Friday Things

Time for some Friday Things:

1. Thanks to the Huffington Post for featuring my Homemade Thin Mints in their Girl Scout Cookies feature

The next day they featured 3 recipes in their Gluten-Free Dessert Recipes: Fruit Cakes, Cookies, and More story – slide 3, slide 4, slide 5

I even have to pinch myself sometimes that the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies don’t have gluten. Nor do they have any butter or white sugar.

2. The Good Bean – All Natural Roasted Chickpea Snacks. Gluten-free, nut-free, cholesterol-free, low fat, low in carbohydrates, nothing over-engineered, nothing artificial.

I am in love with the Sweet-Cinnamon flavor. Think cinnamon toast in the form of super crunchy little nuggets.

Sweet Cinnamon

They’re exceedingly crunchy. If you’ve ever had dried peas or dried green beans, they’re like that; except crunchier. And I love that about them.

3. They give the crunchiest crackers I ever made a run for their money

Fruit Seed and Nut Crackers

And for something a bit less crunchy, try Caramelized Cinnamon Sugar Roasted Chickpea “Peanuts”

They’re beans masquerading as candy and I’m all about real candy. But I dare you not to stand at the oven door and eat half the tray immediately.

4. Travel Mug Reviews – Cook’s Country and Cooks Illustrated shares their reviews of 7 mugs from highly to not recommended.

In general, I find mugs to be so expensive for what they are, and each promises to be the best, yet most of them either leak or the coffee doesn’t stay hot. I use a mug from Starbucks made from recycled plastic that I bought in 2009. I use it daily, run it through the dishwasher, put it in the microwave, beat it up, and I think it will last another five years.

I cannot use travel mugs that have any metal on them because I always, always heat my coffee in the mug in the microwave as I’m walking out the door. I don’t have time or desire to heat the coffee in a separate microwave-safe cup. Plus, I like to get the mug extra toasty, too. I have a thing for piping, and I do mean searing hot, coffee; which limits my selection of mugs.

5. Flower Power: Parmesan-Roasted Cauliflower – Such pretty little stalks

Roasting veggies is so easy and there’s always a new seasoning, spice, oil, or vegetable to roast.

A recent fave was Lemon Rosemary Coconut Oil Roasted Vegetables (vegan, GF)

6. My friend Marla’s post, 10 More Skinny Secrets is a gem. The post has nothing to do with being skinny, and everything to do with being mindful, healthful, and making compassionate and thoughtful choices each and every day. I adore Marla and miss our coffee dates but reading her post was almost as good as a coffee date. Almost.

7. Creamy and Crispy Hash Brown Casserole was featured in the Featured in the eCookbook, 14 Easy Recipes for Potato Casseroles

If you’re looking for easy, potato-based comfort food recipes, Click Here to Download the ebook.

Tis the season for warm comfort food.

8. A reader, Stacy, emailed to tell me that there is a heart-shaped crumb in at the bottom of this photo of Brown Sugar Maple Cookies

I never noticed it until she pointed it out, and couldn’t replicate or duplicate that in a million years, even if I tried. She thought it was perfect for these cookies and I think it’s perfect in advance of Valentine’s Day.

9. Faceted Friendship Bracelet – On sale for $9.95 at Anthro. Quite the step up from the raggedy friendship bracelets I used to make, circa 1988, with yarn that was 50 cents per pack at the local drugstore.

I used to love making friendship bracelets and could go for hours just making rows and rows of knots. Mindlessly therapeutic. It was my yoga back then.

10. New Le Creuset Color: Quince. I’m in enamelware lust. Don’t bother with roses or chocolates for Valentine’s Day, but one or four of these would do.

That color is so me. I love it.

What are your Friday Things?

Favorite travel mug? Friendship bracelet memories? Thoughts on super crunchy foods or favorite finds?

If you’ve made anything, done, seen, or bought anything fabulous recently, feel free to link it up in the comments.

Have a great weekend and check back for giveaways!

44 Responses to “Friday Things”

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance — February 8, 2013 at 2:19 am

The Good Bean Sweet Cinnamon snacks sound like something I’d really like! Garbanzo beans are my favorite! Cinnamon is my favorite! I’m guessing I can’t go wrong with these.

I bought my first Le Creuset piece in December. I’m in LOVE. Not exaggerating. While I’m struggling with the cast iron pan I bought, the Le Creuset was instant adoration. It has made so many wonderful meals, just perfectly, and clean-up is a breeze! Mine is red . . . my favorite color!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 8th, 2013 at 2:51 am

That’s awesome that it’s instant love…and yes, I agree, so much easier than regular cast iron. It’s just so much more user-friendly :)

marla — February 8, 2013 at 3:41 am

Oh Averie, I miss out coffee chats as well. You are so kind to include me in your Friday Favorites. I feel honored & you are a wonderful friend. Love your take on my post too :) Think we will have a reunion in April right?? XO

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 8th, 2013 at 8:26 am

I miss our meetups too, my friend. And yes, April! :)

xoxo

Erica — February 8, 2013 at 3:52 am

Your crackers look amazing! And I want to try those good bean treats- hearing so many good things about them!! Happy Friday

Heather (Where's the Beach) — February 8, 2013 at 5:47 am

Um – need to find those Good Beans. Of course, I could probably make them…

Joanne — February 8, 2013 at 7:05 am

Is it bad that I want to inhale everything in this post? Especially the thin mints. And those roasted chickpea peanut bites of heaven.

