Thanksgiving Things

In lieu of Weekend Things, I’ve got Thanksgiving Things. And there’s not one suggestion of what to do with your leftovers.

1. Ellen Degeneres pinned my Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (raw, vegan, GF). Since 2009, these are consistently in the top 5 viewed recipes on my site, every year.

Last week Emeril pinned something (his pin) and the week before Bethenny Frankel did. (her pin)

Definitely things to be thankful for!

2. Cosmopolitan Magazine featured my Soft Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel Crust in their story about 15 Ridiculously Delicious Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes

And of the 15 recipes, they used my bread as their leadoff photo!

My Recipe is here

Soft Vegan Pumpkin Bread with Brown Sugar Streusel Crust - You won't miss the eggs or the butter in this fast & easy bread from averiecooks.com

3. America’s 50 Best Bakeries - Click for the rest of the list. The next time I’m in SF, I need to check out Tartine, it’s official. My parents live in Minneapolis and my mom says she can vouch for the Salty Tart as being a keeper.

1) Tartine Bakery, San Francisco

2) Dominique Ansel, New York City

3) Flour Bakery + Café, Boston

4) The Standard Baking Company, Portland, Maine

5) Macrina Bakery, Seattle

6) Levain Bakery, New York City

7) Salty Tart, Minneapolis

8) Amy’s Bread, New York City

9) Porto’s Bakery, Los Angeles

10) Pearl Bakery, Portland, Ore.

4. 100 Verbs for Recipes, from Julia Child on Dianne Jacob’s site - When you don’t want to add or place something, you can arrange, insert, lay, or leave it. Plus 95 more.

5. 30 Things to Stop Doing To Yourself – Like putting your own needs on the back burner or trying to be someone you’re not. A great list especially for the perfectionists, over-achievers, and those who are a little overly self-critical. Not that  I would know.

6. Making friends in real-life after you’re out of college, or you’ve moved to a new city, or your work from home. How do you do it? Read the heartfelt comments for lots of thoughts, struggles, and suggestions.

7. The Chemistry of Cookies – A great 4 minute video about what exactly what’s happening in your oven and in your cookies when they change from dough to cookies.

8. Speaking of cookies, my current favorite seasonal cookies are these Soft Molasses Coconut Oil Crinkle Cookies.

Not a drop of butter used and you’ll never miss it. If you’re looking for a super soft and moist molasses cookie recipe, this is the one.

Soft Molasses Coconut Oil Crinkle Cookies - No butter, no problem. My favorite molasses cookies ever. Easy recipe at averiecooks.com

9. Butter vs. Shortening – King Arthur tested 4 kinds of pie crusts made with: butter + vodka, butter, shortening + vodka, shortening

The winner is butter + vodka, then butter, then shortening + vodka, and lastly shortening. I only like to use shortening to prevent chocolate from cracking. Otherwise, I never use it.

10. And if you don’t feel like making traditional pie crust, I suggest this one this deep-dish Oreo Crust. An Oreo crust trumps a flour one any day.

No-Bake Deep-Dish Peanut Butter Snickers Pie with Salted Caramel

No-Bake Deep-Dish Peanut Butter Snickers Pie with Salted Caramel - Rich, decadent & easy recipe at avericooks.com

What are your Thanksgiving Things

Thank you for reading my blog, trying my recipes, buying my book, and for being loyal and and supportive. I am thankful for my readership because none of what I do would be possible without everyone who stops by Averie Cooks.

I hope you’re having a wonderful, relaxing, low-stress holiday with friends and family. I am cooking a feast for my family and am eating none of it other than the Cabernet Cranberry and Blueberry Sauce. As an aside, I never knew how insanely popular that recipe would be. Thanks to the hundreds of people who’ve written here and on Facebook or in emails to say you made it. I appreciate you trying it and hope your family and friends loved it, too.

I don’t like stuffing, don’t eat turkey, and like my veggies raw and crisp. Therefore, I had plenty of room for dessert. Perfect.

How’s your holiday? And if you’ve made anything, done, seen, or bought anything fabulous recently, feel free to link it up in the comments. Shopping tomorrow?

Have a great long weekend and not to spend too much money tomorrow!

31 Responses to “Thanksgiving Things”

The Ninja Baker — November 28, 2013 at 3:27 am

You know in life how sometimes you go searching for one thing and discover another? Well, I went hunting for your vegan mini chocolate chippers and stumbled into more yummy recipes. Plus Dianne Jacobs’ oh-so helpful site!

FYI Flour and Tartine are at the top of my list for must-visit bakeries, too…Although, I may be quite busy baking and tasting Averie Cooks recipes!

Happy Thanksgiving, Averie! And congratulations on all your impressive pins and mentions in the media =0

Emily @ Life on Food — November 28, 2013 at 3:37 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

Paula — November 28, 2013 at 5:09 am

Happy Thanksgiving Averie–hope you and your family have a nice day together (and congrats on the pins and recipe feature)! Jon and I are having a low key day–his family get together is this weekend. I’m going for a run (a frosty one this a.m.), fixing a little Thanksgiving themed lunch for 2 (more cranberry sauce here as well), and we’ll take in a movie this afternoon. The only shopping I plan to do involves a trip to the grocery store to re-stock my produce!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Sounds like a great shopping trip. You hopefully won’t get trampled in the produce aisle fighting over kale and spinach :)

Frosty run. Shudder. I ran last night about 9pm (was busy.all.day. prepping and cooking) and it was cold for here! Like maybe 58F. I was dying..lol

Happy TG to you & your family, Paula!

