Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip

The best part of a baked potato isn’t really the potato. It’s the sour cream and cheese that tops it.

This is a bowl of everything fabulous that goes on top of baked potatoes, minus the baked potatoes.

The dip assembly literally takes five minutes, but if you’re making it for a party and have lots to do on the day-of, you can assemble it, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours before baking it off.

You could also make the recipe as written and serve it as a casserole by the slice, but it’s pretty rich and filling. Plus, I am a huge dip fanatic and dipping crackers or bread into that bowl of creamy wonderland is more fun and satisfying than a slice of casserole.

To make the dip, I used tater tots instead of potatoes. I have fond memories of the stubby little tots from elementary school lunches. I ate them slathered in ketchup and decades have gone by and I’ve had very few tater tots since sixth grade. I decided to make up for lost time. Compared to baked potatoes, tater tots have that browned exterior and more texture, perfect for being incorporated into the dip and gives it some dimension.

Allow three cups of frozen tater tots to come to room temperature. I measure about fifteen tater tots to one cup, so you’ll need about 45, give or take. Slice them in half, or place them all on a large cutting board and give the pile a rough chop. Smaller pieces are preferred to large hunks but just don’t go too small and mince them. I imagine that about two heaping cups pre-cooked hash browns could also be used.

Place the chopped tots in a large mixing bowl, and add crumbled pre-cooked sausage or meatballs. I used meatless gluten-free sausage, but precooked shredded chicken, (meatless) chicken nuggets, tofu, tempeh, bacon, or bacon bits will work.

Add the sour cream and if you don’t want to ruin your January resolutions, light, vegan sour cream, or soy-based are fine. Greek yogurt may also work, but I don’t top my baked potatoes with yogurt. I top them with sour cream, which is what I used.

Stir in one cup of shredded cheese. A mixture of colby, jack, mozzerella, Moterrey Jack, vegan cheese, soy-cheese, or whatever your grocery store has on sale that week in a two-cup packet will be just fine. One cup gets stirred in now, and the other cup will be sprinkled over the top before baking.

Season the mixture with your favorite seasoning blend such as Lowry’s, Trader Joe’s 21 Salute or a Mrs. Dash and stir. Optionally, stir in a bit of diced green onion or scallions, a pinch of garlic or onion powder; add a handful of corn or black beans, a dollop of salsa, or other things you enjoy on baked potatoes. There’s no wrong way to load up this dip. If you really load it up, you may need to extend the baking time a bit.

Transfer the mixture into a sprayed nine-inch pie dish, oven-safe baking dish, or an eight or nine-inch square pan will work. Top with the remaining one cup of shredded cheese and bake your loaded dip until golden brown and bubbly, about thirty minutes.

Serve this comfort food extraordinaire with crackers, pita chips or pita bread, tortilla chips, dip tater tots into the tater tot dip, or just eat it with a spoon. Puncturing the thick wall of browned cheese with a sharp cracker corner reveals a soft, creamy, rich potato-filled interior. It was so satisfying to finally bust through the cheese wall.

It’s creamy, it’s cheesy, it’s happy food. White carbs, cream, and cheese tend to have that effect and Scott was oohing and ahhing about it. He’s s a huge potato fan of any kind, from tater tots to hash browns, and he loved the warm, soft tater tots.

He still didn’t realize that the bits of sausage that add extra flavor and protein is actually meatless sausage, but that’s okay. Most anything covered in vast amounts of sour cream and melted cheese are tricky to discern and he loved every vegan bite. What we didn’t eat immediately, I covered and refrigerated. The next day I placed some dip on a bed of tortialla chips and reheated it in the microwave for a taco casserole-like version.

The last time I got this many oohs and ahhs I had to make a Snackadium. This is even easier than that and only takes five minutes to assemble. Perfect for parties, especially football parties, or as an easy appetizer to set out for gatherings.

Or if you’re a dipaholic like me, you can just call it dinner.

Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 35 minutes

Yield: one 9-inch pie dish

My favorite baked potato toppings are loaded into an easy, creamy, and cheesy dip. It's made with tater tots, sour cream, meatless meatballs, and cheese and assembly takes just 5 minutes. It's a gooey, hearty, rich dip with extremely minimal work and effort for a maximum amount of flavorful comfort food. Perfect for parties or any gathering where a fast and easy appetizer is needed.

