Avocado, Tomato, and Mozzarella Crostini
I’m the appetizer, snack bites, small bites, and tapas queen.
And these little toasts have so many favorites. All in two quick bites.
I’ve always loved a smorgasboard of choices because usually after a few bites, my attention fades and I’m ready to try something else.
In restaurants, I’d rather order a few appetizers rather than one entree. That way my risk is spread out in case I end up with a dud.
And this is just the kind of appetizer I go for. Simple, satisfying, and ready in less than 15 minutes. It’s like bruschetta, but with avocado and mozzarella. And everything is better with avocado and cheese.
So when I found myself with ripe tomatoes and avocados, rather than making (another) salad, I baked them onto sliced French bread, drizzled with olive oil, and topped with mozzarella and fresh basil.
The bread is lightly toasted and picks up the subtle flavor of the olive oil and it’s the perfect sturdy and slightly crunchy base.
The creaminess from the avocado, the gooey cheese, and the juicy tomatoes are such a great combo, and the basil compliments it all. Balsamic reduction is excellent drizzled over the top. I remembered that right after I put my camera away.
It’s a fast, easy, and goofproof party appetizer and everyone loves avocado. At least everyone at my parties. Just double, triple, etc. the recipe as necessary.
And for those who have a drink in one hand and can’t deal with juggling silverware and a plate in the other, there’s no need for either. Bite, bite, done.
Avocado, Tomato, and Mozzarella Crostini (vegetarian)
Such a simple appetizer, but a very satisfying one, and ready in less than 15 minutes. It's like bruschetta, but with avocado and mozzarella. The bread is lightly toasted and picks up the subtle flavor of the olive oil and it's the perfect sturdy and slightly crunchy base. The creaminess from the avocado, the gooey cheese, and the juicy tomatoes are such a great combo, and the basil compliments it all. Balsamic reduction is excellent drizzled over the top. It's a fast, easy, and goofproof party appetizer. Double, triple, etc. as needed.
Yield: 8 small crostini, double/triple recipe as necessary
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: about 8 minutes oven, 1-2 minutes broiler
Total Time: about 12 minutes
8 slices French bread, about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick (I used fresh French bread, day-old ok)
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil, drizzled
1 medium ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced small
1 medium ripe tomato, diced small (I used an unpeeled Roma)
about 1/2 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
salt and black pepper, to taste
chiffonade about 10 fresh basil leaves, for garnishing
balsamic reduction, optional for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray.
- Place bread on tray, and evenly drizzle slices with olive oil.
- Bake for about 7 to 8 minutes, or until bread is very lightly toasted or as golden as preferred. Ovens and bread vary, keep a close eye so it doesn't burn.
- While bread is toasting, dice the avocado and tomato.
- Remove bread from oven.
- Turn oven to the broiler setting, high power. Keep the oven rack in the middle (don't move to the top racks because it's too likely to burn).
- Top all bread slices with about 1 1/2 tablespoons each of avocado and tomato.
- Top all bread slices with about 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese each.
- When broiler is ready, place baking sheet in oven and broil for about 1 minute, or just until cheese begins to melt. It happens fast so keep a very watchful eye on things. I keep the door ajar and peer into the oven the entire time to make sure nothing is burning.
- Remove from oven and evenly sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Optionally, garnish with basil and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Serve immediately. Crostini is best warm and fresh.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Chipotle Avocado Cucumber Flatbreads (vegetarian, vegan if vegan flatbread is used)
Loaded BBQ Chicken Nugget Nachos (with vegan option)
Avocado, Cream Cheese, and Salsa-Stuffed Puff Pastries – One of my most popular recipes in 2012 and 2013
Balsamic Reduction (vegan, GF) – So easy and ready in 10 minutes
Cheater’s Guacamole – 3 minute recipe. No veggie, onion, or garlic chopping required