Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
I’ve always loved Funfetti. Who can resist all those sprinkles buried in soft, fluffy cake.
Aside from my seven year old daughter, there’s one person who loves sprinkles even more.
Her name is Jessica and she’s having a baby! I’m sure you ‘know’ Jessica, it’s pretty hard not to.
With her amazingly creative recipes that she’s been cranking out for 5+ years on her blog, her newly launched cookbook, and her witty and totally down-to-earth sense of humor and charm that makes you feel like you’re having a conversation with your best girlfriend, she’s a best friend to us all.
To celebrate, lots of friends and I are throwing her a virtual baby shower. We’re all making a dish in her honor and when thinking about what to make, I instantly knew it had to have tons of sprinkles.
Enter this Funfetti cake with sprinkles in the batter and a nice wall of sprinkles on the buttercream. Sprinkle overload, such a beautiful thing.
The recipe is as close to cake mix Funfetti that I’ve been able to replicate at home. I have no shame in admitting my love for that stuff, but it’s nice to be able to pronounce all the ingredients and make a scratch cake in literally 5 minutes.
It’s an easy, no mixer cake that’s adapted my favorite buttermilk cake base that I’ve used for so many cakes including Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze, Lemon Buttermilk Cake with Lemon Glaze, Blueberry Muffin and Buttermilk Pancakes Cake, Cream Cheese-Swirled Cherry and Mixed Berries Cake, The Best Pineapple Upside-Down Cake, and Caramelized Banana Upside-Down Cake and many more.
I love the cake base because it’s fast and easy to make, and the cakes always turn out supremely moist, springy, and fluffy thanks to buttermilk, sour cream, and oil. That trifecta of moisturizing and tenderizing ingredients makes it impossible to have a dry cake.
I wish I could have given Jessica a big fat piece of this cake, but my daughter’s eyes lit up when she saw it and she had no problem inhaling it.
She had a frosting mustache and sprinkles everywhere to prove it.
Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
The recipe is as close to cake mix Funfetti that I’ve been able to replicate at home. I love that stuff, but it’s nice to be able to pronounce all the ingredients and make a scratch cake in literally 5 minutes. This easy, no mixer cake is adapted my favorite buttermilk cake base that I’ve used for so many cakes. I love the cake base because it’s fast and easy to make, and the cakes always turn out supremely moist, springy, and fluffy thanks to buttermilk, sour cream, and oil. That trifecta of moisturizing and tenderizing ingredients makes it impossible to have a dry cake. Between the sprinkles in the batter and a nice wall of sprinkles on the buttercream, you’ll be in sprinkle overload, such a beautiful thing.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch salt, optional and to taste
1 large egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup sour cream, lite is okay (plain Greek yogurt may be substituted)
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup sprinkles, or to taste
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pinch salt, optional and to taste (helps offset the sweetness)
1 1/2 to 2 cups confectioners’ sugar (I use 2 cups)
1/3 cup sprinkles, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8-by-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cake – In a large bowl, whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, optional salt; set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, sour cream, oil, and vanilla.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, mixing lightly with a spoon or folding with a spatula until just combined. Small lumps will be present, don’t overmix or try to stir them smooth.
- Gently stir in the sprinkles, taking care not to overmix or they could bleed.
- Turn batter out into prepared pan and bake for about 30 minutes (start checking at 25 minutes), or until center is set and not jiggly, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter.
- Place pan on a wire rack and allow cake to cool. While cake cools, make the frosting.
- Vanilla Buttercream Frosting – To a large bowl, add the butter, vanilla, optional salt, and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar while beating with a handheld electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Turn frosting out onto cooled cake, smoothing it lightly with a spatula or offset knife.
- Evenly sprinkle the sprinkles before slicing and serving. Cake will keep airtight at room temperature for up to 5 days (I’m comfortable storing frosted cakes at room temp, if you’re not store in the fridge) or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Cake base adapted from Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze
All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Bean Browned Butter Glaze – You won’t miss chocolate at all after trying this cake! The glaze is just heavenly!
Softbatch Funfetti Sugar Cookies – Move over cake mix. These easy, super soft cookies are from scratch & loaded with sprinkles!
Lemon Buttermilk Cake with Lemon Glaze – An easy little cake with big lemon flavor! Soft, fluffy, and foolproof if you like puckering up!
