My Cookbook: Peanut Butter Comfort

I’ve wanted to write this post for over a year. There were so many times I wanted to tell you what I was doing and how I was up to my eyeballs in 17 jars of peanut butter almost every day.

But I decided that rather than drag out the suspense for a year, and long before my book was even going to be in stores or that you could buy it, that I’d just surprise you when the timing was better.

Well, surprise! My first cookbook, Peanut Butter Comfort: Recipes for Breakfasts, Brownies, Cakes, Cookies, Candies, and Frozen Treats Featuring America’s Favorite Spread, is now available for pre-order on Amazon, and will be in stores May 1.

Peanut Butter Comfort: Recipes for Breakfasts, Brownies, Cakes, Cookies, Candies, and Frozen Treats Featuring America's Favorite Spread by Averie Sunshine

The book features more than 100 recipes and they all use peanut butter. Yes, there’s peanut butter in every single recipe. I cannot even tell you how much peanut butter I went through in 2012. I was literally buying it by the gallon while recipe testing.

In some recipes, peanut butter is bold and in your face like in old-fashioned peanut butter cookies.

And in other recipes, it’s subtle, hardly noticeable, and binds ingredients or lends moisture to biscuit dough.

It’s primarily a dessert cookbook, with a focus on comfort food desserts that stick to your ribs like Marshmallow Fluffternutter Butterscotch Bars.

Or a Caramelized Peanut Butter and Banana Upside-Down Cake that will make your soul sing.

There is one chapter devoted to savory and salty-and-sweet combinations like Cheesy Peanut Butter Crackers, a homemade riff on Peanut Butter-Filled-and-Flavored Cheez-Its.

There’s Fresh Spring Rolls with Thai Peanut Sauce. You can’t have a peanut butter book without peanut sauce.

There are a handful of recipes that have appeared on my blog because I have over 50+ recipes on my site that use peanut butter. 35 Peanut Butter Recipes are here, and all of the Peanut Butter Recipes are here. A few recipes I love too much to not include and so in they went.

The irony is that since writing the book and turning in my manuscript last July, I’ve come up with more peanut butter recipes that I wish I could have included but with books, there’s no Edited To Add function like with blogging, and now they’re posted here.

I did all the photography. 100 recipes, 100 photos. Actually, more than 100 photos because at the beginning of chapters and interspersed throughout the book there are accompanying images. You never notice how many photos are in the margins, corners, and sides of pages in a book until you’re the one responsible for making them happen.

I believe there are only two recipes and some frosting recipes that don’t have accompanying photos. It was important to me to really show you what the food looks like when it’s done. It’s a peeve of mine in cookbooks when every fifth or seventh recipe gets a photo and the rest don’t, and I made sure to avoid that.

They say that writing a book is like being pregnant and birthing a baby. Well, I’ve done both and there are striking parallels. In the beginning, I was so full of anticipation, excitement, and so eager. Ready to get on with it, and for the fun to begin. Midway through, the novelty wears off and that initial energy rush has dwindled and it’s hard work to stay on track and keep the other aspects of life humming along, too. Toward the end, you’re dead tired, fatigued, and wonder how you will go on. And in the last week or two before the due date, life is a blur, awake all hours of the day and night, just trying to finish and stay strong.

And then, after all the edits, revisions, changes, going up and back time and time again, you hold your baby in your arms, or in my case see a PDF of my baby on my computer screen, and it’s suddenly all worth it. And I want to do it again because it was the most rewarding and fulling experience.

And I am. But that’s a whole other post.

Here is the front and back cover with jacket flaps. I didn’t design the cover but had input. The photography is mine, but my publisher has a design team who created it.

Although there are similarities to writing a food blog, it’s definitely different. The recipe development, cooking the food, trialing it, photographing it, writing about it, learning about the publishing process, and experiencing it all has been the hardest work, but the best work.  And I’m grateful to the Skyhorse team for their support.

And I’m eternally grateful for my husband’s support. I could not have done it without him. Both from helping me parent our daughter to eating his weight in peanut butter in 2012. I could not have blogged 365 days last year and clocked in 370 posts, written a book, taken care of our house and child without him being Daddy Dearest. That said, it’s amazing how little sleep I got last year and I’m about to do it again.

