Two-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars

There are only two ingredients in these bars.

And they’re gluten-free. How’s that for keeping it easy.

They’re so easy and it feels like there should be a catch, but there isn’t.

I used the new Pillsbury Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, pressed it into a pan, topped it with peanut butter cups, and baked.

Normally I’m a scratch baker and have recipes for similar bars, including Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars and Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Dough Crumble Bars. Keep those recipes gluten-free by replacing the all-purpose flour with your favorite gluten-free flour blend.

And there’s homemade vegan Peanut Butter Cups in case you’d like to do it all from scratch.

Or you can just crack open a tub of gluten-free refrigerated cookie dough and within 5 minutes, these two-ingredient wonders are ready to bake.

The most time consuming part of the recipe is unwrapping 9 peanut butter cups.

The dough on top of the lid is the reserved dough used for crumbling over the peanut butter cups.

Don’t overbake to ensure your bars stay ooey-gooey-soft-and-chewy. I baked for just over 13 minutes for super soft bars.

I’m extremely impressed with this dough, which isn’t the norm when it comes to gluten-free products.

Many gluten-free flours and blends taste like dirt, or leave items with a gritty, sandy texture. Other times gluten-free items are dry, or they’re crumbly and fall apart from the lack of gluten and its binding properties.

The bars have none of those issues. There’s no grittiness, sandiness, and they certainly don’t taste like dirt. I kind of wish they did and maybe we wouldn’t have eaten the whole pan in less than a day.

They’re incredibly moist and are melt-in-your mouth soft and tender.

The dough is buttery with plenty of chocolate chips. Many refrigerated doughs, gluten-free or not, are very skimpy on the amount chocolate chips, whereas I am not. I was pleasantly surprised at the quantity of mini chocolate chips.

And then after being doctored up with peanut butter cups, there’s definitely no shortage of chocolate. Or peanut butter. Everything is better with peanut butter, of course.

TTwo-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars (GF) - The easiest bars ever and no one will ever guess it! So good!

If you know someone who’s gluten-free and want to make something that’ll be incredibly good – not just ‘good for gluten-free’ but good regardless – these are the answer.

I want all desserts that I eat or serve, gluten-free or otherwise, to be excellent otherwise I’d rather just not have it. Don’t waste calories on something that’s mediocre. This dough holds its own and I’m very picky. My family had no idea it was storebought dough or that it was gluten-free dough at that.

Two ingredients, ready from start to finish in 20 minutes, and you’d never guess they were gluten-free.

Doesn’t get any better. Or easier.

Print Print Save Save

Two-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars (gluten-free)

There are only two ingredients in these bars, and they're gluten-free. It doesn't get any faster or easier. The bars are incredibly moist and are melt-in-your mouth soft and tender. The dough is buttery, full of chocolate chips, with peanut butter cups baked into each piece. The bars are incredibly good – not just ‘good for gluten-free’ but good regardless. Even if you don't have to be gluten-free, you'll want to put these on your list. They're perfect for anyone who's gluten-free or short on time and are ready in under 20 minutes.

Yield: one 8x8 pan, 9 generous squares

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 13 minutes

Total Time: 18 minutes

Ingredients:

one 14.3-ounce refrigerated tub Pillsbury Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
9 Reese's Peanut Butter Cups (or similar; or Homemade Peanut Butter Cups. I used the 'snack size' cups; full size may be substituted)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Press three-quarters of the dough into the base of the pan to create a smooth, flat, even base layer. Reserve the remainder.
  3. Evenly place peanut butter cups on top of dough in 3 rows of 3 cups each.
  4. Haphazardly crumble the reserved dough over the top in marble-sized pieces.
  5. Bake for 13 to 14 minutes, or until edges have set and top is just beginning to set, even if slightly undercooked, pale and glossy in the center. Do not bake longer than 14 minutes for soft bars because they firm up as they cool. Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Bars will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 4 months.

Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.