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies — February 8, 2013 at 7:21 am

Congrats that the Huffington Post featured a few of your recipes, you must have a fan there ;-)

Diane @ Vintage Zest — February 8, 2013 at 7:21 am

Friday things planned for me are to unpack and get ready for cooking this weekend! I was traveling all this week, and I am pooped. I’m not sure exactly which recipes I’ll be making this weekend, but I came back with a ton of cupcakes from my favorite shop in Nashville, so sweets will be off the table until next week. :) I will definitely have to peruse your collection of healthy entrees to offset the presence of sweets in the house!

And I love, love, love enamelware too. I have yet to purchase my first real set, and I know the time will come when we have to select a color, and I really don’t want to! Can I just have one of each in every color? Is that too much to ask?

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — February 8, 2013 at 8:15 am

Congrats on the Huffington Post feature, Averie! Such a great Friday List. LOVED reading about you and Marla, too! Must visit her blog soon. xo

Jackie @ Domestic fits — February 8, 2013 at 9:32 am

Those chickpeas are blowing my mind right now! I have to try them.

Paula — February 8, 2013 at 9:38 am

I’ve never seen the packaged chickpea snacks, but what’s not to love?!! I think the cinnamon sugar would be my favorite too. My kitchen projects this weekend include crackers–your recipe first (and I’ll report back of course)! I have a surplus of baby carrots so I’m also planning to make some veggie crackers in the dehydrator. I made PB roasted carrots yesterday and the roasted pepper carrot soup today. I ran out of peanut butter (GASP!) so subbed sunflower seed butter in the soup. Oh–and I better get some PB made too!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 8th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

The crackers! Yes, start your loaf ASAP and although you may not want to do what I did, which was to actually let my loaf freeze (whoops) then I had to wait about 4 hours for it to unthaw enough to slice it. But it does need to be SUPER cold to get the thin slices. So it’s sort of a multi-stage recipe spanning…a good 24 hours. They’re worth it in the end!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — February 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

Congrats on the Thin Mints feature Averie! I am not only in love with that recipe but the photos are stunning. What perfect lighting. I made roasted chick peas for our little getaway the other weekend to the mountains! They were cinnamon/brown sugar. SO good. I always eat one too many of them though. I need to find The Good Bean variety! The heart shaped crumb! I would have NEVER spotted that Averie! What a good eye Stacy has. Just in time for Vday – I am STILL drooling over those cookies whenever I see them around. They did so well on FG! Let’s see… what are my Friday things… well, it’s rainy here in Baltimore and all we’re going to do tonight is bake (well, I will bake) and Kevin will sit on the couch watching TV. I love lazy fridays after a crazy week! I’m thinking I’ll be baking something with yeast… and I think you’ll be proud. ;)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 8th, 2013 at 12:03 pm

The chickpea situation of any kind…yeah, I need to be careful too. They’re beans after all but they taste so good going down :)

And the Thin Mints are one of those posts that has been relayed and parlayed; reprinted and relinked. I never knew it would be that popular with magazines. It’s popular with readers but it’s been ridiculously popular with publications who’ve wanted to feature it. It’s been reprinted/relinked in at least six major ones off the top of my head that I can think of. Who knew when I wrote it :)

Marcie @ Flavor the Moments — February 8, 2013 at 11:17 am

Congrats on the Huffington Post feature — your Thin Mints look so wonderful. I’m the roasted vegetable queen….I think I’ve tried it all. It really does make vegetables so much more tasty and appealing, especially for people that just want to choke them down because they have to! I love veggies any which way, but roasted veggies are so comforting and homey. Those good bean treats look like something I need to try…cinnamon is a favorite!

Rhyann — February 8, 2013 at 11:19 am

I reallllly want to try your thin mints. My dad and roommate are both crazy about them and what better time to make them than during girl scout cookie season.

Also, I love The Good Bean products. I really like their bars – the chocolate berry flavor. I’m kind of inspired to roast my own chickpeas and then make some granola/protein bars.

Have a nice weekend!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 8th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Try the Thin Mints! They’re like a 10 min project & well worth it!

Katie — February 8, 2013 at 11:50 am

Cauliflower is easily my favorite real veggie to roast. (Obviously, squash is my favorite overall, though technically a fruit. Hehe.) It gets so sweet and creamy. And with onions? Oh my.

