Easy 30-Minute One-Skillet Lasagna
My family loves lasagna but I don’t love making traditional lasagna. Too much work and it takes too long. How’s that for being brutally honest.
That’s where this easy, 30-minute, one-skillet lasagna comes into play.
There’s Italian-seasoned ground beef with sweet Vidalia onions and garlic for layers of flavor along with tender lasagna noodles that are coated with tomato sauce.
You don’t even have to boil the noodles separately. They cook in the same skillet you brown the onions and ground beef in. Love it when I only dirty one pan to make a meal and even better when there’s planned leftovers.
There’s creamy ricotta and fresh mozzarella cheeses because you can’t have lasagna without plenty of cheese.
I topped off the lasagna with fresh basil because tomatoes and mozzarella taste that much better with the peppery bite of basil.
Easy 30-Minute One-Skillet Lasagna
This easy, 30-minute, one-skillet lasagna is so much easier and faster than traditional lasagna. There's Italian-seasoned ground beef with sweet Vidalia onions and garlic for layers of flavor along with tender lasagna noodles that are coated with tomato sauce. You don't even have to boil the noodles separately. There's creamy ricotta and fresh mozzarella cheeses because you can't have lasagna without plenty of cheese. I topped off the lasagna with fresh basil because tomatoes and mozzarella taste that much better with the peppery bite of basil.
Yield: serves 4 to 6
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: about 25 minutes
Total Time: about 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced or pressed with a garlic press
- 1 pound ground beef (I used extra lean)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound lasagna noodles (about 8 noodles), broken into bite-sized pieces
- two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes and juice (I used petite diced, no-salt-added)
- one 15-ounce can tomato sauce (marinara or red pasta sauce may be substituted)
- 3/4 cup water
- salt, optional and to taste
- heaping 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced into thin rounds
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- To a large skillet (at least 12 inches in diameter and 3-4 inches deep; I use this 4-quart All-Clad pan) or Dutch oven, add the olive oil, onions, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Stir intermittently.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Stir intermittently.
- Add the Italian seasoning, pepper, and stir to combine.
- Add the lasagna noodles and cover them with the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and water. Cover pan and allow sauce to simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until noodles are tender and cooked through.
- Taste and add salt, to taste. This will vary based on how salty the tomatoes and tomato sauce are, and personal preference. Note that both cheeses you're about to add also have salt. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments (salt, more pepper, more Italian seasoning, etc.) as necessary. Stir everything well.
- Add the ricotta by tablespoonfuls, evenly distributed. Stir gently to incorporate but don't overmix.
- Turn the heat to low, add the mozzarella, evenly distributed. Cover skillet with a lid for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until mozzarella melts.
- Garnish with basil, evenly distributed, and serve immediately. Lasagna is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 or in the freezer for up to 4 months. Reheat gently as necessary.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
The Best 30-Minute Lasagna Soup – All the flavor of lasagna minus the work! Loaded with juicy tomatoes, sausage, and topped with melted cheese! Easy, hearty, comfort food that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
Lightened Up Cheesy Quinoa Lasagna Bake (vegetarian/vegan, GF) – This meatless & noodle-less lasagna is hearty, comforting & healthier so you can enjoy your favorite comfort food without worry!
Lightened Up Vegetable Lasagna Casserole – An easy and healthy twist on lasagna that won’t weigh you down!
Easy Chicken Manicotti – Pasta shells stuffed with chicken, coated in red sauce, and smothered with loads of melted cheese! Pure comfort food that’s packed with flavor that the whole family will love!
Extra Cheesy Tortellini Bake – Three-cheese tortellini baked with pasta sauce AND 3 more cheeses! Cheese lovers will adore this easy comfort food that’s ready in 30 minutes!
Three Cheese Baked Ziti – Mozzarella, fontina, and parmesan melted together are divine!! An easy, make-ahead meal that’s also freezer-friendly and so tasty! The whole family will love it!
Easy 20-Minute Lighter Fettucine Alfredo – The creamy and cheesy taste you crave minus the extra fat and calories! A fast and easy recipe that’s perfect for busy weeknights that everyone loves!
Tomato, Mozzarella & Basil Quinoa Salad (GF) – Trying to keep meals healthier and lighter? Make this easy, refreshing, and satisfying salad!