Related Recipes

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookie Bars – Bars are so much faster than cookies and these are soft, chewy, and loaded with chocolate chunks

Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Dough Crumble Bars – One of  my fave bars. A soft and chewy, dense, buttery cookie dough base, topped with peanut butter cups, and creamy sweetened condensed milk

Milky Way Chocolate Cookie Crumble Bars – The chocolate answer to the bars above

Milky Way Chocolate Cookie Crumble Bars averiecooks.com

Cookie Butter Brown Sugar Streusel Bars – Soft, chewy and moist from the cookie butter and all brown sugar dough base that’s topped with crunchy streusel bits

Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups – If you tend to have issues with cookies spreading, it’s impossible with these since they’re baked in a muffin pan. Thick, soft, chewy and extremely moist

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookie Granola Bars (no-bake, vegan, GF) – Healthy granola bars that taste like cookies

Chocolate Chunk Cookie Sticks – No butter used in these easy stick cookies

Chocolate Chunk Cookie Sticks - Recipe at averiecooks.com

Ritz Cracker Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups (No-Bake, Vegan) – Omit the crackers or use GF crackers to keep gluten-free. Make in minutes

Ritz Cracker Stuffed Peanut Butter Cups (No-Bake, Vegan) averiecooks.com

Chocolate Chip and Chunk Cookies – Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe that has spawned so many others, like Snickers and Twix

Chocolate Chip and Chunk Cookies

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (gluten-free) – The most popular recipe on my site, every year, since 2009. Easy, nobake, healthy cookie dough balls

Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls (no-bake, vegan, gluten-free)  averiecooks.com

Thanks to Pillsbury® for sponsoring today’s post. Be sure to check out the @Pillsbury #glutenfree dough on their website here, where there are also product coupons.

What’s your favorite easy recipe? Or favorite gluten-free recipe?

130 Responses to “Two-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cup Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars”

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — August 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Want!!

christie — August 7, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Call me crazy but I dont think that slapping together two prepackaged uber-processed foods equals “two ingredient” cooking.

They do look ridiculously delicious though.

• ProCook replied: — October 8th, 2013 at 8:49 am

You are absolutely correct christie

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 8th, 2013 at 10:25 am

I’m glad you like the recipe :)

• missy53186 replied: — October 15th, 2013 at 5:38 am

I have to agree with this. Yes keep it simple but it takes like 10mins to mix your own gluten free chocolate chip cookie dough. If you want peanut butter cups in it, ok that takes on a whole new level but I can’t get why people have to go to using premade, highly processed foods to make ‘recipes’. There are so many good things in life that people are missing out on by not making their own stuff not to mention the tastes of FRESH made is so much better.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — October 15th, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Not everyone is a scratch baker and for some people who have to be GF and who aren’t comfortable in the kitchen or are pressed for time or just want simplicity, this is a resource and an option for them. Not everyone has the same needs/desires and I try to respect that. 95%++ of my recipes are 100% from-scratch. This is a rare situation in that I used a pre-made item but realize that much of America uses products like this, in abundance. We all need to be more tolerant of other’s choices and step off our pedestals and stop trying to change people; they will change if they want to.

Jamie @ lifelovelemons — August 8, 2013 at 5:57 am

Love that these bars are so simple!

Shelly (Cookies and Cups) — August 8, 2013 at 3:30 pm

You had me at 2-ingredient, and peanut butter, and chocolate chip cookie dough =)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 8th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

If you know anyone who’s GF, this is the best GF baking product I’ve EVER used – and I’m sure picky!

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile — August 9, 2013 at 8:48 am

Normally my go-to bars are your peanut butter chocolate chunk cookie bars. They’re absolutely perfect! But when I’m pressed for time, this recipe seems unbeatable. And I’m glad to hear that they’re not dry, crumbly or dirt-like ;) Usually you run into that problem when you’re doing gluten-free baking. Thanks Averie!

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — August 9, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Um, how badass and easy are these?! I saw that dough in the grocery store a few weeks ago and am so excited to use it!

Shelby — August 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Puppy chow is my favorite easy recipe!

Passerby — August 25, 2013 at 2:58 pm

“Cookie dough” is not an ingredient. It’s like fifteen ingredients. Waste of my time to read this.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — August 25th, 2013 at 5:37 pm

It seems you ‘wasted’ it even more then by leaving this comment.

Have an AWESOME DAY! Sounds like you need some cheering up!

• stef replied: — September 3rd, 2013 at 3:00 pm

i agree! statements like this are outrageous. two ingredients???

