12 Favorite Blueberry Recipes

I just love baking with blueberries. I like baking with them as much as I like eating them fresh.

I usually save my fresh for eating, and bake with frozen, and all the treats here were made with frozen, so you can make them year round.

Favorite Blueberry Recipes - Easy, fun recipes using blueberries at averiecooks.com

1. Blueberry Muffin and Buttermilk Pancakes Cake – This cake base is so good and it’s inspired 3 more cakes to date. Soft, fluffy, and no mixer needed

Blueberry Muffin and Buttermilk Pancakes Cake - Recipe at averiecooks.com

2.Blueberry Dutch Baby Pancake – Don’t stand at the stove flipping pancakes when you can bake one giant pancake. So easy

Blueberry Dutch Baby Pancake - Easy Recipe at averiecooks.com

3. The Best Vegan Blueberry Muffins – The best blueberry muffins I’ve ever had or made, healthy or otherwise. They just happen to be healthy and made with a secret ingredient you’ll never guess

The Best Vegan Blueberry Muffins (with a Secret Ingredient) - Recipe at averiecooks.com

4. Blueberry Muffins with Raspberry Jam Swirls – Classic blueberry muffins with swirls of jam to give them a new, tasty twist

5. Blueberry and Jam Buttermilk Coffee Cake with Buttery Vanilla Glaze – One of the best coffee cakes or cakes I’ve ever made and highly recommended

6. Mixed Berry Clafoutis – Batter made in 1 minute in the blender. Like a custard that meets creme brulee with berries

7. Blueberry and Cream Cheese Muffin Top Bread – Tastes like one big muffin top. Ridiculously soft and moist

8. Cream Cheese-Swirled Cherry and Mixed Berries Cake – Buttermilk, oil, sour cream, cream cheese and juicy fruit. Falling apart soft and tender

Cream Cheese-Swirled Cherry and Mixed Berries Cake - Easy Recipe at averiecooks.com

9. Blueberry Yogurt Cake with Lemon Vanilla Glaze – A healthier cake option that’s made with Greek yogurt

10. Creamy Mixed Berry White Chocolate Crumble Bars - Fast, easy, uses a handy shortcut, and loaded with berries and white chocolate

11. Microwave Blueberry Banana Oat Cakes (vegan, GF) – Single-serving, ready in 3 minutes, and a longstanding reader favorite for breakfast or a portable snack. All you need is a microwave

12. Blueberry Banana Recovery Smoothie (vegan, GF) – Blueberries and bananas not only taste great, but are great for you

What’s your favorite recipe using blueberries? – Links welcome

Or do manage to eat them all before baking with them?

64 Responses to “12 Favorite Blueberry Recipes”

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen — August 2, 2013 at 12:19 am

So nice to see a link up of all your blueberry recipes. There are such wonderful blueberries right now! I was never quite sure what a clafoutis was before, and now I really want to try it. I also agree on fresh vs. frozen- almost always bake with frozen and eat the fresh. I couldn’t resist with these cookies, though: http://katyskitchen.ca/blueberry-lime-yogurt-cookies/

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance — August 2, 2013 at 12:29 am

I almost always use frozen blueberries as well because I’ve noticed that trying to bake with fresh blueberries around results in snacking on said blueberries leading me to reach in the freezer for frozen.

I have to try the white chocolate blueberry crumble bars. I can’t believe I have never thought to put white chocolate with blueberries. It’s genius Averie!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 2nd, 2013 at 12:57 am

BBs and white choc are a match made in heaven!

Putputt @ Putputt Eats — August 2, 2013 at 1:23 am

I love baking with blueberries! They add so much color and such a wonderful burst of gooey flavor. That Dutch baby pancake has my name written all over it…and as for the microwaved oat cake…that just looks heavenly. Thank you for sharing! These are genius!

Ellen — August 2, 2013 at 1:28 am

These all look so gorgeously good! If I can hold of on eating them straight, I live summer berry puddings-the bread and fruit dessert. There is a really easy layered version I made called Maine Blueberry Pudding here:

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 2nd, 2013 at 7:39 am

Mmm! I love bread puddings and this one looks like a winner!

Paula — August 2, 2013 at 3:54 am

I like eating fresh blueberries and baking with frozen. I am making this blueberry balsamic sauce today http://www.americanfood.answers.com/sauces/a-delicious-sauce-for-your-hamburger-blueberry-ketchup I cut down the amt of brown sugar when I make it, but it’s pretty versatile. Mine is going on a pile of arugula, kale and swiss chard for lunch.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 2nd, 2013 at 7:38 am

Years ago I remember seeing a savory blueberry sauce and I had it bookmarked forever but never got around to it. This looks incredible and I know we both love our balsamic, too. How perfect! And ginger too – mmm!

