Easy 30-Minute Turkey Noodle Soup
This is chicken noodle soup’s turkey cousin. And it’s perfect for your leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
You know you have some. Or maybe you have a ton like I did.
We already celebrated our family’s Thanksgiving because we’re in Mexico this week (follow me on Instagram for pictures). Most years I plan for enough turkey for second helpings on the big day and plenty of leftovers on the days following, but this year I way overbought and had tons of leftover turkey. Turkey soup to the rescue.
It’s hearty, comforting, full of rich flavors, and fairly healthy all things considered. I used white breast meat because that’s what I had but adding some dark is okay too.
If you don’t have leftover turkey to shred, you can certainly use shredded chicken. Or just make Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup which this recipe is derived from. There’s a 1 minute video in that recipe post that shows exactly how I make it.
You can use turkey in most any of the recipes in the Related Recipes section below that call for chicken. Shredded chicken or shredded turkey are pretty interchangeable in my soup recipes.
I added sage, rosemary, and thyme which make the soup taste like Thanksgiving all over again. For my family who all love Thanksgiving, that’s a very good thing and they savored the soup.
Easy 30-Minute Turkey Noodle Soup
This is chicken noodle soup's turkey cousin and it's perfect for your leftover Thanksgiving turkey. It's hearty, comforting, full of rich flavors, and fairly healthy all things considered. I used white breast meat but some dark is okay. If you don't have leftover turkey to shred, you can certainly use shredded chicken. I added sage, rosemary, and thyme which make the soup taste like Thanksgiving all over again.
Yield: about 12 cups
Prep Time: about 5 minutes
Cook Time: about 30 minutes
Total Time: about 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced thin (about 1 1/2 large carrots)
- 1 cup celery, sliced thin (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 medium onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 64 ounces (8 cups) low-sodium turkey or chicken broth (see Tip below)
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles (or your favorite noodles or pasta)
- about 1 to 2 cups water, optional and as necessary (see Notes below)
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cooked turkey (white or dark meat, chicken may be substituted)
- salt, to taste
- To a large Dutch oven or stockpot, add the oil, carrots, celery, onion, and sauté over medium-high heat for about 7 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften. Stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the broth (Tip - If you have leftover cooking juices from your turkey, you can use that in place of the broth, i.e. 1 cup cooking juice can be substituted for 1 cup broth), sage, rosemeary, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bring to a boil. Allow mixture to boil gently for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are fork-tender.
- Add the noodles and check the liquid level. Notes - If it's low (depending on pot size, etc.), add 1 to 2 cups water or as necessary, and boil mixture for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until noodles are soft and cooked through. At any time while making the soup, if the overall liquid level is lower than you like and you prefer more broth, adding a cup or two of water is okay. The noodles soak up a lot of water and continue to do so for a few hours as the soup cools. As the soup is finishing, you will adjust the salt level.
- Add the turkey (if you like meatier soup or have a lot on hand, add 3 cups) and boil 1 to 2 minutes, or until turkey is warmed through.
- Taste soup and add salt to taste. I added about 1 tablespoon but this will vary based on how salty the broth used is, how salty the turkey is, how much water you added, and personal preference. Make any necessary seasoning adjustments (i.e. more salt, pepper, herbs, etc.) and serve immediately. Soup will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 to 7 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Adapted from Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
15 Best Fast and Easy Soup Recipes – Warm up with these easy soup recipes! Most are ready in under 30 minutes and perfect for busy weeknights! Hearty, comforting, and so good!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – Classic, comforting, and tastes just like grandma made but way easier and faster! This soup is AMAZING and it’ll be your new favorite recipe!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade White Chicken Chili – Hearty, healthy, loaded with tender chicken, and packed with bold flavor! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves! It’ll be on rotation all winter!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup – Chicken, tomatoes, corn, black beans, avocado, cheese, and addictively crunchy tortilla strips! Fast, easy weeknight meal, and better than from a restaurant!
Easy 30-Minute Homemade Chicken Tortellini Soup – An fun spin on classic chicken noodle soup using cheese tortellini! Fast, easy, comfort food that just hits the spot! You’ll make it over and over again!
Easy 30-Minute Chicken Vegetable Soup – Extra veggies instead of noodles in this healthy, easy chicken soup that’s so fast to make! Hearty, filling, and satisfying! Perfect for weeknight dinners and chilly nights!
Easy 30-Minute Kale, White Bean, and Chicken Soup – Loaded with juicy chicken, healthy kale, and tender beans! Easy, hearty, and satisfying! Love it when something healthy tastes so good!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing! One of the most popular recipes on my blog and gets RAVE reviews!
Easy 30-Minute Minestrone Soup (Better-Than-Olive-Garden-Copycat) – Homemade is always better and this soup is amazing! The best minestrone ever! Perfect for busy weeknights and it’s healthy!
Weight Loss Vegetable Soup – Trying to shed some pounds or get healthier? Try this easy, flavorful soup that’s ready in 30 minutes and loaded with veggies! Very filling and hearty! Zero WW points!
Loaded Cheesy Chicken Potato Chowder – Potatoes, chicken, carrots, corn and more! Thick, creamy, rich, and wonderfully cheesy! Fast and easy comfort food that everyone loves!
Loaded Cheesy, Bacon, Corn, and Potato Chowder – Loaded with all the good stuff! Bacon, cheese, and more! Hearty, comforting, fast, and easy! A dinnertime favorite that’s perfect for busy nights!