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 3rd, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Sorry to outrage you. I generally don’t get outraged over cookies :)

Christa — September 28, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I saw the gluten free cookie dough a couple of weeks ago and wondered how it would be. Thanks, Averie, I think I will give it a try. The ones I tried to make from scratch tasted more like biscuits and my guys weren’t too impressed. Adding peanut butter cups will take it to an all new level. :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 28th, 2013 at 2:59 pm

You will LOVE this dough. It’s easy to work with, does not taste GF at all – and I am insanely picky (most GF dough is really gritty or tastes off in some way) and this dough will not let you down. When it comes to GF cookies and getting them to turn out, this dough is my answer :)

• Nicole replied: — June 17th, 2014 at 11:15 am

IMO this dough isn’t very good cooked. The Betty Crocker boxed gluten free mix is way better tasting. Try it too.

Shannon — December 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm

I had to laugh at the commenters that are “outraged” over a cookie recipe. Their lives must be so carefree to get that bent out of shape over something like that. I was a classically trained pastry chef before becoming a stay at home (to my very own Avery!) and guess what?? I’ve used pre packaged “crap”!

Oh the horrors! Anyway, keep on keeping on! I love your blog.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — December 11th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

Whenever I see a comment come in on this post I always have a bit of a heart attack b/c there were so many ‘outraged’ over a tube of dough. And the irony is this is the ONLY recipe in all of 2013 I used a tube of dough (or a box of cake/brownie mix, etc…none of that…just this recipe uses a convenience food). As a mom, you can relate, I’m sure! Thanks for the supportive comment & a trained pastry chef who uses ‘crap’ – amen :)

• Michelle Taylor replied: — June 27th, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Hi Averie! I was shocked at all the insensitive and ridiculous comments that were posted here. This is YOUR site and you are entitled to put whatever you want on it. I have been bullied on a site or two in my time just for expressing my opinion about the subject of the post. I thought something was inappropriate for a family/business page (like Angies list for the town I lived in) A person was asking about a good place to go to get a VERY private area of your body waxed. People said if you don’t like it then don’t read it.Well, When reading a comment about that I only made my post because the vulgarity of jokes had gotten way out of hand and disgusting. I was seriously verbally beat up about it even though I had said in my original post that even though it was just my opinion and I did not want it to be taken down and I would just remove myself from the site. I hung out incognito for a couple of weeks to do some observing and found through observation it was the very same 3 people harassing everyone and one administrator who was on their side. If you pay attention to almost ANY public site you will see this happening where it’s the same few main characters doing the bullying and each of them get 10 or twenty followers to bully right along with them. It’s ridiculous and there is really nothing we can do because every time you try to defend your actions they come back and rip you again and again, it’s a hopeless cause! I applaud you for having such ADULT and MATURE responses to them all.(I would not have been as graceful) when they start attacking my character, family, the way was raised,the way I raised my children, etc., when they know absolutely NOTHING about me I get pretty upset and pray I have the good sense to remove myself from the situation before I react badly! I personally am very happy I found this recipe version for a cookie bar. I have been cooking and baking since I was 10, most all from scratch except for cakes,I started working in a bakery in 2007 as a cake decorator apprentice until 2009. In 2006 I started dating a guy who had a huge sweet tooth and told him over and over I AM NOT A BAKER ! I just wasn’t into desserts. One day he showed up for our weekly date with 2 pie crusts and 2 bags of rhubarb and said, I think you need to make me a pie! LOL! (If I’d known what he was really like I would have slammed the door in his face and never looked back! LOL )So, I ended up getting a sweet tooth and started doing a lot of baking, from scratch. I now have some physical disabilities which prevent me from being able to stand for long periods and this looks like something both my grown kids and I would like.I would be fast and easy and I love that. I have your assurance they are tasty and can’t imagine them not being tasty. You were absolutely right when you basically alluded that you can’t please everyone and there are people out there with all kinds of tastes, financial situations,disabilities and time constraints. I was wondering if I wanted to bouble this to make more bars and have them be raised up a little higher than a flat cookie if 2 tubs would be enough for a 9X13 pan? Any guesses to that? Thanks a lot for posting this. I miss baking and have 4 huge boxes of supplies and such that will soon have to be thrown out since I am single again and don’t have someones family freeloading off my kindness anymore! Have a great day and don’t let them get you down!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — June 27th, 2014 at 2:12 pm

if I wanted to bouble this to make more bars and have them be raised up a little higher than a flat cookie if 2 tubs would be enough for a 9X13 pan? = I think yes 2 tubs would be fine if you want to make a 9×13 pan. Not sure if it will still be much ‘higher’ because this dough didn’t rise a ton but you could always do 2.5 tubs if you wanted or just play around with things.