You’d think I would have gotten sick of peanut butter in this whole process but I haven’t. My recipe yesterday included it and I adore it just as much as ever.

I hope you love peanut butter and Peanut Butter Comfort as much as I do.

Thank you for your support!

270 Responses to “My Cookbook: Peanut Butter Comfort”

Haley — February 15, 2013 at 7:54 am

OMG! That’s so exciting! Congrats! I can’t wait to buy it :)

Taylor — February 15, 2013 at 7:57 am

That’s so awesome! Congratulations! I was wondering when you would get your own cookbook :) You definitely deserve it, it’s easy to see how hard you work to perfect your recipes and give the readers lots of tips and tricks. Congratulations again!

K @ Ototheno — February 15, 2013 at 8:02 am

Averie that’s so exciting!! Congratulations!!! And a peanut-butter centred cookbook at that! I’m so looking forward to it- I’m all up for new ways to consume my favourite substance (aside from chocolate). Good for you :)

Eva @ Eva Bakes — February 15, 2013 at 8:02 am

Congrats on your cookbook! How very exciting!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — February 15, 2013 at 8:46 am

Oh my gosh. If I were ever to do a cookbook it would be about peanut butter, but I don’t think I would have to do that now with this! I love that it comes out May 1st, just in time for my bday on the 4th ;-)

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — February 15, 2013 at 8:54 am

Yaaaaaaay!! I’m so excited for you!! And I love peanut butter, this book looks fantastic, great job :)

Michaela — February 15, 2013 at 8:55 am

wow!!! congrats! that is terrific :)

Kristina — February 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

congrats, Averie!

last year you alluded to “finishing a big project” right before you went on a vacation…? I kinda thought this was it :D you picked a good topic, for sure!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 11:45 am

Oh wow you have a stellar memory. I did say that. Anyone who read between the lines, I did drop a few clues in 2012 about it; not many though. You are Sherlock Holmes :)

Terri A. — February 15, 2013 at 9:13 am

That’s awesome! Congratulations!

Brooke — February 15, 2013 at 9:17 am

Congrats Averie!! I’m sure that was a lot of hard work but like you said, well worth it in the end. I am looking forward to reading this book and trying out some new, delicious recipes!

Christy — February 15, 2013 at 9:20 am

Wow, what a big secret to keep! Congratulations! You must be so excited :)

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — February 15, 2013 at 9:34 am

You amaze me! How did you keep this secret. I would be talking about it 24/7! I can not wait to get my hands on a copy. So proud of you and so freaking excited! Congrats.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 11:40 am

Thanks, Carrie. Figured I’d just announce it when people could do something about it…i.e. buy it :)

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes — February 15, 2013 at 9:47 am

Well this day is finally here and I am so, so happy for you, friend! You deserve all of the good that is surely going to come your way as a result of this amazing, enormous project on which I know you have been TIRELESSLY working. The book itself looks GORGEOUS (not that I am surprised at all) and I just can’t wait to read about all of the magic that you make with peanut butter: my next click is to preorder my very own copy and copies for all of the peanut butter lovers in my life.

Congrats, congrats, CONGRATS, Averie! No go take a nap – YOU DESERVE IT! Hugs!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 11:40 am

Nothing like a little suspense, eh? Well, figured I wouldn’t jump the gun and for me, the right call to just work on it behind the scenes rather than make a spectacle about it before anyone could even do anything about it, i.e. order it. And thank you for your support & friendship in every way and love all our emails.xoxo

a farmer in the dell — February 15, 2013 at 9:55 am

Congrats Averie! I cannot wait to order a copy! Peanut Butter Comfort is the perfect name!!! Love it!

Alexandra — February 15, 2013 at 9:57 am

This is AMAZING news! I’m so happy for you. I LOVE the idea of a book dedicated completely to peanut butter and I have no doubt that every recipe in there will be completely drool-worthy and incredible. You dedicate so much time to all things baking and cooking and knowing how fantastic a job you do on the blog, I can’t wait to see the book! Congrats :D

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — February 15, 2013 at 10:11 am

Yay, Averie! So thrilled and happy for you – this is the perfect first cookbook for you! :) Congrats and wishing you much success! Now take the weekend off and relax – you deserve it :).

