top Chef and I was saying how cool it would be to have one of his knives. For now Whustov will do.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 12th, 2013 at 11:09 am

They find me. And yes, I saw that episode with Bob – pretty amazing!

Janet — January 12, 2013 at 11:17 am

Agave is one of these sweeteners either someone loves it and recommends baking with it or they hate it and say it is bad for you because it is fructose and I also have read if you mix any fat with agave that that is really bad for you. What to do? I just returned three bottles of it because of the bad reviews and not many good ones. Oh well :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 12th, 2013 at 11:26 am

I almost addressed this in the post but figured why open a door that I don’t even want to deal with :) I use it, I like it, I’m fine with it. Some people aren’t. Just do what you feel is best. Everything in moderation and not overthinking is how I tackle things like this. It’s like parenting. Everyone has a story, answer, do this, don’t do that. In the end…just do what you think is best. After all, we’re talking about what, a couple tablespoons of…agave. Hardly arsenic :)

Ashlae | oh, ladycakes — January 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm

It sounds totally snobby, but I don’t ever want think about life without my Vitamix. I just upgraded from the 5200 to the 7500 and I’m so happy I did. It really makes eating a plant-based lifestyle so. much. easier. But I’m also in love with my K-Mix coffee maker. I’ve have the 5 cup for about a year and I swear it makes a better cup of coffee than the Chemex.

And always chocolate cravings. Always. A new favorite is Taza’s pan de jengibre bar – http://www.tazachocolate.com/store/Products/PandeJengibre

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 12th, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Ashlae thank you for saying hi! I read your blog in stealth off my Reader and maybe I’ve commented – or maybe not. But when I saw your last post about 12-mo aged vanilla it made me think of some of mine that’s been aging for about 6. And your pots de cream, yes, I’ll take several!

Good to know that for someone like you who no doubt put your 5200 through the ringer and gave it tons of use, that you really do feel like the 7500 is just that much better. I use and abuse mine :) and always wonder if it’s worth it to upgrade when nothing is wrong with it at all! But of course, upgrades are nice. Thanks for the nice comment!

• Ashlae | oh, ladycakes replied: — January 12th, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Give it 6 more months, lady! I promise it’s worth it :) And the pots de creme – ugh. I was addicted to making it for about a week until I realized how unhealthy it is to eat 2 pots a day. Yowza! No bueno.

As for the upgrade, I sold my 5200 on Craigslist and only lost $100 in the transaction – which was worth it to me for the new machine. Hope you and the family are doing well.. I’ve loved watching Skylar grow into a little lady!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — January 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I would like to at least hold one of the $6,000 knife! :) Congratulations on being published! I am so happy for you! :)

Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen — January 13, 2013 at 8:58 am

Congratulations on all the features! Now you’ve officially added that gorgeous knife to my wish list….I would want to hang it on the wall and hardly ever use it. Almost :) Have a great weekend!

angela @ anotherbiteplease — January 14, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Congrats on the publications…that is awesome Averie!!! Keep the recipe love coming!
    And wasn’t Bob Kramer just on Top Chef. I frankly would be seriously scared cutting with that kind of knife. I can not even imagine how SHARP it is…I have a “nice” knife in my world…and it scares me sometimes. LOL oh I think you could totally rock that top…well any top girl.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 15th, 2013 at 2:19 am

Yes he WAS just on there! I am not scared of sharp; I am scared of 6g’s for …. a knife :)