Easy 30-Minute Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
My daughter, like most kids, would eat mac and cheese for every meal.
Homemade mac and cheese is her idea of pure comfort food, bliss, and happiness.
This is a basic, straight-forward, no-frills recipe the whole family will love. No breadcrumbs, no lobster, no bacon. Just classic macaroni and cheese.
It’s easy, ready in 30 minutes, and uses real cheese. No processed blocks of cheese or neon orange powder.
Nothing against those because I grew up on them, but this recipe uses a combination of extra sharp cheddar and parmesan. Grate your own cheddar rather than buying pre-grated because that cheese is resistant to melting.
Use your favorite shape of pasta. I like using medium shells but rotini or bowtie are fun, too.
I used Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk and it’s so irresistibly creamy and thick but with fewer calories than skim milk. Eating more plant-based protein is a great goal and Silk Cashewmilk or Silk Almond Milk are my milks of choice for baking and smoothies.
They’re so low in calories and fat, they’re vegan and dairy-free, and I always get impressive-tasting results. It’s the perfect match between tasty and guilt-free.
The recipe halves easily but I make it as written because I have a real mac and cheese fan. I freeze leftovers in single-serve portions and can pull them out and re-heat at a moment’s notice. I love planned leftovers.
Easy 30-Minute Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
This is a basic, straight-forward, no-frills recipe the whole family will love for classic macaroni and cheese. It’s easy, ready in 30 minutes, and uses real cheese. Grate your own cheddar rather than buying pre-grated because that cheese is resistant to melting. Use your favorite milk and shape of pasta. The recipe halves easily but I make it as written, freeze the planed leftovers in single-serve portions, and can pull them out and re-heat at a moment’s notice.
Yield: serves 8 (recipe halves easily)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: about 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound medium-sized pasta shells, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- scant 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Silk Unsweetened Cashewmilk (or the milk of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry ground mustard, optional
- 3 cups (about 12 ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated (grate your own because pre-grated cheese in bags doesn't melt well)
- 1 cup (about 4 ounces) parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain, and set pasta.
- To a large skillet, add the butter and heat over medium heat to melt.
- Add the flour and whisk constantly until the mixture turns light brown and has bubbled for about 2 minutes. Cook long enough to cook off the raw flour taste, but not so long it gets overly browned.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly, making sure to smooth out any possible clumps that formed.
- Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, optional dry mustard, and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the cheddar, parmesan, and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Add the pasta and stir to evenly coat. Depending on preference, if macaroni and cheese is on the thicker side, add a splash of water or milk to thin out to taste. I haven't needed to do this, but it's an option in case.
- Serve immediately. Recipe is best warm and fresh, but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 4 months. Reheat very gently prior to serving leftovers so cheese doesn't separate.
Recipe from Averie Cooks. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Macaroni and Cheese Baked Cheese Balls – A perfect use for leftover macaroni! Bread it, bake it, devour it!
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup (Better-Than-Panera Copycat) – Make the best soup of your life at home in 1 hour! Beyond words amazing!
Cheese Lover’s Fontina and Mozzarella Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Warm, gooey comfort food at its finest! Best & cheesiest grilled cheese ever!
Mini Grilled Cheese and Tomato Sandwiches – Adorable, perfect two-bite party appetizers!
Skinny Two-Ingredient 110-Calorie Mozzarella Cheese Sticks – Comfort food goes skinny so you can still indulge without the bulge!
Post brought to you by Silk. The recipe, images, text, and opinions expressed are my own. Sign up for the Silk newsletter here.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.