Cookie Butter Funfetti Triple Chip Bars – Cookie Butter and sprinkles in one easy bar!
Sweet Cream Vanilla Coffee Cake – You’ll never guess what special ingredient keeps this fast & easy cake so soft and moist!
No Ice Cream Maker Funfetti Cake Bakker Golden Oreo Ice Cream – No ice cream maker? No problem!
Here’s a participating list of bloggers cooking and baking today in Jessica’s honor! Stop by their blogs and say hi!
trashed up salads
- Gimme Some Oven – Asian Broccoli Salad with Peanut Sauce
- The Lemon Bowl – Brussels Slaw with Tahini Dressing and Za’atar Crostini
- With Style & Grace – Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon
trashed up cocktails
- Dine & Dish – Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
- Food For My Family – Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Minimalist Baker – Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshakes
- Stylish, Stealthy & (sometimes) Healthy – Apple Cider Shandy
- A Spicy Perspective – Preggy Punch Mocktail
- Girl vs. Dough – Boozy Maple Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Honestly Yum – Maple Bacon Pisco Sour
- Cookin Canuck – Pink Grapefruit Margaritas
- A Thought For Food – Mezcal Citrico Cocktail
- A House in the Hills – Pomegranate Rosemary Spritzer
- The Novice Chef – Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider
- Bran Appetit – Citrus Cider Punch Floats
trashed up burgers
- Edible Perspective – Meatloaf Veggie Burgers with Mashed Potatoes + Gravy
- The Little Kitchen – Salmon BLT Sliders with an Avocado Aioli & Brie
- Daisy At Home – Balsamic Beef Burger with Mac and Cheese
- Cookies & Cups – Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
- Climbing Grier Mountain – Trashed-Up Steak Burger with Chicken Fried Bacon & Dijon Gravy
- Dessert For Two – Bleu Cheese Burgers + Sweet Potato Fries
- Country Clever – Fig Rosemary Roast Chicken Brie Brussels Sprout Panini
- Foodie Crush – The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Lady and Pups – Spicy Sambal Chicken Meatball Sub with Eggs
- Two Peas & Their Pod – Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Bake Your Day – Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
trashed up tacos
- Spoon Fork Bacon – Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- The Fauxmartha – Boozy Beef and Butternut Tacos
- With Food + Love – Harvest Hash Breakfast Tacos
- Mountain Mama Cooks – Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos with Bacon
- Heather Christo – Bahn Mi Tacos with Spicy Sriracha Honey Sauce
- A Couple Cooks – Loaded Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Fitnessista – San Diego Lobster Street Tacos
- Bakers Royale – Trash’d Street Tacos
trashed up desserts
- Table for Two – Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
- My Name is Yeh – Mini Vanilla Loaf Cakes, All Trashed Up
- Picky Palate – Pumpkin Spice Butterscotch Sprinkle Cupcakes
- Sprinkle Bakes – Cake Batter Confetti Cupcakes
- Averie Cooks – Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Sweet Phi – Trashed Up Shortbread Cookie Bars
- Love & Olive Oil – Loaded Junk Food Brownies
- Lauren’s Latest – Bakery Sugar Cookies
- Cookie + Kate – Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourishing Foodie – Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- The Sugar Hit – Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake
- Hummingbird High – Breakfast Cereal Cake Donuts
- Top With Cinnamon – Triple Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Crumb Cake
- Bake at 350 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sundaes
- Simple Bites – Lemon Layer Cake
- Bakerella – Baby Block Cake Pops
- She Wears Many Hats – Chocolate Covered Grapefruit
trashed up pizza
- Bev Cooks – Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
- Rachel Cooks – Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust
- Foodie With Family – Trashed Up Barbecue Turkey Pizza
- Shutterbean – Pesto Potato Bacon Pizza
- i am a food blog – Grilled Cheese Pizza
- My Life as a Mrs – Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
- Simply Scratch – Steak + Blue Cheese Pizza with Crispy Fried Shallots and Honey Balsamic Drizzle
- The Beeroness – Beer Cheese Tater Tot Pizza
- Yes I Want Cake – Roasted Pumpkin Pizza
- Two Red Bowls – Bacon Mashed Potato Pizza
- Dula Notes – Pork Bahn Mi Pizza
- Weelicious – Trashed Up Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Take a Megabite – Roasted Beet Pizza
- Hungry Girl Por Vida – Hard Cider Braised Pork with Sour Cherries and Cheesy Polenta