Ingredients:

3 cups tater tots (about 45 whole tater tots), thawed and halved or roughly chopped

1 cup (meatless) meatballs, crumbled (try precooked shredded chicken, (meatless) chicken nuggets, tofu, tempeh, bacon, or bacon bits)

16-ounces sour cream (regular, light, vegan, or soy okay)

2 cups shredded cheese blend, divided (blend of colby, jack, mozzarella, Monterrey Jack, vegan, or soy-cheese)

2 teaspoons all-purpose seasoning blend, or to taste (Lowry’s, Trader Joe’s 21 Salute, Mrs. Dash, a pinch of garlic or onion powder)

salt and pepper, optional and to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F and spray a 9-inch pie dish or similar oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Slice thawed tater tots in half or place a large pile on cutting board and roughly chop them; retain some size and texture and don't chop them too small. Transfer tater tots to a large mixing bowl. Add the meat or protein option, sour cream, add 1 cup cheese, seasoning blend, salt, pepper, and stir to combine.

Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is bubbly and golden browned. Serve immediately with crackers, bread, pita chips or pita bread, tortilla chips, dip tater tots into it, or just eat it with a spoon. Store leftover dip in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. I recommend eating leftovers taco casserole-style by setting a piece on top of a mound of crackers or chips and microwaving for about 1 minute. Dip can also be made fresh and served like a casserole, but I prefer it as a dip.

Recipe is naturally gluten-free and can be kept vegan by using vegan meat, sour cream, and cheese.

Related Recipes:

Chips and Cheese Chili Casserole (vegetarian/vegan, GF) – Chips are baked right into this easy and cheesy filling casserole. A hit with kids, busy moms, and football fans alike

Caribbean Citrus Roasted Sweet Potatoes (vegan, gluten-free) Sweet potatoes are jazzed up with fun and fresh citrus seasoning blend

Double Melted Cheese and Red Pepper Dip (GF) – Comes together in five minutes in the microwave and it’s extremely addictive. Creamy, cheesy, with just a bit of heat and texture. Some people call it Queso Dip or Ro-Tel Dip

Macaroni and Cheese Baked Cheese Balls - A perfect use for the leftover macaroni that gets cold and stiff in your refrigerator. Bread it, bake it, devour it

Cheesy Taco Casserole (gluten-free, vegetarian/vegan) – Like tacos, but baked into casserole form, complete with rice and beans. Makes planned leftovers that can be frozen for those nights you don’t have time or energy to make something from scratch. This one is a hit with the family

Sweet Potato Graham Cracker “French Toast” Sticks – Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. They won’t win a beauty contest but they are delicious and the coating is crushed graham crackers, brown sugar, and cinnamon and the potatoes taste like French toast sticks

Corn and Double Cheese Dip (vegan, GF, fat free, serve warm or cold) – A five-minute dip to toss together and full of texture from the corn and peppers. It can also be baked like today’s dip if you have a little extra time to spare

Do you like tater tots? Dip lover?

Feel free to leave links for your favorite recipes. Potatoes and me are whatever, but I love dips and could make a meal out of them. I’m always on the hunt for new, easy, scrumptious dip recipes and this one is perfect for Superbowl parties.

One of my favorites is Spinach & Artichoke Dip (Fat Free, Vegan) that I lighted up because I really can go to town on dip, especially Spinach and Artichoke Dip.

92 Responses to “Loaded Baked Tater Tot Dip”

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance — January 10, 2013 at 2:26 am

I need to start thinking about this sort of thing, since we’re getting together with some friends for the Superbowl this year. Plus, the appetizer prep is probably my favorite part, besides the commercials. he he. I’m definitely clicking over the spinach and artichoke dip . . . that would be a favorite of mine! :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 9:18 am

It’s a fave and it literally takes less than 5 mins to make & you can eat it cold or heat it!

Christine — January 10, 2013 at 4:15 am

This looks so good! I love potatoes and this is the perfect comfort food dish.

I have your peanut butter cups on my list to make also (as well as others). I am so glad I found your site.

Aimee @ ShugarySweets — January 10, 2013 at 4:34 am

That is what I call the perfect dinner. Right?? Oh my I think I could eat the whole dish!

~amy~ — January 10, 2013 at 4:42 am

Looks delish!

Christine — January 10, 2013 at 4:42 am

Superbowl potluck, here I come!

Herbivore Triathlete — January 10, 2013 at 4:59 am

I am a huge tater tot fan, love them! This looks like the perfect football food. Great recipe Averie.

Jennifer @ Not Your Momma's Cookie — January 10, 2013 at 5:11 am

Holy cow, this looks delish! Like, trying to reach through the screen to grab some delish :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 9:19 am

Thanks Jennifer! I love all your sweets recipes and most of my stuff is too – but every now and then I love a good dip!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — January 10, 2013 at 5:47 am

Oh my goodness, Averie! This looks like the perfect potato-lovers dip. YUM!

