Mini Blue Cheese Quiche Phyllo Cups

Blue cheese is one of those love it or leave it type foods that seems to get a strong reaction either way.

This is the best blue cheese I’ve had. I love it, for sure.

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche in Phyllo Cups averiecooks.com

When I was at Big Potluck a couple weeks ago, I was shoveling crackers in my mouth that were heavily smeared with this Kerrygold Cashel Blue Farmhouse Cheese.

It’s a big, bold, robustly-flavored cheese made in Ireland on a family farm and although it’s tangy, sharp, and intense, it’s smooth and has a very addictive quality. Just one more cracker. Ok, two more. Another sip of wine. And three more crackers with cheese.

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche in Phyllo Cups averiecooks.com

The cheese tastes especially good with wine.

And with friends on beautiful, sunny California days.

Big Potluck averiecooks.com

At the event, 75 bloggers drank the open wine bar dry by about 9pm and we didnt’t arrive until after 6pm.

We really like our wine and cheese.

Big Potluck averiecooks.com

I like this blue cheese simply smeared on crackers after it’s been sitting out at room temperature for awhile so that it softens and the flavors really develop. Serving cheese this bold and beautiful with grapes or apples is a must because the sweet, crisp, crunchy fruit balances the dense, savory cheese.

But rather than just smear it on crackers, I wanted to make something with it, and this is what I came up with.

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche in Phyllo Cups averiecooks.com

These little mini quiche cups are my husband’s dream food. Eggs, cream, carbs, and cheese, all in one.

It’s nearly work-free recipe, taking less than 5 minutes to assemble and from start to finish, just about 20 minutes and you’re eating it. That’s my dream food.

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche in Phyllo Cups averiecooks.com

Beat two eggs, add a splash of cream, pour into phyllo shells, top with a hunk of cheese, and bake.

They’d be a nice brunch or shower menu idea, or pass them as an appetizer at a cocktail or wine-and-cheese party. Two bites, no silverware needed.

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche in Phyllo Cups averiecooks.com

I used Fillo Factory Mini Shells and after I poured the egg mixture into the phyllo shells, a few of them were leakers. Egg in, egg out; all over the baking tray. But I baked them anyway, and placed the egg pieces back into the cups after baking. Just giving you fair warning and full disclosure that not every single cup has an airtight seal. I learned all about phyllo dough when I made Nutella Chocolate Chip Baklava.

You could instead use mini pie shells, or make your own pie crust and press it into a muffin pan. Try refrigerated crescent roll dough, puff pastry, or skip the crust all-together, and bake the egg and cheese mixture directly in a muffin pan. There are a zillion ways to go with the basic idea. Cheese can do no wrong.

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche in Phyllo Cups averiecooks.com

You can doctor up the egg mixture with spinach, mushrooms, scallions, onions, garlic, peppers, or any number of vegetables or spices. The phyllo cups, however, are very shallow and add-ins would be better suited to a muffin tin which is deeper. Plus, I wanted to focus on the luscious blue cheese and skipped any competing flavors.

Before serving, optionally drizzle a bit of honey over the top. A play on salty and sweet.

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche in Phyllo Cups averiecooks.com

My husband was all over the mini quiche.

And I’m all over the cheese. We all win.

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche in Phyllo Cups averiecooks.com

Print Print Recipe

Mini Blue Cheese Quiche Phyllo Cups

Blue cheese is great on its own, but when baked into mini quiche, it's even better. Assembly and prep takes mere minutes, making it a great recipe to try for brunches, showers, or as an appetizer at a wine-and-cheese or cocktail party when you're pressed for time and need something easy, fast, unique, and full of flavor.