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 11:38 am

Thank you for every comment, pin, and good vibe of support you’ve ever sent my way, Laura :) All so appreciated. You are the pinning queen and I am so grateful…seriously!

Karly — February 15, 2013 at 10:58 am

Oh my gosh, Averie! I am so excited for you! Congratulations!!

Wow…I can’t believe you never mentioned you were writing a cookbook! Sneaky girl!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 11:37 am

Yeah remember all our emails where I was always saying how busy I was…yeah. :)

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — February 15, 2013 at 11:17 am

Congratulations Averie! This is so exciting! As a major peanut butter lover, I can’t wait to check out your cookbook!

Erika — February 15, 2013 at 11:18 am

Wow Averie this is awesome!!! I’m so happy for you…

Holly Waterfall — February 15, 2013 at 11:35 am

YAY! Congratulations! I’m so so excited for you and your achievement in writing a cookbook. With as much as you post (370 posts in 2012?!), I would have no idea that you were also working on a book. You are truly a wonderwoman!
    Also, I have always meant to tell you how cool I think your last name is. You truly live up to your name, and it shows in every single post.

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — February 15, 2013 at 11:57 am

Congrats! You must be thrilled. BTW I totally want to steal your ladle ;)

Krista — February 15, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Congratulations, Averie!!!

Sue/the view from great island — February 15, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Oh Averie! I am so excited I can hardly stand it—this is so incredible! I can’t believe you were able to keep the secret for so long, but you’re right, the surprise announcement is a pretty powerful way to go. I’m thrilled for you, and can’t wait to get it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Thanks, Sue! And if you lived 100 miles closer, I would have dumped so much PB food off at your doorstep. I literally was up to my eyeballs in PB for most of the year :) And yes, I figured, why bother talking about it until there was something that could be done, like $$ buy it.

Eileen — February 15, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Hooray! Congratulations on your new book! What a great accomplishment. :) You must feel so proud–and so happy to have the project done and the secret finally out!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Yes it’s kind of a weight off my shoulders! I just wanted to do it before I started blabbing about it :)

bridget — February 15, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for three years and have loved watching the evolution of it! Thinking back to the raw veggies and peanut sauce dip recipes, you’ve come a long way. Congrats! I’ll definitely be purchasing the book :)

Marcie@FlavortheMoments — February 15, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Congratulations, Averie! That’s so exciting. Being that a day rarely goes by that I don’t indulge in peanut butter, I’m sure your cookbook will be just right for me!

karen — February 15, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I love your site. I, like a few others, had no idea that you were working on a cookbook. The best part is that it is about Peanut Butter. My 12 year old will worship you. She thinks that there is only one food group worth mentioning–peanut butter. Thanks for all the great recipes you share with us and I wish you great success on the cookbook.

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Thanks for the kind words and reading (and hope your 12 yr old will enjoy the recipes!)

Dayna — February 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm

Congratulations!!! I’ll have to add Peanut Butter Comfort to my wishlist! As a PB-addict, I’m pretty excited for it!

tracy {pale yellow} — February 15, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Congratulations!!! What a fantastic subject for a cookbook. I already added to my Amazon wishlist.

vanillasugarblog — February 15, 2013 at 2:34 pm

oh averie–
    i’m so happy for you!
    please send me a copy, i’d be happy as ever to promote it for you.
    i hope i’m next!
    fingers crossed.
    xoxo
    so proud of YOU!!!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Thanks, Dawn! I hope you’re next, too! Thanks for your support, always!
      xoxo :)

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — February 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm

No way, Averie! This is amazing, congratulations! Wishing you tons of success with your new book… it looks absolutely wonderful and full of scrumptious peanut butter treats. Great job!

Barbara @ Barbara Bakes — February 15, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Congratulations! How exciting. This cookbook is a peanut butter lovers dream.

JulieD — February 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Congratulations, Averie! You should be so proud!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:53 pm

:) thanks Julie! And I saw your giveaway for Lindsay’s book but I already have it – love it!

