Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Marshmallow Stuffed Rice Krispie Bars
These bars need no explanation.
No urging you to make them.
This isn’t exactly a recipe for chipotle lentils and vegetables. Not that they’re not great and all, but c’mon.
Chocolate chip cookie dough, marshmallows and more chocolate chips…
Sandwiched in between two layers of rice krispie treats…
And topped with chocolate frosting…
…I hope I don’t have to prod and urge you to make these.
No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough & Marshmallow Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats with Chocolate Frosting
This is 3 Step Recipe: Cookie Dough + Rice Krispie mixture + Chocolate Frosting
You are sandwiching the cookie dough and marshmallows in between two rice krispie layers and then adding frosting to the top.
1. For the Raw Vegan Cookie Dough, I used my own recipe which is as follows
2/3 c cashews
1/3 c oats
2 to 3 tbsp agave (or maple syrup or a maple/agave blend)
1/ 2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c chocolate chips
Directions: First blend the cashews and oats in a Vitamix or food processor until you have a powder (for Vita users this is less than 10 seconds). Next, add the agave and vanilla extract. Blend again for about 10 seconds. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand. The cookie dough takes 90 seconds to make.
2. For the Rice Krispie Bar Mixture, I used an adaptation of my own recipe
1 10.5-oz bag of marshmallows
4 to 5 c Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 c butter (1 stick)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Directions: Take most of the bag of marshmallows (reserving about 1 c of marshmallows) and add them to a microwave-safe bowl with the butter. Microwave until the marshmallows melt which is probably about 90 seconds but check and stir every 45 seconds. Stir/whip the marshmallows and melted butter with a spoon; add the vanilla extract, and stir again. Add in the Rice Krispies cereal. (If you like gooey-ier/chewier bars, use about 4 c of cereal and if you like drier/denser bars use more towards 5 c of cereal). Stir to combine. This step comes together in about 3 minutes of active work.
3. For the Chocolate Frosting, I used an adaptation of my own recipe (or feel free to simply melt chocolate chips and use melted chocolate as your frosting)
1 c chocolate chips
1/4 c cream or milk
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Optional: sugar, powdered sugar, or stevia to taste
Directions: Melt chips in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second increments in microwave. Stir until smooth and then add remaining ingredients and stir until combined.
1. Make the Raw Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough first and set that aside. You could double the recipe if you really want extra cookie dough but there is enough going on with these bars I don’t think you’ll need to.
2. Make the Rice Krispie bar mixture and press half of it into a foil-lined or parchment-lined and sprayed 9 x 13 pan (I am all about easy cleanup so I always line my pans). When pressing the mixture into the pan, press it in firmly. If it’s sticky and you don’t want to use your bare hands or if it’s sticking everywhere, use rubber gloves and/or use a pat of butter/margarine on your hands when pressing it in. Works like a charm.
3. Take the cookie dough and crumble it over the rice krispie layer.
4. Sprinkle the remaining marshmallows reserved in your 10.5 oz bag over the top (about 1 c)
5. Sprinkle 1/2 c to 3/4 c chocolate chips (or butterscotch, white chocolate, or peanut butter chips) over the top
6. Press the remaining half of the Rice Krispie mixture over top. Press firmly to seal all the goodies in.
7. Now make the frosting and then spread it over the top with the back of a spatula. You could double the frosting recipe if you want a very thick layer.
Allow to cool and set in the fridge or freezer for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving. Store on countertop, in the fridge, or in the freezer and pull one or two squares out 15 minutes before you want to eat them. I freeze all my desserts and keep a stash on hand in my freezer.
Notes: This recipe can be very easily adapted to be vegan (use margarine not butter, and use vegan marshmallows rather than traditional). And, make it gluten-free by using Rice Krispies Gluten Free cereal or another GF cereal if you are very gluten sensitive
Gather your ingredients and make the cookie dough
Detailed Step by step pictures of dough making are here but it takes literally 90 seconds and you’re done
Gather the Rice Krispie Mixture ingredients
Prepare to melt the butter and marshmallows
Add in everything else
Press half the mixture firmly into a sprayed 9 x 13 (or similar) sized pan
Add the cookie dough crumbles
Add the marshmallows + chocolate chips
“Seal” the bars up with the remaining half of the rice krispie mixture
Make the chocolate frosting and frost
Allow to chill, slice, and serve.
These bars have:
the chewiness from the rice krispie layer as well as the whole marshmallows
the crunch from the chocolate chips
the oooh and ahhh factor from the cookie dough sandwiched in
and the chocolate frosting just tops it all off!
There are a few “food groups” I really love:
Marshmallow Desserts like Peanut Butter Marshmallow Bars with Vegan Chocolate Frosting (Gluten Free)
Rice Krispie Bars:
Desserts in general just make me happy!
This entire sugarfest from start to finish is a 15 minute dessert and it’s no-bake. Yay for not having to fire up the oven in the summer.
If you like:
And if you like Marshmallows
And if you like Chocolate
These are for you!
1. Do you like:
If you say no, you’re reading the wrong blog!
Rice Krispie Treats? (childhood staple for me!)
What’s your favorite item from the choices above?
2. Best thing you ate or did over the weekend?
Ok it’s a tie for me between these bars and the white chocolate bars I made on the food front.
On the life front, just being with Skylar and enjoying the summer weather, a couple nice runs, and some yoga was great.
The 3 winners of the barre3 DVD giveaway will be announced next post
And if you’re just catching up on posts from the weekend, here are mine since Friday:
- Scenes from Saturday
- The Great Fundraising Act
- Hard Work & Luck (thank you for the awesome comments on this post!)
- barre3 Giveaway
- Grocery Store Shuffle
- Included No Longer