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks — November 28, 2013 at 5:32 am

Happy Thanksgiving Averie! Congrats on all the well deserved pins and features! I hope you and your family have a great thanksgiving!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Jessica and right back at you! Happy TG! :)

Laura Dembowski — November 28, 2013 at 5:37 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Averie! I don’t like the traditional foods either, so we’ll be having steak, salad, and of course dessert!

That friend thing was really interesting to read. I’ve always had a lot of trouble making friends, even when I was in school. I really feel like my parents are my only friends :( But I always have hope of something crazy fantastic happening.

Oh and pie crust. I typically do butter and shortening and love it. The best crust I made was with butter and pecans and bourbon. Amazing!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 12:17 pm

butter and pecans and bourbon = now that’s a pie crust I want to try!

Good for you for having the food you want to have today and making friends – such an interesting thing to ponder and how things work out the way they do isn’t it. Happy TG!

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talent — November 28, 2013 at 6:19 am

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ellen — November 28, 2013 at 8:01 am

Happy Thanksgiving Averie!! Congrats on getting attention from the “other (slightly more famous) Ellen”, hehe.
    As for a Thanksgiving thing from this one, how about a couple of my favorite cranberry sauces?

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Happy TG and I hope your day is relaxing and calm! :)

Kate@Diethood — November 28, 2013 at 8:40 am

Happy Thanksgiving, Averie!!! Congratulations on all the success! I am SO happy for you!!! XO

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Thanks, Kate, and enjoy your TG with your family! :) xo

Nora @ Buttercream Fanatic — November 28, 2013 at 9:40 am

What a fun list! Thanks for sharing, Averie. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

Jessica — November 28, 2013 at 10:35 am

All of this looks sooo good!

Olena@iFOODreal — November 28, 2013 at 10:51 am

Good for you, Averie! I’m amazed how well you have done with this blog and I also realize how hard you work for it! You are one amazing person and blogger! One day I hope to reach a point in my career like you.
    Happy Thanksgiving! I do not do Black Friday shopping because I’m one of those lucky people who has everything. I’m grateful for everything I have! Enjoy your day!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Thanks for the wonderful comment and yes, I work 100 hour weeks, every week. There’s no stopping – recipe development, writing, photography, washing dishes, responding to hundreds of questions every week on recipes – it all takes tons of time but I love it :) I wish I could say what you said about Black Friday, but there’s always something I ‘need’ :)

Jaclyn — November 28, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I love reading your weekend things (in this case Thanksgiving :). I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving Averie!

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

And I hope you’re having a great day with your family, Jaclyn! :) xo

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — November 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Averie! I love your blog, I love your installments of weekend things and this Thanksgiving Things list is awesome. I’m not surprised at all that famous people are pinning your recipes – they’re all amazing! Eat lots today, girl ;)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thanks, Nancy, for always leaving heartfelt & supportive comments. I appreciate it! You are a true friend :)

Katie — November 28, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Wnter squash is Thanksgiving-y right? Because I ate some of that today. My plan for dinner is the same thing I’ve been eating for the last week and it is definitely Thanksgiving-like in flavors – mashed cauliflower on stir fried green beeans and celery with sage and butter. Then, I swirl in some homemade cranberry sauce and cover it all in nooch. I looks disgusting if I stir it all together, but it is SO good.

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Wow that sounds like a gourmet vegetarian thanksgiving – mashed cauli, stir fry GBs, with sage butter& & cran sauce! And my squash I’ve been going to town on, I sprinkle with stevia or similar and nooch. It’s so unphotogenic but god, it’s so good as you know!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — November 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Congrats on the Cosmo feature! You’re a rockstar! And thanks for your amazing blog. I’m so grateful that we’ve become friends this past year and your blog always keeps me hungry in the middle of the night! :)

• Averie Sunshine replied: — November 28th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Right back at you! xo

And another side bonus is that we’re both up working til all hours. Great to have a night owl, in my timezone no less, who’s as awesome as you are :)

xo

Amber K — November 28, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Happy Thanksgiving Averie! Congrats on continually getting featured. :)

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — November 29, 2013 at 6:01 am

Happy Thanksgiving Averie! Congratulations on ALL the amazing things!

Jackie @ Marin mama cooks — November 29, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Hey sweetie! Congrats on all of the publicity, you totally deserve it! You rock this blog and you’re so creative in the kitchen, that I’m truly in awe! I’m thankful for you and your blog and that you take the time to stop by my little blog every once in a while to say hi! You’re outgoing and loving personality shines through each post you write. Anyway, I wish you continued success girl and next time your in SF we need to visit Tartine Bakery together, ok? I hope you had a fabulous holiday with the family :) xoxo, Jackie

Valerie — December 1, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Wow, congrats on the Cosmo feature, and the celeb rePin (again!). XO
    Hope you and your family had a fabulous weekend – I stayed in, hunkered down and baked. :D