Yield: 15 mini quiche

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 18 minutes

Total Time: 23 minutes

Ingredients:

2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons half-and-half (or whole milk, or heavy cream)
15 mini phyllo shells (or try mini pie crust shells, crescent roll dough, puff pastry, or baking directly in a muffin pan - adjusting baking time as necessary)
diced vegetables or spices, optional and to taste (try spinach, smushrooms, scallions, peppers, onions, garlic)
15 teaspoons Kerrygold Cashel Blue Farmhouse Cheese, divided
honey for drizzling before serving, optional

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat, parchment, or spray with cooking spray. Place phyllo shells on baking tray; set aside.
  2. In a measuring cup with a pour spout (nearly impossible to fill cups if you don't use something with a pour spout), beat eggs and cream together with a fork until smooth.
  3. Pour mixture into phyllo shells, divided evenly, filling them about 3/4 full. (Don't worry if some of your shells leak; mine did too. Just scoop the egg that bakes onto the baking tray into the shells after baking)
  4. Top each shell with about 1 teaspoon of blue cheese, a small marble-sized hunk.
  5. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until eggs are set and lightly golden. Serve immediately.
  6. Optionally, crumble more cheese over the tops; or drizzle with honey or a favorite sauce if desired.
  7. Mini quiche are best fresh, but extras will keep airtight in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.

Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.

Related Recipes:

Creamy and Crispy Hash Browns Frittata (vegetarian, GF)

Spicy Baked Eggs and Hash Brown Casserole (vegetarian, GF)

Vegetable Lasagna Casserole (vegan, GF)

Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata (vegatarian, GF)

Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters (vegetarian, GF)

Vegetable Fried Rice Frittata (vegetarian, GF)

Macaroni and Cheese Baked Cheese Balls

Roasted Grapes and Balsamic Reduction with Cheese and Crackers

Cheesy Taco Casserole (GF with vegan options)

Thanks for the entries in the Kitchen Aid 5-Quart Stand Mixer Giveaway!

Since my blog makeover, I’ve been told that my comment replies are going into spam. Please check your spam folder and un-spam them if necessary. Thanks!

Do you like Blue Cheese? Cheese in general?

What do you make with cheese?

68 Responses to “Mini Blue Cheese Quiche Phyllo Cups”

Diane @ Vintage Zest — May 16, 2013 at 12:25 am

Irish cheese is amazing, having just come back from there. :) I LOVE blue cheese and honey paired together, but it looks so good even without the drizzle. Pinning for my next party with hors d’oeuvres!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 12:35 am

Well look at you, just getting back from Ireland! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip and thanks for the pin!

Jess — May 16, 2013 at 1:39 am

I LOVE the idea of drizzling honey over these tempting little bites, Averie. What a great combination of flavors. Phyllo tastes so light but has all that good stuff going for it that all flaky pastries do – beautiful idea for a spring appetizer.

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope — May 16, 2013 at 2:38 am

I LOVE this recipe Averie! I used to hate blue cheese with a passion, but somehow it started growing on me and now it’s one of my favorites! I’ve never played around with using phyllo before, but apparently I need to start! ;)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 2:45 am

What a treat to have you pop into my inbox! I just poked around your site and caught up a little bit on your life! :) And being from the great state of Wisc, I would expect no less than you to enjoy some cheese :)

I see your pictures, I read about sunny California days and I can hear Marlena’s Shaw song – California soul :)

Paula — May 16, 2013 at 3:50 am

I love your savory recipes as much as the sweet ones, and a drizzle of honey seems like the perfect finish for these. I am putting blue cheese and mini phyllo shells on my grocery list. I found a simple recipe several years ago that seemed a little strange at first so I had to try it…roasted diced sweet potatoes tossed with blue cheese crumbles and toasted pecan pieces. The mix of flavors ended up working quite well.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:27 am

I had realized it’s been AWHILE since a savory recipe so figured it was high time to do at least one. In 2013 :) And that combo of sweet potatoes/blue cheese and toasted pecans – I could see where that would work! Glad you have new groc list items!

ashley - baker by nature — May 16, 2013 at 3:51 am

I love-love-love blue cheese! But it took me yeeeeeeears to actually try it. I would down these little quiche cups like nobodies biz!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:26 am

I was seriously standing at that buffet table spread when they were doing awards and giving away KitchenAid stuff and just going to town on the cheese like it was liquid gold :)

Marie @ Little Kitchie — May 16, 2013 at 4:02 am

I am a total blue cheese freak – I love the stuff! And I also love anything mini :) I would inhale these!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:25 am

If you already love blue cheese, you HAVE TO try this Cashel Blue from Kerrygold. It’s amazing!