Erin|The Law Students Wife — January 10, 2013 at 5:52 am

This totally reminds me of classic MN tater tot hot dish, all dressed up and ready for a Super Bowl party. Hello salty-cheesey-goodness!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 9:17 am

Classic MN hot dish all the way. And yes, hot dish, not casserole :)

bev @ bevcooks — January 10, 2013 at 6:55 am

My eyeballs are so happy right now.

Paula — January 10, 2013 at 7:01 am

This is definitely comfort food in a dip and makes me think of football and the Superbowl. I really think my family would also like it as a casserole with chicken. The browned crust of cheese on top is exactly what makes my husband swoon. I love most all dips–I rarely eat raw veggies without it! Spinach and artichoke is a classic favorite but I also love any variation of a raw vegan nut based dip with nooch, red bell pepper, and a little heat!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — January 10, 2013 at 7:41 am

I love dips. And of course I like tater tots. Who doesn’t ;-) I used to buy them all the time and we’d just bake them to have with veggie burgers. Super simple. Not the most healthy side, but so good LOL

Little Kitchie — January 10, 2013 at 7:52 am

I think my husband would faint over this! Pinning this to make for the Superbowl!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — January 10, 2013 at 8:27 am

I would never be able to have this because of the dairy but that does not mean I can not drool over it! Haha.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 9:09 am

Not sure if you noticed it was vegan! Easy to use dairy-free sour cream and cheese on this so enjoy!

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations — January 10, 2013 at 8:58 am

Mmmm..looks yummy. I love baked potatoes and this looks right up my alley.

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — January 10, 2013 at 9:17 am

Oh wow does this look like some warm, creamy, deliciousness! I really love the idea of using meatless meatballs and baking everything together in a single dish. So satisfying!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 10:16 am

One bowl to make it in and 1 bowl to bake it in. The best kinds of recipes :)

Nikki @ Chef in Training — January 10, 2013 at 10:09 am

I am drooling all over my keyboard. Tater Tot Dip?! Could this be real life?! I am blown away! So creative and it is absolutely mouthwatering! What a perfect app for game day!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 10:15 am

It’s so easy, too, Nikki! You are the queen of great dips & glad you like this one. Your soup..that creaminess is just delish looking today!

Ari @ Ari's Menu — January 10, 2013 at 11:00 am

Oh my goodness, all that cheese is totally calling my name!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — January 10, 2013 at 11:43 am

This dip looks like such a crowd-pleaser!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — January 10, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I am swooning over this amazing dish. I love hot dips and you’ve loaded this one with two of my all time favourite foods – tater tots and gooey, melted, golden cheese! This would be perfect for a get-together (or dinner for one, but maybe that’s just me).

Marina@Picnic at Marina — January 10, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I am sure such dip would be any party favorite! I am not a big fan of the processed food, so no, I don’t like tater tots. :)

Alysha @ Shesontherun — January 10, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I would totally just eat this dip for dinner :) I love tater tots something fierce!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — January 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Looks freaking fantastic!! Awesome for game day or any day of the week to be honest :)

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — January 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Oh my goodness, what a fabulous idea Averie!! So unique, and a total hit in any house :)

A farmer in the dell — January 10, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Will you come make this for me??? I totally agree that the best part of a baked potato is the toppings!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I want some of your beautiful veggies – you make me want to dive into the screen!

Deirdre — January 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Oh yum- winter comfort food at its best. I love reworkings of familiar recipes/dishes. Thanks for getting inspiring and sharing.

cathy @ Noble Pig — January 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm

OMG….this is Super Bowl heaven food!

Cassie — January 10, 2013 at 5:08 pm

i am in big trouble with this one. I love it!

Valerie — January 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Oh, tater tots, it’s been too long since we last met.
    Thanks for giving me a valid excuse for picking up a bag! I’m all about the white carb love this time of year. :D

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — January 10, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I want to bury my face in that dip. I wouldn’t even care who was watching me. :)

Hannah — January 10, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Crazy creative! Seriously, I’ve never seen tots prepared like this, and they sound so much better than the alternative (plain)! Okay, I’ve gotta try this, and soon.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — January 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Ah! Would you cry if I told you that my ultra favorite way to enjoy a baked potato is completely NAKED?

I mean the potato, not me! Heh. Just plain, all lonesome on a plate, maybe with a bit of salt. Hubba, hubba!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 10th, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Honestly I do go thru phases where I want plain everything…potatoes, steamed broccoli, plain green beans, no butter, salt, nothing. Just totally as-is. Then there are other times I can use 1/4 cup of butter to 1/2 cup broccoli :)

Jocelyn (Grandbaby Cakes) — January 10, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Yum yum yum! This looks like the perfect compliment to tater tots.