Christy@SweetandSavoring — August 2, 2013 at 4:21 am

Fantastic bunch of recipes (and pictures!). Sharing this post with my mom, since she’s wild about berries and would love to try some of these. Thanks Averie, have a good weekend!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! — August 2, 2013 at 4:41 am

I love all the pretty blue and purple tones going on in this post! Great round-up for this time of year… Can’t get enough of blueberries right now!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life — August 2, 2013 at 4:58 am

I’m not a person who just loves to pop fresh blueberries by the handful but I sure love them baked into treats. These recipes look perfect for a breakfast date with a girlfriend which I’m actually having next week. I better get to planning.

Laura Dembowski — August 2, 2013 at 5:33 am

I lovr bakingwith blueberries andmostfresh fruit really. I’m making all of my favorites and enjoying the bounty of summer!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) — August 2, 2013 at 6:00 am

I love the blueberry round-up! Blueberries are so perfect for muffins, quick breads, one-bowl cakes, etc. I’ve been using mostly fresh lately, but I do love having the option of using frozen year-round. I may even attempt to dry some blueberries before the season ends!

Tieghan — August 2, 2013 at 7:03 am

I too love to eat my fresh blueberries and bake with the frozen. I hate putting those fresh berries into something since they are just so good on their own! These all look so good And Averie you have been making my mouth water with every last blueberry post you have posted this summer! Loving blueberries this year!

Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough — August 2, 2013 at 7:20 am

I cannot get enough berries this season! It’s a bit of a problem. :) That pancake cake and coffee cake especially are calling my name… all the cakes, really. :)

Haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine — August 2, 2013 at 7:21 am

The Blueberry Muffin and Buttermilk Pancakes Cake looks to die for!!! I am adding that to my list!! Mmm!! (:

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — August 2, 2013 at 8:21 am

As I’m reading this, I’m actually drinking a blueberry smoothie! :) I love blueberries as well. The last dessert I made was topped with blueberries: Coconut Chia Pudding http://www.confessionsofachocoholic.com/healthy/coconut-chia-pudding

Laura (Tutti Dolci) — August 2, 2013 at 8:23 am

You know I want a bite of each one of these!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 2nd, 2013 at 8:28 am

I tried to get to your site just now but am getting a ‘server error’ – don’t want to set off the alarm bells, maybe it’s just me, but can’t get in!

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl — August 2, 2013 at 9:02 am

Blueberries were always the way to go with my mom’s baking as a kid, so it holds a special (yummy) place in my heart. Loving this list!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — August 2, 2013 at 9:22 am

I have a pint of blueberries begging to be used for each and every one of these recipes! Amazing roundup, Averie!

Jackie {The Beeroness} — August 2, 2013 at 9:37 am

I’m really picky about fresh blueberries, but I love them baked. That pancake cake looks outstanding!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — August 2, 2013 at 10:25 am

Everything looks fantastic! It’s kind of funny, I never thought I liked blueberries until a few years ago.

Marta @ What Should I eat for breakfast today — August 2, 2013 at 10:32 am

I was planning on doing a blueberry dutch baby, thank you for a recipe :)

Becky — August 2, 2013 at 11:42 am

Wonderful and inspiring collection of recipes. I am fortunate to have a friend that provides me with gobs of berries each summer. I wash them, allow them to dry for a bit and then put them in food saver bags. We have “fresh” berries all winter! And now I have some new recipes to try. Delish!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 2nd, 2013 at 11:47 am

Great idea to just wash & freeze. I have always wondered if that changes the texture (I’m sure it does to an extent) but for baking, since I bake with frozen anyway, I should try. Now I just need a friend who wants to give me gobs :)

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile — August 2, 2013 at 11:47 am

I’m still obsessing over the Best Vegan Blueberry Muffins! They are heavenly. And I want to try that yogurt cake. I love yogurt in baked goods!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 2nd, 2013 at 11:53 am

Ok the yogurt cake is good but if I’m being honest and you want to make a bb cake, make the Muffin/Pancake Cake. Or the coffee cake. Or the cream cheese cake. Or the cream cheese muffintop bread. All of them call for sour cream or Greek yogurt so you’re in luck :)

Kevin @ Closet Cooking — August 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

What an amazing collection of blueberry recipes!

Eva @ Eva Bakes — August 2, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I’m loving all the blueberry recipes you made, Averie! One can never have too many of them!