Joanne — May 16, 2013 at 4:09 am

These are the perfect little blue cheese bites! Seriously that cheese sounds awesome and definitely like something I need in my life!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:24 am

It’s so….good. It’s intense and I bet you would just love it!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! — May 16, 2013 at 4:41 am

Ooooh, I so want to try these! What cute little bites! I love blue cheese and would most definitely love these, I just know it.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat — May 16, 2013 at 5:09 am

A perfect appetizer! I love it! They look so pretty too!

Tieghan — May 16, 2013 at 5:11 am

I LOVE blue cheese! There little bites are pure heaven and the perfect summer app!

Jen @ Savory Simple — May 16, 2013 at 5:25 am

I love those mini phyllo cups! They make the best finger food. And I feel like I can taste that blue cheese though my screen. Love it!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 5:28 am

Glad the pics translate! Not the easiest little buggers to photograph :)

Erika-Southern Souffle — May 16, 2013 at 5:59 am

I LOVE Blue cheese and these looks uh-mazing.. look at those photos.. it pops right out at you..Stunning!!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Thanks, Erika! I loved the colors in these pics as well!

Christy@SweetandSavoring — May 16, 2013 at 6:10 am

I love when you do savory recipes! And I just might be a sucker for anything in phyllo dough :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

It had been ages so I figured I’d do a savory one!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — May 16, 2013 at 6:34 am

Love Blue Cheese! Great appetizer!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — May 16, 2013 at 6:42 am

Blue cheese is definitely an acquired taste. I love the option of drizzling these with honey. I am all over that!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

And glad you like my bread recipe, too :)

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen — May 16, 2013 at 7:00 am

So much colour in those photos, love it! It caught my attention right away. I only started liking blue cheese a couple years ago, and if I could eat more dairy I think I would have it at every meal. With fruit! and pizza! and mini quiche phyllo cups!!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I loved the turquoise blue, too! It’s one of my fave colors!

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — May 16, 2013 at 8:05 am

My boyfriend and I love making meals out of finger foods and we love our carbs and cheese, so this is the perfect recipe for us! I love the blue tray you used in these photos- it really caught my attention and brought out the lighter color of the phyllo cups!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Faith! It’s a LeCreuset platter and I felt it was tailor-made for this recipe and photo shoot!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungry — May 16, 2013 at 9:05 am

I fall into the category where I cant stand blue cheese ever since I got sick off it on on a trip to Rome. BUT! These little quiche cups look delicious and I am sure would taste equally as great with a sharp cheddar cheese.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

They would be delish with sharp cheddar, goat, mozzarella, you name it. Really you can’t go wrong!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — May 16, 2013 at 9:54 am

I love supe simple recipes like that – they seem so much more elegant than they are. Sometimes you don’t have to go overboard for something really nice. I’m not a blue cheese fan (Jason is though), but I love smoked gouda, feta or goat cheese.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:46 pm

they seem so much more elegant than they are. <– that is my goal! Looks fancy but takes very little time. I wish they could all be like that :)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

These are the perfect little bite sized snack to make when you have literally no time and with guests coming over in 10 minutes. Pour a tall glass of wine and give me a plate of these babies. I LOVE blue cheese. And when blue cheese comes in it’s own little phyllo cup, perfect for popping one after the other, well consider me the happiest gal in the world. These are adorable Averie. PS: I love your blue plate! What a gorgeous photoshoot.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:39 pm

Thank you, I thought it was pretty gorgeous myself :) They weren’t easy to capture b/c of the cheese/reflection and the size. They are SMALL! But when I finally hit my groove, it was on. And it’s a Le Creuset platter than I don’t think could have been any more scripted for the shoot! Thanks for noticing :)

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — May 16, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I love phyllo cups, blue cheese is the perfect filling!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — May 16, 2013 at 3:26 pm

1. I want to go to the potluck sometime. So much fun!
    2. I want to smoosh my face in those phyllo cups…

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 4:38 pm

you would love Potluck! Very chill and low key :)

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy — May 16, 2013 at 4:07 pm

oooh I bet those are so tasty! With the tangy blue cheese and crunchy phyllo…mmmm!

