Chocolate Peanut Butter Turtle Cookies
It was about time I paired the two.
The cookies are soft, chewy, wonderfully thick, and have so many great flavors and textures in one. I used Reese’s Pieces Soft Peanut Butter Cookies as my inspiration, and chocolate-ified the dough base.
Biting down through the chocolate-peanut butter cookie dough, and getting a taste of the Turtles with the crunchy pecans and gooey caramel, combined with the salted caramel drizzle is magical.
The batch makes only makes eleven (rather large) cookies, which I think is a blessing. Double the recipe if you need more or love cardio.
With the holidays approaching, baking needs to be fast, fun, and easy and these cookies deliver. But they taste like you slaved over them.
It’s guaranteed that people’s eyes will light up when they spot these on your holiday dessert platter.
Right now there’s a #SkippyYIPPEE holiday Pinterest contest for a chance to win a lifetime supply (considered 600 jars – 12 jars a year for up to 50 years) of SKIPPY peanut butter for one lucky winner or one thousand dollars for other winners.
Enter the #SkippyYIPPEECookies Sweepstakes for a chance to win nutterific peanut butter and supplies for the ultimate peanut butter-filled holiday. Enter for your chance to win one of four prizes by doing the following:
- Follow SKIPPY brand on Pinterest
- Create a new board called #SkippyYIPPEECookies Sweepstakes
- Pin three (3) SKIPPY cookie pins from this board to your #SkippyYIPPEECookies Sweepstakes board
- Pin at least three (3) other holiday pins (ingredients, holiday themed décor) to your #SkippyYIPPEECookies Sweepstakes board for a total of six (6) pins to complete your perfect YIPPEE holiday. Official rules.
Week 1: Ultimate kitchen baking kit (including a year supply of SKIPPY peanut butter, a kitchen utensil set, a set of mixing bowls, and a hand blender)
Week 2: $1,000
Week 3: $1,000
Week 4: Lifetime supply of SKIPPY peanut butter
Chocolate Peanut Butter Turtle Cookies
The cookies are soft, chewy, wonderfully thick, and have so many great flavors and textures in one. Biting down through the chocolate-peanut butter cookie dough, and getting a taste of the Turtles with the crunchy pecans and gooey caramel, combined with the salted caramel drizzle is magical. I used storebought Turtles and salted caramel sauce to save time. The cookies are fun, easy, and taste like you slaved over them. It's guaranteed that people's eyes will light up when they spot these on your holiday dessert platter.
Yield: 11 large cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 9 to 10 minutes
Total Time: 3+ hours, for dough chilling
1 large egg
3/4 cup SKIPPY Creamy Peanut Butter or SKIPPY Roasted Honey Nut Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee granules, optional but recommended
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt, optional and to taste
about 11 Turtles (homemade or storebought; try Nestle Turtles, Hershey's Pot of Gold Pecan Caramel Clusters, or Russell Stover Pecan Delights)
salted caramel sauce, for drizzling (homemade or storebought)
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or large mixing bowl and electric mixer) combine the egg, peanut butter, butter, sugars, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 4 minutes.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, cocoa powder, optional but recommended instant espresso granules (doesn't make the cookies taste like coffee; serves to intensify and bring out the chocolate flavor), baking soda, optional salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Using a large cookie scoop, 1/4-cup measure, or your hands, form approximately 11 equal-sized mounds of dough, roll into balls, and flatten slightly. Even though cookies will spread in the oven, make sure dough mounds are wider than the Turtles; eyeball a Turtle prior to forming dough mounds to make sure.
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a baking sheet with a Silpat or spray with cooking spray. Place dough mounds on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart (I bake 8 cookies per sheet) and bake for about 9 to 10 minutes (for super soft cookies, longer for more well-done cookies), or until edges have set and tops are just set; don't overbake which is easy to do with dark-colored cookies (I baked one batch for 11 minutes and after cooling they were too dry for my liking).
- After removing cookies from oven, carefully add 1 Turtle to the center of each cookie, pressing it down slightly so it adheres. As you press down, cookies will likely develop a few cracks around the perimeter, this is okay.
- Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet (I don't use a rack) for about 10 minutes before drizzling with caramel sauce and serving.
- Cookies will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months. Alternatively, unbaked cookie dough can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 4 months, so consider baking only as many cookies as desired and save the remaining dough to be baked in the future when desired.
Adapted from Reese’s Pieces Soft Peanut Butter Cookies
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
My cookbook is all about peanut butter! Peanut Butter Comfort contains 100+ peanut butter recipes
Reese’s Pieces Soft Peanut Butter Cookies – Peanut butter lovers’ will go nuts for these super soft cookies loaded with Reese’s Pieces & chocolate!
Thick and Soft Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies (GF) – NO butter & NO flour used in these thick cookies that taste like peanut butter brownies!
Inside-Of-A-Peanut-Butter-Cup Cookies – Soft cookies that taste like the inside of peanut butter cups thanks to a special ingredient!
Homemade Turtles – Fast, easy, no-bake and just 4 ingredients! Chewy, gooey, salty-and-sweet! Homemade always tastes better!
Easy 4-Ingredient Perfect Peanut Butter Cookies – Soft, chewy, and made with an ingredient you’d never guess! It works and they’re perfect!
The Best Turtle Brownies – Super fudgy and loaded with chocolate, pecans and caramel! So.crazy.good!
Soft and Chewy Triple Peanut Butter Cookies – PB is used 3 different ways in these melt-in-your mouth cookies! Batch size of just 8 cookies when you don’t ‘need’ dozens laying around!
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter-Stuffed Peanut Butter Cookie Cups – Two kinds of PB in an extra-thick, soft, and chewy cookie!
The Best and Easiest Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce – Ready in 15 minutes & tastes 1000x better than any storebought sauce ever could!
Post brought to you by Skippy. The recipe, text, images, and opinions expressed are my own.