I would loe to try those chickpeas, but as you know….they are dangerous. :)

Sydney @ Crepes of Wrath — February 8, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I love chickpeas in all forms, but those cauliflower photos have won my heart. Congrats on your feature!

Little Kitchie — February 8, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Definitely going to give those Good Beans a try! I am obsessed with those peas, especially the wasabi kind!

Kate@Diethood — February 8, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Congrats on the HuffPost feature! I love those thin mints!
    Roasted veggies?! Hell yes!! I roast everything that I can get my hands on. ;)
    And that potato casserole!! Yummo!

The Healthy Apple — February 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I love Good Beans; awesome post Averie! Have a great weekend. Hope all is well and congrats on the Huff Post feature!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — February 8, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Dried peas are SO incredibly addicting, especially when they’re covered in wasabi ;)

I have been drooling over the new Le Creuset! The colors are unreal.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 8th, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I know they are soooo crunch-able. And the new LeCreuset color is my happy, sunny, warm place. Love that shade.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl — February 8, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I had no idea that you could buy chickpeas already roasted. I love roasting my own, but it would be great to have a convenient alternative to one of my favorite snacks!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 8th, 2013 at 8:37 pm

roasted is what I made and linked to, with the homemade photo
      what I showed from the Good Bean is more ‘dehydrated’. They are exceedingly crunchy and taste like…space food if you’ve ever tried freeze-dried or super dehydrated food.

mine are a soft result
      and theirs are a hard result

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 8, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Congrats on the Huffington Post feature, Averie! Your cookies look better than the GS version!

Allie @ The Nutritional Epiphany — February 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Congratulations on the Huff Post feature! They love your work over there. I feel like I’ve seen them feature you multiple times!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — February 8, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Yayy for the Huff!! So many tasty things you listed…droooooooling!

Good — February 9, 2013 at 3:11 am

Ah I always Love your friday finds.. Congratulations on the feature! That heart crumb is the cutest!!
    I use my termic mug every time I leave the house. It’s actually a metal-type starbucks tumbler. It’s blue, big(16floz), and so easy to really clean good. When I boil the water for our morning tisanes I make extra for my tumbler. Trow in a tisane bag or a little tea-net and some loose herbs, pour over the water and let it sit. I usually only put the lid on after breakfast, it cools down just a little so I won’t burn my mouth later. If I am in class I take a cardboard straw with me to put in later. I put stickers on it. I compared thermo-mugs for two months before my purchase, just to spend my little money on something worth it. As you can tell, it was. :D

Debbie — February 9, 2013 at 3:18 am

My favorite crunch is Mary Gone Crackers. LOVE them!!

Regina @ SpecialtyCakeCreations — February 9, 2013 at 3:51 am

I can’t seem to find a perfect travel mug for myself either. I used to have a plastic Starbucks one for a while and it was great until a small crack between the 2 walls appeared. Coffee would always get in between. It didn’t leak, just looked very unappetizing so I finally threw it out. Every other mug I’ve looked at since didn’t have what I need and I was shocked to see the prices. For a coffee mug, really?

Leanne @ healthful pursuit — February 9, 2013 at 4:36 am

I just heard of the good bean yesterday and was blown away. I need to get my Canadian hands on some ASAP!

Marina@Picnic at Marina — February 9, 2013 at 6:41 am

Aww, how cool is that?! Congratulations on being published, you deserve every bit of it! I am so-so happy for you, and proud too. You work hard on your blog, and all your recipes are wonderful. Thank you for doing it for us. Love your blog, please do what you do! :) We need you here! :)

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — February 9, 2013 at 7:37 am

OMG that heart crumb is too precious!!

jackie @ marin mama cooks — February 9, 2013 at 7:50 am

I have to say that the Le Crueset Dutch oven that I received for Christmas is by far my FAVORITE pan ever. I knew I would love it, but I love it even more than I had imagined. It just makes cooking fun and better. I used it 3 times yesterday. I browned some quinoa in it, made a carrot and ginger soup and then made up some hot quinoa and oat cereal. It was a workhorse yesterday. I also love the yellow color. I’m asking for a smaller sized dutch oven for my birthday. I really like that turquoise color they have out. :) Jackie

Vita @ Juicer Depot — February 9, 2013 at 11:34 am

The thin mint cookies look like the real thing. They turned out so perfect.

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — February 9, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Congrats on the huffington post feature! And that quince le creuset is just gorgeous! They just sent me their braiser and it completely brightens up my kitchen!

Laura Dembowski — February 10, 2013 at 5:40 am

Those chickpea snacks sound so good. I’ve always wanted to try chickpeas like that so this is an easy way to do so. I’ll have to seek them out.

Bree {Skinny Mommy} — February 10, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Congrats on the Huffington Post feauture–yay!

Angela @ Another Bite Please — February 12, 2013 at 5:33 am

ahhhh..the heart shape crumb…love that…and that it was just by coincidence…the friendship bracelet i am laughing thinking of all the string my sisters and i would go through making them throughout the summer.