Andrea — August 2, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Last week the Brown Eyed Baker Blog posted a recipe for these blueberry crumble bars. I ran out to Sam’s for the blueberries and made them immediately. They were the best blueberry recipe I have ever made!!! I can justify eating them for breakfast or dessert…or a snack! She got the recipe from Smitten Kitchen so that is the link I’m posting. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/07/blueberry-crumb-bars/

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 2nd, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I saw Michelle post those too! Thanks for linking to Deb’s recipe, again, as a reminder. My mom used to make something like that when I was growing up with my dad’s raspberries from the garden. Thanks for saying it’s the best ever bb recipe you’ve ever made! Wow!

Katie — August 2, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I eat fresh and bake with frozen, but I rarely even do that. I can’t wait for fresh blueberries to be in season here (we’re so far behind….) so I can pick TONS and make….JAM!!

Have you tried the dried blueberries from TJs? The wild ones are great – tiny – and perfect for cookies!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 2nd, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Yes I’ve had those TJs ones but they’re $$ so I reserve them for the ultimate treat. I was actually going to bake cookies with some about 6 mos or so ago, but they were like 4x the price of dried cranberries, ounce for ounce, so I made cran cookies :)

Oh and my Vienna – configured like yours, deleting old, etc. and WAY better now!

Nora @ Buttercream Fanatic — August 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm

These all look so good that I simply cannot choose (Aka don’t have enough blueberries on hand evidently). Have a great weekend, Averie!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — August 2, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Love all the blueberry recipes. Been enjoying clafoutis and berry coffee cake all throughout summer. Can’t get enough :)

Pinned!!

Carley @ Optimstic Health — August 2, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Alright since I’m probably never going to stop buying costco bulk blueberries I’m going to have to make a few of these!

Gerry @ Foodness Gracious — August 2, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Blueberries are little gems of awesomness! My kids devour them like crazy! Great roundup..

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — August 2, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I love blueberries! Like you I like fresh for eating and frozen for baking! All of your recipes look outstanding! Now you have me craving blueberry muffin bread!!! Love all of your recipes!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I’ll take one of everything!

Lara Darling — August 2, 2013 at 9:10 pm

OMG, love this. I love the colors. Looks so vibrant. Might try this. I have a feeling this might become my new favorite cake! Great post.

Norma @ Allspice and Nutmeg — August 3, 2013 at 2:25 am

Yum! Thank you for this post. Now I have ideas on what to bake and take when we go on vacation. We’ll have some teenagers with us and some of these recipes will help us keep up with their appetites.

The Ninja Baker — August 3, 2013 at 2:38 am

Tee hee. Maybe I don’t have many blueberry recipes for baking because I like to nibble the cute little treats.

Seriously, thank you for your fantastic tips about using frozen blueberries – without thawing – into baked goods…Very much looking forward to trying out your vegan blueberry muffin, Aveire…Everything I’ve made from Averie Cooks is delicious so I’ll trust the avocado does not deter from the blueberriness of the muffin…Maybe like tofu it can take on the flavor of its fellow ingredients.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 3rd, 2013 at 3:11 pm

The avo doesn’t deter at all – those muffins are truly my fave muffins EVER! They are so moist and just the perfect muffin for me, I hope I always have a ripe avo to use in my bb muffins for the rest of time! :)

Kate@Diethood — August 3, 2013 at 6:20 am

I have enough blueberries to make each one of these recipes! I think I want to start with the smoothie…spiked! It’s the weekend. ;-D

sally @ sallys baking addiction — August 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I love ALL of these recipes, Averie! Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits to bake with. And EAT! They are so huge here right now. Like almost the size of grapes. It’s amazing! I just love that blueberry/cream cheese muffin top bread. The swirl is just gorgeous!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — August 4, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I’m with Sally – I love them all! I’ve been blueberry obsessed so I just added all of these to my to-make list. You know I’ve already made the blueberry yogurt cake – it’s the best!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 5th, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Thanks for trying that cake! I am so glad you liked it! And thanks for your BHG pins, as always :)

Trish - Mom On Timeout — August 6, 2013 at 8:39 am

Oooh blueberries! I want one of each :) Pinned!

Karen Morse @WellnessScience — August 6, 2013 at 1:10 pm

These look delicious! I love blueberries, both fresh and in baked goods. I just made a Paleo version of a Raspberry Crisp on Sunday that went up on my blog yesterday. It was a little tart with the raspberries, but I think it would be amazing if I substituted blueberries. Here is the recipe in case you want to give it a try:

BTW, your pics are awesome :-)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 6th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

thanks for the compliments on my photos & your bars sound great!

Nutmeg Nanny — August 10, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I am so in love with blueberries this season! I need to save this as a blueberry bucket list :) love it!!