Heather @ French Press — May 16, 2013 at 4:58 pm

love love love blue cheese, and I can’t believe I’ve never thought to use it in a quiche. and phyllo – I am suddenly very huyngry

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — May 16, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Mmm, these look good. I love anything in phyllo. Especially cheese!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I don’t think they’re on your current protocol…except on…The Weekend! The free days :)

Kristin @ Dizzy Busy and Hungry! — May 16, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I so love blue cheese! I don’t have a lot of recipes with it though. These look fantastic and I can’t wait to make them! Beautiful pictures!

Heather @ Sugar Dish Me — May 16, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Blue Cheese Lover for life!! It is definitely a love it or hate it food. These little babies are GORGEOUS, girl. I want them! Also I am dying to put little dried cranberries or strawberries on each quiche. Love the grapey suggestion, too.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Oh dried cranberries would be PERFECT – the tart, the chewy factor, mmmm, next time, for sure! :)

Sarah Taggs — May 16, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I’m drooling over all your recipes! I’m getting a pretty long list of ones I need to try!

J @ Chocolate Covered Chickpeas — May 16, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I’ll be honest – I’ve never had blue cheese, and I’m kinda scared to try it. These quiche phyllo cups, however, look delicious! I just might try blue cheese now…

gorgeous food photography btw :)

Katie — May 16, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I LOVE blue cheese! I used to hate it, back when I could eat it. Murphy’s law. I still eat it when I encounter it, which isn’t all that often, sadly.

Love this idea for a great throw-together at the last minute for when you forgot to make something for the potluck. Not that I have ever done that. Or not that I’m saying you did.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 16th, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Being from the great state of Wisc, it’s so ironic that now, you don’t even eat cheese. Murphy’s Law.

Deborah — May 17, 2013 at 6:12 am

Blue cheese is one of my very, very favorites. Which means I’m pretty sure I could eat a whole batch of these myself!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 17th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

And thanks for the Pin. Wish we could share these in person together :)

Bree {Skinny Mommy} — May 17, 2013 at 9:20 am

Oh Averie these look amazing!

Gloria @ Simply Gloria — May 17, 2013 at 9:40 am

YUM! My husband would love this! He’s a blue cheese fanatic, for sure! Love working with phyllo dough…and eating it too! I’m pinning these into my Party Bites board…cz these say party all over them!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — May 17, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Oh, I could eat an entire platter of these Mini Blue Cheese Quiches…being all sweet and salty with the addition of drizzled honey. Yes, please! xo

Valerie — May 17, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I don’t know enough people who appreciate blue cheese as much as I do! The sharper and tangier, the better. These lovely phyllo cups look irresistible!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 17th, 2013 at 3:35 pm

This is the sharpest, tangiest, yet smoothest, ever. It’s like eating spicy food – once you start, you just want MORE! Valerie, you’d LOVE this cheese!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — May 17, 2013 at 10:14 pm

I’m not much of a blue cheese person but I could gobble these up no problem!

Yvonne @ bitter baker — May 17, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I can’t get over your pictures!! These little mini quiches are so cute, and they look perfect on that blue background! Definitely making this, looks and sounds delicious!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 18th, 2013 at 12:59 am

Thanks for the photography compliments!

Paula — May 19, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Ohhh–loved these! I definitely got a little blue cheese fix this weekend. I like the flaky, crisp phyllo shells, but crescent roll dough would also be good, and these are soooo easy! I’m glad I tried a touch of honey–it balances out the blue cheese quite nicely!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — May 19th, 2013 at 7:52 pm

So glad you tried these and yes SO easy! I happened to have the phyllo shells on hand, otherwise crescent rolls would have been good and yes, the honey is a nice touch – totally balances the tang and sharpness of the blue cheese. Yay! Glad you tried and loved these :) Thanks for coming back to tell me!

Heather - Chickabug — July 2, 2013 at 9:04 am

Every photo is soooo delicious looking! I’m really craving quiche cups right now! : )

Monica M — July 27, 2013 at 6:44 am

Hello Averie, I just made these and they were so tasty and easy to make! Plus they make a great party food as they look so pretty! :) Hope you have a great weekend

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 27th, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed these and I love that you try my savory recipes as well as sweet, and when you make my bread recipes, too. Most people make sweets and so the savory stuff (and sometimes the bread) I almost never hear any feedback on – but glad these were an easy hit!