Sarah — February 15, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Congratulations, Averie! What a lot of hard work. Enjoy!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Thanks, Sarah – but I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know! You’ve done this…twice! :)

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — February 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm

CONGRATS!! That’s awesome! Time to party??! :) You deserve it!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Thanks, Anna! And hopefully that email I sent you helped. LMK what you end up doing.

Ala — February 15, 2013 at 5:07 pm

You are such an inspiration–and publishing a first cookbook featuring *peanut butter* was nothing short of genius. I’ve been making PB at home ever since I came across your post for doing it, and I’d love nothing more than to cook my way through your cookbook with it. Congrats, Averie!!

Hanna — February 15, 2013 at 5:08 pm

What an amazing accomplishment! Congratulations on your upcoming book, I can’t wait to purchase it!

lee — February 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Congratulations!! What a wonderful accomplishment, and kudos to you for pursuing this project! =)

Amber K — February 15, 2013 at 5:38 pm

How exciting! That’s so awesome for you :)

• Amber K replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Oh! And I forgot to say that I can’t stand cookbooks without pictures. Huge pet peeve of mine. I love that you’re including so many!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Mine too – so took care of that peeve :)

Hannah — February 15, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Oh Averie, congratulations! This is so huge, and I’m incredibly proud and thrilled that your dream is becoming a reality! There really is nothing that peanut butter can’t do, so it’s the perfect subject to launch your cookbook career with. I seriously can’t wait to check it out. :)

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 5:51 pm

Thanks Hannah! Between ice cream and vegan desserts in general, I know I’m not telling you anything new about what a great feeling it is to be at this point. Thanks for your support way back when :)

Angela @ Canned Time — February 15, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Such wonderful news. I have mine reserved and can’t wait to see it ♥

angela @ another bite please — February 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm

oh averie congratulations….I am so happy you shared the news and i think i’ve posted numerous times saying “you should make a cookbook” SO I am so excited to have your peanut butter cookbook stocked in my kitchen in May. And I have to say I am super duper incredibly impressed that you made a cookbook, created your own i know going to be awesome recipes, took all your own photos(which yeah since your photos are always amazing) AND blogged 365 days a year and stayed such a sweet attentive blogger at that. WOW yeah for averie really congrats and I can’t wait to page through this book!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 9:13 pm

You have always said that! And I wanted to tell people all along but then…just decided to make my big announcement now :) But thank you for your support and yes, blogging 365 days a year and trying to be a mommy and wife and supportive member of our blogging community can be a juggling act, for sure :) But I love it and wouldn’t have it any other way!

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition — February 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Oh my goodness congrats!! I read your blog almost every day and always drool at your peanut butter recipes:) I will definitely have to find this:)

Allie@LiveLaughEat — February 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm

WOW!!! Congrats, Averie! What an accomplishment (and a secret!!).

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — February 15, 2013 at 7:37 pm

AVERIE!!! I am so soooo excited for you! The cookbook looks incredible and I cannot wait to own it and make all the amazing goodies you’ve dreamed up! I am in awe of you, this is so amazing.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — February 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is friggen awesome! I am so buying your book! I know I will love it! I am soooooooooooooooo proud of you!!!!!!!!!!!! So proud!! Congratulations!!!!

• Averie @ Averie Cooks replied: — February 15th, 2013 at 9:10 pm

I knew you’d love the book, given your love of PB & thanks for the support, always!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — February 15, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Congratulations, Averie! This is so exciting, I can’t wait to get the book!

Jackie — February 15, 2013 at 7:54 pm

This is so exciting, and I’m excited for you! Big accomplishment; pat yourself on the back. Or better yet, eat one of those delectible peanut butter yummies you probably have hanging around your kitchen, or in the freezer. Good thing I don’t live by you; on days I don’t have time to bake, which is most the time, I’d probably be nonchalantly strollin’ by hoping to glean some crumbs from you. Best of luck!

luv what you do — February 15, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Oh my gosh! That is so exciting!!!!
    Who doesn’t love PB?! I can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with!

Bree — February 15, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Yay! I am thrilled for you! It looks absolutely beautiful! Way to go!