Anna (Hidden Ponies) — January 10, 2013 at 8:14 pm

This is brilliant!! I could eat a bucket of this with crackers or just a spoon :)

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — January 10, 2013 at 9:47 pm

You did it again! All of your food looks amazing. I could definitely be a vegetarian again if you were my personal chef.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 1:12 am

I didn’t know you were veg! If only we lived just a tad closer we could cook together…and our lil ones could play. Oh the fun we could have!

the 3volution of j3nn — January 10, 2013 at 10:12 pm

I’ll just dive into this with a spoon and drown in the deliciousness–happily. I’m all about potatoes and cheese lately. I couldn’t be trusted to one serving of this. I’d eat the whole thing!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 1:11 am

I wish I could have shared..we didn’t need all this, but Scott happily finished the leftovers and asked for more :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — January 11, 2013 at 3:05 am

omg is this for real? Averie how you managed to put all of kevin’s favorites foods into dip form is beyond me. pretty sure he’d request this with bacon all over it. There’s a bar around here that serves maryland crab dip tater tots. Greasy tator tots with creamy MD crab dip ALL over it. The best greasy hangover food. I can’t believe how EASY this dip is too – actually, all of your dips seem to be SO easy. Which is a good thing since I can shovel back dips like it’s nobody’s business. or is that a bad thing? i’m not sure, but now all i want for breakfast is tater tots.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:41 am

Maryland crab dip tater tots – Omg that sounds soooo good.

and yes all my dips are easy! If there is one thing that should be throw-together, it’s a dip or a smoothie!

Jen @ Savory Simple — January 11, 2013 at 4:50 am

um, yes please.

La Torontoise — January 11, 2013 at 5:35 am

Happy New year to all!
    Averie, please keep the good work! Reading your blog, and experimenting with the ideas made a difference to my life:-)
    I just returned from France, used fresh ingredients and did a few recepies, and they were great hits!
    All the best!

La Torontoise — January 11, 2013 at 5:36 am

Happy New yearl!
    All the best!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 9:40 am

So glad that you tried things and enjoyed them…thanks for trying them and telling me about it!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookies — January 11, 2013 at 8:11 am

Where has this dip been all my life?! Looks amazing!!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — January 11, 2013 at 11:27 am

We all need sour cream and cheese on top of everything!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I like tater tots A LOT, and I am definitely a dip lover!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 11th, 2013 at 4:26 pm

You’re a tater tot lover? Then you HAVE to make this one! Takes all of 5 mins to toss together!

Elizabeth@ Food Ramblings — January 14, 2013 at 6:07 am

yum! love tater tots– and in a dip too :) yum!

angela @ anotherbiteplease — January 14, 2013 at 7:28 am

I wish I had a bowl of this dip right now…heat it up for lunch an oh my goodness…love the use of tator tots and the meatless option…always an extra bonus when a recipe is so versitile. be perfect for game day!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — January 14th, 2013 at 10:48 am

It’s so versatile and pretty much you can stuff just about anything in there and bake it off and it’ll come out a winner :)

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies — February 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm

My boyfriend is always begging me to make “tater tot casserole” which just sounds terrifying. This sounds like it could be made at least moderately more healthy and serving as a dip prevents having a pile of cheese and potatoes for dinner. Sounds yummy!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 3rd, 2013 at 2:45 pm

“and serving as a dip prevents having a pile of cheese and potatoes for dinner” <– and if you have leftover dip, you can put it on a pile of chips and nuke it and it will become dinner. Just sayin :) But seriously this is a way to not just eat white potatoes and cheese for dinner. Dip implies a bit of moderation compared to ‘casserole’. haha!

Kristy Lounder — March 5, 2013 at 5:21 pm

This looks good! I wonder if it could be made in a crock pot so it could stay warm all day?

Barbara — November 15, 2013 at 8:28 am

I love the look of this recipe. Would like to print directions, but when I hit print all I get is a blank page. Please help.

Barbara — November 15, 2013 at 8:31 am

Like the look of this recipe. Would like to print directions. When I hit print all I get is a blank page. Can you please help?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 15th, 2013 at 9:12 am

I’m sorry that you’re having trouble. Just copy/paste the recipe from the screen into an email to yourself. Takes 2 seconds and you’re all set. Enjoy this dip – one of my faves!

Tamara — December 19, 2013 at 5:36 am

Averie, this looks amazing! I want to make it for a party on Saturday. Can I double it and use a 9×13 baking dish? If so, how long would you recommend in the oven? At the same temp?

Thanks so much!!! xo