Thanks for your support! :)

Sabrina — December 15, 2013 at 11:47 am

One question…
    I’m making these today, but I was wondering if I could used a different sized pan and they would still turn out ok?
    I don’t have an 8 in, only a 9 x 13 rectangular pan and others that seem about that size…

Please let me know if you think that would mess it up! Thanks so much:)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — December 15th, 2013 at 11:50 am

If you’re doubling the pan size & going from an 8×8 to a 9×13, then you’d want to double all other aspects of the recipe, too.

Katie Adams — January 28, 2014 at 8:09 pm

What? Only 2 ingredients? You are genius! Thanks for sharing your recipe, I am excited to give these a try.

Brittany — March 14, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Averie—don’t listen any of the negative reviews! I too usually bake from scratch, but a lot of times I don’t have time to do so. The amount of mess and dishes baking from scratch makes is too much. And for the person said cookie dough is many ingredients–obviously. Her point was that you only had to buy two items, without having to buy 15 ingredients to make the dough yourself. I loved the idea with the reeses and thats something I haven’t thought of. Anyway, I made these bars and they tasted delicious! Keep posting these simple recipes please, for people like me who are trying to find faster ways to cook!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — March 14th, 2014 at 8:10 pm

Thank you for your lovely comment and support, Brittany! And glad you loved the recipe! Yes, faster ways to still bake something at home is the name of the game for busy people who are working FT day jobs, have kids, school, etc….full lives. We are all so busy that for those of us who need a few shortcuts here and there, I am happy to create some recipes like this! Have a great weekend :)

Teresa Ochoa — March 18, 2014 at 1:07 pm

I’m drooling over here with this recipe!!!! yummy!!

Kayla Weyer — July 8, 2014 at 6:50 am

Is it possible to line the pan with parchment paper instead of foil?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — July 8th, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Yes you can. I have an easier time getting a nice tight seal with foil than parchment (which rips and/or springs up and doesn’t seal tightly in the corners for me) but do what’s easier for you.

Cynthia — July 28, 2014 at 7:10 am

Here’s my recipe for one-ingredient spaghetti and meatballs:

One can of Chef Boyardee Spagetti & Meatballs

TaDa…Dinner is done!

• Heather replied: — July 29th, 2014 at 10:59 pm

That made me giggle. :)

I’ll admit I rolled my eyes when I saw what the two ingredients were BUT I do have a brother who is GF. He loves sweets, especially PB cups and I always try to make something for him at family gatherings. These will work for those times I just don’t feel like trying. I’m sure they’ll taste better than some of my real attempts. lol

• Lindsey replied: — August 29th, 2014 at 12:31 am

Oh shut up, lol

Lindsey — August 29, 2014 at 12:26 am

HEY,

Omg the photography is simply IMAZING AND OMG I WANT TO DIE I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO LOL, This stuff looks so good that it hurts in a great way. It sucks because right now I don’t have the money to make this stuff but I want this stuff now. I have such a passion for photography, cooking art etc!!!! These look so amazing! I really would love to explore my talents in cooking! By the way great idea cookie dough and peanut butter cups GREAT IDEA ON A TIME CRUNCH. Those are the things that you forget to do unless someone reminds you!

Kacie — September 14, 2014 at 1:31 pm

These look so amazing…but all my Reese’s PB cups melted while in the oven. What is your secret to making them not melt?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — September 14th, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Melted as in totally melted down into a pile of runny chocolate? That has happened to me before but not with this recipe. These weren’t even really close to that happening for me so can’t really say what to do in the future… BUT you cannot slice into them until they’re fully cooled or they will have a tendency to get melty and runny. Also make sure to bake until the dough is *just set* and not overbake, at all. That could have done it too. But I’m sure they still taste good!